Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is august the start of autumn in Ireland and not the rest of Europe.

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Cubik

Today was certainly miserable - and quite cool. It can be that way in the summer though, just as there can be sweltering hot days in August also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

It's because we're Irish!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

did Summer start this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It's Autumn, we're a month into Autumn now!

All that free education was wasted on you...........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

NIMAN wrote: »
    did Summer start this year?

When I was a kid we were taught that the summer months were May June July. This was the case for centuries and based on animal and plant changes etc. Then some namby pamby Met office pen pusher comes along and says 'I have an idea lets make the summer months June July and August!' Fact is we are now heading into the second month of Autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Only if you live in Summer Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

We already had this discussion at the start of the month.

And we've had great weather this year. I cycle to work and have rarely had to wear a jacket over the past few months.

We already had this discussion at the start of the month.

And we've had great weather this year. I cycle to work and have rarely had to wear a jacket over the past few months.

That's another thing, cyclists. One time a fella rode a bike , tuck the right leg into the sock and off you go.Now you have to dress up like a Christmas tree with lycra, helmets, tights gloves etc and head down over the handlebars as if you were in the Tour de France.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Yes. Let's call every season Summer so people stop being confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It's still warm enough to wear shorts, so gonna make the most of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    It's still warm enough to make shorts,

Do you also repair them? There's a hole in a pocket in a pair of mine that could do with some fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

Summer is until Christmas sales start. 116 days before Christmas by the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

As far as I'm concerned, it's autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Could have done with gloves when on the bike this morning ffs.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Meteorological summer ends at the end of August, so yes, today is the last day of summer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Thread merged, no need for more than one thread on the same subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It's because we're so far west - takes longer for autumn to fall in the rest of Europe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's this silly idea that we should stick to pagan seasons.

Today is climatically not Autumn, it's still Summer and will be until mid September.

Met Eireann also have summer as June, July August.

A lot of it stems from people's belief that February 1st is the first day of Spring.

Pagan seasons would end and begin with the equinoxes and solstices, would they not...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

That's another thing, cyclists. One time a fella rode a bike , tuck the right leg into the sock and off you go.Now you have to dress up like a Christmas tree with lycra, helmets, tights gloves etc and head down over the handlebars as if you were in the Tour de France.:rolleyes:

The bike may be a 'Christmas tree' in the darker months so drivers can see me. Lycra doesn't flap and slow you down like regular clothing. The helmets can be useful too on occasion. That one spill I had made me damn glad I was wearing gloves. And if you need to wonder why people on bikes crouch down then I can only assume the Nobel prize for physics will not be straining your mantelpiece anytime soon.

One time a fella driving a motor used to wind up the engine with a crank by the radiator in front and put on goggles to drive around the countryside squeezing the rubber bulb on a brass horn like Mr. Toad in Wind in the Willows.

Forgive me if you still do this and my analogy is misplaced.

topper75 wrote: »
    . Lycra doesn't flap and slow you down like regular clothing.

What, you need to knock 15.8 seconds off your journey to work? gimme a break.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

we have had 48 days of sunshine since the 1st of july

Advertisement