Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is august the start of autumn in Ireland and not the rest of Europe.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,389 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You can see how the season has changed over the last 10 days, growth is changing, can see it in plants, that difference in the morning, the difference in growth, though it is still good, a difference is there, all very slight but when you are out in the fields every day, you can see the change. August is a month of harvest beginning, the end of vigour in plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

What corner of Ireland is August in autumn? I've been taught from a toddler that summer is June, July and August. First time ever I heard an Irish person say August was autumn was on here, and I'm 46.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,294 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mutant z wrote: »
    Does anyone find it odd why in Ireland august is the start of autumn while in the UK, and elsewhere in Europe it is still summer, in Ireland the different seasons start a month earlier than everywhere else, why is that.

August is Autumn? Is it? Summer to me!

Victor wrote: »
    Seasons are a social construct as much as a meteorological one. Some places have as many as 7 seasons.

Did you just assume my season?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Mutant z wrote: »
    Does anyone find it odd why in Ireland august is the start of autumn while in the UK, and elsewhere in Europe it is still summer, in Ireland the different seasons start a month earlier than everywhere else, why is that.

Just look out the window ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

railer201 wrote: »
    Just look out the window ;)

So you're saying it's winter?

So you're saying it's winter?

No, Autumn - how anyone could deem today to be a summer's day is beyond me :)

Tis the season to be Jolly

tra la la la la, la la la la

Not yet, come back in three months time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

Who said seasons had to be 3 months long?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Cubik

But it can be like this in June or July. Cloudy and rainy weather can be very warm. Not that it isn't crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Seasons are as follows:
    Spring- March 21st to June 20th
    Summer- June 21st to September 20th
    Autumn- September 21st to December 20th
    Winter - December 21st to March 20th.

Equinox and solstice.

those are roman seasons, not the same as celtic seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

You can get bad weather in the summer you know, it doesnt mean it isn't summer.

The EU pen pushers have swooped in and taken so much of our individuality and our culture and now we can't even have our own fecking summers anymore?

I think this is the last straw. If they try to force us to harmonise our summers we should vote to have an Ixit. I already have beef with them over the foreign sunny weather they have been sending our direction.

And this entertaining pisstake is brought to you compliments of the nether regions of Brexiters' Europhobia.

Cubik wrote: »
    But it can be like this in June or July. Cloudy and rainy weather can be very warm. Not that it isn't crap.

Some summers are only summers in theory, in practice there is no guarantee of consistently hot sunny weather in Ireland in any of the summer months.

Today is Autumnal to me - 15 deg C and wet. So in theory the weather fits August being described as an Autumn month.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some summers are only summers in theory, in practice there is no guarantee of consistently hot sunny weather in Ireland in any of the summer months.
    Today is Autumnal to me - 15 deg C and wet. So in theory the weather fits August being described as an Autumn month.

We had days like that in May though too... that'd mean summer is June and July only???

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    We had days like that in May though too... that'd mean summer is June and July only???

Could be - it's an unpredictable season in Ireland, some years it hasn't arrived at all hardly - just a few token sunny days here and there. August now appears to have settled down to persistent low pressure weather with cumulonimbus clouds forming to provide continuous showery weather from the Atlantic. I have a weather eye out for a return of high pressure but I'm not hopeful at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,299 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Even Argos says it's Autumn now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

And this entertaining pisstake is brought to you compliments of the nether regions of Brexiters' Europhobia.

Ixiters.

• Advertisement

Ixiters.

Surely it has to be Ire-exit ... but if we really want to annoy EU-crats, we should just stay where we are and never change ... thorn at my side and all that!

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Surely it has to be Ire-exit ... but if we really want to annoy EU-crats, we should just stay where we are and never change ... thorn at my side and all that!

Surmising you're Irish and not English/British, why would you want to do that? What has the EU ever done to you or your people?

Surmising you're Irish and not English/British, why would you want to do that? What has the EU ever done to you or your people?

Sure they built some nice roads, but so did the Romans.
    It was still the Roman Empire.
    They're as bad as the Catholic 'universal' Church.

For starters, where are all our fish gone?
    Then there was the euro.
    Then there was austerity.
    Then there was the horror that is Phil Hogan, EU Commissioner.

They better not start messing with our seasons or clocks, one size doesn't fit all and the seasons as seen from Ireland are not those seen in Denmark or Poland.

Patww79 wrote: »
    What had they ever done to Britain? Their exit was just so they could go more national front and kick out the 'dirty forrins'.

Being Irish he wouldn't have to be brainwashed by the incessant Europhobia of the British print media (Guardian/Observer/Independent excepted) and the space given to vociferous rightwing Tory politicians who scapegoat the EU for Britain's demise since 1945. Or indeed who never tell the truth about how Britain has benefited hugely from EU membership and how it was British politicians who opted out of EU immigration restrictions to take in more immigrants for their economy - most obviously in 2004 when Poland etc joined the EU. Culturally for nationalistic reasons large numbers of British people have been raised on lies about the EU that Irish people have not been raised on. Therefore Europhobia would be more surprising/inexplicable from an Irish person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Theres only one season in Ireland.the ****ing rainy season.

There's a warm rain season, and a cold rain season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

murpho999 wrote: »
    Today is climatically not Autumn, it's still Summer and will be until mid September.

What planet/ continent do you live on :) Looking at the ditches round here today, I see blackberries ripening and the rowans are coming red etc. Hardly signs of summer.

I agree that the beginning of August is usually more summer like but the end of August is definitely autumn in Ireland. The turn is somewhere in the middle weeks of the month.

Maybe we need to expand our terminology a little...
    June and July and clearly 'high' or 'peak' summer.
    May is spring summer.
    August is summer autumn.
    September is late summer (?) or low autumn (?) or ???
    October is peak autumn.
    November is autumn winter.
    December and January is winter.
    February is winter spring.
    March and April are spring.

And fish - you mean the fish in the Irish Box which is so large that the Irish state could never, ever police/prevent non-Irish trawlers from fishing in in the first place?

You should probably just leave your house unlocked then, as you can't 100% police it to prevent burglars from pilfering it. Nice people these Europeans.

We didn't have the wherewithal to maintain our own currency, and our democratically elected leaders (figureheads) just roll over for an EU who doesn't hesitate to interfere in the democracies of member states (look at Italy, Greece).
    When the avalanche has already begin, it is too late for the pebbles to cast their vote.

We should probably just ask the EU to tell us what our seasons are then, regardless of whether it makes any kind of sense for us.
    We are also probably lacking the wherewithal to maintain our own concept of the seasons, or timezone.
    So what's the official EU description of the seasons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

murpho999 wrote: »

UK met office use the Equinoxes and solstices as season change dates So Summer started on June 21 and ends on September 20/21. Link Here
    Not exactly. It uses the equinoxes and solstices as the start of the astronomical seasons, not the meteorological seasons. (Why can't we have cultural seasons too?) From your own link:
    When this occurs on 20/21 March in the northern hemisphere it marks the point at which the northern hemisphere begins to tilt towards the Sun and consequently the beginning of the astronomical spring. Similarly on 22/23 September, equinox occurs again this time marking the point at which the northern hemisphere begins to tilt away from the Sun and consequently the beginning of the astronomical autumn.

Personally, I don't care. I don't believe in seasons, or at least naming them. The weather just changes during the year and the similar weather types happen at similar times of the year, but it's not absolute.

Advertisement