Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

Christ that's cheap.

I got a Peugeot 308 auto in Portugal at end of June, start of July for 18 days with super collidionnwaiver damage and it's costing me 600 Euro. !!!! Am I getting fleeced or what? I may cancel the bloody thing.

I used argusrentals.com at Faro a bout 3 years ago, and I don't recall any issues with them and I seem to remember the cost being less than €100 for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

sillysocks wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they send back an application does it just go straight to the back of the queue when you send back in new information?

No, so long as you return it to the person named in the Return Letter, it should be processed pretty quickly thereafter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

aabarnes1 wrote: »
    I used argusrentals.com at Faro a bout 3 years ago, and I don't recall any issues with them and I seem to remember the cost being less than €100 for a week.

tried them, all looks good initially, Ford focus estate = 269 - happy days.
    has collision waiver damage etc

Then I went with: "Yes, I want to reduce my liability to €0 for only EUR 76.45 " (so as not to have 2500 on my credit card)

and then added 2 child seats = 80 euro EACH !!!

so 269
    became 269 + 76 + 180 = 525

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Then I went with: "Yes, I want to reduce my liability to €0 for only EUR 76.45 " (so as not to have 2500 on my credit card)

so 269
    you can normally check-in child seats on the plane for free so that expense maybe isnt necessary.

As for the excess cover, €76 is a bargain if you ask me. Its normally something like 20 or 30 per day so potentially many 100s of euro for a fortnight or more

you can normally check-in child seats on the plane for free so that expense maybe isnt necessary.

As for the excess cover, €76 is a bargain if you ask me. Its normally something like 20 or 30 per day so potentially many 100s of euro for a fortnight or more

Thanks.

76 is good alright.
    Our child seats are very bulky, so with bags and pram and everything , that would be a complete pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

Without stating the obvious mate, you sound like you're at the point I used to be at when my kids were small. Basically it's too much hassle and too expensive to holiday abroad the way we wanted to. Opted for UK and Ireland holidays purely based on the fact that there was no airports, car hire, parking baggage etc.
    You either have to accept the costs are what they are, or choose an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,850 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

so 269
    You'd buy two child seats for under €80 over there.

aabarnes1 wrote: »
    Without stating the obvious mate, you sound like you're at the point I used to be at when my kids were small. Basically it's too much hassle and too expensive to holiday abroad the way we wanted to. Opted for UK and Ireland holidays purely based on the fact that there was no airports, car hire, parking baggage etc.
    You either have to accept the costs are what they are, or choose an alternative.

you are dead right Pal, but nice to get a bit of sun too and flights etc booked now.

Quazzie wrote: »
    You'd buy two child seats for under €80 over there.

you bloody would too, some rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

76 is good alright. Our child seats are very bulky, so with bags and pram and everything , that would be a complete pain

Buy blow ups, cheap and nasty but they do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

so 269

80*2=160.
    So total cost is only 505.
    thats not that bad to be honest for what you want.

80*2=160.
    So total cost is only 505.
    thats not that bad to be honest for what you want.

oops sorry.

Well this is what im asking, when I see some lad a few posts back getting an Astra in Barcelona for 10 days in June for 72 Euro, im kinda wondering am I gettin ridden

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

oops sorry.

Well this is what im asking, when I see some lad a few posts back getting an Astra in Barcelona for 10 days in June for 72 Euro, im kinda wondering am I gettin ridden

Doubt it, i'm just after down grading to an Astra from the Golf I origianlly booked in Ibiza for 11 nights and it's costing me 142.75 in total but that's with an additional driver and 2 child seats, I think the car it self was about 40 euro before the extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Doubt it, i'm just after down grading to an Astra from the Golf I origianlly booked in Ibiza for 11 nights and it's costing me 142.75 in total but that's with an additional driver and 2 child seats, I think the car it self was about 40 euro before the extras.
    when is that? Summer ?

I'm back in Ireland for a few weeks in August and the cheapest Astra on autoeurope is 53 a day, so for us for 23 days....... flippin dear
    If only there was spanish prices in Ireland

(off peak Ireland is for next to nothing I would admit ! but for summer and christmas the prices go bonkers)

when is that? Summer ?

Start of June...Prices look off the wall in August

so you are getting a Golf and 2 child seats for 11 days for 142 !!

My child seats cost more than that, Where am I going wrong?

so you are getting a Golf and 2 child seats for 11 days for 142 !!

My child seats cost more than that, Where am I going wrong?

No I went with the golf but downgraded it today to an astra think the gold was 235. So it's an astra for 142.
    Just used the ryanair website, you can change car at anytime, and they'll give you the car for free if you find it cheaper, I couldn't find a cheaper price anywhere, not even close when the extras were added on.

No I went with the golf but downgraded it today to an astra think the gold was 235. So it's an astra for 142.
    Just used the ryanair website, you can change car at anytime, and they'll give you the car for free if you find it cheaper, I couldn't find a cheaper price anywhere, not even close when the extras were added on.

Ok. I thought Golf and Astra are roughly same size, but obviously golf is seen as better.

Still though. An Astra for 11 days with 2 car seats for 142 with insurance is very good.

Compare to me. 18 days, Peugeot 308 with 2 car seats and full insurance for 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

Hi
    Has anyone any experience with doyouspain?
    I am looking for 2 weeks car hire in Spain in July, they are coming in WAY cheaper than all other companies. The deal was pay for it now and there is no cancellation allowed. I'm happy enough with the no cancellation. But I couldn't see any other gotcha's
    Reviews online are not great but I'm still tempted.
    Can anyone recommend any other car hire sites?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I would never go for the cheapest quote when it comes to car hire, especially in Spain.

And the reviews are 'not great'.....

Are you getting the message?

• Advertisement

Hi
    I am looking for 13 days car hire in Bilbao Spain in July, we will need a golf/focus size car because there will be 5 of us are we will be driving a lot.
    The prices I am seeing here are nothing like what I'm being quoted. The cheapest im getting is around 550 and that is with basic insurance.
    Doyouspain are charging around 350 but I am reading bad reviews about them.
    Any recommendations on the who to use in Bilbao?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

when is that? Summer ?

I'm back in Ireland for a few weeks in August and the cheapest Astra on autoeurope is 53 a day, so for us for 23 days....... flippin dear
    If only there was spanish prices in Ireland

(off peak Ireland is for next to nothing I would admit ! but for summer and christmas the prices go bonkers)

I feel your pain on Irish car rentals. Every other country I go to is fine (although I got stung in America).

Check out carhire.ie, they were coming in at half the price of the other rental agencies for two weeks in July and had a discount offer running through their facebook page. Even the excess wasn't that high, only E1,300 whereas other companies were starting at E2,000 (car is a Ford Fiesta or equivalent). I'd imagine the car will be relatively old but so long as it's clean and all in working order I won't care.

I've not used them before so hopefully they work out okay, another poster a page back reckons they're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I've used them several times with no hassle; read all the small print carefully re fuel policies/extra charges etc. to make sure the headline quotes match what you'll actually end up paying. You can definitely make savings, especially if you book a few months in advance (with free cancellation) and like some hotel-booking portals they also offer further discounts if you can commit to a no-cancellation deal. They're basically just a comparison search engine with booking facility; you're essentially pre-booking from a local rental firm at discounted rates. I'd imagine some of the negative reviews had more to do with customer service/vehicle issues at that level, tbh — I've always found DYS themselves to be very prompt to deal with the handful of issues I've needed to contact them about (e.g. once when the credit card I'd booked with had expired by the time the booking came around, and I needed to update the card details so they'd match when I arrived).

Edit: alternatively, if you want to "Buy Irish", Argus are good to deal with IME.

Thanks. They are coming in around 400 for a car. Most others are over 600

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

donalh087 wrote: »
    I normally think €25 a day is good enough.

I just rented a car today in Italy for 10 days, later this month. I am sick of the low cost shysters so said I would try the main stream guys. Boy, have the cheap operators put manners on them. I went with Hertz and got a C-Max for 10 days for €196.

As importantly for me, the deposit is only €250. Last time I was caught for nearly €2,000 deposit. I know I got it back but it was a shock

Jesus that's great value. I got a quote last week for a fiat tipo for the 5 of us for a week in Nice in July - €138. Checked back today and it's now €360!! Anyone any recommendations for cheap car hire in France?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,850 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

mfceiling wrote: »
    Jesus that's great value. I got a quote last week for a fiat tipo for the 5 of us for a week in Nice in July - €138. Checked back today and it's now €360!! Anyone any recommendations for cheap car hire in France?

I'm in the same boat. What I've discovered is, if you go to the Avis.co.uk facebook page, and send them a PM, they will generally get you the best price around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

i have rented a car in USA in June and wondering if i should purchase a policy from https://www.carhireexcess.ie/ or equivalent. Here is what the wording says on my car booking:

What is included
    Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
    Third-Party Liability (TPL)
    Theft Protection (TP)
    Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI)
    Uninsured Motorist Protection (UMP)
    Homeland Security Charge
    Local Taxes
    Premium Location Surcharge
    Unlimited kilometres.
    Up to 3 Additional Drivers aged 25 or over included.

Deposit / Excess Amounts
    The car hire company will require a deposit amount of US$ 0.00 including tax at pick-up. The deposit will be returned after the rental, as long as all conditions have been met.

The car has a damage excess of US$ 0.00 including tax.

The car has a theft excess of US$ 0.00 including tax.

There is no excess for the coverage provided by the car hire company?s CDW policy.

Is there much benefit in getting an extra excess policy seeing as it says the excess is ?0. Also it says the deposit is ?0 which I'm not sure is correct? I thought they would take some kind of security deposit when you present your credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

One of the conditions I got stung by in the states was that the company I went with required a license issued by the state I was renting in. Without that I had to pay for their full CDW. There was also some horrible thing they charged for toll roads that cost me more than the tolls would have cost. I was renting in Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 heyho

yellow hen wrote: »
    2 weeks ago I submitted a family application for my sons renewal and my daughters first passport. I used passport express and took their 10-15 day processing guideline as accurate (Yes, I must have been living under a rock not to have heard the implications of brexit on the passport office. I only realised the delay the day I was due to post them so I included an apology letter and a copy of the flights. The passport tracker is giving just over 5 weeks processing and the estimated delivery date is the day after we are due to go on holidays. Is there anything at all I can do now to expedite things?

No, I tried everything in a similar circumstance (2 kids renewals). Ended up cancelling our holiday.

They point blank refused to assist in any way unless it related to a death or serious illness.

In the last few weeks they have shut down online chat and the phone lines. Twitter is only showing positive feedback but they have been answering PMs with stock answers.. I am really finding them quite obnoxious and inhuman to deal with. I don't give a **** that they are very busy, they should work longer hours, hire more staff and put people on the support lines/ chat/ twitter account that are decent, helpful humans rather than robots that throw out stock answers.. :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Two very Boardsie replies to a practical suggestion.
    Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense. Typical civil service attitude.

Looks like you just want to rubbish anybody who doesn't agree with your opinion. Blinkered, much?

Advertisement