Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

elperello wrote: »
    I got one of those from Europcar last year booked through Rentalcars. I was surprised at how good a car it was.
    It was from March 2 - 17, 15 days €155.

Decent quote. Mine is just way more expensive due to time of year. Below is part of a mail I got back from one of the companies - does this seem reasonable ;

Our offer for Group D- SMALL ESTATE manual car (5 door/5 seats IBIZA SW type with A/C, petrol ) from 17/6/2017 to 5/7/2017 is 400 EUR + 100 EUR for both toddler seats.

Quote includes:
    Super Collision Damage Waiver (SCDW) ,AIRPORT TAXES(10€ per rental) ,ZERO EXCESS, unlimited mileage,driving 200 Km across border from Vila Real Sto Antonio-NO FARTHER THAN SEVILLE-FREE OF CHARGE ,additional drivers – minimum age 23 years old (they are automatically added as per our contract agreement note ‘’any driver is allowed to drive the car ’’) – FREE OF CHARGE , fuel level we deliver to you is the same you have to return,break down assistance.

Please note:
    We prefer cash payment on arrival;
    The insurance do not cover tyres, punctures, damaged or lost keys, damages inside the car and underneath ,wing mirrors , any accident caused by driver under the influence of alcohol or by negligence of the driver( e.g. denting the car while parking, reversing…..)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I used Skyscanner with those dates and found a focus estate for €290

Depending on how old your kids are, these may be an option instead of hiring car seats:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bubblebum-Car-Booster-Seat-Black/dp/B0092MB0O2?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camelreprice-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0092MB0O2

stimpson wrote: »
    I used Skyscanner with those dates and found a focus estate for €290

Depending on how old your kids are, these may be an option instead of hiring car seats:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bubblebum-Car-Booster-Seat-Black/dp/B0092MB0O2?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camelreprice-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0092MB0O2

Thanks. Ah the children are still very small yet.

So your quote is saving straight away, but what kind of insurance is in the Sky scanner quote ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Decent quote. Mine is just way more expensive due to time of year. Below is part of a mail I got back from one of the companies - does this seem reasonable ;

Our offer for Group D- SMALL ESTATE manual car (5 door/5 seats IBIZA SW type with A/C, petrol ) from 17/6/2017 to 5/7/2017 is 400 EUR + 100 EUR for both toddler seats.

Quote includes:
    Super Collision Damage Waiver (SCDW) ,AIRPORT TAXES(10€ per rental) ,ZERO EXCESS, unlimited mileage,driving 200 Km across border from Vila Real Sto Antonio-NO FARTHER THAN SEVILLE-FREE OF CHARGE ,additional drivers – minimum age 23 years old (they are automatically added as per our contract agreement note ‘’any driver is allowed to drive the car ’’) – FREE OF CHARGE , fuel level we deliver to you is the same you have to return,break down assistance.

Please note:
    We prefer cash payment on arrival;
    The insurance do not cover tyres, punctures, damaged or lost keys, damages inside the car and underneath ,wing mirrors , any accident caused by driver under the influence of alcohol or by negligence of the driver( e.g. denting the car while parking, reversing…..)

That is not a bad quote for what you are getting.
    You are into peak season. You are going for 18 days? If the kids are young you will need the proper seats. €100 isn't too bad for 2 seats over 18 days.

Get the full cover. If you run over something on the road and damage the car you will be liable.

For the peace of mind get everything covered.
    With young kids you will have enough to worry about.

You should consider whether or not you will need a car.

Yellowfish transfers offer a very good reasonable service. They will pick you up at the airport, have car seats ready and drop you to your hotel door.
    If you are staying in a good location with plenty to do you may not need the car. Plus for a day trip you could also book yellowfish to take kids to the aquarium or whatever, just to get away for a day.

They get very good reviews on tripadvisor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

They are in the car park at the airport. its a 2 minute walk from the door.

It's probably closer to 5 minutes walk from the arrivals area. But, I would also recommend Drive4Fun. They are very reasonably priced, easy to deal with and they don't try any funny business when you return the car.

If you're worried about the walk to car park 4, one of you could stay in the terminal while the other one collects the car. You could then drive back to the arrivals area where there's a car park that allows 10 free minutes parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I booked a Golf 5 door, second driver (extra 33) and 2 car seats under 4's (36 euro each). Total was 228.28 through the Ryanair website for 11 days, that was Ibiza not Portugal but seemed very reasonable.

stimpson wrote: »
    ..........but can claim back from carhireexcess.com afterwards. It's usually around €25 a week.

Or €50/year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Used zitauto back in October and were very happy with the service. €150 for the week and €20 for car seat. Car was only about 4months old and spotless. Renault Clio estate I think. Didn't look for a gps but it was built into the car anyway and very useful.
    It was great to have the freedom of a car in the area. It was my first time driving on the continent.
    They are located in the car park and dealing with them was very straight forward.
    In fact I got a letter from them in Dec, and I thought -here we go, this will be some bill for something but I was delighted to find it was a Christmas card!! With their prices for 2017!!

I booked a Golf 5 door, second driver (extra 33) and 2 car seats under 4's (36 euro each). Total was 228.28 through the Ryanair website for 11 days, that was Ibiza not Portugal but seemed very reasonable.

What time of year though?
    You definitely won't get a price that cheap that covers all insurance for the summer months.

I think I also booked with drive4fun. Good local company but they are located in a hut in the car park. When we arrived it was pouring out of the heavens and so was a bit of hassle but otherwise very good.

The good thing about getting full insurance is that it is much quicker to leave back the car as no checks need to be done on it.
    With young kids and queues through security it makes things that bit easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What time of year though?
    You definitely won't get a price that cheap that covers all insurance for the summer months.

First 2 weeks in June booked it a few months ago, have the option of paying 49 extra for axa excess insurance. (Eliminate potential liability of up to €3,000 for just EUR 49.94.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Does this thread help?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89145613

If you ring zitauto on 00351 289 315559, I found them very reasonable

I used these before about 5 years ago at New Year

Very good - meet you from the plane at arrivals and walk you to the car on car park

Still get a Christmas card every year with rate update in it, every year since then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

athtrasna wrote: »
    Passport express is now passport standard mail application, it's how you apply by post. Standard turnaround times apply.

First passports take longer due to the additional security checks needed. Almost impossible to speed up

Thanks for that, the DFA should update their website to state the same as it's not "express"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Still looking for a decent rate/company out of Treviso (and going to Croatia also).

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 deirdre41

Hi
    We are heading to Bela italia in June, just wondering what Taxi company you got for the transfer and how much did it cost. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

We ended up flying into Milan one year and Verona the next. We used http://airports-shuttle.com from Verona and that cost €115 euro for the return trip. That was 5 years ago. From Milan we used http://lakegardatransfers.co.uk/transfers/. Can't remember exactly how much that one was but it was over €200. Enjoy Bella Italia. It's a great spot

I hired a car for the whole week for around 120ish euro.
    Far better value & got a couple of day trips out of it too

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

We went a few years ago, flew into Verona and hired a car, it was grand once you had a sat nav. We did a few day trips, Sirmione is gorgeous and worth a day trip out of the campsite. We stayed in Bella Italia, hope to go back again in a year or 2.

Hi again. Just wondering if u found airports -shuttles.com reliable? Did u pay on the day or put deposit on booking? They are asking for a credit card number when booking online even
    though that say it wont be used unless we don't show up at airport for transfer. Thanks for info. ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

They were reliable. Met us at the airport and turned up on time to bring us back. They took cc details for booking purposes only and we paid the driver on the day. No issues with the card afterwards.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    I hired a car for the whole week for around 120ish euro.
    Far better value & got a couple of day trips out of it too

Very vague.

What time of year?
    What kind of car?
    What insurance did you get?
    What destination?

Very vague.

What time of year?
    What kind of car?
    What insurance did you get?
    What destination?

I posted on a Bella Italia thread!
    Flew into (Ryanair) Milan and drove to Bella Italia. It was a yaris. Basic insurance, had excess insured separately, got damaged too, but they never even noticed!
    June!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Oh, thanks! they must have pulled it? Ive discovered you can still do it online but its not half as easy and straightforward or as much fun.

Thanks so much for all the info. Very much appreciated

You are into peak season. You are going for 18 days? If the kids are young you will need the proper seats. €100 isn't too bad for 2 seats over 18 days.

Get the full cover. If you run over something on the road and damage the car you will be liable.

Hi,

yep 18 days.

But essentially, the above quote is covering everything. correct ?

thanks. yep , 18 days

but this quote I have got is covering everything is it ? (the SCWD etc)

Hi, thanks.

yep, going for 18 days.

But essentially, the cover they quoted me seems to be full cover, correct?

i.e.

Quote includes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I'm looking at care hire in Italy in July. Some of the excesses and credit card hold amounts being quote would bust through my credit limit and beyond, but Auto Europe are quoting a price for zero excess and only an "approx" €245 credit card hold. All for just over €600 for one week. I believe the actual car hire is with Dollar, with Auto Europe acting as a broker.

It sounds like a a great deal, but when I priced a similar package direct with Dollar, it came to over €1,000, making me wonder if the Auto Europe quote is too good to be true.

Questions...

What are the chances of getting to the car hire desk and having them laugh at the Auto Europe agreement and demanding a higher hold anyway?

Does anyone have experience with no-excess rentals with Auto Europe?

Do car hire companies "honour" 3rd party excess cover or will they still demand the same hold on the card?

Any recommendations for car hire in Italy? (Pickup/dropoff at Fiumicino, driving around Tuscany).

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

milhous wrote: »
    We were hoping to get away on 10th May, just postponed holiday until June. Slightly more expensive but atleast we don't have to worry. I wonder what the insurance companies refund policy would be with that!

I can see the insurance companies "should of had a valid passport before booking the holiday"

Advertisement