Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Time to Die **Spoilers from post #1449 onward**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Registered Users Posts: 54,869 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Watched it last night. Enjoyable, and for 2.7 hours long, it didn’t feel like it..

One thing: I know action heroes can’t be killed, but what’s with Bond not getting hit with about a 1000 billets fired at him, and most them from close enough range, as well as him but even trying to dodge any!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I saw it last night. I enjoyed it. For me, it was good but not great. I preferred Skyfall but this may be my second favourite Craig outing. The pre-credit sequence was brilliant. Ana De Armas was brilliant and there should have been more of her. The ending was very memorable, but I'm not sure if I really agreed with that idea. Malik was okay as a villain but lacked substance. I did think it was 20 minutes too long. Overall, it was a good experience and worth seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

James Bond was not his name it is an allias for a 00. Skyfall had stated that if I remember and the new Bond books say as much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I still find it mad to think there are Bond books. I had just assumed they stopped when Fleming went to the great wingback chair in the sky -but yeah I suppose, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,173 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

His parents gravestones in skyfall were inscribed with Bond and the old man played by Albert Finney greets him as James Bond, even though he hadn’t seen him since he was a boy.

Did you miss him looking as a bomb totally exploded around him. Yes he escaped one at the start but those he can not escape. He is not immortal. It would also be cheap after that ending. It will be a new male actor with it showing the name as an alias to protect the people he knows or knew

I also saw him shot while atop a moving train, fall a couple of hundred feet into a fast moving river, then reappear drinking a bottle of Heineken in a beech hut. It’s not real life, and he was after all in a nuclear missile silo.

Okay I thought it was otherwise my mistake

There is even young Bond books saw one when I went on Audible looking for a book to get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

The most obvious scenario to me going forward with a new male "James Bond" is this:

Next film introduces the new Bond actor as a new recruit to MI6. Earns his place as a 00, end of the movie Ralph Fiennes hands him his new identity documents. "From here on out you are Bond, James Bond. Welcome aboard 007."

Et voila, the system is reset.

Nah I'd hate that but I think it's definitely an option they'll consider. Sort of a Bond, the early years but set in 2023/24 as opposed to the 1950's

They might also just do a brand new Bond universe. New M, Money, Q etc. with no links to the current Bond setup

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

I reckon you're on the money. A total reset is likely.

When do people think we'll see a new bond film? 5 yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there could be a MIB-esque film in there, i think they would find a way to mess it up

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Production finishes on NTTD 2 years ago so you'd think it would be sooner. Guess it depends when they pick their Bond

Tom Hardy for me, he mixes the suave with the threat of violence. Bond hides behind a silo door and survives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Saw it. Loved it. Fitting end for Craig's interpretation of Bond and this cycle of the franchise ( hate that term).

They can't go forward from this without ruining the legacy of these recent films.

What I'd like to see is a new Bond storyline set in the 1960s along the lines of the original books. They had to sanitise the original Fleming books for movie audiences and they wouldn't have to do that for modern audiences. Wait five years, do a one off film that doesn't need an actor to tie himself to a multi film deal, and make a slick 60s spy thriller.

Wait five years and go again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I hate the woke stuff as much as the next guy but I have to laugh at the lads clutching their pearls saying it was crowbarred in and ruin the film.

It was pretty subtle in my opinion and was in no way beaten upon the audience. The 007 thing I feel came across as a nod and a wink more than anything. Very tongue in cheek.

Yiz took the bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

It was a fitting end to Craig’s stint as Bond, but the series now needs a break for a while before going again.

While each Bond actor prior to Craig was essentially a reboot, there was the occasional reference or nod to earlier movies that gave a sort of loose continuity. Craig’s movies are the Bond equivalent of the Kelvin timeline and stand apart from the other movies.

I hope the next Bond brings a bit of humor back, I’ve had my fill of moody/gloomy Bond movies. Who’s the modern equivalent of Roger Moore ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Really enjoyed that, my favourite of the Craig films. Good action and the new 007 held her own. My only quibble is a fairly boring villain whose motivation was unclear.

Exciting times lie ahead for the franchise, whatever direction they take.

I wonder was a large chunk of Rami Malek's story left on the cutting floor. There was very little depth to him

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

On the subject on "what will they do next?", surely the best place to look is other blockbusters; Bond has always chased a trend - be it genre, tonal or whatever - and shaped the Bond films there.

So to that end, I might offer: James Wick Bond. They'll pick someone unconventional for an action role, and go hard for long take, visceral hand-to-hand fights. With the tone pitched a little more surreal in the manner of Wick's bizarre universe of assassins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭micks_address

Seen it yesterday. Its good but long. I felt like i knew the end that was coming so was waiting for it. It looks great. The score towards the end reminded me of zimmers dark knight score when batman is rescuing the hostages from the tower block.. i get why it ended the way it did but you'd wonder could they have gone a different way given that craig was never coming back anyway. if history is anything to go by its not going to be someone like Tom hardy... maybe someone who's done well in tv and a couple of movies but its usually not a 'star' have been watching outlander and i read an article tipping Sam Heughan.. he's 41 so maybe a bit old? In terms of where they go story/cast wise.. you'd have to think its a complete reset.. it made some sense to keep judi dench on as M when craig came on but the rest now would seem out of place? Its James bond.. 007 not just X 007 so i think it has to be a new bond and a new cast. I love Q and Moneypenny and generally most of the cast so its a pity if they have to move on but they probably will have to. You'd wonder will it go to pants a bit now after a successful run? They know the formula in fairness so won't go to far off the beaten track.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That sounds awful

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The re-writes hurt this badly imho: the change of the macguffin from a virus to biotech left Bond literally wearing the cure for the Heracles nanobots on his wrist and the poison garden looking ridiculous (as nanobots would be created in a clean room rather than a pool of acid)!

I quite liked Lashana Lynch's Nomi as the new 007 and the character demonstrated very effectively why this modern, black female double-o agent wouldn't work as the star for the franchise: she was too "by the book" to be interesting. In any movie with her as the lead, M would be the star with 007 reduced to the role of being a compliant tool of his/her craft.

There must have been an awful lot of Malek's character left on the cutting room floor and my guess is that it was down to post-Covid sensitivity: looking at his actions, he seemed to be motivated by a desire to reduce the world population but his "explain his grand plan to Bond" scene was obviously cut. It neutered the character and left him very unthreatening imo.

They clearly gave Craig too much input into the script and while I liked aspects of the humanisation of Bond that has marked his tenure, they finally took it too far in the end in the scene that was clearly the reason Danny Boyle left the camp. The most interesting continuation from this timeline of Bond at this stage would have to begin with the words "20 years later" and Mathilde being sworn into MI6.

So, now the search for the next James Bond begins. I just hope they have the sense to clear the deck and also cast new actors to play M, Moneypenny, Leighter, Q etc. to re-enforce the fact that it's a reboot and either set it as a period piece or look back to Dalton's portrayal of Bond (and indeed Craig's first film) where Bond is first and foremost an assassin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finally got to see this yesterday. I don't know if it was really good, or really great. Might need another viewing, or just more time to decide.

Wasn't expecting to enjoy the Bond/Madeline focus, but it worked for me in the end. You could easily have trimmed 20 minutes off the run time, there's a few scenes that were very obviously too stretched. On the other hand, the Paloma "cameo" was short, but very sweet.

Issues I found have mostly been brought up already (e.g. Safin and his plan not getting much explanation), so no need to revisit.

One question I do have however:

One thing I can't figure out was the big teaser from the trailer/movie - Madeline's secret that Blofeld claims will be the death of Bond. For me - this went nowhere? Did they just leave in that line because it hinted at something cool?

Also, regarding the actual ending...

I don't think Bond dying means anything for the franchise. If they can reboot with a whole new Bond, Q, M, Felix etc, then we're not exactly dealing with the laws of the universe here. Bond has been jumping body Quantum Leap style for decades anyway. Everytime they reboot Spiderman with a new Uncle Ben there's isn't bedlam.

I thought it was a cool way for Craig to bow out and it won't bother me in the slightest if and when a new younger Bond turns up. Yeah, they might have to dial back some of the nods to past adventures but you can always throw in easter eggs without stuff being "canon".

• Advertisement

Did anyone else not have any trailers at their viewing? They showed advertisements of course

Advertisement