Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Butson

Might make the trip over to this. Hopefully its a case of getting in the queue and getting a ticket with a bit of luck.

It mightn't actually be the best fight with styles etc, but will be fascinating to see how Usyk can get on the inside of Fury and will his footwork give Fury trouble like it did everybody else. Have heard other fighters say they were exhausted fighting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,887 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Tony bellend said the mental exhaustion is what got to him the most but he was also gassed and not in the best shape cardio wise

fury has a decent cardio, the fight seems so far away but it’s the only decent thing in the division coming up really

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Usyk always gets stronger as the fight goes on. he starts to walk through punches.

If it goes to points, which I believe it will, Usyk will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I think that fighting Joshua isn’t much value for preparation for Fury. Meanwhile Fury has fought plenty of smaller, fast men. He can also get away with more primitive tactics. Usyk will have to produce the flashy work Fury can do it ugly if he so chooses. I’m not sure what Usyk’s best chance is. If it goes to cards I think it could be close but I don’t think he can hit Fury enough to get a points win. Is he better off really going for it in a mid round and seeing if he can tag Fury or is he better trying to win with output, energy, accuracy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,760 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think the fight will resemble a small nippy dog against a bigger dog. The small dog needs to be a ball of frenetic moving energy to bedazzle the bigger dog. In, out, side, side, peck, poke flurry and reset.

I reckon a tight points result is on the cards, with plenty closely fought action and rounds.

If Fury decides to try bull his way in and be up close, then Usyk either handles this, or avoids it. I think best to try avoid it by using a lot of varied movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,588 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The problem is the big dog is agile has really good feet & is brilliant at using his length when he needs to ,

AJ tried to out box Usyk & got a split decision , Fury is 10 times the boxer AJ is,

AJ was scared stiff of using his power & size encase he tired, Fury will not be,

Usyk lost plenty of rounds against against Del boy & Bellew he is no where near as elusive defensively as people think, his gas tank , toughness & foot placement are his strongest weapons its not going to be enough against Fury , I will say his offensive foot positioning is what gets him a lot of wins it tires guys out who feel in danger & have to move way more than they want to , & i think Fury can take that away with his length or by sheer ignorance of just letting Usyk have the foot position & not being afraid of getting hit to land one, ( something Aj should have done but his gas thank didn't allow him)

I honestly can't see anything but a Fury win & i think it'll be easer than people think ,

I reckon Fury comes in in the low 260s for this one. He looks trim enough at present. Usyk about 220 I'd say

All the pressure to win I think is on the '2-1 on' favorite. 6 inches taller and 45-50 lbs heavier. I reckon the favorite tag for Fury allows Usyk that bit more relaxation. Not sure if it will affect Fury, but he has been doing an awful lot slagging Usyk the middleweight.

Can’t disagree with any of your points here really

and Fury is some unit!! Huge. A difficult task for Usyk, no doubt.

Mad thing is Usyk probably has the mental fortitude to do it, but does he have the skillset

• Advertisement

And he really really seems up for it. Giving off a strong vibe that he can win.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,790 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

of course he thinks he can win, and so he should, so far that's all he has done, he is some fighter in fairness.

This is boxing.

Expect some home cooking by the judges.

Any talk of who will feature on the undercard?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭reclose

I’m hoping for a Usyk win. Less bullshit about him.

It'll be piss poor, If there arguments over money in the Main event then there will be little or no cash to spread around an under card ,

Unfortunately the best event now are ones without mega stars in the Main , That way there's money in the pot to be shared around to get decent guys to fight ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Oh the undercard will be dreadful. Remember the card for Fury Whyte. Oh my God what a waste of time that was. The main event saved that card big time.

Id have expected Fury to come in light for this one but you could not be up to him it depends on what kinda life hes been living since Del Boy. Nothing would surprise me. I can't make my mind up if hes a terrible trainer or not. He'd hardly have such movement and footwork if he didn't put plenty into it and he has developed a lot since the pre Wlad days but then that bulge is terrible!

Dazn coming to Sky. Channel 429 from March 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,790 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

To be fair anyone who looses 10 stone is going to struggle to look toned

Most of that is stretched skin, he tried going lighter and it didn’t suit his fighting style he wasn’t as powerful

• Advertisement

He can go 12 round with ease, He's 6'9 a mammoth if man & can put power behind his punches,

His weight isn't an issues for him it is for his opponents ,Leaning up or adding muscles isn't going to help him at all

People have bad read's on appearance in Combat sports

For example in lower weights where there is a limit, If two guys hit the scale & weigh the same, the guy with the bigger muscle's is usual naturally the smaller man ,as he can afford to carry muscle & make the weight & the other lad can't as he's a bigger man, Lots of misconception from HW to FW on weights on appearance,

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Has it been officially accepted/signed yet?

so much back and forth and commentary I’m none the wiser.

The main event was muck. Whyte was his usual deplorable self. A complete mismatch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Usyk's wife posted this on Instagram 😁

imagine the uproar if fury posted himself as the grim reaper coming to get usyk with the Ukrainian flag above it

There would be no uproar. If Fury beat 3 Ukraine boxers and did this it would be a nothing. Same if Paris did it!

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

But Fury can do no wrong and he’s after getting into the Ukrainians head because this mammoth of a man is just the smartest human being boxing has ever seen. Surely if Usyk can beat AJ that means it’s gonna be an absolute walkover for Fury to beat Usyk?

Honestly some of the crap you read in this thread.

• Advertisement

Had a look at Franklin's odds vs AJ.......

I do not think they can be ignored.

What is AJ's frame of mind ? He has been less aggressive over his last few fights.

Could be a "shock".

Advertisement