Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭normanoffside

fury said the other day he is 19 stone. No reason to doubt him so I’d say 265ish. Usyk 220-222

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Weigh in 19:00 Irish time, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

fury 260 Usyk 225

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ChrisM

I rewatched the Usyk v Chisora fight and Joshua 2 fight. Usyk, as phenomenal as he is, doesn't do it for every judge which is mad. They should know better. I know very little about boxing but I actually thought the Chisora fight was close too, based on the the live action as opposed to keeping score.

Chisora v Usyk Official Scorecards

JUDGE'S SCORES 117-111, 115-113, 115-113 for Usyk

Joshua v Usyk 2 Official Scorecards

JUDGE'S SCORES 115-113 for Joshua, 115-113 for Usyk, 116-112 for Usyk

In the second AJ fight I thought Joshua landed far more impactful hits and possibly deserved a draw which I know is wrong!!!!

I am more interested in uncovering my bias (and some judges it seems) as opposed to facts. I grew up in the 80s and saw Mike Tyson, Douglas, Holyfield, Lewis absolutely hammer people and win so maybe thats where that unconscious bias favouring hits over volume comes from?

It is perplexing to think the above 2 fights could have been draws if one round went slightly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭squinn2912

pretty spot on yea. Think Usyk bang on Fury maybe a touch heavier round 260

• Advertisement

Guys, if Fury is circa 262/263 with 6-7 lbs a clothes/shoes on.. my 256 stands!!!👌

judges don’t all have the same criteria for scoring fights they all look for different things and that’s why the judges cards are often questioned and the wbc bloke is talking about bringing 5 judges

• Registered Users Posts: 20,641 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

As good a Usyk is he dies get hit way more than people make out, Bellew was up on the cards when he was stopped ,Chisora gave him real issues, AJ could have taken him out the second fight,

He finds a way to win every time & that huge, but he isn't perfect or even close to it like people make out ,

Iv still picked him to win because i can't look past Furys last outing but if Furys legs are there he will stop him ,

Sounds like sitting on the fence but you get me,

Fence sitter. If Fury’s legs are there?😅

So, if Fury loses, will it only be because his legs weren’t there?

How will you analyse/deterime if legs there or not there?

Just on the nerves thing….if any fighter should be nervous, unsure or doubting, it should be Usyk. He is facing a man-mountain tomorrow night.

Even the thought: How am I going to hit this man in the head?

• Advertisement

I sometimes wonder if Usyk allows the likes of Chisora and bellew to get into the fight a little to either test himself or just to allow them to get confident and vulnerable

Obviously that could be complete nonsense and only Usyk himself will know that

Who knows what happens,

What i;'m saying is Fury legs looked absolutely awful against Francis forget the boxing, he couldn't move his feet , It happens when fighter his size get old, History would tell us expect the same again iv never seen someone get there legs back hence why m backing Usyk

But if there was some bizarre reason for it & his legs are fine & he is Tyson at his best, i think he beats Usyk ,

Of course Usyk may still beat him we won't know til lit happens its all educated guess work now

Nothing wrong with saying that, you all know i backed Fury to beat him until that last fight ,

Chisora’s pressure bull forward style always going to be a problem for a smaller HW with not great power, who likes to move, pick, poke, reset. Usyk still got the win. But they could fight 10 times and Usyk would always struggle. Fury and Chisora fight 10 times and Fury always hammers him

I think he knew Bellew would tire, Bellew had a really hard time with his feet, he;s said himself the constant foot battle exhausted him , I think Usyk knew that , Chisora i think just caused him issues that he needed to grind out the win,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

the ref is mark nelson, refereed horn pacquiao with all the headbutts elbows and throws

i always feel like you need a big man to referee the heavyweights, this ol' lad is about the size of a middleweight

yeah he was announced last week and when I mentioned it here it pushed me more to a fury win, I wonder who picked the ref

Turki said fury is the future of boxing

But hey boxing isn’t corrupt at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I have cash on a draw but if Usyk won it would not surprise me.

He has the capacity to walk through punches late on and come on strong.

walk through punches is a bit of a stretch he’s not the next messiah, he’s good at avoiding punches like in the Aj fights but he gets hit the same as anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

i just want (and boxing needs) a good fight, a bit of dirt, lots of aggression, but fair

I wonder if the fight could be an awful mid to long range feint fest…

• Advertisement

I’ll reserve it for later on after the weigh in but I think Fury will stop him in 8 or fewer. I don’t think he stands up to big power and I think Fury will bully him around and then catch him. It’ll be ugly enough. Feint, jab and follow the jab in with a lean and tie up then get a breather. He will try to prevent Usyk from getting into a rhythm.

Solid argument. If Fury can consistently get up close to work, he can really do damage.

exactly what I was thinking yea. Very effective against a good boxer or dangerous puncher over whom you have a physical advantage

Fury is such an interesting heavy weight, The guys are that good that we could see one style fight tomorrow & a complex different on in the rematch with two different outcomes,

Like Wilder 1 & 2 was like two completely different versions of Fury, Not many at the weight class that change it up so drastically

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I will be watching this tomorrow. Oh yeahh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Looking forward to the weigh in even.

Greedy Belly v Softy Belly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,083 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

what time are you expecting the main fight ?

Advertisement