Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,955 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He’s asking about the other Tyson..

Small little lad.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭squinn2912

walshb wrote: »
    He’s asking about the other Tyson..

Small little lad.....

This is getting better and better! Tell you what lads, go back about 10 pages and there’s a whole raft of discussion on MIKE Tyson. Read that all and if there are any new points to make then let’s go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Small little lad.....

No need for the insults :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Probably done to death but who’s got the best jab we’ve seen at Heavyweight?

Bowe, Holmes and Vitali would be my top 3 probably in that order. Ali had the fastest Jab I’ve seen at heavyweight and probably ever will see but the other men could sit lads on their arse with a jab. Bowes jab was like getting hit with a straight right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,576 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Probably done to death but who’s got the best jab we’ve seen at Heavyweight?

Bowe, Holmes and Vitali would be my top 3 probably in that order. Ali had the fastest Jab I’ve seen at heavyweight and probably ever will see but the other men could sit lads on their arse with a jab. Bowes jab was like getting hit with a straight right.

Holmes for me by a distance. Then a toss up between Vitali, Ali and Liston. Tyson and Lewis the best of the 90s guys.

• Advertisement

Bowe’s the best combination of clean, fast, hard, effortless and thorough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

The Nal wrote: »
    Holmes for me by a distance. Then a toss up between Vitali, Ali and Liston. Tyson and Lewis the best of the 90s guys.

I’d say Holmes really perfected his jab in sparring against Ali. He might have been a lot younger than him but Ali still had faster hands at the time, would loved to have sat in on some of those sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dunston

With the Fury/Farmer story - did Fury reach out to the farmer in the first place and base his defence at the time on eating the wild boar? Just watched an interview with Frank Warren and he say's Fury doesn't know the farmer and has never met him. Not getting that part of the story?

From what I understand, UKAD never considered the boar story as a valid explanation anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Dunston wrote: »

From what I understand, UKAD never considered the boar story as a valid explanation anyway.

This is the major point. Fury was found Guilty of doping, served a 2 year ban and is now free to fight.

This is a non-story due to lack of sport happening.

Lewis has to be up there. Wlad got serious use out of the jab and hold combo

• Advertisement

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Lewis has to be up there. Wlad got serious use out of the jab and hold combo

Lewis didn't have a great jab to start but really perfected it under Steward.

This video still does the rounds at times but I always find it fascinating

This is the major point. Fury was found Guilty of doping, served a 2 year ban and is now free to fight.

This is a non-story due to lack of sport happening.

I get that, but how can Warren be claiming that Fury doesn't know who the farmer is? Surely he still has to stick by the boar story even if nobody believes it. Was waiting for an IFLtv interview to clear it up but i'm none the wiser.

I get that, but how can Warren be claiming that Fury doesn't know who the farmer is? Surely he still has to stick by the boar story even if nobody believes it. Was waiting for an IFLtv interview to clear it up but i'm none the wiser.

Not sure what your point is.
    Let's say one of you are up for murder and one of your lawyers brings up a witness with an alibi but the judge/jury disregards that evidence and finds you guilty anyway.
    You can't be double punished once you have served your sentence based on media speculation that your defence was false. The Judge/Jury has already decided your defence was false anyway.

Since it was a closed case we have no idea what evidence or witnesses were presented in Fury's defence. It really doesn't matter.

Fury is a convicted doper and has served his time. It's no different to saying that Mike Tyson was a convicted rapist who also served his time.

Not sure what your point is.
    Let's say one of you are up for murder and one of your lawyers brings up a witness with an alibi but the judge/jury disregards that evidence and finds you guilty anyway.
    You can't be double punished once you have served your sentence based on media speculation that your defence was false. The Judge/Jury has already decided your defence was false anyway.

Since it was a closed case we have no idea what evidence or witnesses were presented in Fury's defence. It really doesn't matter.

Fury is a convicted doper and has served his time. It's no different to saying that Mike Tyson was a convicted rapist who also served his time.

I'm not talking about the legal ramifications, I know the time has been served and a line can be drawn under that.

I was just curious what the Fury camp's responses would be to the inevitable interviews after this latest claim. I was expecting them to say "we stick by our original story, he supplied us with meat". I wasn't expecting "we don't know him and have never met him, he's a liar".

I'm not talking about the legal ramifications, I know the time has been served and a line can be drawn under that.

I was just curious what the Fury camp's responses would be to the inevitable interviews after this latest claim. I was expecting them to say "we stick by our original story, he supplied us with meat". I wasn't expecting "we don't know him and have never met him, he's a liar".

How do you know it was his original story? The evidence was confidential.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,628 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

With the Fury/Farmer story - did Fury reach out to the farmer in the first place and base his defence at the time on eating the wild boar? Just watched an interview with Frank Warren and he say's Fury doesn't know the farmer and has never met him. Not getting that part of the story?

The farmer is saying they reached out to him at the time offering money if he said he put stuff in his pigs and they ate it unknowingly, but he said refused to go along with it,

So Fury never said they got the boar from him , he was never mentioned to UKAD

Next to impossible for him to prove his story without a text or a recorded call from Fury himself,

Nothing will happened over it ,

I say relax lads we’re all on “slow day at the office” so this nothing story is taken out and the dust blown off.
    Here’s an idea. Why don’t we nominate a fight or fights, all watch on YouTube or whatever and then have a bit of discussion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I say relax lads we’re all on “slow day at the office” so this nothing story is taken out and the dust blown off.
    Here’s an idea. Why don’t we nominate a fight or fights, all watch on YouTube or whatever and then have a bit of discussion on it.

https://youtu.be/9k4bjNgEOpY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Get on this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062483&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Anyone tell me who mike tysons best win is? Or beat 3 wins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭blade1

US2 wrote: »

The Berbick one was where the whole world stood up and took notice.
    The manner it was done in and such a young age.
    If I remember correctly I think the fight was on Sky One. (No such thing as Sky sports back then. Although I think they showed a few fights on Sky Movies after that as it was a subscription channel).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,576 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Berbick, Spinks and then take your pick from any of the journeymen. He never beat anyone of note.

Reading in the Times yesterday...

Fury’s case to be reopened by UKAD...

Lot more to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Reading in the Times yesterday...

Fury’s case to be reopened by UKAD...

Lot more to it...

you must be in heaven :pac:

f6f.gif

Cyrus wrote: »
    you must be in heaven :pac:

f6f.gif

Your hero, the cheat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Your hero, the cheat!!

i wouldnt read too much into what this farmer says, he didnt actually receive any money for a start off.

Cyrus wrote: »
    i wouldnt read too much into what this farmer says, he didnt actually receive any money for a start off.

I know...I trust none of them.

All we know for sure is that Fury and Fury were found with elevated levels of a banned substance..

Served his time....

But, if shown that he was trying to tamper, which is the angle UKad are going at, them he could well face more banning...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

The Tony Tucker win was underrated. It was his best performance against the really big guys 6ft 6in 17st+ .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

The Tony Tucker win was underrated. It was his best performance against the really big and mobile technical guys who were 6ft 6in 16st+.

In contrast he was poor against Douglas and Lewis and to a lesser extent Ruddock

• Advertisement

Advertisement