Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,161 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In terms of a possible great fight, I reckon Povetkin-Whyte could provide it...

Povetkin, albeit past his best, will at least give it a real go.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

walshb wrote: »
    It will be a very very one sided beatdown...

Do you mean interest in terms of the landscape?

Chisora likely gets stopped late on after taking a steady hammering, as soon as Usyk gets going

Chisora, of course, like a lot of HWs has a chance to score a KO....

I mean in how good is Usyk going to be as a heavy weight ,

If Chisora is at it he gives anyone trouble. as in they will have to work very hard to get him out of there , he's a great gate keeper ,

I think it will give us a great idea of where Usyk is at as heavy weight ,

In terms of a possible great fight, I reckon Povetkin-Whyte could provide it...

Povetkin, albeit past his best, will at least give it a real go.

If Whyte is in decent shape I think he stops Povetkin in 6 or 7

Again I think its one of those " tuff fights" only because of the name and past , In the present its a pretty straight forward win for Whyte and that's why its been signed,

I mean in how good is Usyk going to be as a heavy weight ,

If Chisora is at it he gives anyone trouble. as in they will have to work very hard to get him out of there , he's a great gate keeper ,

I think it will give us a great idea of where Usyk is at as heavy weight ,

Yes, good points......

I get this...I just think that Chisora is so poor, that no matter what Usyk does, I may not change my view....

Unless he KOs him with one almighty power shot. That would have me thinking, that boy, this Usyk lad can punch.

Right now, I don't think he has the power needed at HW to be a big threat to the elite.

And I honetly believe that he needs some sort of power to have a good chance v Fury and AJ and Wilder....he won't beat them on points.....Could beat Wilder and AJ, but that would mean he needs a really really solid HW chin......

I predict Wilder and AJ beat Usyk via KO, and Fury via KO or points....more likely points....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If Whyte is in decent shape I think he stops Povetkin in 6 or 7

Again I think its one of those " tuff fights" only because of the name and past , In the present its a pretty straight forward win for Whyte and that's why its been signed,

yep whyte should blast povetkin out of it

• Advertisement

Yes, good points......

I get this...I just think that Chisora is so poor, that no matter what Usyk does, I may not change my view....

Unless he KOs him with one almighty power shot. That would have me thinking, that boy, this Usyk lad can punch.

Right now, I don't think he has the power needed at HW to be a big threat to the elite.

And I honetly believe that he needs some sort of power to have a good chance v Fury and AJ and Wilder....he won't beat them on points.....Could beat Wilder and AJ, but that would mean he needs a really really solid HW chin......

I predict Wilder and AJ beat Usyk via KO, and Fury via KO or points....more likely points....

That kinda why I want to see it , I want to see can Usyk hurt Chisora(nothing against Chisora )

I just want to see does Usyk carry power to get the respect of the big boys which he will need if he wants to outbox them ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

ACAguy wrote: »
    Joyce Dubois April 11th
    Whyte Povektin May 2nd
    Usyk Chisora May 23rd
    Joshua Pulev June 20th
    Fury Wilder July 18th

Some few months ahead. hopefully matchroom throw Hunter/Hrgovic/Parker/Bakole/Fury together on undercards

I thought Hrgovic was fighting Bakole?

I see they are putting Whyte vs Povetkin on as a PPV.
    I won’t be paying for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I see they are putting Whyte vs Povetkin on as a PPV.
    I won’t be paying for that.

Might be worth a skip over to Manchester though. I’ve a mate living in the area so I think I’ll head over to it.

Might be worth a skip over to Manchester though. I’ve a mate living in the area so I think I’ll head over to it.

Fairly poor fight though.

40 year old, small, over the hill, ex ped user who recently drew with a failed Cruiserweight up against a fat overhyped Ped using dosser.

I'd watch if they put two boxing dwarfs on the telly, but pay for it?

No thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Fairly poor fight though.

40 year old, small, over the hill, ex ped user who recently drew with a failed Cruiserweight up against a fat overhyped Ped using dosser.

I'd watch if they put two boxing dwarfs on the telly, but pay for it?

No thanks!
    What a breakdown! Tickets will be £100 hardly worth that let alone the journey but if your buddy is over there good way to put in an evening

Any of you look at Parker on Saturday? I think he’s a big, strong boy when he’s in the mood. I’d say he regrets not having a real go at Joshua. After the fight he called out Chisora and whyte. Not the loftiest of ambitions for a 28 year old ex champ

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Any of you look at Parker on Saturday? I think he’s a big, strong boy when he’s in the mood. I’d say he regrets not having a real go at Joshua. After the fight he called out Chisora and whyte. Not the loftiest of ambitions for a 28 year old ex champ

He was up against a 40 year old novice weighing 208lbs and still took a few digs and had trouble putting him away.
    How can anyone draw conclusions from that?

He showed potential against Whyte but left it until the last round to get into gear, spending the previous 11 whinging and moaning to the ref. Granted Whyte was fouling but if he quit moaning he could have put a beating on him.

I like Parker but he needs to stop being such a nice guy and go for it.

He was up against a 40 year old novice weighing 208lbs and still took a few digs and had trouble putting him away.
    How can anyone draw conclusions from that?

He showed potential against Whyte but left it until the last round to get into gear, spending the previous 11 whinging and moaning to the ref. Granted Whyte was fouling but if he quit moaning he could have put a beating on him.

I like Parker but he needs to stop being such a nice guy and go for it.

Yea all of that is fair. Last paragraph is spot on he’s just too easy and nice. I like him too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Lofty ambitions for A list money versus B/C list opponents!

Sound's silly to question an ex world champ, but for me Parker lacks the guts to be elite, ,
    He needs to be more aggressive and in doing that put himself in the line of fire more often ,
    He only went for it against Whyte in the last round or 2 against AJ he was happy to just not get knocked out ,

His foe the other night was a complete nobody.....tells us nothing of Parker that we don't already know. He's not near elite. Never was.

His foe the other night was a complete nobody.....tells us nothing of Parker that we don't already know. He's not near elite. Never was.

Totally agree ,

I see your points lads but to be fair he's held the belt and beat a live fighter to win it then defended it against decent opposition which separates him from the likes of Charles Martin (who actually did ok against Washington despite moving like treacle).
    He went the distance with Joshua and had Whyte all but beaten who is knocking at the door and many are up in arms that he's not had a title fight yet. That's all solid enough. In reality though I don't think any of the big 3 or so would be quaking in their boots over him. Just think he's as near to elite level as any of the rest really.

I see your points lads but to be fair he's held the belt and beat a live fighter to win it then defended it against decent opposition which separates him from the likes of Charles Martin (who actually did ok against Washington despite moving like treacle).
    He went the distance with Joshua and had Whyte all but beaten who is knocking at the door and many are up in arms that he's not had a title fight yet. That's all solid enough. In reality though I don't think any of the big 3 or so would be quaking in their boots over him. Just think he's as near to elite level as any of the rest really.

Just thinking about it last night.
    Himself, Ruiz and Whyte are at about the same level as Chisora (who himself is now 36 and past his best).
    If that is near Elite level then god help us all.

I am hoping some of the new boys like Dubois and Hrgovic can advance to sub elite level soon otherwise the division is very very shallow.

• Advertisement

Himself, Ruiz and Whyte are at about the same level as Chisora (who himself is now 36 and past his best).

I am hoping some of the new boys like Dubois and Hrgovic can advance to sub elite level soon otherwise the division is very very shallow.

Something that is lost on a lot of people is the fact that boxing gets very very few elite athletes ,

Its just more noticeable at heavy weight as its not a requirement to come in at a certain weight ,

Think of all the people you knew growing up in school , the guys who are naturally athletic that end up playing pro soccer and rugby or county gaa players ,If those guys boxed form an early age a good number of them would go far ,

Its rare for most athletic guys you know who to have boxed form an early age,

It does happen but not often enough ,

Look at the US for example if your a athletic big guy there is huge money to be made in NFL or NBA and they round them all up very young,

Look at Wilder dreamed of being Wide receiver or Basket ball player but wasn't good enough for his local college So fell into boxing at 20

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Removalist

Whyte Povetkin presser on now.

Something that is lost on a lot of people is the fact that boxing gets very very few elite athletes ,

Its just more noticeable at heavy weight as its not a requirement to come in at a certain weight ,

Think of all the people you knew growing up in school , the guys who are naturally athletic that end up playing pro soccer and rugby or county gaa players ,If those guys boxed form an early age a good number of them would go far ,

Its rare for most athletic guys you know who to have boxed form an early age,

It does happen but not often enough ,

Look at the US for example if your a athletic big guy there is huge money to be made in NFL or NBA and they round them all up very young,

Look at Wilder dreamed of being Wide receiver or Basket ball player but wasn't good enough for his local college So fell into boxing at 20

It sure has lost its glamour appeal the past few decades. HW champion of the world was always the most prestigious prize in all sports...not other title in any sport could claim this....now, and recently, it juts doesn't have that magicness...

It sure has lost its glamour appeal the past few decades. HW champion of the world was always the most prestigious prize in all sports...not other title in any sport could claim this....now, and recently, it juts doesn't have that magicness...

Its because of money ,

Look at the NFL each team (32) are allowed 53 players , the average player wage is 2.1 million a year ,

NBA each team (30) are allowed 15 players the average wage is 7.7million a year

I agree with this. Povetkin is running on fumes and breathing out of his arse after 4/5 rounds. Not that interesting to me.

It really is ridiculous that they are putting this on Box Office.
    Who in their right mind is going to fork out €25 to see the fight?

Read some of those other contributions and it's interesting. So the athletes typically aren't going into boxing, especially the big guys. Dominic Breazaele was also playing football until a fair age.

Chisora is having something of an Indian summer he missed out on his best because he wouldn't live the life.

Read some of those other contributions and it's interesting. So the athletes typically aren't going into boxing, especially the big guys. Dominic Breazaele was also playing football until a fair age.

Chisora is having something of an Indian summer he missed out on his best because he wouldn't live the life.

Look at Ireland a
    Would I be wrong in saying there are 3 pro heavy weights in the country ?

The two I know of for sure are not natural heavy weights but lads with loads of extra weight ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Look at Ireland a
    Would I be wrong in saying there are 3 pro heavy weights in the country ?

The two I know of for sure are not natural heavy weights but lads with loads of extra weight ,

You are right in this assumption, couldn't agree more. Skill level at HW is poor, its basically lads who took the sport up pretty late.

Even Joshua is a late comer. Its why Fury looks to have the best boxing skills (started early) of this generation, but its more a reflection on how shallow the pool of talent is.

More money being a wide receiver, linebacker, point guard.

It really is ridiculous that they are putting this on Box Office.
    Who in their right mind is going to fork out €25 to see the fight?

Ridiculous, but far from surprising....

In this crazy world, Dillian Whyte is deemed PPV worthy....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Ridiculous, but far from surprising....

In this crazy world, Dillian Whyte is deemed PPV worthy....

Sky want to keep Whyte ticking over as a "box office" fighter as he will be easy pickings to throw Joshua if they are ever stuck. Bigger fools who buy it.

What is Whyte doing anyway? Shows how f*cked the ranking system is. Hasn't he been WBC number 1 contender for couple of years? I could be wrong on that but thought it was the case.

Hes nowhere near mentioned as fighting the likes of Wilder or Fury. Seems to be Eddie Hearns new "final eliminator" guy.

Advertisement