Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi woman arrested for wearing skirt

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Never understand how feminists don't make these kinds of issues faced by women a top priority for them.

Even when I first heard of Malala Yousafzai it was when a docu about was shown in the IFI.

They speak out about manspreading and mansplaining more than they do about these kind of situations.

The American left doesn't really care about other countries. Ever seen a protest about Yemen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

You think the protest of a joe soap like me will make a difference?

Its our elected politicians who need to make the protest and also it would be useful if the UN made a protest the odd time.

The Saudi's financially own half the planet and you want 'our' government

to make a protest on your behalf! Imagine the consequences of that gesture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

The Saudi's financially own half the planet and you want 'our' government

to make a protest on your behalf! Imagine the consequences of that gesture!

The alternative which you are clearly advocating is for no-one ever to question anything, to let every kind of human rights infringement to go on because it would be pointless for anyone, particularly any individual let alone governments to protest.

Lets all just bury our heads in the sand, ignore it or hope it goes away.

That doesn't work, it never works. Eventually with enough protest and with enough subtle changes in policy such as not welcoming heads of states from these countries on state visits, and many other minor changes, they will get the picture that they need to change their behaviour. It wont be easy but it still needs to be done.

There is a direct link between hardline religious states and terrorism, there always was and there always will be. Saudi Arabians need to be given an alternative narrative and they need to embrace liberal values. Because when you have hardliners in the middle east, hardliners wearing suicide vests turning up in the west aren't far behind.

The alternative which you are clearly advocating is for no-one ever to question anything, to let every kind of human rights infringement to go on because it would be pointless for anyone, particularly any individual let alone governments to protest.

Lets all just bury our heads in the sand, ignore it or hope it goes away.

That doesn't work, it never works. Eventually with enough protest and with enough subtle changes in policy such as not welcoming heads of states from these countries on state visits, and many other minor changes, they will get the picture that they need to change their behaviour. It wont be easy but it still needs to be done.

There is a direct link between hardline religious states and terrorism, there always was and there always will be. Saudi Arabians need to be given an alternative narrative and they need to embrace liberal values. Because when you have hardliners in the middle east, hardliners wearing suicide vests turning up in the west aren't far behind.

You need to turn off Sky News!

You need to turn off Sky News!

I don't watch SKY News. You need to actually watch a news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

I don't agree with the countries laws and so choose not to visit. If I was to I would abide by them. I don't know if it was attention seeking or just ignorance but what did she expect to happen her posting the video online.
    Why anyone would wish to either visit or work in a country that totally disregards the human rights of both its citizens and those essentially enslaved there is beyond me.

IMO she's a very stupid attention seeking woman who now ends up receiving attention I'm sure she would rather be without. That said, I do hope she is released quickly. Terrifying predicament to find yourself in.

As stated in the article, and even the headline, she's Saudi Arabian.

She didn't even upload the video, she was just walking around in normal clothes in empty areas.

You seem to think for some reason she's a tourist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Once the oil runs out in Saudi, they will be back herding camels without a pot to piss in.

Their fall will be spectacular and I hope I am alive to witness it.

Dunno what age you are but so few people reading this thread, if any, will get to witness such a day.

I don't watch SKY News. You need to actually watch a news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIYfiRyPi3o

Very humorous but very relevant!

• Site Banned Posts: 96 ✭✭Sven Hassel

Never understand how feminists don't make these kinds of issues faced by women a top priority for them.

Even when I first heard of Malala Yousafzai it was when a docu about was shown in the IFI.

They speak out about manspreading and mansplaining more than they do about these kind of situations.

Terrified of being accused of racism and 'islamophobia'. Safer to go after white lads playing computer games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIYfiRyPi3o

Very humorous but very relevant!

Pretty typical of the Brits I'd say. Say one thing, mean the other.

The Brits, French, Germans, Italians and everyone else have been tripping over themselves to get their hands on Saudi money, yet also claim to represent human rights. Our governments stink sometimes and should always be held to account by the people.

Luckily we live in a democracy. Unfortunately a lot of the electorate are not that well informed about world affairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Oil never had anything to do with it.

Are you serious? Oil has had everything to do with every foreign policy developed by the US for the past century

Pretty typical of the Brits I'd say. Say one thing, mean the other.

The Brits, French, Germans, Italians and everyone else have been tripping over themselves to get their hands on Saudi money, yet also claim to represent human rights. Our governments stink sometimes and should always be held to account by the people.

Luckily we live in a democracy. Unfortunately a lot of the electorate are not that well informed about world affairs.

We live behind the curtains of what you call a democracy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOvEwtDycs

We live behind the curtains of what you call a democracy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOvEwtDycs

Okaaay :rolleyes:

It would be nice if you stuck to the thread topic, rather than going off on tangents and whataboutery and linking to youtube videos which I don't have time to be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Okaaay :rolleyes:

It would be nice if you stuck to the thread topic, rather than going off on tangents and whataboutery and linking to youtube videos which I don't have time to be watching.

make time to watch them.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

See that the Saudis are modifying their list of demands. All in all, likely to end up as a fiasco for them.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40654023

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

The young woman has been released from custody and there won't be any consequences for her.
    According to Saudi authorities "the case is closed". No further comment has been made.

I'm really glad for her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Terrified of being accused of racism and 'islamophobia'. Safer to go after white lads playing computer games.

Bang on.
    And ESA employees who wear shirts with women in bikinis on them - fire him !! ruin his life!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Carry wrote: »
    The young woman has been released from custody and there won't be any consequences for her.
    According to Saudi authorities "the case is closed". No further comment has been made.

I'm really glad for her :)
    Let's hope she learned her lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

ScumLord wrote: »

Yeah lets also hope any women that show too much leg on a Saturday night out in Temple Bar and get hassled by men learn their lesson too :rolleyes:

Bang on.
    And ESA employees who wear shirts with women in bikinis on them - fire him !! ruin his life!!!

Meanwhile Iman Ibin Al Mohammad al Bin Laden is preaching that husbands should have the right to rape and beat their wives and the western feminist response is 'em like that's their culture and like we should respect that. Omg are you actually like Islamophobic?' :D

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »

What lesson? Obey your male elders? :rolleyes:

Maybe other women learned a lesson through her: Disobey!

Meanwhile Iman Ibin Al Mohammad al Bin Laden is preaching that husbands should have the right to rape and beat their wives and the western feminist response is 'em like that's their culture and like we should respect that. Omg are you actually like Islamophobic?' :D

Ah, the feminists! Bad girls, them.
    Where did you ever hear a feminist saying such rubbish? In your male fantasy?

Carry wrote: »
    Ah, the feminists! Bad girls, them.
    Where did you ever hear a feminist saying such rubbish? In your male fantasy?

Their silence on muslim abuse of women, especially on western women tends to be defending. Where were all the slut marches in Rotherham etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Another disgraceful action by the despicable fascist thugs (and their agents styling themselves as police) that rule Saudi Arabia. Horrid place with no excuses at all for how it goes on. It is rich, hasn't had a war or revolution in its recent history and has good relations with the West. Saudi Arabia should look more like the Shah's Iran of the 1960s and 1970s, instead it is far worse in 2017 than 1981 Iran. Only richer of course but more miserable and repressive. 1981 Iran had the excuse of revolution, war with Iraq and isolation. Countries like Iran, Iraq and Libya, Afghanistan too all have the excuse of being stunted by wars that allowed extremists jostle control from moderates. Saudi Arabia has no such excuse and it acting almost as bad as ISIS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Their silence on muslim abuse of women, especially on western women tends to be defending. Where were all the slut marches in Rotherham etc?

The whole Islam needs to be reformed and taken back from the extremists who have bullied their way into being the voices of that faith worldwide and who have interpreted things in their own way to suit their own agendas. So, today's Muslims are brainwashed to think drinking a few beers or a woman not covering her hair and face is bad but it is ok to go out and kill as many innocent people as possible!! In the name of god, forgive the pun, the leaders of the faith need to get their priorities right.

Sadly, Saudi extremism is what has taken over. They aided and abetted Afghanistan's slide from moderate communist and royalist governance to the extremism of the Taliban. They funded Mosques in Iran in return for them to spread an intolerant and anti-royalist version there and torpedoed the Middle East's best country and turned it into a Shia reflection of themselves. Their funding of extremism worldwide has lead to a lot of murderous thugs who have joined al Qaeda and ISIS.

It is time for someone in Islam to come out and say we don't want blood money from the Saudis and that it is ok to drink alcohol and dress as one pleases but it is not ok to kill innocent people in the name of Allah. That is what NEEDS to be said and fast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nagnata wrote: »
    Horrible culture probably 1000 years behind our western culture nd values.
    not that far behind us.

Magdalene laundries
    Women being "churched" after having a baby
    until 1990 a husband couldn't be found guilty of raping his wife
    until comparatively recently you could get a priest or doctor to sign an elderly relative into the "funny farm" so you could inherit the farm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

not that far behind us.

Magdalene laundries
    Women being "churched" after having a baby
    until 1990 a husband couldn't be found guilty of raping his wife
    until comparatively recently you could get a priest or doctor to sign an elderly relative into the "funny farm" so you could inherit the farm
    Oh christ, not this cultural equivalence the Irish must forever wear sackcloth ballsology again... I'm sorry Capt'n, No they are that far behind us. Even at the height of oul Catholic Ireland we were in the tuppenny hapenny place compared to that sh1tshow masquerading as a country. And demonstrably so with it. Theocratic Ireland was a too long period of daftness, but by jaysus it grows in importance in retrospect like a fibbing fisherman's tales of the one that got away.

In Good oul Catholic Ireland did women not have the vote? Could women walk abroad without male company? Could women hold passports, driving licences? Could women own land? Could women choose their husbands? Did we have public beheadings on Ayre Square? Did we have indentured slaves? No, we bloody well didn't and that's only a short list. To this idea? Get off the stage.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Nagnata wrote: »
    Horrible culture probably 1000 years behind our western culture nd values.

At least they now seem to be able to debate their values and culture on television, that's progress.

I would of thought this man would have been executed for espousing these views in Saudi.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Catholic Ireland. Earlier.

24-04-1967-Mary-Quant-Launches-Cosmetics-C826-365.jpg

1960's Fashionista Mary Quant sports a mini skirt in Ireland, while legs akimbo draped over an E-Type Jaaaag. As was the fashion of the time. And no harm to it. With a church in the background. Ohmigod!! :eek: The bishop will be along any moment with his crozier willy in hand to slap her in irons and excommunicate her for being a brazen whore. Not. Not arrested and detained in Catolic Ireland, today she'd be taken out by the Saudi "morality" police in seconds. In front of a mosque, with her legs apart and driving the car? Hundred lashes at least. Compare and contrast and g'way with the nonsense of "ah sure we were nearly as bad you know. Dead babies and bishoprics. Nudge nudge".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

At least they now seem to be able to debate their values and culture on television, that's progress.

I would of thought this man would have been executed for espousing these views in Saudi.

Fcuk me, that lad has some stones. And makes some bloody valid points. Though I would take issue with some of his take. EG the notion that the Arab Muslim world has always been like this. They had an initial and sadly all too brief flowering of great scholarship and eagerness to learn in equal measure with teaching. Not unlike Ireland in the early medieval and remarkably similar in a couple of ways. Namely a once tribal, isolated and largely illiterate culture found its voice and pen through a common new faith and in that flowering of the first love of language and the knowledge that came from without with it(for them the Greeks, for us more the Roman world) had a real gra and talent for accumulating, condensing, improving upon and spreading it. The insular Arab came later.

Advertisement