Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi woman arrested for wearing skirt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Theyll probably get a dressing down from the UN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Theyll probably get a dressing down from the UN.

Or elected to chair a UN human rights body.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

In which theyll just skirt around the real issues. And get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

What an aul slut, showing her ankles and shins to the world and knees too, by god, I need to have a sit down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

6b86227e9b09c7c10f071db66eb2b1ad--dat-ankle-charlotte.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Joke of a country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/07/18/a-video-of-a-woman-in-a-skirt-sparks-outrage-in-saudi-arabia/?hpid=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-world%3Ahomepage%2Fcard&utm_term=.c70060b09cae

The sooner the west stops buying oil from and supporting this regime the better. They make stone age men look enlightened.

It's all our fault. We just don't understand their culture. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭Allinall

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    In which theyll just skirt around the real issues. And get away with it.

Ahem... there's many a slip....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

proper order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Thank goodness I live in the west.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Wossack wrote:
    proper order

She's hawt though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

"Although foreigners are usually exempted from such rules and Saudi women often find ways to skirt them, many religiously conservative Saudis feel strongly about them."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Ahhh Saudi Arabia the cause of all of Islams problems...

P.S If they cant handle their hot women mebbe we could take them off their hands they'd just love it here.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The level of hypocrisy, in the Saudi's accusations of terror funding by Qatar, was astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

Thems are the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Maybe it was just a really ugly skirt and this was the fashion police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

That's when a lot of people stopped giving two f*cks about the UN.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I don't agree with the countries laws and so choose not to visit. If I was to I would abide by them. I don't know if it was attention seeking or just ignorance but what did she expect to happen her posting the video online.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't agree with the countries laws and so choose not to visit. If I was to I would abide by them. I don't know if it was attention seeking or just ignorance but what did she expect to happen her posting the video online.
    'Sure, what did you expect would happen to you if you went out wearing that? It's your own fault'.

That kinda thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Once the oil runs out in Saudi, they will be back herding camels without a pot to piss in.

Their fall will be spectacular and I hope I am alive to witness it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I'm just glad that the freedom loving leader of western democracy has imposed such stringent and punitive sanctions on this oppressive sharia controlled sh1t hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Once the oil runs out in Saudi, they will be back herding camels without a pot to piss in.

I'll get the popcorn and coke then....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭DaniilKharms

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!! Horrible country does something horrible.

Seriously, this is the biggest state sponsor of terror on the planet; why would ANYONE put ANYTHING past these violent dictators?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

The Fin Times have written about this for a while now. Apparently some countries are desperately trying to prevent global warming measures from being applied because of the amount of money tied up in oil exploration, well finding, reserves etc.

Mark Carney warns investors face ‘huge’ climate change losses
    “The exposure of UK investors, including insurance companies, to these shifts is potentially huge,” he told a Lloyd's of London dinner on Tuesday night, explaining 19 per cent of FTSE 100 companies were in the natural resources and extraction industries.
    https://www.ft.com/content/622de3da-66e6-11e5-97d0-1456a776a4f5

The same paper recons that renewable are moving so fast it could crash some economies, pensions etc are all tied up in the idea that the world will always need oil and gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

I'm waiting for the day a plane load of drunken Scotsmen land there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The consequences for her will be severe, unfortunately.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hate to burst your bubble but the Saudi's have been investing for years.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/22/reuters-america-saudi-arabia-spends-money-to-make-money-in-foreign-investment-drive.html
    In China, the Saudi king oversaw the signing of deals worth as much as $65 billion in industries including light manufacturing and electronics, as both sides played up a Saudi role in China's One Belt, One Road strategy to integrate Eurasian economies.

A string of deals in Japan included an undertaking by Toyota Motor Corp to study the possibility of making vehicles in Saudi Arabia.

That was good news for Riyadh's effort to build a modern, industrial economy which it hopes will create millions of jobs and allow it to cope with an era of cheap oil.

City regulator plans rule change to allow Saudi oil giant's $2tn float in London

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

endacl wrote: »
    'Sure, what did you expect would happen to you if you went out wearing that? It's your own fault'.

That kinda thinking?

Sorry, what??

It's fairly well known Saudis stance on female dress is. So yes, it is her own fault.

Why anyone would wish to either visit or work in a country that totally disregards the human rights of both its citizens and those essentially enslaved there is beyond me.

IMO she's a very stupid attention seeking woman who now ends up receiving attention I'm sure she would rather be without. That said, I do hope she is released quickly. Terrifying predicament to find yourself in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Of course.

But there are 20,000 members of the Saudi Royal family who will still expect to live like kings when the oil runs out.

And they also have a population of over 20 million that are kept on state subsidised welfare.

They'll burn though that investment money in a generation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Effectively the oil has run out for the Saudis in terms of wealth and they are running on a $100bn deficit each year now. The Saudi economy is running huge deficits since oil prices corrected themselves back in 2014. Their economy is based on >$100 barrel oil which hopefully we will not see for a while again. They are planning on privatising a small share of Saudi Aramco and are also diversifying massively particularly in more liberal (I use the word liberal here objectively) Jeddah where the new Kingdom Tower is under construction which will surpass the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. I really don't see how this can work considering all kuffar infedels (you and me) are banned from Saudi Arabai unless we are either on business or Islamic Pilgrimage.

Advertisement