Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avengers Infinity War **spoilers from post 572**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Smertrius wrote: »
    Loki is still alive he coming back avengers 4

I mean, he could be, hes deceived Thor a few times by being "dead" but I reckon as it stands, its fair to assume, unless its a flashback/time travelling scene, we wont be seeing Loki in Avengers 4 or in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,371 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I mean, he could be, hes deceived Thor a few times by being "dead" but I reckon as it stands, its fair to assume, unless its a flashback/time travelling scene, we wont be seeing Loki in Avengers 4 or in the future.

Actually there was one popular theory (not sure I buy it and can't remember the scenes exactly) but Loki is apparently right handed (the scepter in Avengers was carried in his right hand etc.) but when he first faked death he was suddenly carrying his weapon is his left hand. Supposedly when he attacked Thanos he once again suddenly had the dagger in his left hand so some think that means he faked his death again.

I personally really doubt Thanos could be duped like this however. I think it was more likely Cull and/or Corvus was standing to Loki's right so he had to have the dagger in his left to "suprise" Thanos.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

They've been quite explicit that he's really dead.

"No resurrections this time" - Thanos
    "I think this time he might really be dead" - Thor (paraphrased)

They can do pretty much whatever given the source material, but it'd be plain old sh*t writing to reverse it at this point.
    Loki's death was one of the most effective scenes in any Marvel film, and it's possibly made more so given his usual ability to dodge death, but it'd be neutered completely in hindsight if they ret-conned it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If they reversed any of the 'actual' deaths I'd immediately lose respect for the MCU in a heartbeat. I don't think anyone over the age of 10 seriously believes the victims of the Snapocalypse will remain dead, but Loki's death had narrative, characterful purpose; highlighting just how serious the stakes were by killing off a fan favourite (and quite gruesomely too IIRC; Hiddleston really selling the scene).

pjohnson wrote: »
    Actually there was one popular theory (not sure I buy it and can't remember the scenes exactly) but Loki is apparently right handed (the scepter in Avengers was carried in his right hand etc.) but when he first faked death he was suddenly carrying his weapon is his left hand. Supposedly when he attacked Thanos he once again suddenly had the dagger in his left hand so some think that means he faked his death again.

I personally really doubt Thanos could be duped like this however. I think it was more likely Cull and/or Corvus was standing to Loki's right so he had to have the dagger in his left to "suprise" Thanos.

There was another theory that Loki's death was almost pre-planned by himself, he said to Thanos would never be a God and that upon Lokis death he would ascend ask Odin and the Gods for help to defeat Thanos but I dont subscribe to that at all.

I also think anything before Dr Strange's vision of the 14 odd million outcomes can be pretty much confirmed as done, dead, set in stone, as he only sees the outcome from that point on and the wheels are clearly set in motion from then.

Also, Thors main motivation now too is to avenge the Asgardians that Thanos slaughtered, Heimdall but mainly Loki.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭splashthecash

What does anyone think of this little theory...

With the Fox deal supposedly going through (I know there is still red tape to be cleared) the MCU use Thanos's snap to bring about the birth of the Fantastic Four!

Picture this - the four are in space (pre-special powers) and doing their usual astronaut thing and when the snap happens, this causes their ship (presumably due to people vanishing in the control room on Earth, and things not being pressed when they were supposed to) to go off course into somewhere it shouldn't. They may have been monitoring a weird space phenomena or something like that and BAM, the FF are born...

The above assumes that MCU don't want to introduce the FF as an already established team who are well used to and comfortable with their powers.

It would address the inevitable question of "well, why didn't the FF help when NY was attacked in Avengers 1"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

sounds cool, but Avengers 3&4 were filmed together. and preproduction was years ago. Not sure they could have made this big a gamble.

sounds cool, but Avengers 3&4 were filmed together. and preproduction was years ago. Not sure they could have made this big a gamble.

Yeah, true but I have heard that MCU have more than one plan for the next 4-5 years based on if they did\did not get the Fox properties, and these discussions about the Fox purchase would have started well over a year ago in the background before it ever came to public knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Kevin Feige is already probably plotting the FF as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,072 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

the Xmen and other mutants were also very quite for all these attacks ???

its all pretty exciting and hopefully the red tape on the fox deal is sorted

• Advertisement

What does anyone think of this little theory...

With the Fox deal supposedly going through (I know there is still red tape to be cleared) the MCU use Thanos's snap to bring about the birth of the Fantastic Four!

Picture this - the four are in space (pre-special powers) and doing their usual astronaut thing and when the snap happens, this causes their ship (presumably due to people vanishing in the control room on Earth, and things not being pressed when they were supposed to) to go off course into somewhere it shouldn't. They may have been monitoring a weird space phenomena or something like that and BAM, the FF are born...

The above assumes that MCU don't want to introduce the FF as an already established team who are well used to and comfortable with their powers.

It would address the inevitable question of "well, why didn't the FF help when NY was attacked in Avengers 1"

Does Chris Evans play Human Torch or Cap?

<runs>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Will they use the 'snap' fallout in any of the netflix shows I wonder? I know they are pretty separate universes but they did mention the attack on new york quite a bit in Daredevil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They almost never mentioned the attack though, and when it was, the Netflix shows fell over themselves trying to downplay an alien invasion; IIRC they mostly referred to it as 'the Incident', but never spoke of the aliens, giant living spaceships crashing into buildings, or nearly getting nuked in the process. I think there was one direct reference to Thor in Dardevil season 1 but that's about as explicit as it ever got throughout the many series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Don’t be fooled by Jeph Loeb, it’s not connected.
    You will never see any consequences of the snapture in any of the TV shows, maybe a throwaway line here and there, and only after the plot is already resolved and no longer relevant to the plot of the movies.
    The best thing they could do is draw a definitive line in the sand, and officially “unconnect” TVs from the films.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Did the Black Order know of Thano's plans? And is their a chance that Corvus Glaive is still alive since his spear is still in tact?

Just wondering will the team in Wakanda have someone to interrogate.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Does Chris Evans play Human Torch or Cap?

<runs>

Human cap. The two merge back to one regular Joe.

I just wonder what the MCU will do re: Logan, Xavier and Magneto. Recasting them will be a headache. Especially Logan.

It feels like there needs to be a bit of a general cleanup.

It'd be nice to see them reincorporate elements from the TV shows, the new Fox stuff and normalise it all.

They could chuck around the word inhumans a bit in passing, reference the terrigen crystals and have some sort of news report clip where people are starting to refer to these people as "mutants", thus neatly knitting the whole thing together.

I think there's going to be a bit of a break in suspension of disbelief if they reincorporate the big names from franchises that have been independently successful, like X Men.

I'd rather they gave it all a wide berth for a few years, maybe adopted a few more obscure characters. Once a bit of time passes, and Stewart, McKellen, Fassbender and McAvoy aren't as closely associated with the characters, then you're in the clear.

Of course, that would require restraint and the desire to not immediately make as much money as possible, so they'll probably chuck them all in straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

So far, that gels with what I've seen discussed. The route I've seen discussed is they are likely have to give X-Men a cooling off time and go fantastic four first.

Grace put forward the possible idea of bring Storm into a Wakanda story. I remember in the animated series that Storm is from Africa but don't remember which country or how close they are to Wakanda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Gbear wrote: »
    Of course, that would require restraint and the desire to not immediately make as much money as possible, so they'll probably chuck them all in straight away.
    In fairness, Marvel have been patient with their movies, building things up over years. I don't think they'd have any issues with just hinting at mutants during Phase 4, and possibly even Phase 5, and then introducing the B team before going to the main X-Men characters.

Johnmb wrote: »
    In fairness, Marvel have been patient with their movies, building things up over years. I don't think they'd have any issues with just hinting at mutants during Phase 4, and possibly even Phase 5, and then introducing the B team before going to the main X-Men characters.

We haven't had a situation where they've had a bunch of proven characters fall into their lap all at once though.

We saw with Star Wars how quickly a film was sputtered out following the buyout. Having to fork over $50b quid might make the higher ups a bit antsy to see a pay off from it.

Slydice wrote: »
    So far, that gels with what I've seen discussed. The route I've seen discussed is they are likely have to give X-Men a cooling off time and go fantastic four first.

Grace put forward the possible idea of bring Storm into a Wakanda story. I remember in the animated series that Storm is from Africa but don't remember which country or how close they are to Wakanda.

Storm was actually born in America. But she was orphaned in Cairo where she became a master thief, then she met Tchalla as a teenager as she roamed the African desert, she was then eventually adopted/worshipped by a Kenyan village which she now regards as her home. She also after being an X-Man becomes Tchalla's wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It would be great if the TV shows would tie into the films a little bit more, no reason why the TV shows couldn't be used to add context to certain things/characters/concepts with the odd cameo appearance from one of the main characters.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Storm was actually born in America. But she was orphaned in Cairo where she became a master thief, then she met Tchalla as a teenager as she roamed the African desert, she was then eventually adopted/worshipped by a Kenyan village which she now regards as her home. She also after being an X-Man becomes Tchalla's wife.

I guess this is the version I was talking about:
    http://marvelanimated.wikia.com/wiki/Storm
    Ororo Munroe, also known as Storm, is a mutant and member of the X-Men. She comes from Africa. She would also be leader of the Morlocks for a long time.
    Contents
    Biography
    Ororo Munroe was born in Africa in a small village near Mount Kilimanjaro.

Ye know what though, I checked the episode (ah Morph, now there's someone I want to see returned!) and one of the characters says Storm arrived into the village as an orphan.

All her wiki history says New York/America: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_(Marvel_Comics)

I don't remember her birth history anywhere else in the animated series so I think it could be a misunderstanding and the animated series could also fall back into the New York storyline.

Out on DVD this coming weekend

I imagine the 4K will be hard to track down in person and online is prob the best option. Golden Discs charge way to much for 4Ks

4k blu ray arrived this morning

Only buy a handful of DVDs/BDs nowadays, ebuzz.ie is a great service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Advertisement