Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avengers Infinity War **spoilers from post 572**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

But once that axe handle gets wet it will start sprouting and Thor will have to carry around an axe with Groot's head growing out off it, think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

JJayoo wrote: »
    But once that axe handle gets wet it will start sprouting and Thor will have to carry around an axe with Groot's head growing out off it, think about that.

Yes, we're in constant danger due to all the park benches sprouting trees after a drop of rain.

astrofool wrote: »
    Yes, we're in constant danger due to all the park benches sprouting trees after a drop of rain.

Are you really trying to apply logic, and poorly at that, to a discussion about an imaginary film...it's not real...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Is Groot worthy or did that only apply to Thor's first hammer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Penn wrote: »
    Plus he re-grew his arm so it's no longer Groot's arm that's on the hammer, just what used to be Groot's arm which is basically just wood.

If you collect all the bits that fall off Groot and put them back together how many centuries of them shouting "I am Groot" at each other will it take to resolve who truly is Groot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

Is Groot worthy or did that only apply to Thor's first hammer?

That was a spell put on by oden in the first Thor so wouldn't be the case with the new hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

nerd69 wrote: »
    That was a spell put on by oden in the first Thor so wouldn't be the case with the new hammer

Although according to Thor wielding Stormbreaker would destroy an ordinary mortals brain, which I gather is more in keeping with the comics.

Suppose Groot was worthy, he went from being a spoiled teenager to scarifying his arm to make the handle, so that was his good deed.

I always thought Groot could have been involved in a few good scenes with Thanos, if for example Thanos used the time stone on the other characters causing them to age and turn to dust but with Groot either he would just become huge as he continues to grow or he would create an entire forest of groots.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,952 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Do you think, just maybe, you're over thinking about the whole thing?

flazio wrote: »

Your posting in a discussion forum about a comic book film... talking nonsense about theories is kinda the point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Copied the below piece from football365, the bitter anti England brigade should have a read and take a good look in the mirror.

Football365:

The ‘it’s coming home’ meme has been appropriated by every media giant and social media account in the name of content, but its re-emergence has a deeper context than simply having a laugh. At no point did people actually think England would win this World Cup, but singing that song acted as a reminder of a golden time to support the national team, before disappointment became the norm.

It reflects not an expectation of glorious triumph, therefore, but of enjoying the journey. World Cup years are the best years, when football never stops and excitement never sleeps. We have been forced to enjoy too many of them without the England team giving the population much reason for cheer.

Then, just as expectations had sunk lower and an entire World Cup was being viewed as a stepping stone to success further down the line, real hope sprang eternal in the present. Gareth Southgate created a young-ish, inexperienced squad that believed in itself and persuaded us to believe in them. They pulled us in rather than us demanding they meet our dreams.

‘It’s coming home’ represents that optimism, the desire to have the time of your life and enjoy every minute because this can never last forever. And yet, inexplicably, it has lasted longer than any other World Cup since 1990.

Does the optimism inspire the performances or the performances inspire the optimism? Neither, I’d say. Instead, this is a glorious mix of the two, when England players are basking in making supporters happy and supporters are basking in something to feel happy about. The fans and their heroes are in a glorious symbiotic relationship where both fuel the happiness of each other and have fuelled this run.

Watch the video of Eric Dier being shown the street parties provoked by his penalty winner against Colombia. Watch Harry Kane in his kit still signing autographs an hour after the final whistle has blown. That’s what ‘it’s coming home’ is about.

Welcome to Boards.ie. I'm guessing thread navigation isn't a super power of yours. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Quartz Kitchen

Welcome to Boards.ie. I'm guessing thread navigation isn't a super power of yours. :p

It's my kryptonite

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

flazio wrote: »

Or maybe you're not thinking about it enough!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't have much time for reddit, but had to laugh all the same: the subreddit r/ThanosDidNothingWrong, where folks play devils advocate to justify Thanos' plan, decided to randomly ban 50% of its users. Apparently the membership numbered ~700,000 before the 'snap' occurred, and the mass-ban counts as the largest in Reddit history :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Well. That. That was a sh|te cliffhanger.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

the_syco wrote: »
    Well. That. That was a sh|te cliffhanger.

How so..... and how would you have preferred it to have ended?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Davan

Something about describing the footage in text puts me off.

Loughc wrote: »
    How so..... and how would you have preferred it to have ended?
    if he was able to finish; fucker :pac:

I dislike cliffhanger series enders. Doing so in a film; like this less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

But Thanos accomplished what he had set out to do, get the remaining Infinity Stones, put them in the gauntlet, snap the finger and hey presto. All life in the universe, perfectly balanced, as it should be.

Not really a cliff hanger ending.

Unless your talking about the after credits scene..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    But Thanos accomplished what he had set out to do, get the remaining Infinity Stones, put them in the gauntlet, snap the finger and hey presto. All life in the universe, perfectly balanced, as it should be.

Not really a cliff hanger ending.

Agreed. It's Thanos' film really. It's about his quest to get the stones and complete his life's work. There's more development for him in the movie than anyone else, and it focuses heavily on him. That's why it ends on him.

It's not a cliffhanger ending. It's just a case that the antagonist of the movie won, even though the main character in the film was the antagonist (unlike Empire Strikes Back where the bad guys win but the film was focused on the protagonists).

It does of course lead into the next Avenger's movie and will likely be all undone in some way, but it's still a singular movie with an ending, because the movie is more so about Thanos, not the Avengers

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Yup. SLJ was cut short.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

It is a strange film. As always a lot of items and sense goes out the window.
    why does Dr. Strange not teleport Thanos into a sun. Why didn't iron man use a tranq dart on star-lord as his first suit had them, why does Thor actually need the hammer?

It was a good film but lazy writing for me ruins things.

why does Dr. Strange not teleport Thanos into a sun.

He has the space and power stones so there's no particular difficulty in imagining that not posing a threat to him.
    Why didn't iron man use a tranq dart on star-lord as his first suit had them,

It happened very quickly and he was kinda busy.
    why does Thor actually need the hammer?

Well he gets kicked around easily enough without it. With the axe he can cut through Thanos like a hot knife through butter.
    It's like asking why a strong man is more dangerous if you give him a sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,238 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I'm not too well up on the whole Marvel universe , but have seen all the films at this stage. Got to finally see this last night, and think it's the best film since the first Iron Man or the Winters Soldier. Great film. I presume this is not the last we have seen of Thanos ? and there will be an Infinity War 2 ?

2smiggy wrote: »
    I'm not too well up on the whole Marvel universe , but have seen all the films at this stage. Got to finally see this last night, and think it's the best film since the first Iron Man or the Winters Soldier. Great film. I presume this is not the last we have seen of Thanos ? and there will be an Infinity War 2 ?

It'd be interesting to see an extended MCU of post-snap dystopia, but they've a few more films that feed into this plotline, before resolving it. I haven't seen Ant-Man 2 but the main one is Captain Marvel, early next year, before IW part 2, or whatever they call it, comes out in the Spring, which will probably resolve everything disappointingly neatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I watched it again last night, even though I could remember pretty much all of the major details, the pacing was spot on and I felt a similar suspense throughout and f**k ya moment when Thor comes through the Bifrost to Wakanda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I watched it again last night, even though I could remember pretty much all of the major details, the pacing was spot on and I felt a similar suspense throughout and f**k ya moment when Thor comes through the Bifrost to Wakanda.

One of my favourite parts of the film.
    Here, let me show you how powerful a god actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Agreed.

This and the first avengers movies were both differently epic in a great way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've watched this several times now. It's honestly the first of the MCU movies that made me want to go back to the cinema to see it multiple times.

The outstanding character in all this is Thor. A lot of the characters have pretty much seen their best day, Cap is tired and feels old, Tony is all but ready to quit and the rest of gotten a bit stale.

Thor's entrance for this scene has given me chills each time I see it. We're finally seeing the power of a God in the MCU and not just some bloke with electricity.

The worst part is that I have to admit that when Hemsworth was first cast I absolutely dismissed him for the role but he has absolutely smashed the role. He's a great mix of charming, intimidating and that scene with Rocket was both incredibly funny and also really depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I've watched this several times now. It's honestly the first of the MCU movies that made me want to go back to the cinema to see it multiple times.

The outstanding character in all this is Thor. A lot of the characters have pretty much seen their best day, Cap is tired and feels old, Tony is all but ready to quit and the rest of gotten a bit stale.

Thor's entrance for this scene has given me chills each time I see it. We're finally seeing the power of a God in the MCU and not just some bloke with electricity.

The worst part is that I have to admit that when Hemsworth was first cast I absolutely dismissed him for the role but he has absolutely smashed the role. He's a great mix of charming, intimidating and that scene with Rocket was both incredibly funny and also really depressing.

Agree bout Thor and Hemsworth. Hes just gotten better and better. I loved his interation with the kind sweet rabbit.

I disagree about the Cap I love that hes lurking in the shadows when hes introduced. His character has completely transformed from a goodie two shoes to a rogue hero. True to his character on one level in doing what he think is the right thing to do, but not blindly following those in charge. He needed his old Shileld (WTF was that crap he got?).

I wonder where they are going to go with Hulk. A total 180 with that character going from warrior champ in Ragnorak to frightened to come out in Infinity.

From some of the photos it looks like they might
    go back to the Avengers time period for the next movie.
    Anybdoy see the pics of Captain america
    in his older suit?

Advertisement