Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avengers Infinity War **spoilers from post 572**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya, it looks like what they need is a new gauntlet to be forged to fit someone that wont die when its used, Thor or Hulk, or maybe Captain Marvel.

They then have to get the stones from Thanos and his wrecked gauntlet, which looks like it cant harness the power of the stones any more so in effect, hes just a big bad ass without power and dodgy glove. :o

It will be a very interesting film to see how the wrap it all up anyway, I hope they dont ruin it after giving us a great first act.

I think Thanos can still use the gauntlet, even as wrecked as it is. After all he used the space stone to escape and some people have said you can see green sparks where Thor's axe hit him when he's doing so indicating that he used the Time stone to heal himself. But his arm is definitely still injured from it, and maybe he just can't use the stones to their full power now.

I think the shot of Cap holding the gauntlet when Thanos is trying to get to Vision is vital. Thanos had used the gauntlet and the power of the stones to swat away everyone else, but he had to use his own physical strength with Cap as Cap was holding onto the gauntlet. If Cap and Thanos are both holding onto the gauntlet at the same time, maybe the stones won't answer to Thanos, as Cap's will is as strong as his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Penn wrote: »
    I think Thanos can still use the gauntlet, even as wrecked as it is. After all he used the space stone to escape and some people have said you can see green sparks where Thor's axe hit him when he's doing so indicating that he used the Time stone to heal himself. But his arm is definitely still injured from it, and maybe he just can't use the stones to their full power now.

I think the shot of Cap holding the gauntlet when Thanos is trying to get to Vision is vital. Thanos had used the gauntlet and the power of the stones to swat away everyone else, but he had to use his own physical strength with Cap as Cap was holding onto the gauntlet. If Cap and Thanos are both holding onto the gauntlet at the same time, maybe the stones won't answer to Thanos, as Cap's will is as strong as his own.

During the fight on Titan, they instruct Cloak of Levitation to not allow Thanos to clinch his fist, maybe he needs to clinch his fist to active the stones, or concentrate their power, Cap held his fingers open when he tried to attack him on Wakanda so they could be on to something there.

I also forgot he teleported back to Titan for the sunrise after Thor got his shot in. :o

What did annoy me though is the over playing of Cap's strength, theres no way he should be able to stand up to Thanos with or without the gauntlet but I suppose they have to dial up or down peoples strength to suit the narrative at play at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I thought since Winter Soldier they were trying to emphasise more that Cap wasn't just a strong muscly dude.

The scene on the boat had him knocking people flying with kicks etc to show just how strong he actually is.

I think the scene in IW with him holding the glove was more Thanos being surprised that he didn't crumple straight away like the others, until he took that punch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Also, in Age of Ultron during the party scene, Cap was the only Avenger who came close to picking up mjolnir, the weapon wobbling briefly and much to Thor's surprise. So they've been laying the hints for a while that Steve Rogers is more than just a solder hopped up on super-serum.

edit: yup, about 3:10 into this clip...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

pixelburp wrote: »
    Also, in Age of Ultron during the party scene, Cap was the only Avenger who came close to picking up mjolnir, the weapon wobbling briefly and much to Thor's surprise. So they've been laying the hints for a while that Steve Rogers is more than just a solder hopped up on super-serum.
    That's been part of his story from the start. His origin story in the movies is all about how he's fundamentally a very decent person.

He's also lifted the hammer in the comics many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

mikhail wrote: »
    That's been part of his story from the start. His origin story in the movies is all about how he's fundamentally a very decent person.

He's also lifted the hammer in the comics many times.

Yeh, the hammer scene in TAOU is more about Cap being worthy then strong . .

Didn't Thor's dad say something like "let he who be worthy have the hammer" or something like that in Thor 1 when he cast Thor and the hammer to earth ? It sort of is odd that Cap couldn't pick it up cause who is more moral and ethical in the world then Cap who even pulls people up on cursing ?

Drumpot wrote: »

Didn't Thor's dad say something like "let he who be worthy have the hammer" or something like that in Thor 1 when he cast Thor and the hammer to earth ? It sort of is odd that Cap couldn't pick it up cause who is more moral and ethical in the world then Cap who even pulls people up on cursing ?

I think the prevalent theory is that Cap is so humble that he wouldn't consider himself to be worthy, and so his own subconscious essentially prevented him from being able to lift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Vision, apparently (although a few have done it in the comics as well - Beta Ray Bill springs to mind)!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

I thought it was quoted that the reason Cap couldn't lift the hammer was because he had lied to Tony about his parents (ie he knew that Bucky killed them as Winter Soldier) or something like that which meant he wasn't worthy at the time? I've definitely read that somewhere

I thought it was quoted that the reason Cap couldn't lift the hammer was because he had lied to Tony about his parents (ie he knew that Bucky killed them as Winter Soldier) or something like that which meant he wasn't worthy at the time? I've definitely read that somewhere

I'm not sure Cap knew Bucky killed Tony's parents at that stage though. He knew Hydra were behind it, but I don't think he found out it was Bucky likely until during the events of Civil War (eg. maybe even just on the way to the Hydra Base after the airport fight).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I more meant that ant man will show them how to go back in time and they'll go back to the battle of new York and start collecting the stones themselves and heading to nividalir to construct a new gauntlet with Tony and Cap together harnessing it's power to reverse the snap the power of it killing them both along with thanos ..that's how I've felt it's gonna go down since those set photos were leaked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I more meant that ant man will show them how to go back in time and they'll go back to the battle of new York and start collecting the stones themselves and heading to nividalir to construct a new gauntlet with Tony and Cap together harnessing it's power to reverse the snap the power of it killing them both along with thanos ..that's how I've felt it's gonna go down since those set photos were leaked

In that scenario though, there'd be no snap to reverse since Cap and Tony have the stone and the gauntlet... I hate time travel. I really hope that whatever they are doing when they go back in time (assuming that is what is happening), that it is just to set a trojan horse or some other trap that will only come into affect post-snap. If they start collecting stones or doing other big stuff like that, it effectively puts us in an alternate timeline where everything that happened in the MCU post Avengers didn't happen. That'd suck donkeyb*lls.

I don't know how they do it but I want the snap to have happened, and for the world to have been affected by it. The snap will be reversed but the impact of it (maybe even on those who were dusted) should remain. Going back in time to just stop it from ever happening would be such an empty outcome IMO. Hopefully, it'll be emphasized that the snap must happen in order for them to hatch the plan to go back in the first place, so any plan must be on how to reverse the snap AFTER it happens as opposed to preventing it from happening in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭flazio

On a lighter note, could this background artist be the Greatest Of All Time or just a goat?
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BmdnQUwgRhJ/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=xl10z7m2rnm5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Any chance that Dr Strange went back in time during his fight with Thanos, or just before, and gave Nick Fury the communicator that he turns on at the end of the film, telling him only to use it if people start turning to dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

JJayoo wrote: »
    Any chance that Dr Strange went back in time during his fight with Thanos, or just before, and gave Nick Fury the communicator that he turns on at the end of the film, telling him only to use it if people start turning to dust.

Unlikely. Fury and Shield have a prior relationship with Captain Marvel. Presumably she gave it to them before she decided to disappear for whatever reason.

Gbear wrote: »
    Unlikely. Fury and Shield have a prior relationship with Captain Marvel. Presumably she gave it to them before she decided to disappear for whatever reason.

I dunno... I think part of the plan could be that Fury was told something along the lines of "if people start turning to dust, hit send on this as fast as you can". He didn't seem surprised at what was happening and was very deliberate in his reaction to it all. He may well also have that prior relationship with Captain Marvel but I think that "pager" was part of the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Bacchus wrote: »
    I dunno... I think part of the plan could be that Fury was told something along the lines of "if people start turning to dust, hit send on this as fast as you can". He didn't seem surprised at what was happening and was very deliberate in his reaction to it all. He may well also have that prior relationship with Captain Marvel but I think that "pager" was part of the plan.

If it wasn't part of the plan then it would beg the question of why he didn't use the pager before - during the invasion of New York of during Age of Ultron.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I reckon he's paging the 90s with that as well.

If it wasn't part of the plan then it would beg the question of why he didn't use the pager before - during the invasion of New York of during Age of Ultron.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think time travel will be a big part of how they sort it

• Advertisement

I think time travel will be a big part of how they sort it

Given Strange seen some 14 million outcomes and he willingly gave up the time stone to save Stark after saying he wouldn't moments before hand, I'd say time travel will be the main theme of the next film.

No real issue with that but I do hope they dont go back and totally undo Thanos snap or its effects, hes been by far the most interesting and fearsome villain in the MCU, if they do a hard reset on the snap, every villain after Thanos will carry no believable threat at all.

Given Strange seen some 14 million outcomes and he willingly gave up the time stone to save Stark after saying he wouldn't moments before hand, I'd say time travel will be the main theme of the next film.

No real issue with that but I do hope they dont go back and totally undo Thanos snap or its effects, hes been by far the most interesting and fearsome villain in the MCU, if they do a hard reset on the snap, every villain after Thanos will carry no believable threat at all.

This might be what you mean anyway but, I fully expect (and hope) the snap is reversed. There's too many good characters to just let go like that. However, I want the event to have a lasting effect on the MCU and the characters who got dusted. One of my favourite things about the overall MCU has been Tony's journey, particularly after Avengers when he's essentially dealing with PTSD. That's the kind of impact I'd like to see followed through on with the un-dusted characters. Have that, leave the non-snap related deaths from IW dead, and throw in a couple of deaths in Avengers 4 and I think Thanos will still maintain that sense of dread and fear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Weirdly, while I can believe in a demi-god with a magic hammer and a talking space-racoon, the idea of 4 billion people being wiped from existence on Earth strains credibility - because it effectively undoes every norm of the world in a moment. I can understand a world where the Avengers operate on the fringes of the everyday, but if half the population of Earth disappeared, civilisation, power structures etc. would simply collapse. The existential and psychological damage would probably break the remaining 4 billion, it'd be hell.

So I wonder if Avengers 4 will open on a collapsed Earth, maybe even a little post-apocalyptic, only for Dr. Strange's one vision of victory to start taking shape. I hate reset buttons in narratives at the best of times, but when the worst has happened that's the only way the heroes can win - unless you own the apocalypse and run with it, and there's no way the MCU will do that IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If they go back and stop the snap then it's a full reset, but if they do a new snap to bring all the snapped people back, then that presumably doesn't save Loki, the Dwarves, or, if you think about it, all the people who were in aeroplanes that dropped out of the sky because their pilots were snapped, or indeed, anybody in the buildings they crashed into.

Half of everyone getting surgery who wasn't snapped themselves is probably dead. Loads of people next to snapped people operating heavy machinery, loads of people in factories and power plants, especially in the developing world, where they mightnt have the same passive safety systems.

Even if they can undo the snap with another, there should still be millions of people dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Gbear wrote: »
    Half of everyone getting surgery who wasn't snapped themselves is probably dead. Loads of people next to snapped people operating heavy machinery, loads of people in factories and power plants, especially in the developing world, where they mightnt have the same passive safety systems.

Even if they can undo the snap with another, there should still be millions of people dead.

Don't forget half the people working in nuclear power plants, there's bound to be meltdowns all over the world which would end up wiping out how many more of the remaining half of the population. Unless Thanos took that into consideration:pac:

Yeah, when you parse the Snappening, the secondary deaths could themselves number in the billions from all failed power plants, dams, car/bus/train/plane crashes and so on from people disappearing. If in first 30 seconds of the sequel Earth is in a post-apocalyptic state, we'll know the big reset button is being pushed.

Maybe the final act then being a re-run of the Wakanda battle, only this time certain members of the team have to make the ultimate sacrifice to ensure victory this time around.

Bacchus wrote: »
    This might be what you mean anyway but, I fully expect (and hope) the snap is reversed. There's too many good characters to just let go like that. However, I want the event to have a lasting effect on the MCU and the characters who got dusted. One of my favourite things about the overall MCU has been Tony's journey, particularly after Avengers when he's essentially dealing with PTSD. That's the kind of impact I'd like to see followed through on with the un-dusted characters. Have that, leave the non-snap related deaths from IW dead, and throw in a couple of deaths in Avengers 4 and I think Thanos will still maintain that sense of dread and fear.

Ya, I reckon this will be the outcome, nearly everyone of the Avengers that did die in the snap have sequels on the horizon so they wont be biting the bullet, certainly not Black Panther or Spiderman but the current Avengers post snap, some of them will have to die trying to undo the snap to at least strike home the threat of Thanos and I dont know about you guys but during A:IW I did genuinely fear for all the heroes as soon as Thanos easily defeated the Hulk on his own and killed off Loki within 5mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

Ya, I reckon this will be the outcome, nearly everyone of the Avengers that did die in the snap have sequels on the horizon so they wont be biting the bullet, certainly not Black Panther or Spiderman but the current Avengers post snap, some of them will have to die trying to undo the snap to at least strike home the threat of Thanos and I dont know about you guys but during A:IW I did genuinely fear for all the heroes as soon as Thanos easily defeated the Hulk on his own and killed off Loki within 5mins.

Loki is still alive he coming back avengers 4

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So going back in time will cause Mutant kind to enter the MCU ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I want to see a Rick and Morty type situation in which a few of the avengers give up on this universe and hop into another.

Advertisement