Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be ok with white Irish becoming a minority?

Options

Comments

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Yikes.

So the Professor, who is a "legal professor" according to the story, is quoting an "unidentified" source from a UK university, as claiming the Chinese will be the majority in Ireland by the middle of the century!

And it was written in 2005.

Well I willing to guess he is better educated than either you or I.

Still you only need look at the latest census to see how the Irish are becoming a minority in many areas.

36FYCLf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the pc brigade have gone and took a lot of acid or something

that would be hard seeing as they don't exist.
    Are you honestly telling me that because a man does not want to see his nation taken over by non nationals that he is racist??

is the country being "taken over" . who by?
    A man who wants to to keep the culture of his country intact and to not want to be a minority in is own country is a racist???

we are not going to be a minority in ireland. if our culture doesn't remain intact, it won't be anything to do with foreigners but ourselves (we have been destroying our heritage all of our own for decades)
    You should be ashamed to call yourself irish if that's the case and if I'm being racist for not wanting to have my history and culture destroyed then yes I am racist

it is the irish who have been destroying it's own culture and heritage, we are experts at it and we have been doing it long before foreigners came to ireland.
    They will not take over this country.....the British tried and failed miserably and unlike you there are men women who are proud to be irish and won't sit by and see our nation taken over AGAIN

who is planning on taking it over? whoever it is chances are they aren't planning on taking it over.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

BoatMad wrote: »
    err, those Protestants were also " foreign "

Nevertheless they had lived in New York for 200+ years and coul dbe regarded as native (many "native" American and African peoples have only lived in their "homelands" for a few centuries)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,235 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

freeview wrote: »

Still you only need look at the latest census to see how the are becoming a minority in many areas.

36FYCLf.jpg

well unless his education is in a relevant area then it doesnt really matter does it?
    Though it was odd that you didnt mention this bit of the article
    He added, "People are nervous about immigration. But immigration is almost always a good thing. People think immigrants come here and take jobs, but the opposite is true. They will come and create jobs."

well unless his education is in a relevant area then it doesnt really matter does it?

so he is to be believed when he says something positive about immigration but disbelieved when he mentions that this will cause us to become a minority?

oZ8aJ.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I think its more down to the reporter who wrote the story. Is a story from 2015, referring to what the esteemed professor said in 2005.

"Professor Ferdinand von Prondzynski was referring to an unidentified United Kingdom based research. Speaking at the conferring ceremony at DCU he said that the Irish in Ireland will be a minority by 2050 while the Chinese may form the largest ethnic group."
    Save

I think its more down to the reporter who wrote the story. Is a story from 2015, referring to what the esteemed professor said in 2005.

"Professor Ferdinand von Prondzynski was referring to an unidentified United Kingdom based research. Speaking at the conferring ceremony at DCU he said that the Irish in Ireland will be a minority by 2050 while the Chinese may form the largest ethnic group."
    Save

Well he still said it, and he is highly educated.

Since 2005 the facts speak for themselves.

Twelve areas in Ireland where immigrants are more than 50% of the population.

36FYCLf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭rgossip30

That still requires immigration control against abuse . I think likely that those Irish who live in those areas it would matter .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Well he still said it, and he is highly educated.

Since 2005 the facts speak for themselves.

Twelve areas in Ireland where immigrants are more than 50% of the population.

36FYCLf.jpg

They could still have been born in Ireland

snowflaker wrote: »
    They could still have been born in Ireland

I think you missed the part where it said " Born outside the state".

• Advertisement

freeview wrote: »
    so he is to be believed when he says something positive about immigration but disbelieved when he mentions that this will cause us to become a minority?

oZ8aJ.gif

no just pointing out that you never bothered to read past the headline of your own link

rgossip30 wrote: »
    That still requires immigration control against abuse . I think likely that those who live in those areas it would matter .

no idea why you quoted my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,933 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Save

What?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nope. a) the "Celts" is a very braid description of different cultures from different places and b) it was far more a cultural change than a population one.

Didn't happen.

What?

What the actual fuck? The white man's culture must be eliminated eh? And what do you suggest it gets replaced by? This should be good. The level of self hate among some is beyond comprehension to me.

Tongue in cheek init bruv

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭Sand

who is planning on taking it over? whoever it is chances are they aren't planning on taking it over.

There is no plan. That's the issue.

There is an open borders movement who will never explain or define their preferred end state because they know how unpopular it would be. There are millions of people illegally migrating to western Europe at an ever increasing rate. There is a public who, whenever they are asked, make it clear they are overwhelmingly opposed to mass migration and open borders. There is a political class who have for decades consistently been surprised by mass migration, underestimated migrants efforts to remain, overestimated Europe's ability to integrate them and has never planned for them.

So it's fairly safe to say, there is no plan. A bad outcome does not require a plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I think you missed the part where it said " Born outside the state".

The state does not include Northen Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Would you like the world to be $78 trillion richer?

If the answer is yes, then support open borders.
    If borders were open
    A world of free movement would be $78 trillion richer

Yes, it would be disruptive. But the potential gains are so vast that objectors could be bribed to let it happen

https://www.economist.com/news/world-if/21724907-yes-it-would-be-disruptive-potential-gains-are-so-vast-objectors-could-be-bribed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sand wrote: »
    There is no plan. That's the issue.

There is an open borders movement who will never explain or define their preferred end state because they know how unpopular it would be. There are millions of people illegally migrating to western Europe at an ever increasing rate. There is a public who, whenever they are asked, make it clear they are overwhelmingly opposed to mass migration and open borders. There is a political class who have for decades consistently been surprised by mass migration, underestimated migrants efforts to remain, overestimated Europe's ability to integrate them and has never planned for them.

So it's fairly safe to say, there is no plan. A bad outcome does not require a plan.
    Oh I'm sure there's no plan/conspiracy S, but I would feel that there are ulterior motives driven by some vested interests. And I'm not talking about the "liberals/lefties" or whatever names are being bandied about. As I opined on another tread on the matter as I see it when otherwise opposing positions like libertarian types and marxist types agree that open borders are a good thing then it's likely a very bad thing indeed for someone, or many someones.

Again for me I find it difficult to be angry at the "liberals/lefties/whatever", because their position is (usually)coming from a general notion of we're all equal and fairness for all. Come you tired and huddled masses and we shall help you. Which is bloody laudable especially when set against the"right/market forces" types which is far more about "I'm all right jack, I worked to get where I am, get away from my stuff!". For me it's a very naive worldview(which is appealing in of itself) and one that the middle class media types of the bred will not have to deal with.

My go to position when something is being seemingly foisted from above is always follow the money. What does open borders mean for the money?

Influx of young labour, labour that will be cheaper than local. OK, if cynical and that might have played out in the past, before anything above a shelf stacker in Tesco required a Masters degree. The problem these days is labouring as a job is limited in scope in the western world. The problem is the majority of these current migrants won't have skills that will translate to the first word. So then we're into more social welfare, which for the majority of those being rescued/taxied into the EU from boats in the Med will be in receipt of.

More consumers. Self evident.

The chipping away of the idea of social welfare. One can either have open borders or social welfare, one can't have both. Not at much beyond food stamps level. Lower social welfare means more anxiety among the workforce(and no I'm not talking about the work shy), who will work for less, especially in the face of competition from people who think a bowl a rice a day is a wage. Great if you're running the factories, shite if you're trying to work in them.

Open borders for people tends to lead to one borders for money and assets. Again self evidently a good thing if you have money and assets you want to shift.

As for possible demographic shifts like the subject of this thread? The Right On media Killiney set don't care about that and the "money" certainly doesn't care about that as both are insulated from the worst of whatever happens. Perpetually isolated from TV reports of ghettos and unrest.

There has been a drive towards a more global approach since the end of the second world war and especially since the end of the Cold War and for obvious and again laudable reasons. If countries are moving people and cash around they're less likely to kick off a war. Though it would be my opinion that a backlash towards this global approach is simmering and heating up with it, certainly at a grass roots level* and IMHO it won't take much for it to tip over into the political and a new found, or resurrection of the lean towards nation states is in the mix.

*look at the survey results on this thread. It's a tiny part of the country and interwebs at large and given the general demographics of Boards.ie, which does tend to be(contrary to popular) centre with some left leanings and mostly younger folks, I would bet the farm in a more countrywide ballot the difference would be starker again. Even if people would be cautious about publicly saying so.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Wibbs wrote: »
    My go to position when something is being seemingly foisted from above is always follow the money. What does open borders mean for the money?

According to this article, it means an increase in global wealth of $78 trillion.

https://www.economist.com/news/world-if/21724907-yes-it-would-be-disruptive-potential-gains-are-so-vast-objectors-could-be-bribed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Still you only need look at the latest census to see how the Irish are becoming a minority in many areas.

36FYCLf.jpg
    The "Irish will become a minority in their own country" part is not my takeaway from that. That's a red herring and panicked, even paranoid hyperbole. What is my takeaway is the ghettoisation we have seen repeated across the European continent(often simplistically blamed on past imperialism and/or racism) is already coming home to roost locally. And as we've seen such geographical demographics never work out in the positive in the long term.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Look at the source. Look at the thinking behind it. Never mind that in the vast majority of cases economists are only accurate in retrospect. They're soothsayers in reverse gear. If they could divine the future they would consistently predict outcomes(and be as wealthy as Croesus), but they don't and few are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I wonder has the $78Tn factored in increased consumption, carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, how the wealth would be distributed, pressure on services, and so on? Probably not. The term 'think tank' is all too often a euphemism for 'propaganda disseminator'.

I'd say a regular ol' punter like me with a bit of interest in such things could cast many aspersions on this study if I could be bothered.

Well this has not yet happened in Sweden so I am still on the fence .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

And who will see the majority of this wealth?

It won't be you or I - but the usual 1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

And?

Ah that was just me having a bit of fun. :D
    RayM wrote: »
    Those who are particularly preoccupied with it, and think it's a huge issue, are racists, yes. But on the other hand... if there were no other races, they'd no doubt find some other group to obsessively hate. So maybe they're not true racists. Maybe they're just horrible, angry people.

Well the question of who we are is a fairly big one. It doesn't make much sense to be overly preoccupied about it, as there is only so much you can do to affect your society. However, an individual can do much less to affect climate change, but that doesn't mean it necessarily makes sense to simply ignore it (granted climate change is a more serious question, but it is also much further down the line before it makes any negative impact upon people living in Ireland). It isn't reasonable to be 'hateful', but instead pragmatic. It makes as much sense to be hating on any individual people, in terms of demographic changes in Europe, as it would (in relation to climate change) to rant about the United Arab Emirates due to their enormous carbon footprint (because either would be missing the bigger picture).

The fact that honestly there has been no serious negative aspects to immigration in Ireland to date is something to be lauded, but it is not proof that we shouldn't be mindful going forward. Measuring the success of integration by number of terrorist atrocities is like measuring restaurant hygiene by number of people who die from food poisoning. Indeed, looking at our European neighbors, such as France, England and Germany should give us some pause. Much of the societal problems those countries are now facing in their cities are entirely of their own creation: caused mainly by colonial entanglements, greed, the desire to look progressive, or some combination of the three. For instance Germany's large Turkish population was due to the desire to have cheap unskilled labor, with the assumption that these workers would return 'home' once construction projects were completed, not thinking that people who have left everything behind and have started families in their host country would not see that as their 'home'. This shortsighted policy has resulted in large multi-generational communities in Germany who view themselves as Turkish first, and German a distant second. Germany sought to compound their mistake last year by importing a million migrants. Good luck with that.

It's an issue that people are inclined to get worked up about, after all, countless wars have been caused because of it. But as part of the worthwhile ambition to encourage people to be rational, and not worked up, we should also not behave as if one side has some sort of monopoly on being worked up. Joey.

I can't remember the last time I saw a habit wearing nun - thank God. And yes, the "don't let women show their hair" (or anything else that could be associated with sexuality or attractiveness) is a typical aspect of extreme conservative ideologies like the Catholic Church in Ireland was. Yet even with all that, face-covering was never as aspect of garb in the Catholic Church in Ireland (and women, outside of those who were "married to Jesus", were only policed in terms of ostentatiously "sexy" attire).

Also everything that Wibbs said. Just for completeness, Niqab is the half-way house between Burka and Hijab (can show eyes, but nothing else). I've seen some of those in the capital, but I think I've only once seen a Burka in Ireland (possibly because the Taliban don't control much territory here).

I've seen several in my nearest large town. In each case, these women were pushing buggies (often twin buggies), and carrying several bags of shopping, while walking several steps behind their western suited husbands.

It made me want to tell the men to man up, and show a little respect for their wives, rather than treating them like bests of burden, tbh.
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    I'm Irish , I speak Irish , but I'm not white.

I find white Irish people as a whole a little ignorant, also I read some studies that found white Irish people not as intelligent as their European counterparts, either way it doesn't bother me but I feel it couldn't do any harm either.

That's a rather racist statement, tbh - and one that wouldn't be tolerated about any other Nationality.

Also, do you consider yourself to be a little ignorant, since you define yourself as Irish, but not white Irish?
    Or is it only the white Irish who you consider to be a little ignorant?
    Overall since 1991, Ireland has had net inward migration, even taking into account the period between 2009 and 2015 when there was net outward migration.

However, the total net outward migration from 2009 to 2015 wasn't enough to counteract the net inward migration from 1991 to 2008 and since 2015.

Basically Ireland has been a net recipient of people, most of them non-Irish, since 1991.

It proves that Ireland is a successful country, which is attractive enough to people of other nationalities to convince them to upend their lives and move to Ireland.

Moving from your home country to another country is still a very big deal and still comparatively rare - only about 3.5% of the world's population lives in countries other than the countries of their birth.

The fact that Ireland has about four times this percentage simply proves how much more attractive it is as a destination for other people than most countries in the world - a sure sign of successful country.

This is something to celebrate, not something to be upset about. :D

Is it? Because I've spoken to several non-European Immigrants, and the reason they gave for moving to Ireland was that our Immigration laws weren't as strict as the UK, or other European Countries.
    Hasschu wrote: »
    Insularity was a word associated with the British but it applies also to the Irish. There are people in Ireland who are seeing foreigners for the first time in their lives. I have been up the Niger and Congo rivers where little children ran screaming to their mothers when I came into sight. Something similar is going on in Ireland with some adults. Over time with more exposure they will not feel so threatened. Small towns not within commuting distance of sizeable cities are in decline in the developed world. Saskatchewan and Manitoba in Canada have been losing small towns since the 1950s'. This was due to farms increasing in size from 160 acres to thousands of acres resulting in a huge drop in the rural population. Cities grew as a result of services and manufacturing and the influx of workers. I have seen groups campaigning for the entry of French speaking refugees from republic of Congo to small towns on the basis it would stop the decline in population. You will see more of this in Ireland and it will be promoted by community leaders and businesses to avoid property depreciation and loss of businesses.
    The FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) factor is what the racists spread everywhere. Ireland is not exceptional in its anxiety about change but change we will, because TINA. Of course the birth rate could be increased but then the Gov't would have to pay maternity and childcare costs until the children enter full time primary school. Can you see TDs and their funders opting for the tax increase required.

That's assuming that Immigrants don't have children. Which is utterly, and demonstrably, incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Your political masters and the intelligentsia have decided that mass uncontrolled immigration and laissez faire multiculturalism is good for you. Now get back to your cycle of toil and consumption, tuck your tail between your legs, keep your misgivings to yourself and accept the approved doctrine or you will be sent for reprogramming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

36FYCLf.jpg

Yup. And two of those "Non Irish" are my two children, both born outside the state (in the UK) but who have lived here since infancy when their two Irish born (and very white, nay pasty-faced) parents returned from some years as immigrants.

I think with respect, you need to go back and read the story of King Canute, a wise old Danish immigrant to England back in the 10th or 11th century who demonstrated that even someone such as he who wielded supreme executive power was powerless in some things. Such as turning back the tide.

Mankind is a migratory species. You can't change that. You just have to manage the process amicably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And in the meantime, let's spend Irish tax payer money on the Algerian-born man who was charged with terrorism offences in a federal court in Philadelphia on Friday. Irish embassy officials in America are providing consular assistance at the moment.

Or how about prioritising healthcare concerns e.g. instead of flying a doctor to Egypt to make sure Ibrahim Halawa's 500 day hunger strike is not having an adverse affect him, how about flying a specialist down to Waterford or Limerick and do something about the long waiting lists that children have to endure for scoliosis treatment?

The new liberal Ireland is a strange place.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/senators-seek-expanded-family-reunification-rights-for-refugees-1.3160124

One has to wonder whats next .Do voters matter anymore .The grandparents can come too . Pension time bomb and housing is that just a myth ?

Advertisement