Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Marketing my behind. None of what he is doing at the moment is marketing and people are deluded by him and throwing this out as the reason for his behavior. He is acting like an idiot, or maybe he isn’t, maybe he just is an idiot.

The shock horror of a speeding fine!!

Throw away the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

rustynutz wrote: »
    W

What mitigating evidence did he provide? He pleaded guilty and apologised according to the reports I heard

He said that he tried to send it the fixed notice form, but it was rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

rustynutz wrote: »
    He's still making the headlines, and sponsors love headlines. No such thing as bad publicity as they say. This has to be the most active thread on boards, just when its about to die down, he does something else and everyone is talking about him again. I'm not saying everything he does is on purpose, but he has a knack for dragging the story out, like the kinehan link, to keep everyone talking.

And for the record, I think he is acting like a dick, and wouldn't be a big fan, but you have to give credit where it is due. His flair for marketing himself is the reason he has over 100 million in the bank, not his fighting skills, good luck to him I say.

It’s all an act, it’s all marketing, it’s all for show. It sells PPVs. The McNuthuggers are seriously deluded if they think this is Marketing 101. Hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

The shock horror of a speeding fine!!

Throw away the key.

I’m not referring to a speeding fine. That in isolation is no big deal. But how he acts before during and after the case, alleged reports of pub brawls, invading the cage at an event in which he has no direct involvement...etc are examples of someone losing the run of themselves, rather than an orchestrated marketing campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

CatFromHue wrote:
    On that bit of road the speed limit is 100Km/h.

CatFromHue wrote:
    I'm not sure what the issue is here.

CatFromHue wrote:
    Doing 110 is pushing it, 120 a bit risky, 150 is taking the piss.

CatFromHue wrote:
    You may be able to do whatever you want on the Autobahn but Lufthansa being on the N7 don't make it the Autobahn.

Was it not a dual carriage-way/motor
    150 is nothing on those roads

• Registered Users Posts: 19,127 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Oh ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rob316 wrote: »
    Is actually love to see it too but they would have to pay him a ton of money to make that cut and don't think him or john has any interest in it.
    It would be happening at LW not FW imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gas man, would be funnier if he had a fight lined up.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/937366938032005122

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Gas man, would be funnier if he had a fight lined up.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/937366938032005122

I think Max would Maul Conor now. He was like 21 when they first fought and only starting his career, I know Conor has improved also but if it went past the second Conor would gas out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think Max would Maul Conor now. He was like 21 when they first fought and only starting his career, I know Conor has improved also but if it went past the second Conor would gas out

Like he gassed in the first fight after 2 rounds on 1 leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Lukker- wrote: »
    Like he gassed in the first fight after 2 rounds on 1 leg.

He actually gassed in the first fight before he hurt his knee, he was very flat at the start of round 2 but obviously showed amazing heart to finish the fight after he mangled his knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭rob316

gwan max call him out this could be the next big fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

rob316 wrote: »
    gwan max call him out this could be the next big fight.

He did already. McGregor wont ever fight at 145 again. Dosnt need to go through the huge weight cut. Hes got the name and cash now.

(if he ever fights again at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I don’t know how long Max will stay at FW tbh. Don’t see him getting past top 5 at LW though

Lukker- wrote: »
    I don’t know how long Max will stay at FW tbh. Don’t see him getting past top 5 at LW though

155 might suit him too. Hes got great cardio and a good reach at 5ft 11. He looks very trim at 145.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Wonder where he flew to this evening, hopefully to sort out his next fight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

He's in London.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Autochange wrote: »
    155 might suit him too. Hes got great cardio and a good reach at 5ft 11. He looks very trim at 145.

Holloway actually has a tiny reach for his height (69") and was giving up 5" in reach to Conor, which is partly why Conor dominated him when the contest was standing. Max's jab was constantly falling short because Conor's distance management is so good.

He tends to struggle when giving up a reach advantage. He's 5-2 in the UFC against longer reach opponents (with 3 finishes, losses to Conor/Dustin). In contrast he's 10-1 in the UFC against opponents with a shorter reach (with 6 finishes, 5 by TKO, 1 loss to Bermudez).

It's not breaking any news but even elite fighters have a hard time giving up a significant reach advantage.

For that reason I think he would struggle at lightweight because other than Alvarez, Gaethje and Khabib (all brilliant wrestlers), he is giving up huge amounts in reach to nearly all of the top 10 - 8" to Kevin Lee, 7" to Ferguson & Diaz, 6" to Chiesa & Barbosa, 5" to Conor. The last time Max fought an All-American wrestler (Bermudez) he was dumped on his head and taken down repeatedly (4 completed takedowns), so even the lightweights with a similar reach have a huge wrestling advantage.

That's another way of saying Frankie could maul him before he even considers 155lbs.

I think people forget how thoroughly dominant Conor was in that fight with Holloway before the injury. Not quite a 10-8 round but as big a 10-9 round as you could hope for. He was laughing off any punch Max landed and showboating for half of the first round throwing hook kicks, wheel kicks, flying switch-kicks, leaping left hooks, corkscrew uppercuts, spinning back-kicks. It was so dominant he even threw in some sort of cartwheel/imanari roll type thing at the end of the round.

Joe Rogan at one point did his usual catchphrase when he senses the end is near - "Max is in trouble".

He can't improve the length of his arms and that's going to be a problem if lightweight is on the agenda for him in the future and, unless his own arms have shrunk, Conor would make it look ridiculously easy again.

If nothing else, the performances lately from Holloway, Alvarez and Poirier are a reminder Conor was pretty good at MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭weareallmarks

Some McGregor analysis from The Couch Pundit
    https://thedailyclothesline.blog/2017/12/04/mcgregor-new-normal-loyalty-and-dichotomy/

Mod: We have a Conor McGregor thread..no need to be posting in the other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Holloway actually has a tiny reach for his height (69") and was giving up 5" in reach to Conor, which is partly why Conor dominated him when the contest was standing. Max's jab was constantly falling short because Conor's distance management is so good.

He tends to struggle when giving up a reach advantage. He's 5-2 in the UFC against longer reach opponents (with 3 finishes, losses to Conor/Dustin). In contrast he's 10-1 in the UFC against opponents with a shorter reach (with 6 finishes, 5 by TKO, 1 loss to Bermudez).

It's not breaking any news but even elite fighters have a hard time giving up a significant reach advantage.

For that reason I think he would struggle at lightweight because other than Alvarez, Gaethje and Khabib (all brilliant wrestlers), he is giving up huge amounts in reach to nearly all of the top 10 - 8" to Kevin Lee, 7" to Ferguson & Diaz, 6" to Chiesa & Barbosa, 5" to Conor. The last time Max fought an All-American wrestler (Bermudez) he was dumped on his head and taken down repeatedly (4 completed takedowns), so even the lightweights with a similar reach have a huge wrestling advantage.

That's another way of saying Frankie could maul him before he even considers 155lbs.

I think people forget how thoroughly dominant Conor was in that fight with Holloway before the injury. Not quite a 10-8 round but as big a 10-9 round as you could hope for. He was laughing off any punch Max landed and showboating for half of the first round throwing hook kicks, wheel kicks, flying switch-kicks, leaping left hooks, corkscrew uppercuts, spinning back-kicks. It was so dominant he even threw in some sort of cartwheel/imanari roll type thing at the end of the round.

Joe Rogan at one point did his usual catchphrase when he senses the end is near - "Max is in trouble".

He can't improve the length of his arms and that's going to be a problem if lightweight is on the agenda for him in the future and, unless his own arms have shrunk, Conor would make it look ridiculously easy again.

If nothing else, the performances lately from Holloway, Alvarez and Poirier are a reminder Conor was pretty good at MMA.

In fairness, Holloway is probably the most improved fighter in the UFC right now, so while these comparisons are good to remember, I don't see them as relevant.

Granted, i don't think he is in a rush to go to 155, he seems quite happy at 145.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,571 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gintonious wrote: »
    Granted, i don't think he is in a rush to go to 155, he seems quite happy at 145.

Still some good fights for him there. Zombie, Edgar, Ortega, Rodriguez, Mendes. Could step up to 155 easy enough at 5ft 11. Especially as he gets older with the cut to 145. Difficult to maintain 10.5 stone at 5 ft 11.

Good point about the reach above into LW but remember his last loss was to McGregor over 4 years ago and hes won 12 in a row. All but 1 had a bigger reach, which was Corassani.

The Nal wrote: »
    Still some good fights for him there. Zombie, Edgar, Ortega, Rodriguez, Mendes. Could step up to 155 easy enough at 5ft 11. Especially as he gets older with the cut to 145. Difficult to maintain 10.5 stone at 5 ft 11.

Good point about the reach above into LW but remember his last loss was to McGregor over 4 years ago and hes won 12 in a row. All but 1 had a bigger reach, which was Corassani.

Reach counts for nothing if you can't/don't use it correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Gintonious wrote: »
    In fairness, Holloway is probably the most improved fighter in the UFC right now, so while these comparisons are good to remember, I don't see them as relevant.

What was the key weapon he used to defeat Aldo twice?

The jab. It was finding a home consistently, which allowed him to get in close to land punishing body shots.

When he fought guys with a much longer reach, like Conor or more recently Cole Miller in 2015, he couldn't mount any offence behind the jab. If you watch the Miller fight, the amount of punches that fell short early on was incredible. Brian Stann was emphasising he was struggling to deal with Cole's reach and use of distance. Any time Max did get into the pocket it was either after eating a shot coming in or coming in behind kicks and, when it did get in tight, Cole was able to sweep him after going for a scissor leg lock too but couldn't keep him down.

Ultimately, how he defeated Miller was kickboxing his way into range and a willingness to eat Cole's best shots. By the 3rd round he was willing to simply walk through his punches and even then 2 Judges saw it 29-28. That's fine against Cole Miller who is pillow-fisted but try do that against Tony Ferguson or Nate Diaz in the 3rd round?

Whereas when he fights guys with a similar reach he is able to get the jab pumping, like in the Aldo fights, and overwhelms them with combinations and flurries of body work coming behind it. His body shots against Aldo and Pettis are honestly among the best ever seen in the UFC.

Fighters can easily overcome having a tiny reach in their divisions but if you take a look at some notable examples who have been number 1 contender or champion, there's a clear trend:

Henry Cejudo - 64"
    Cody Garbrandt - 65"
    Chad Mendes - 66"
    Frankie Edgar - 68" (155lbs)
    Johny Hendricks - 69"
    Yoel Romero - 73"
    Daniel Cormier - 72"
    Fabricio Werdum - 77"

Mendes and Garbrandt have a below average flyweight reach. Frankie had a below-average featherweight reach while fighting at lightweight. Hendricks has an average featherweight reach. Romero and DC have a below average lightweight reach.

They were all able to overcome their reach disadvantages largely because of their offensive wrestling. With the exception of Werdum, everyone on that list was either a State-Champion wrestler, an All-American wrestler or an Olympic wrestler and Werdum obviously brought enormous BJJ credentials.

I agree Max has made huge improvements but to fight at lightweight he will still have to try close an incredible amount of distance against most opponents and he doesn't have the threat of offensive wrestling to keep their minds occupied.

How would he beat Kevin Lee, for example? Lee is a brilliant wrestler with a monstrous 77" reach and solid Mayweather-gym-coached boxing fundamentals. How does Max get on the inside to do work? It won't be behind a jab that's for sure, and I really don't think he can kickbox into range against such a good wrestler. He'd probably have to be willing to get into an absolute war, taking damage while coming in.

I'm not trying to do Max down. He's a brilliant fighter and a great guy but he's talking about going to lightweight and welterweight at some stage. Conor was ridiculed for similar comments and at least Conor has a relatively big frame and a normal welterweight reach.

Honestly I don't see who Max can beat in the top 5 at 155lbs or 170lbs in the near (or far) future. Maybe Gaethje and RDA in complete wars but I'm sceptical.

All that being said, I'd watch him fight anyone, so if it's what he wants to do then I hope he does well :)

What was the key weapon he used to defeat Aldo twice?

The jab. It was finding a home consistently, which allowed him to get in close to land punishing body shots.

When he fought guys with a much longer reach, like Conor or more recently Cole Miller in 2015, he couldn't mount any offence behind the jab. If you watch the Miller fight, the amount of punches that fell short early on was incredible. Brian Stann was emphasising he was struggling to deal with Cole's reach and use of distance. Any time Max did get into the pocket it was either after eating a shot coming in or coming in behind kicks and, when it did get in tight, Cole was able to sweep him after going for a scissor leg lock too but couldn't keep him down.

Ultimately, how he defeated Miller was kickboxing his way into range and a willingness to eat Cole's best shots. By the 3rd round he was willing to simply walk through his punches and even then 2 Judges saw it 29-28. That's fine against Cole Miller who is pillow-fisted but try do that against Tony Ferguson or Nate Diaz in the 3rd round?

Whereas when he fights guys with a similar reach he is able to get the jab pumping, like in the Aldo fights, and overwhelms them with combinations and flurries of body work coming behind it. His body shots against Aldo and Pettis are honestly among the best ever seen in the UFC.

Fighters can easily overcome having a tiny reach in their divisions but if you take a look at some notable examples who have been number 1 contender or champion, there's a clear trend:

Henry Cejudo - 64"
    Cody Garbrandt - 65"
    Chad Mendes - 66"
    Frankie Edgar - 68" (155lbs)
    Johny Hendricks - 69"
    Yoel Romero - 73"
    Daniel Cormier - 72"
    Fabricio Werdum - 77"

Mendes and Garbrandt have a below average flyweight reach. Frankie had a below-average featherweight reach while fighting at lightweight. Hendricks has an average featherweight reach. Romero and DC have a below average lightweight reach.

They were all able to overcome their reach disadvantages largely because of their offensive wrestling. With the exception of Werdum, everyone on that list was either a State-Champion wrestler, an All-American wrestler or an Olympic wrestler and Werdum obviously brought enormous BJJ credentials.

I agree Max has made huge improvements but to fight at lightweight he will still have to try close an incredible amount of distance against most opponents and he doesn't have the threat of offensive wrestling to keep their minds occupied.

How would he beat Kevin Lee, for example? Lee is a brilliant wrestler with a monstrous 77" reach and solid Mayweather-gym-coached boxing fundamentals. How does Max get on the inside to do work? It won't be behind a jab that's for sure, and I really don't think he can kickbox into range against such a good wrestler. He'd probably have to be willing to get into an absolute war, taking damage while coming in.

I'm not trying to do Max down. He's a brilliant fighter and a great guy but he's talking about going to lightweight and welterweight at some stage. Conor was ridiculed for similar comments and at least Conor has a relatively big frame and a normal welterweight reach.

Honestly I don't see who Max can beat in the top 5 at 155lbs or 170lbs in the near (or far) future. Maybe Gaethje and RDA in complete wars but I'm sceptical.

All that being said, I'd watch him fight anyone, so if it's what he wants to do then I hope he does well :)

He looks happy as Larry at 145lbs, plenty there to challenge him as well. 155 looks pretty rich as well in terms of potential fights on the horizon too, with or without McGregor.

Thanks for the above though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Getting very cosy with Rita Ora tonight it appears, what a guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Gamebred wrote: »
    Getting very cosy with Rita Ora tonight it appears, what a guy.

Ha, I walked past the RAH earlier and saw them all glammed up.

Whatever people's view on McGregor, the last thing anyone wants is him deciding he wants to be the new Paul Galvin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement