Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Championship gone from Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Quick question- I'm assuming you won't be able to get it on sky go??

Don't think BBC is available on skygo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Quick question- I'm assuming you won't be able to get it on sky go??

Think Sky go is only for sky channels

• Registered Users Posts: 15,835 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I've deffo seen RTE on sky go last time i was on it and i'm pretty sure channel 4 & ITV's also on there, so maybe BBC there now, i'll check it out later on if i remember!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Seve OB wrote: »
    I've deffo seen RTE on sky go last time i was on it and i'm pretty sure channel 4 & ITV's also on there, so maybe BBC there now, i'll check it out later on if i remember!

I just checked sky go on my phone and its much more than just sky channels available. No BBC, Channel 4 of ITV though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

BT Sport broadcasting the Masters is going to be horrific.

Massive blow for Sky Sports Golf if they only have live rights to 1 of the 4 majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Bt generally have terrible coverage for me in all sports dreading there coverage of golf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

BT Sport broadcasting the Masters is going to be horrific.

Massive blow for Sky Sports Golf if they only have live rights to 1 of the 4 majors.

How could sky let BT outbid them with Sky's new Golf channel just launched.

red ears wrote: »
    How could sky let BT outbid them with Sky's new Golf channel just launched.

Because Sky massively overpaid for live premier league rights to try and blow BT out of the water and they've no money left for much else now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

sky88 wrote: »
    Bt generally have terrible coverage for me in all sports dreading there coverage of golf

Agree. I follow rugby and hate their coverage!

• Advertisement

Because Sky massively overpaid for live premier league rights to try and blow BT out of the water and they've no money left for much else now.

Its only going to get worse now with the likes of the Neymar deal. 200 million. Who ultimately is going to end up paying for that and the corresponding increase in the cost of other players now a new bar has been set. Its the punters at the turnstiles and their subs for satellite broadcasts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It will be interesting to see how long Eir can hang onto the BT sports pack in Ireland. I think they have the contract for another couple of years.

You wonder where BT are getting the money from?

Saying that I read that the Aviva Premiership rugby figures are up since BT took over coverage.

It will be interesting to see how long Eir can hang onto the BT sports pack in Ireland. I think they have the contract for another couple of years.

You wonder where BT are getting the money from?

Saying that I read that the Aviva Premiership rugby figures are up since BT took over coverage.

Hopefully it's kept as part of Sky's package in Ireland so that you can access all the sports channells with the one package, the splitting of packages between different providers and having to choose between 1 or the other would be a complete disaster (from a TV watching perspective) for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

sky88 wrote:
    Viewing times. Not great coverage on the actual tv channels.

No, not great unless you have the Red Button option (which happily I do after switching to Sky last year when Virgin started playing silly buggers.)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Is the red button available in Ireland for BBC??

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There is more than four competitions a year, there coverage of the PGA tour and the European tour is unmatched.[/font]

tbayers wrote:
    Is the red button available in Ireland for BBC??

If you have a Sky dish - yes.

tbayers wrote:
    There is more than four competitions a year, there coverage of the PGA tour and the European tour is unmatched.

Agree totally but that doesn't help if they keep losing broadcast rights.

I often wonder why if these sports bodies want to maximise their audience why they don't allow a variety of TV companies to show the events and give fans a choice and completely maximise the viewership the events can get, just get rid of the whole exclusive rights idea, having non exclusive rights is still better than not being able to show it at all and it is a bit of a kick in the teeth for Sky considering they are the only broadcaster who show any real interest in golf in general.

• Advertisement

I often wonder why if these sports bodies want to maximise their audience why they don't allow a variety of TV companies to show the events and give fans a choice and completely maximise the viewership the events can get, just get rid of the whole exclusive rights idea, having non exclusive rights is still better than not being able to show it at all and it is a bit of a kick in the teeth for Sky considering they are the only broadcaster who show any real interest in golf in general.

I think they are more interested in maximising their revenue than their audience.

First Up wrote: »
    I think they are more interested in maximising their revenue than their audience.

You would think Golf of all sports doesn't need as much of the fees from broadcasters for revenue as other sports do it's the advertising/sponsorship money where golf should be making huge gains and it has a big advantage over other sports in that regard as the play is more slow paced so the ads are more noticeable so maximise the audience and sponsors can be charged more.

The bbc red button is also available on freesat.
    It just needs to be tuned in or you can do a brand new channel scan to get it. Normally it is listed as 'bbc rb1' or something similar.

Right now pictures from Radio 1 in Ibiza are being broadcast.

Frequency 10773
    Symbol rate 22000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

It's on the 'BBC Sports Website' from 18:00.

Is that available to us in Eire or is it like the iPlayer and not?

Who officially has the rights to it in Ireland. If nobody them surely streaming it is ok then?

the lawman wrote: »
    It's on the 'BBC Sports Website' from 18:00.

Is that available to us in Eire or is it like the iPlayer and not?

iPlayer is geoblocked in Ireland. There may be other ways around it but it is against boards.ie charter rules to discuss. Once you have tried to access the player once it seems to read the id of your phone and thereafter blocks any access irrespective of what other means you use.

The only English tv player available to us in Ireland seems to be Channel 4's All4 player which is chromecast enabled.

iPlayer is geoblocked in Ireland. There may be other ways around it but it is against boards.ie charter rules to discuss. Once you have tried to access the player once it seems to read the id of your phone and thereafter blocks any access irrespective of what other means you use.

The only English tv player available to us in Ireland seems to be Channel 4's All4 player which is chromecast enabled.

Thanks but you misread my question, apologies it wasn't very clear.

They mention specifically that it is on the 'BBC Sports Site' and my question is would we be geoblocked from watching videos on that site?

It does mention the iPlayer but as a separate coverage item and I know that's blocked.

the lawman wrote: »
    Thanks but you misread my question, apologies it wasn't very clear.

They mention specifically that it is on the 'BBC Sports Site' and my question is would we be geoblocked from watching videos on that site?

It does mention the iPlayer but as a separate coverage item and I know that's blocked.

Anywhere outside uk territory is normally geoblocked. The website is just another platform. But you can always check. I can't see them unblocking it just for Ireland. Tv deals mighy be in place for other countries.

Anywhere outside uk territory is normally geoblocked. The website is just another platform. But you can always check. I can't see them unblocking it just for Ireland. Tv deals mighy be in place for other countries.

I've tweeted the BBC so lets see if they reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

Using a proxy server to bypass geoblocking is NOT illegal

Advertisement