Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Championship gone from Sky

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

That seems like a pretty massive reduction.

The Sky Sports pack is €40 per month.Seems massive to be giving a reduction of 75% of this for losing one weekend of golf.

"I only re-signed up for golf and because you stated Sky was "home of all 4 majors". I pay over €100 a month for my package and now I find out you won't be showing the final major of the year. Put me through to cancellations."

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭mike2084

I wonder will separate Irish rights become available? I see that because of the Athletics World Championships most of the PGA will be on BBC Red Button, with only an hour on BBC 2 on the Thursday and Friday, which is of little use to Virgin/eir/Vodafone customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

If they're falsely advertising (saying they are home to all 4 majors) does that mean we could cancel our contract without penalty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

There seems to be very little official talk of where people can watch the PGA championship. Badly handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

mike2084 wrote: »
    I wonder will separate Irish rights become available? I see that because of the Athletics World Championships most of the PGA will be on BBC Red Button, with only an hour on BBC 2 on the Thursday and Friday, which is of little use to Virgin/eir/Vodafone customers.

It reminds me of the time when BBC N.I would come away from Sundasy afternoon golf to cover Armagh V Monaghan or something equally parochial. It was the main reason I welcomed golf moving to Sky so it is ironic to see a major going back to BBC, only to have it squeezed out by something else. At least I have the BBC Red Button option on my Sky dish.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    It reminds me of the time when BBC N.I would come away from Sundasy afternoon golf to cover Armagh V Monaghan or something equally parochial. It was the main reason I welcomed golf moving to Sky so it is ironic to see a major going back to BBC, only to have it squeezed out by something else. At least I have the BBC Red Button option on my Sky dish.

Officially the BBC have nothing to do with the republic so I wonder what plans are in place for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭irishgeo

red ears wrote: »
    Officially the BBC have nothing to do with the republic so I wonder what plans are in place for Ireland.

I doubt they care.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Tilikum wrote: »
    If they're falsely advertising (saying they are home to all 4 majors) does that mean we could cancel our contract without penalty?

I'd have a chat to sky about that, not really something we can comment on here.

You can post your question here in the "Talk To" section.

red ears wrote:

None I would imagine but at least with the Sky dish I can access their UK focused stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Do we have the red button option for BBC in ireland

• Advertisement

kenkin wrote: »
    Do we have the red button option for BBC in ireland

If you have a Sky Dish you can get it through Manual Tuning. Otherwise I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

If you have a Sky Dish you can get it through Manual Tuning. Otherwise I'm not sure.

Something tells me Sky are not going to make this easy

Is there an online link to the data needed for this?

Dbu wrote:
    Something tells me Sky are not going to make this easy

Make what easy?

If you have a Sky (or any other) dish you can tune it to the BBC Red Button frequency.

Dbu wrote:

Try googling BBC Red Button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'm talking about the PGA, of course they would (or should anyway) care they want as many viewers as possible. The reason they are leaving sky is to increase viewership.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭mike2084

Dbu wrote: »

There is a thread with an explanations of how to do this over on the Satellite forum, the frequency for the golf is actually listed as BBC Olympics 1 at 10.773H but its now called BBC RB 1 when you tune it in.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

Try googling BBC Red Button.

Thanks, very helpful

Dbu wrote:
    Thanks, very helpful

That's what I'm here for.

• Advertisement

That's what I'm here for.

You are an absolute star

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

To quote from a post on the Satellite forum:

1. Go to the "add channels" page in the services menu, and enter the following configuration:
    Frequency: 10.773
    Polarisation: H
    Symbol rate (Mbaud): 22.0
    FEC: 5/6
    Standard: DVB-S
    Modulation scheme: QPSK

2. Hit the yellow button to search for channels. This can fail sometimes so just try again. It should present a list of BBC channels, some checked and some unchecked.

3. Go down to "BBC RB1" and hit the yellow button to select it, then press select to save the changes.

4. Now go to the "Other Channels" page in the service menu. You should see "BBC RB1" (it might not be on the first page, so scroll down), then hit select to view.

Dbu wrote:
    You are an absolute star

You can always count on me to point people in the direction of the bleedin' obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

From BBC website: (not great if you don't have red button)

Coverage times (All times BST)

Thursday 10 August
    18:00-00:15 - BBC Red Button, BBC Sport website, BBC iPlayer
    23:20-00:15 - BBC Two

Friday 11 August
    18:00-00:15 - BBC Red Button, BBC Sport website, BBC iPlayer
    23:05-00:15 - BBC Two

Saturday 12 August
    19:00-00:15 - BBC Red Button, BBC Sport website, BBC iPlayer
    22:30-00:15 - BBC Two

Sunday 13 August
    19:00-00:15 - BBC Red Button, BBC Sport website, BBC iPlayer
    22:00-00:15 - BBC Two

So it looks like there is no provision for it to be legitimately broadcast in Ireland which is strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Is the pga live tour app any use over here? It says it's worldwide, might sign up as I have it downloaded anyway.

Edit: just see there is no coverage on the app. Won't be seeing this one then.

red ears wrote:
    So it looks like there is no provision for it to be legitimately broadcast in Ireland which is strange.

BBC has a number of "interactive" channels - very handy during the Olympics last year when they had simultaneous live coverage of up to ten different sports. These i channels operate all the time but they are only accessible on satellite, which is probably still a small percentage of UK viewers.

If you have a dish, no problem but otherwise you are restricted to what they put out on BBC1 and BBC2 and it is unfortunate that the PGA clashes with (and loses out to) the European Athletics this year.

You can attribute the PGA with the honorable objective of widening the viewer base but if that their objective, you would wonder why they gave it to the BBC in those circumstances. Maybe they just took the money and didn't ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

It's a very bizarre decision alright

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is the red button available on Virgin?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote:
    Is the red button available on Virgin?

As far as I know it can only be accessed through a satellite dish but you could ask them.

Advertisement