Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Championship gone from Sky

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I'm a tech dope. Once I have a sky box I should be able to get red button but it is not an option on BBC 1 or 2 for me???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice birdie from McIlroy, hoping he can get the charge going now.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Lets keep all the comments about the golf in the main thread, this thread is for how to watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭peege

AGC wrote: »
    I'm a tech dope. Once I have a sky box I should be able to get red button but it is not an option on BBC 1 or 2 for me???

You need to add the red button channels manually

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057094385/2

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Red button works on BBC1 but seemingly not on all Sky cards for some unknown reason.

• Advertisement

Dubron wrote: »
    Red button not working for me and can't seem to tune it in either, fantastic!

Follow these instructions to add the red button channels manually

peege wrote: »

Thanks but won't allow me change the frequency, it'll allow me change everything else

Thanks but won't allow me change the frequency, it'll allow me change everything else

You type in the numbers of the frequency via your remote control.

If all else fails you can view the golf live online at this address:

https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/enhanced-mediaplayer/1

Fair play Peege, got it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Is red button available in HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Is red button available in HD?

AFAIK no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Have to say - I'd take Sky's coverage over this every day, even with the ads.

Butch/Bruce/Nick etc are very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Why would any organisation want to do this to themselves.Surely you have to make it available on as many platforms as possible.The vast majority of people still use traditional TV so not having the event on traditional TV would be a quite stupid you would think.You would think that with Golf having a more mature audience would be the last sport to do something as stupid as taking it off TV.

If they did a system similar to the NFL though, they could well be on a winner so long as they know how to make the financials work out for them. I know you would be aware yourself but to explain for others while I'm assuming they (PGA) will still be using TV deals, but for example I paid €160 last week and now I get full access live to every NFL game (preseason, normal season and playoffs) live, all season - as well as access to full replays, extended highlights or brief/condensed highlights whenever I want at the touch of a button whenever I want it - as well as plenty of related programming if I get the itch for that too.

I'd imagine a good few golf fans would be very happy to have access to a similar model, could also open up things like being able to switch to any player/hole at any time during the broadcast making yourself the 'director' of sorts.

EDIT: I'm miles off, didn't see the BBC have got it!

Billy86 wrote: »
    If they did a system similar to the NFL though, they could well be on a winner so long as they know how to make the financials work out for them. I know you would be aware yourself but to explain for others while I'm assuming they (PGA) will still be using TV deals, but for example I paid €160 last week and now I get full access live to every NFL game (preseason, normal season and playoffs) live, all season - as well as access to full replays, extended highlights or brief/condensed highlights whenever I want at the touch of a button whenever I want it - as well as plenty of related programming if I get the itch for that too.

I'd imagine a good few golf fans would be very happy to have access to a similar model, could also open up things like being able to switch to any player/hole at any time during the broadcast making yourself the 'director' of sorts.

What channel is that?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    What channel is that?
    It's called NFL Gamepass - fantastic service, not exactly the cheapest at €160 for a 21 week season (excluding preseason) but so much better than paying through the hoop for Sky to show 2-3 games a week which often are far from the most appealing ones or relying on dodgy streams that go bad when the game is tight at the end: https://www.nflgamepass.com/en

Got myself a HD projector a few weeks ago, so I'm really hoping they've kept the option where you can watch four games at once via split-screen and select which you want the commentary from by clicking on it. Would work out to something like four 60" screens on this bad boy! :D

I'm not really a big fan of golf and fully get that the age demographic means not everyone would go for it, but could really see it being excellent being able to follow all four leaders for example going into the final day, or four guys struggling to make the cut earlier on, or multiple Ryder Cup games at once, etc etc. Someone also mentioned connection issues earlier, the NFL Gamepass thingy has about 6-8 different levels of quality and automatically adjusts to the best quality it can get while running smoothly as the game goes, so even if the internet acts the maggot for a few minutes out of nowhere (as mine can be prone to doing!) it just goes down to a standard definition/360p (I think) standard and immediately back to full high definition when it improves again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

callaway92 wrote: »
    Have to say - I'd take Sky's coverage over this every day, even with the ads.

Butch/Bruce/Nick etc are very good

Yeah BBC coverage is very flat and lacking energy. Ken Browne Zzzzzzzzzzzz. Peter Allis has lost his spark in old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

BBC red button working fine for me

Reception is a world apart from HD that we are used to though :(

Incidentally I have a sky box with a UK card. On my EPG channel 980 is BBC RB1. Means you can pause etc which you can't do when you go into the actual red button option.

Check out your 900 channels, it might be there.

Seve OB wrote: »
    BBC red button working fine for me

Reception is a world apart from HD that we are used to though :(

Incidentally I have a sky box with a UK card. On my EPG channel 980 is BBC RB1. Means you can pause etc which you can't do when you go into the actual red button option.

Check out your 900 channels, it might be there.

It's on the regular BBC HD channel now! No need for red button.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Just went on to facebox there for the craic to see what it was like. Why would anyone in their right mind want to watch to through this load of muck!

For anyone interested it is not on US PGA or anything, search for Give Me Sport:rolleyes:.... give me bloody strength more like :eek:

Anyway when I finally figured out how to get it, it won't work cause it needs flash player or something so I clicked the link and that won't work on the iPad. What a load of cock. Anyway great to have Peter Allis back on the tele, better now in HD. Huge difference.

TV is going backwards folks.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I didn't have an hour to myself earlier in the evening to sit down and watch but I had access to Facebook on my android phone. Perfect streaming, no issues, no adds, no filler talk, just golf. No complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Is this on tv as normal in the US or is it on Facebook there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Eric the Eagle

Is this on tv as normal in the US or is it on Facebook there too?

Yes it is on TNT for rounds 1 and 2. TNT also have early round coverage of rounds 3 and 4. CBS will be taking over the later coverage of rounds 3 and 4.

I was able to watch TNT on the Mobdro app last night and it worked out perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

So is there any way to see this in HD?  I have a sky box and will tune in BBC red button.
    I think we should count ourselves lucky we can see it at all..mind you the commentary is not great

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Yes it is on TNT for rounds 1 and 2. TNT also have early round coverage of rounds 3 and 4. CBS will be taking over the later coverage of rounds 3 and 4.

I was able to watch TNT on the Mobdro app last night and it worked out perfect.

The givemesport feed was via TNT but it crashed at least twice while I was watching, with the 2nd lasting at least 10 to 15 minutes . Lots of negative comments ensued, pretty embarrassing for the PGA.
    BBC coverage kicked off at 11.15. We didnt see a live shot for at least 6 or 7 minutes. Aliss was hopeless. Hard to believe you could make that many mistakes in 45mins worth of coverage. Highlight was Jordan Smith hitting a 3 wood into 4 feet, missing the eagle and Aliss claiming he made a par. 3 shots within 2 minutes and he cant remember them. Disaster everyway you look at it. The host wasnt much better whoever she is. Not as bad as Joanne Cant-do-well, but shes no Hazel Irvine
    Id actually sooner the US commentary tbh.

The givemesport feed was via TNT but it crashed at least twice while I was watching, with the 2nd lasting at least 10 to 15 minutes . Lots of negative comments ensued, pretty embarrassing for the PGA.
    BBC coverage kicked off at 11.15. We didnt see a live shot for at least 6 or 7 minutes. Aliss was hopeless. Hard to believe you could make that many mistakes in 45mins worth of coverage. Highlight was Jordan Smith hitting a 3 wood into 4 feet, missing the eagle and Aliss claiming he made a par. 3 shots within 2 minutes and he cant remember them. Disaster everyway you look at it. The host wasnt much better whoever she is. Not as bad as Joanne Cant-do-well, but shes no Hazel Irvine
    Id actually sooner the US commentary tbh.

I went to bed after Jordan hit that shot in and I'm not sure we knew for definatel it was his second? I did presume it was, can't believe he missed the putt!

Bang on there about the host and in fairness Hazel shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the golf either. (she retired didn't she?) They need to bring back Steve Ryder

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Eilidh Barbour is the new female face of golf for the BBC and she's pretty good. At least she is passionate about golf and deserves a chance. I enjoyed watching it on BBC red button and I hope that more tournaments come back to 'terrestrial tv' in the future.

Sky got complacent, overpriced themselves on the footy and it's coming back to haunt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Is it start time on red button again at 6.00? Any other way of watching Rory's round?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Mainly chat, but coverage on the Golf Channel now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

BBC coverage is dire.

Advertisement