Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Championship gone from Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So they're taking it off sky so that more people can see it yet the BBC are hiding it away on the red button?

Doesn't make sense.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I think like someone above, I'll use this as a bargaining tool to reduce my Sky Sports bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,306 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Is the red button available on Virgin?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Tyson Fury wrote:
    So they're taking it off sky so that more people can see it yet the BBC are hiding it away on the red button?

You could also wonder why the BBC paid for it if they didn't intend to show it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Trampas

First Up wrote: »
    You could also wonder why the BBC paid for it if they didn't intend to show it

Maybe red button is available on fta in U.K. So available to all.

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote:
    Maybe red button is available on fta in U.K. So available to all.

Only on digital platforms. Not on the old analogue service accessed by the aerial on the roof (or coat hanger.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So, have BBC said that they are definitely showing this on the Red Button?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

You can always count on me to point people in the direction of the bleedin' obvious.

Cheers Richard,
    maybe I had and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for?
    But hey an expert like you will always jump to conclusions

vienne86 wrote:
    So, have BBC said that they are definitely showing this on the Red Button?

Yes. See post #85 above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

vienne86 wrote: »
    To quote from a post on the Satellite forum:

1. Go to the "add channels" page in the services menu, and enter the following configuration:
    Frequency: 10.773
    Polarisation: H
    Symbol rate (Mbaud): 22.0
    FEC: 5/6
    Standard: DVB-S
    Modulation scheme: QPSK

2. Hit the yellow button to search for channels. This can fail sometimes so just try again. It should present a list of BBC channels, some checked and some unchecked.

3. Go down to "BBC RB1" and hit the yellow button to select it, then press select to save the changes.

4. Now go to the "Other Channels" page in the service menu. You should see "BBC RB1" (it might not be on the first page, so scroll down), then hit select to view.

Thanks. I just added it but it's saying my box is not getting a signal?

Sorry, please ignore. Working now, thanks a million.

• Advertisement

You asked for an online link and I gave you one. What's your problem?

The ingratitude.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Does your red button work for Sky Sports?

I have it working now. The signal went on all my channels right after adding the red button yokey. Just unplugged for a few min. All good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Trampas

Only on digital platforms. Not on the old analogue service accessed by the aerial on the roof (or coat hanger.)

Is analogue discontinued in U.K.?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Analogue went out with the Indians ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

If you have a dish, no problem but otherwise you are restricted to what they put out on BBC1 and BBC2 and it is unfortunate that the PGA clashes with (and loses out to) the European Athletics this year.

I have a freesat box and a sat dish. I wonder can the red button channels be got on that.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Analogue went out with the Indians ;)

Well 2012 but a lot of folk still use their old TVs with a convertor. I doubt they have the red button option but others may have more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

red ears wrote: »
    I have a freesat box and a sat dish. I wonder can the red button channels be got on that.

I have a Freesat box in a mobile home - I found BBC red button channel, after a bit of searching. So I would say that the answer is 'yes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

red ears wrote: »

I would say yes, and if you are getting saorview you can sometimes get bbc channels too, certainly where am in Roscommon anyway. Official saorview boxes receive the red button, at least the one I have does.
    I look at this from the other side, ie as a casual golf follower looking to access fta sports.
    It seems a strange marriage this one. On the one hand, fair play to the uspga or whoever made the decision to come out from behind the pay wall. I see more sports looking to do this in future to get youngsters interested in the games. Hard to understand them going with BBC though, didn't they have the rights to the British Open last week and gave them up to Sky for some reason, ie threw up the rights a year early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Full details of the tv (or more online) schedule for the PGA have been released. So it's BBC red button or twitter for us by the looks of it. Worth considering that live streams on twitter are actually pretty clear.... I had last year's on a 40" tv and couldn't tell the difference between it and normal HD.

https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/full-live-2017-pga-championship-united-kingdom-broadcast-schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

HighLine wrote: »
    Worth considering that live streams on twitter are actually pretty clear.... I had last year's on a 40" tv and couldn't tell the difference between it and normal HD.

https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/full-live-2017-pga-championship-united-kingdom-broadcast-schedule

Unfortunately the twitter feed will be restricted to 'marquee groups on Twitter on all 4 days in the UK, Ireland and Japan'.

I suspect the BBC will geoblock the BBC Sport website coverage for anyone outside the UK so we will be left with the Twitter feed - those of us on Virgin Media that is as we have no red button.

Edit: just spotted this ray of hope ..... Live coverage also is available on BBC2 toward the end of each day, including the conclusion of the Championship on Sunday, Aug. 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

When this was first announced, I was delighted. Grew up watching BBC golf coverage. But this looks like a total farce. The last major of the year as well.

Like it or not, our core supporters of our sport are gentlemen in their retirement years. They won't have a clue how to access content on modern platforms.

Here are the times for BBC2 live coverage - that's regular old-fashioned broadcast TV, no red button.....

Times are UK/Ireland (BST) followed by the coverage duration which as you can see increases each day with a common end time of 12:15 a.m.

Thursday 10 August

23:20-00:15 - BBC Two 55 minutes

Friday 11 August

23:05-00:15 - BBC Two 70 minutes

Saturday 12 August

22:30-00:15 - BBC Two 105 minutes

Sunday 13 August

22:00-00:15 - BBC Two 135 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

givemesport will be live streaming the PGA as well on their facebook page and maybe their website (not 100% sure about that)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭mike2084

Webbs wrote: »
    givemesport will be live streaming the PGA as well on their facebook page and maybe their website (not 100% sure about that)

More details here

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

coylemj wrote: »
    Here are the times for BBC2 live coverage - that's regular old-fashioned broadcast TV, no red button.....

Times under the dates are local (eastern) time with UK/Ireland times in brackets followed by the coverage duration which as you can see increases each day with a common end time of 7:15 p.m. Irish time. The time conversion is by me so take the local time as definitive in case I screwed up. North Carolina is 5 hours behind us.

Thursday 10 August

23:20-00:15 - BBC Two (18:20-19:15 BST) 55 minutes

Friday 11 August

23:05-00:15 - BBC Two (18:05-19:15 BST) 70 minutes

Saturday 12 August

22:30-00:15 - BBC Two (17:30-19:15 BST) 105 minutes

Sunday 13 August

22:00-00:15 - BBC Two (17:00-19:15 BST) 135 minutes

Your time conversions are wrong way around there:):

Thursday 10 August
    23:20-00:15 - BBC Two

Friday 11 August
    23:05-00:15 - BBC Two

Saturday 12 August
    22:30-00:15 - BBC Two

Sunday 13 August
    22:00-00:15 - BBC Two

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

whats with all this crap streaming and facebook and twitter....

most people want to watch it on the TV and not on the poxy internet.

TF I have a Satellite dish and the Red Button

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭bren2001

Seve OB wrote: »
    whats with all this crap streaming and facebook and twitter....

most people want to watch it on the TV and not on the poxy internet.

TF I have a Satellite dish and the Red Button

More people do watch on TV but that is changing. Twitter, Facebook or Google will eventually disrupt the sports market and show games for free or for a small fee. This is the start of it. While its a bit of an inconvenience, I think its smart thinking from the PGA's point of view to broadcast here. It is a step in the right direction.

There mistake is the red button nonsense. They should have given it to a TV provider who will broadcast it on TV and shown it via the other sources. I struggle to see why Sky, ITV or another provider could not be given the rights for a smaller fee and allowed it to be broadcast on Twitter and Facebook.

I have satellite myself so have red button access, granted, I'll be in Tenerife for it.

martinkop wrote: »
    Your time conversions are wrong way around there:):

Thursday 10 August
    23:20-00:15 - BBC Two

Friday 11 August
    23:05-00:15 - BBC Two

Saturday 12 August
    22:30-00:15 - BBC Two

Sunday 13 August
    22:00-00:15 - BBC Two

D'oh! I converted the times back to Eastern US time! You are correct, the original times are BST. Corrected my post above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Maybe i'm wrong but i appear to have the BBC red button on my basic digital service too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Quick question- I'm assuming you won't be able to get it on sky go??

Advertisement