Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Nvidia Shield

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

1 yes, there's players for both in the play store

2 this is Android TV, not Android so the vpn app needs to support that to be in the play store. You can Sideload which may work, but it depends on the app. Ask them if their app supports Android TV

Does RTE player work well with the shield? I know they haven't brought out the official android tv version, but you do always have chromecast as a backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

cronos wrote: »
    Does RTE player work well with the shield? I know they haven't brought out the official android tv version, but you do always have chromecast as a backup.

They have, check the play store. They released it in the last 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

1 yes, there's players for both in the play store

2 this is Android TV, not Android so the vpn app needs to support that to be in the play store. You can Sideload which may work, but it depends on the app. Ask them if their app supports Android TV

OK the VPN supplier has an Android TV app....

So the changing between Irish and English is straight forward and I wont have to login or install apps with every location change???

OK the VPN supplier has an Android TV app....

So the changing between Irish and English is straight forward and I wont have to login or install apps with every location change???

If you're changing region like that you need to be getting into a habit of killing the player app when you finish with it. That's easy done, just double press home brings up the app switcher where you can easily kill it

They have, check the play store. They released it in the last 2 weeks
    Super. Thanks a mill!

EDIT: I downloaded it but it's getting stuck on the first RTE Player logo screen, even after a restart.

EDIT 2: Uninstall and reinstall sorted it

• Advertisement

Super. Thanks a mill!

EDIT: I downloaded it but it's getting stuck on the first RTE Player logo screen, even after a restart.

EDIT 2: Uninstall and reinstall sorted it

I have it installed but have yet to play anything. I rarely have anything I want to see on RTE. I'll watch the Phil Lynott documentary one of the days, I checked earlier it's on there till the end of Jan so no rush

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I have it installed but have yet to play anything. I rarely have anything I want to see on RTE. I'll watch the Phil Lynott documentary one of the days, I checked earlier it's on there till the end of Jan so no rush

same here theres feck all on rte really

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Lads what's the cheapest/handiest option of getting a few more controllers added to this to get into a bit of multiplayer gameplay with the kids?

Currently have a few Xbox 360 controllers lying around, I think I read somewhere that if I get an official USB adapter (for Microsoft) that this will let me connect, but would like some kind of confirmation before I buy.

Or would I be better just heading to Amazon and picking up a cheap generic Bluetooth controller?

The price of the official controllers are madness. :eek:

Lads what's the cheapest/handiest option of getting a few more controllers added to this to get into a bit of multiplayer gameplay with the kids?

Currently have a few Xbox 360 controllers lying around, I think I read somewhere that if I get an official USB adapter (for Microsoft) that this will let me connect, but would like some kind of confirmation before I buy.

Or would I be better just heading to Amazon and picking up a cheap generic Bluetooth controller?

The price of the official controllers are madness. :eek:

Check out 8bitdo Bluetooth controllers on Amazon. There's many different types. Supposed to be amazing.

For 360 controllers you need the windows pc wireless 360 controller receiver which isn't a whole lot cheaper than some of the 8bitdo

Check out 8bitdo Bluetooth controllers on Amazon. There's many different types. Supposed to be amazing.

For 360 controllers you need the windows pc wireless 360 controller receiver which isn't a whole lot cheaper than some of the 8bitdo

Yeah, I was thinking that myself high horse.

Only thing, I'm guessing that I'd only need the one controller receiver and I could connect all the 360 controllers (I've a few of them)

Will check out the 8bitdos now.

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

I can confirm the official 360 wireless receiver works great with the Shield!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Wheres the cheapest place to get this guys ?

Wheres the cheapest place to get this guys ?

Official Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver For Windows (Xbox 360) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000MGVAAQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7f.kCb6PV3SSS

Official Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver For Windows (Xbox 360) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000MGVAAQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7f.kCb6PV3SSS

Quite expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Xbox one version is available for the same price. Well worth it. Got one for my pc.

Quite expensive

In comparison with what?

If you already own a few Xbox controllers (I have 3 here) 25stg for the official adapter means I can connect all 3, without having to buy 3 individual new controllers that will would with the shield.

There's a few generic one's, but I've read across a load of different sites and social media platforms that you are at nothing buying them, as they don't seem to work.

Edit, maybe you mean expensive on Amazon, so if anyone has any heads up where I can get cheaper, I'd appreciate a link (haven't bought this one yet)

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

In comparison with what?

If you already own a few Xbox controllers (I have 3 here) 25stg for the official adapter means I can connect all 3, without having to buy 3 individual new controllers that will would with the shield.

There's a few generic one's, but I've read across a load of different sites and social media platforms that you are at nothing buying them, as they don't seem to work.

Edit, maybe you mean expensive on Amazon, so if anyone has any heads up where I can get cheaper, I'd appreciate a link (haven't bought this one yet)

Cheers.
    The latest version of the xbox one controllers use Bluetooth so shouldn't need an adapter.
    https://m.androidcentral.com/how-pair-ps4-and-xbox-one-controllers-nvidia-shield-tv

Edit: Think you're talking about the 360 controllers. I'll leave up the post since someone might find it useful. Can confirm that I had issues getting the third party ones working in Windows a few years ago but never tried it on shield. Might be time to root through the gadget box :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Sorry I meant the Nvidia shield itself

Latest controller from Xbox works a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Hi all, looking for a remote control recommendation that will do the following devices;

Nvidia Shield
    STB ENU app on shield
    EIR TV Box
    Samsung Smart TV

An added benefit would be that you could hide the Nvidia and EIR boxes from view and just have the one 'hub' to point the remote at.

My research points me to these;
    Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control and Hub
    Logitech Harmony Elite Advanced TV and Home Entertainment Remote Control, Hub and App

The first one is cheaper but even though it says it has a hub, images suggest otherwise.

Thanks in advance,

• Advertisement

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for a remote control recommendation that will do the following devices;

Nvidia Shield
    STB ENU app on shield
    EIR TV Box
    Samsung Smart TV

An added benefit would be that you could hide the Nvidia and EIR boxes from view and just have the one 'hub' to point the remote at.

My research points me to these;
    Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control and Hub
    Logitech Harmony Elite Advanced TV and Home Entertainment Remote Control, Hub and App

The first one is cheaper but even though it says it has a hub, images suggest otherwise.

Thanks in advance,

The ultimate comes with a hub. I have 2 of them. The only difference between the ultimate and the elite is the remote layout itself, both run the same software. The elite has extra programme buttons for lights and sockets and also has the screen further forward so less chance of accidental presses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I'd agree on the Elite,great bit of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Thanks for the advice. Can I assume the ultiminate works well with stb emu?

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Can I assume the ultiminate works well with stb emu?

Yes it works perfect, you just use the D-pad, ok and back like most Android TV apps.

When you add the Shield as a device to the Harmony software you must then pair them using Bluetooth. The Harmony hub shows up as a Harmony keyboard. I've remapped the menu function to the home button on the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I assume others are getting the same freezing from Emby after updating to 7.2?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60630-nvidia-shield-experience-update-freezingdisconnect-issues/

No freezing here

I'm not having any disconnect issues either, I'm using Ethernet not WiFi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

So lads whats better on these babies....the apps from the suppliers you have subscribed too or everything in Kodi and run it from there???

I assume Kodi is still used for free not 100% legal sports and film rivers??? Sorry been out of the scene for 2 years now....wanna get back into it. As I said before my main interest is getting RTE (For the limited GAA and Football its shows) and BBC IPlayer to play with using vpn. Apart from that the wife will want to have her local German stuff on it.

I prefer Emby and pay for a subscription over Kodi, I tried Kodi about 2 years ago and found it awful full of broken links and corrupt files

• Advertisement

I'm not having any disconnect issues either, I'm using Ethernet not WiFi

Surely madness to run the shield on WiFi, it’s not like it’s a portable device

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement