Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Nvidia Shield

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Tefral wrote: »
    I couldnt believe how small it was!

That’s what she said

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

pinksoir wrote: »
    Ha, I'm in Germany too. I haven't tried iPlayer or rte player actually, sorry Must give them a go though.

Yeah I've tried that guide. They've good customer support so I've been on to them but no success yet...

Once you have tested them you can let me know....Greetings from the Pott!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Ha, I'm in Germany too. I haven't tried iPlayer or rte player actually, sorry Must give them a go though.

Yeah I've tried that guide. They've good customer support so I've been on to them but no success yet...

The app on the Shield is awful. You can pick the country but not the server and it doesn't seem to alternate. I'm thinking of sideloading the standard Android app and seeing if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

xckjoo wrote: »
    The app on the Shield is awful. You can pick the country but not the server and it doesn't seem to alternate. I'm thinking of sideloading the standard Android app and seeing if that helps.
    You can search for a specific server by inputting the number. It then produces a list of all servers (in all countries) with that number. For example, try going to search and inputting 1234.

I agree the Android TV app sucks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

You can search for a specific server by inputting the number. It then produces a list of all servers (in all countries) with that number. For example, try going to search and inputting 1234.

I agree the Android TV app sucks though.

Ahhh. I tried the country name hoping it would give me a full list but hadn't tried a serve number. Thanks for the tip.

Do you find it gives consistent connections once you find a working server?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Casting a video file to the Shield from VLC player is problematic for me. Lots of stuttering/buffering on 1080p files. Lowering the resolution helps, but not ideal. Anybody else having this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

xckjoo wrote: »
    Ahhh. I tried the country name hoping it would give me a full list but hadn't tried a serve number. Thanks for the tip.

Do you find it gives consistent connections once you find a working server?
    Yeah it's super consistent. You can also go into settings and set it to auto-reconnect. So far I haven't had any disconnections though and I've been using it consistently for two weeks.

No kill-switch unfortunately though (on Shield, there is on everything else). This is due to the Shield not having that option as other Android devices do.

OK finally my Nvidia has arrived.....took 3 weeks from France to Germany via Amazon.

Anyways...I ran the initial setup, logged in with my account, installed a few German apps for the wife and NordVpn for my stuff. Connected to an Irish server and tried to download RTE Player in the google app store.....Cant be found!! Was then planning to change to an English server to get the BBC IPlayer etc....havent got that far yet.

Any tips or has anyone an idea of where I am going wrong. Close to opening a window and giving the thing a flying lesson

When I set the shield location to U.K. and then opened the play store bbc player and itv player were there for me and I have smart dns giving me access to these.
    If you go ontk the shield tips and tricks thread you will probably get better help, high horse is usually there on stand by for anyone having trouble

OmegaGene wrote: »
    When I set the shield location to U.K. and then opened the play store bbc player and itv player were there for me and I have smart dns giving me access to these.
    If you go ontk the shield tips and tricks thread you will probably get better help, high horse is usually there on stand by for anyone having trouble

Cheers, will take a look and hopefully it isnt a VPN problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

There's more than one entry for RTE Player on the store, this is the one for the Shield (Unreleased, it says): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.twentyfouri.tvbridge.rte

Click that link from a browser on your PC (or phone, I guess) and hit Install to push the app to the Shield.

Like this:

472611.png

Telling me it is not compatible with my Nvidia Shield....

Over done the hard work for you there. You're clearly looking at the wrong version so.

Over done the hard work for you there. You're clearly looking at the wrong version so.

Have tried both....one will allow me install the app on all Samsung devices....however not the Shield.

Other app (one from your link) wont allow me to install on any

No idea so. Try searching for other RTE apps in case there's another one. I took that screenshot just now so that's the right version for my Shield :/

You probably need to have locations set to Ireland via vpn on the shield and turn off location status and scanning always available then try and search for RTÉ
    It’s not that great tbh and I would recommend going to the U.K. players instead but you may need a smart dns for these as they are quite strict

You probably need to have locations set to Ireland via vpn on the shield and turn off location status and scanning always available then try and search for RTÉ
    It’s not that great tbh and I would recommend going to the U.K. players instead but you may need a smart dns for these as they are quite strict

Am only looking for it for the odd LOI game that they show.......rest will be UK

Will take a look in a while to see if I overseen anything in the google settings. Maybe I will have to activate the locations so that it can pick up on the VPN

Am only looking for it for the odd LOI game that they show.......rest will be UK

Will take a look in a while to see if I overseen anything in the google settings. Maybe I will have to activate the locations so that it can pick up on the VPN

The way I said above is the way I have it set up and I can view RTÉ and U.K. players, the shield itself will pick up the vpn
    Check the vpn is working also

Iptv sub is a good idea too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

You cant watch live TV with the RTE player for Shield afaik

That’s correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Anyone know why?

cronos wrote: »
    Anyone know why?

Because RTÉ is just S**T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

A YouTube video streams as fast as possible and buffers in your player though.

This is a 1080p stream in Emby with the stats opened. See the bitrate is just under 30mbit and it's 1080p compressed H264

469812.jpg

how do you see the stats on emby player? what do u press?

Press down on the remote and it will bring up that menu then go to the graphic equaliser looking thing on the right select that and then select stats for nerds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Is there a recommended VPN for shield?

mad m wrote: »

Check reviews and make sure it works expressvpn and nordvpn are the ones mentioned the most, everyone has their own personal choice and swear by them, all depends what you need it for also

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

mad m wrote: »
    Not one specifically recommended for Shield, but for any/all devices.
    As OmegaGene posted above ExpressVPN and NordVPN are usually the two most highly cited (Express often considered the best overall).

There is a new service that is getting great reviews everywhere, and is also located in the British Virgin Islands (Same place as Express) and because they are relatively new, promotion prices can be found if you look around.
    They are called SurfShark VPN.

Best not to use sites like stacksocial when buying.

Mr.S wrote: »
    It's beyond me why they didn't include live tv on the Android TV app, makes no sense.

You can side-load the mobile APK and get access to live tv, but it's not totally reliable.

They couldn’t even get the app ready and working for launch day
    RTÉ are a shower of winkers only out for the licence fee
    Just get an iptv sub or an Ariel and you can have RTÉ live no problem, still feck all on it mind you

Mr.S wrote: »
    That involves paying!

It’s just over a euro a week lol

• Advertisement

It’s just over a euro a week lol

Thats too much for some....everything should be free

This discussion has been closed.