Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Nvidia Shield

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Surely madness to run the shield on WiFi, it’s not like it’s a portable device

There's plenty out there think that wireless is some magic that just works. My own brother was complaining about his streams breaking up had his shield on WiFi because it was too much trouble to plug in. Honestly. He has Ethernet at the TV, just needed a switch or to unplug the smart TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

There's plenty out there think that wireless is some magic that just works. My own brother was complaining about his streams breaking up had his shield on WiFi because it was too much trouble to plug in. Honestly. He has Ethernet at the TV, just needed a switch or to unplug the smart TV.

I run 2 X Shields one connected via ethernet to the router (I've 200mb fibre from Virgin) which streams IPTV seamlessly and another in a room which I can't cable but I dedicate the 5Ghz network of my dual router exclusively to the 2nd Shield (keeping all other WiFi connected devices on the 2.4Ghz network) and IPTV streams just as flawlessly. The 5Ghz delivers a solid 60mb d/l and 20mb u/l which seems to be more than enough for anything I try running.

If you can cable to the Shield you definitely should, if not a dual band router with 5Ghz dedicated to the Shield is likely to be the next best thing.

Having all the devices in your house, including the Shield, fighting for service on a single 2.4Ghz WiFi network, regardless of the quality of your inbound internet service, is the least desirable setup if you want a stable service to your Shield.

Having all the devices in your house, including the Shield, fighting for service on a single 2.4Ghz WiFi network, regardless of the quality of your inbound internet service, is the least desirable setup if you want a stable service to your Shield.

Yes that works, you put some thought into it to get the best you can. What people don't realise is that wireless bandwidth is shared between all your devices and only one device at a time can talk to your router on each band. It's also half duplex, send OR receive, not both directions at the same time like a cable. For these reasons things get really slow with a few devices.

You often get the .."but I have 200meg and a very strong signal on my Shield".....
    Having a smartphone/tab elsewhere in the house on the same band on a weak signal playing say high quality YouTube at the same time can cause problems for a Shield on a very strong signal. The router must stop sending data to the Shield at a high data rate to send data to the smartphone at a slower rate. This causes buffering and slowdowns at the router

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Yes that works, you put some thought into it to get the best you can. What people don't realise is that wireless bandwidth is shared between all your devices and only one device at a time can talk to your router on each band. It's also half duplex, send OR receive, not both directions at the same time like a cable. For these reasons things get really slow with a few devices.

You often get the .."but I have 200meg and a very strong signal on my Shield".....
    Having a smartphone/tab elsewhere in the house on the same band on a weak signal playing say high quality YouTube at the same time can cause problems for a Shield on a very strong signal. The router must stop sending data to the Shield at a high data rate to send data to the smartphone at a slower rate. This causes buffering and slowdowns at the router

Why do people even bother with 200 meg BB :) ?

I can get 1gb up and down but i'm on the 50 meg package at the moment, but I cannot for the life of my find a use case for anything more than 50 meg.

Maybe if you had a family in the house or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

redcup342 wrote: »
    Why do people even bother with 200 meg BB :) ?

I can get 1gb up and down but i'm on the 50 meg package at the moment, but I cannot for the life of my find a use case for anything more than 50 meg.

Maybe if you had a family in the house or something ?

1GB up ? seriously ? What provider allows that ?

I have the Nvidia connected by Ethernet and have a 100Mb package and the Nvidia logs 90-95Mb when I try speedtest

Also I stream Youtube in 4K and if you go to the stats when its streaming its using 75Mb to stream so having more than 50Mb is an advantage as its prevents buffering and stuttering etc.

The more on Ethernet the better to free up the wifi,I have 17 devices on Wifi in the house and 5 on a LAN system.

I agree with High Horse here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

75mb seems very high for 4K, no? I would have expected it to be around the 15 - 20 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Showed my brother-in-law my Nvidia Shield setup at weekend, and he was impressed.

Typically it's shot up in price on Amazon.. in fact, the Controller & Remote model isn't even in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Basq wrote: »
    Showed my brother-in-law my Nvidia Shield setup at weekend, and he was impressed.

Typically it's shot up in price on Amazon.. in fact, the Controller & Remote model isn't even in stock.

Get it direct from nvidia uk using parcel wizard

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

JDxtra wrote: »
    75mb seems very high for 4K, no? I would have expected it to be around the 15 - 20 mark.

I find Analiti to be a very good Wifi analyser for the Shield.

If compressed yes. I have 1080p Blu-ray copies that use over 30mbit

• Advertisement

I'm not saying it needs the 75 but it seems to use it all the same when you look at the stats option when viewing a Youtube Vid.

I'm not saying it needs the 75 but it seems to use it all the same when you look at the stats option when viewing a Youtube Vid.

A YouTube video streams as fast as possible and buffers in your player though.

This is a 1080p stream in Emby with the stats opened. See the bitrate is just under 30mbit and it's 1080p compressed H264

469812.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

Can someone tell me, does the YouTube app on the Shield work at 60 fps? The one on my smart TV only supports 30 fps.

kuro68k wrote: »
    Can someone tell me, does the YouTube app on the Shield work at 60 fps? The one on my smart TV only supports 30 fps.

Yea it does

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

Yea it does

Thanks, that's great. Do you know if Kodi can switch frame rates as well on it?

It does,but needs to be configured in the settings

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

If compressed yes. I have 1080p Blu-ray copies that use over 30mbit

Pffft. I have a 4K Star Wars movie that’s 105Mb.

stimpson wrote: »
    Pffft. I have a 4K Star Wars movie that’s 105Mb.

Yeah I believe there are some even higher, 110mbit bitrate

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Basq wrote: »

I am going to wait for it to drop in price aswell :p

Don’t deny yourself, pull that trigger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Right, somebody tell me why I need one of these things?

Soarer wrote: »

It’s a beast of a machine, I don’t use anything else for my entertainment needs really, if in doubt check the YouTube reviews

It’s a beast of a machine, I don’t use anything else for my entertainment needs really, if in doubt check the YouTube reviews

Because we say so

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Don’t deny yourself, pull that trigger

ha ha one of the guys in the office is constantly telling me to get one.......but he doesn't have one himself:confused: I'm half afraid to get it incase he wants to call over to play it :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

Soarer wrote: »

You mean 109 pages of a thread isn't enough??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

I couldnt believe how small it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I'm using Nord VPN with this but every time I go to Netflix it displays the aul 'looks like you're using a proxy' message. Nord works with everything going else just fine, it's only on Shield/Android TV that I get this problem.

Anyone found a way around this? I don't want to turn off my VPN every time I want to watch Netflix.

Aside from this, the shield is amazing. Have it hooked up to a projector and it's incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

pinksoir wrote: »
    I'm using Nord VPN with this but every time I go to Netflix it displays the aul 'looks like you're using a proxy' message. Nord works with everything going else just fine, it's only on Shield/Android TV that I get this problem.

Anyone found a way around this? I don't want to turn off my VPN every time I want to watch Netflix.

Aside from this, the shield is amazing. Have it hooked up to a projector and it's incredible.

Maybe this will help you with Nord

https://support.nordvpn.com/General-info/SmartPlay/1047407532/How-to-securely-watch-Netflix-with-NordVPN.htm

Another question for you....do you use Nord for BBC IPlayer??? Does it work on it?? Have you tested RTE Player with Nord on???
    Bought one of these to watch Iplayer and RTE player here in Germany...just waiting for it to be delivered. Seems all the snow in Austria is effecting the post here....

https://support.nordvpn.com/General-info/SmartPlay/1047407532/How-to-securely-watch-Netflix-with-NordVPN.htm

Another question for you....do you use Nord for BBC IPlayer??? Does it work on it?? Have you tested RTE Player with Nord on???
    Bought one of these to watch Iplayer and RTE player here in Germany...just waiting for it to be delivered. Seems all the snow in Austria is effecting the post here....

Apparently a smart dns is the best option for iplayer and the other uk players, I use getflix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Ha, I'm in Germany too. I haven't tried iPlayer or rte player actually, sorry Must give them a go though.

Yeah I've tried that guide. They've good customer support so I've been on to them but no success yet...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement