Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Nvidia Shield

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Nvidia Shield BA thread....an hour before Black Friday.......
    /BOT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

xtal191 wrote: »

€173 delivered - it's around €167 (using revolut) on uk site

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Anybody have 'OpenVPN for Android' working with the Shield? Can't seem to navigate with remote control to pick up an ovpn file.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

There's a working plugin for enigma 2 satellite boxes.

Would you mind sharing a link? Thanks.

Edit: Got it from the Tiviar thread - thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Dunno if most are aware of this already, but there's an ambilight plugin for Kodi that works on the shield too, it works quiet well judging from comments,

I don't use Kodi so haven't used it.

https://hotstickybun.com/hardware/how-to-setup-and-use-phillips-hue-lights-with-kodi/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

brightkane wrote: »

Been that a week, new normal maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

vargoo wrote: »
    Been that a week, new normal maybe.

special price for black friday cyber monday weeks and its the best time to buy

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Etnies wrote: »
    Dunno if most are aware of this already, but there's an ambilight plugin for Kodi that works on the shield too, it works quiet well judging from comments,

https://hotstickybun.com/hardware/how-to-setup-and-use-phillips-hue-lights-with-kodi/

There's the Kodi plug in that kind of works and also another app calle Huescan which can be side loaded into the shield also,both have their own issues to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Etnies wrote: »

Theatre works well to dim lights but ambilight picks an average colour from the screen once then never changes. I'm using it in 2 different rooms to great effect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Got the Shield and it's great. Cuts through 1080p VOD like a hot knife through margarine. Even after fast forwarding there is no buffering at all.
    Only problematic thing is I can't get harmony hub remote to control it.
    From the harmony website
    * Newer 2017 models of SHIELD TV do not work with IR based remotes.

califano wrote: »
    Got the Shield and it's great. Cuts through 1080p VOD like a hot knife through margarine. Even after fast forwarding there is no buffering at all.
    From the harmony website

You need to also add it as Harmony keyboard by pairing Bluetooth. To get the prompt to pair you may have to remove the device and add it again from scratch
    https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-nvidia-shield

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

From the harmony website

High horse is your man for the advice there

Wow he’s fast he replied while I was typing lol

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭ondafly

From the harmony website

if your TV supports it - activate CEC on the shield. I'm using a Harmony hub with harmony elite to control the shield and it works great.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    High horse is your man for the advice there

I've had this exact issue, didn't get the prompt then couldn't pair them and after some googling had to remove and pair again.

I've an issue with a harmony and a Mibox. Xaoimi didn't open the Bluetooth which makes it a pain add it's mapped as something else, play works, but stop doesn't.

ondafly wrote: »
    if your TV supports it - activate CEC on the shield. I'm using a Harmony hub with harmony elite to control the shield and it works great.

Don't do this if you value your sanity :D Harmony actually recommend you disable CEC on all devices as it interferes

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/understanding-hdmi-and-cec

I presume flirc will work with the shield?

degsie wrote: »
    I presume flirc will work with the shield?

There's no IR on the 2017 model, there is on the earlier one. 2017 is Bluetooth

There's no IR on the 2017 model, there is on the earlier one. 2017 is Bluetooth

I meant a flirc dongle

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    I meant a flirc dongle

Yes that will work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Yeah, the Shield works flawlessly with the Harmony elite. I can't remember exactly, but the original pairing process was a PITA, but after that it worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

You need to also add it as Harmony keyboard by pairing Bluetooth. To get the prompt to pair you may have to remove the device and add it again from scratch
    https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-nvidia-shield

Thanks very much, this worked really well. Up and running!. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tonyfillony

Ah ha ha , bloody typical payday today and its back up , will just have to keep on eye on it for a bit , will hopefully drop before xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Seeing as I still haven't found my Shield remote and the dog has now damaged my LG magic remote by using it as a chew toy. I decided to finally give Harmony a try. Ordered the Ultimate for 100e on Amazon. Looking forward to trying it out Wednesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Back down to 159.99 again.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Seeing as I still haven't found my Shield remote and the dog has now damaged my LG magic remote by using it as a chew toy. I decided to finally give Harmony a try. Ordered the Ultimate for 100e on Amazon. Looking forward to trying it out Wednesday!

The dog will love the Harmony ultimate, there's a great chew to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

The dog will love the Harmony ultimate, there's a great chew to it!!

I have it well hidden from the golden nugget :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Hi Lads

Thinking about buying one of these boys to replace the fire tv box. Just need 1 or 2 pieces of info before pressing buy......

1. RTE Player and Various UK Players available....IPlayer etc.

2. The above naturally with VPN...my supplier offers an android app...can I install it and then switch from Irish to English content without much bother. I am based in Germany hence the VPN and wish to have live UK/Irish TV streamed.

• Advertisement

Hi Lads

Thinking about buying one of these boys to replace the fire tv box. Just need 1 or 2 pieces of info before pressing buy......

1. RTE Player and Various UK Players available....IPlayer etc.

2. The above naturally with VPN...my supplier offers an android app...can I install it and then switch from Irish to English content without much bother. I am based in Germany hence the VPN and wish to have live UK/Irish TV streamed.

1 yes, there's players for both in the play store

2 this is Android TV, not Android so the vpn app needs to support that to be in the play store. You can Sideload which may work, but it depends on the app. Ask them if their app supports Android TV

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement