Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 7 Episode 1 "Dragonstone" - "Book readers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'm actually a bit traumatised by that. Of all the things that could have gotten to me in this series over the years, the rolling plops in bed pans that sam had to clean upset me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I thought it was an excellent opening and I like that they got a lot of things that could have been dragged on out of the way (The Frey's getting their comeuppance,

Was that really necessary though, I mean after old Wally had been served the pie were they any sort of players any more? I couldn't work out what was going on in the opening scene, I was like "Why the callback to these losers?:confused:"

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

Liamalone wrote: »
    Ah ha, you're on the money. My mistake. They do look a bit alike I suppose.

Cheers

I thought it was Gendry too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Am I missing something or should Davos not be aware of all the dragon glass at dragonstone?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I'm more excited for the next book than the show to be honest, I think the storytelling in the show has gone downhill since they passed out GRRM. It's still good, just not AS good. Dorne ruined it for me a bit a couple seasons ago. Ed Sheeran FFS. Jumped the shark a bit there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,124 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    I'm more excited for the next book than the show to be honest, I think the storytelling in the show has gone downhill since they passed out GRRM. It's still good, just not AS good. Dorne ruined it for me a bit a couple seasons ago. Ed Sheeran FFS. Jumped the shark a bit there.

If Ed Sheeran was involved in a storyline, that would be jumping the shark. His cameo was a minor annoyance and it's done now, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

ceegee wrote: »
    Am I missing something or should Davos not be aware of all the dragon glass at dragonstone?
    Not sure why he should tbh. It's not as though it had any real value before now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Do the people that Arya turns into need to be dead? I was wondering could she have a Tyrion face to kill Cersei with the the prophecy is kinda correct.
    I'm sure it'll be Jaime doing another stopping the mad ruler but it's a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

J. Marston wrote: »
    If Ed Sheeran was involved in a storyline, that would be jumping the shark. His cameo was a minor annoyance and it's done now, thankfully.

Nah, to redeem it the show needs to make his character suffer a slow and painful death, oh Ramsey where art thou

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Do the people that Arya turns into need to be dead? I was wondering could she have a Tyrion face to kill Cersei with the the prophecy is kinda correct.
    I'm sure it'll be Jaime doing another stopping the mad ruler but it's a thought
    I think prophecies need to observe the small print. Arya doing it would still be Arya.

I suspect that scene will have Arya change her mind and head north. If a Lannister army is heading north, she may need to warn Jon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Blazer wrote: »
    Goddamn Ed Sheeran cameo..it just looked like they CGI'ed his gimp head onto a faceless soldier. And then I hear a few posts back that McGregor is getting a cameo too? I mean wtf like..we don't need these clowns in it.

Mayweather v McGregor in single combat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I think prophecies need to observe the small print. Arya doing it would still be Arya.

I suspect that scene will have Arya change her mind and head north. If a Lannister army is heading north, she may need to warn Jon.

I dont understand, how whse wouldnt have heard that Jon and Sansa are at Winterfell and why her first instinct isnt to head there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

....... wrote: »
    Someone on Reddit posted a screen cap of the book he was reading and the word "cure" is listed in the text of the book with the illustration of the catspaw's valeryian steel dagger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Thought it was an underwhelming episode/ comeback to be honest.
    Obviously they're setting it up for the coming episodes but i feel it just kind of drifted along. The Hound and the brotherhood stuff was the standout, as is usually the case with The Hound. Maybe the best character on the show now? (or has he always been?) Anyway, Ed Sheerin....or to give him his full title : Ed F*ckin Sheerin... why? Why shoe horn him in like that front and centre? Really jarred with the whole series, a 'celebrity' centre camera with a speaking part. Didn't like it at all. Eye rolling FFS moment for me. Hope to God the Conor McGregor rumors arent true. Things can only get better with regards the coming episodes i guess....and does Dany have any other face than bitch resting regal face? The most expressionless person on planet Westros. She's been staring blanky yet wistfully in the distance around the seven kingdoms for the last seven seasons!!! ...but besides all that I'm looking forward to the next six.
    Ps : poor ol Jorah.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 houlihand

Fantastic start! Cant wait for the next episode

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Great opening but then a lot of set up. Love the hound.

Is there going to be a big sea battle shortly.

Arys should have done us all a favour and stabbed ed on set.

I actually like some of his stuff and didn't think it interfered too much with anything.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Given the reaction to Ed Sheeran appearing for a minute, I assume you'll all be boycotting Dunkirk when it's released..

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

There is a lot of bards in the books.
    Makes sense having one in, that's how some stories/history is spread through the 7 kingdoms. The show hasn't made much use of them, doesn't bother me as much as it did when I first saw it.
    Excellent episode, i loved it all. Can't wait for next episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Enjoyed the episode. Thought it was an excellent season opener but with some issues (IMHO purely of course) :

Liked:
    • Hound: You're not fooling anyone with that knot top you bald c***. (Methhinks that was a nod from the writers about all the hipsters adopting the Jon knot :) )
    • Dondarion and The Hound's scene. Think Dondarion's gonna sacrifice himself for him at some point this season ala Lady whats-her-name-zombie-Katelyn.
    • Cercie/Jamie. The look of horror on Jamie's face when Cercie said Tomyn betrayed her by killing himself. Wonderfully played.
    • Jim Broadbent..... Just Jim Broadbent being amazing.
    • Ed at the Wall.

Meh/Didn't Like
    • These will be controversial :) but... I thought Arya's start was almost too badass. I mean all she was missing was an explosion behind her.
    • Lady Mortmont... Again, almost too badass. Everything she says is now cool. It's as if they use her now to get that dragons meme circulating.
    • Ed Sheeran. Nothing against the guy. Don't get the hate. But his cameo was NOT subtle.... I mean when he said "It's New" you were almost expecting him to say "It's on my new album". Again, no problem with the guy. Just thought the scene was executed poorly.
    • Arya learning that not ALL Lannister soldiers are murdering b*stards and they had real lives/kids/blah blah blah was VERY heavyhanded. As a matter of fact, that whole scene laid it on pretty thick.
    • Don't overuse the whole Brienne/Tormund thing.
    • I REALLY don't like Euron (The actor or the character). I always disliked the Iron Islands storyline in the books. Thought they were dull, predictable and unnecessary. I can't remember his description in the books but I always read Euron as being a huge ugly bear of a man. Scarred, ugly, middle-aged warrior. Think this is really bad casting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I think its more than a haircut at this stage. The flowing golden locks of the old Cersei, the smiling sly queen whom was tricked by Tyrion, Olyenna, LF and the High Sparrow is gone. This Cersei is much more dangerous, untrustworthy, suspicious and ruthless. Hence the tight no nonsense hairdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Enjoyed the episode. Thought it was an excellent season opener but with some issues (IMHO purely of course) :

Liked:
    • Hound: You're not fooling anyone with that knot top you bald c***. (Methhinks that was a nod from the writers about all the hipsters adopting the Jon knot :) )
    • Dondarion and The Hound's scene. Think Dondarion's gonna sacrifice himself for him at some point this season ala Lady whats-her-name-zombie-Katelyn.
    • Cercie/Jamie. The look of horror on Jamie's face when Cercie said Tomyn betrayed her by killing himself. Wonderfully played.
    • Jim Broadbent..... Just Jim Broadbent being amazing.
    • Ed at the Wall.

Meh/Didn't Like
    • These will be controversial :) but... I thought Arya's start was almost too badass. I mean all she was missing was an explosion behind her.
    • Lady Mortmont... Again, almost too badass. Everything she says is now cool. It's as if they use her now to get that dragons meme circulating.
    • Ed Sheeran. Nothing against the guy. Don't get the hate. But his cameo was NOT subtle.... I mean when he said "It's New" you were almost expecting him to say "It's on my new album". Again, no problem with the guy. Just thought the scene was executed poorly.
    • Arya learning that not ALL Lannister soldiers are murdering b*stards and they had real lives/kids/blah blah blah was VERY heavyhanded. As a matter of fact, that whole scene laid it on pretty thick.
    • Don't overuse the whole Brienne/Tormund thing.
    • I REALLY don't like Euron (The actor or the character). I always disliked the Iron Islands storyline in the books. Thought they were dull, predictable and unnecessary. I can't remember his description in the books but I always read Euron as being a huge ugly bear of a man. Scarred, ugly, middle-aged warrior. Think this is really bad casting.

Perfectly sums up my own feelings on the episode

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

....... wrote:

Jamie wanted them to be together. Cersei used him like she used everyone else to get what she wanted. Marrying him doesn't interest her in the slightest, especially now when she's desperately in need of allies. I'm not sure Jamie even wants to be with her now that he sees through her for the Mad Queen that she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

....... wrote:

See my last line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I closed my Twitter account as a result.

Be careful out there folks.

Seems a bit extreme. Just change your twitter settings or block their emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

A friend of mine just moved to Canada and I told him I will not read any mail/text/facebook post of his from Sunday until Tuesday :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement