Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 7 Episode 1 "Dragonstone" - "Book readers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The giant white walker definitely isn't Wun Wun, his right eye was wight-blue which is the eye Wun Wun got an arrow through in The Battle of The Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Plus, they would have burned Wun Wun along with all the other bodies after the battle just to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The giant white walker definitely isn't Wun Wun, his right eye was wight-blue which is the eye Wun Wun got an arrow through in The Battle of The Bastards.

Definitely. But I would say its probably the same actor for ease of contract agreements, casting and makeup design. Hence the confusion. Two giants died at the end of season 4 during the battle at Castle Black. Could be Wun of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Definitely. But I would say its probably the same actor for ease of contract agreements, casting and makeup design. Hence the confusion. Two giants died at the end of season 4 during the battle at Castle Black. Could be Wun of them.

They actually just use a regular sized guy (obviously was not going to be that size, but I figured they might have used a 6'6, 300lb type fella) carrying around a big long pole the peak of which is Wun Wun's eyeline, without even any costume on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

But didn't she leave the wife alive just so that she could tell everyone "The North Remembers"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Arya and the Lannister soldiers scene was a bit rollercoaster of emotions for me, started off with a sense of dread 'oh no Arya is going to get raped by Ed Sheeran', then as she's looking around and seeing none of them are armed i'm thinking 'yes, she is goign to go stabby stabby on Ed Sheeran and the gang'.

But in the end it was 'aw that was a lovely scene' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Riddle101 wrote: »

The Hound is by far my favorite character in the series.

ah jaysus.:mad:..have you learned nothing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

ceegee wrote: »
    Am I missing something or should Davos not be aware of all the dragon glass at dragonstone?

I need to watch it again but when Sam realises the significance of what he finds in the book didn't he say something to the effect of "oh yeah stannis mentioned that actually" :|

Sam is a walking disaster with that Dragon glass. Thought his montage this week was fun but more generally I've been finding his scenes and arc tedious for at least a couple of seasons.

Overall a more than solid episode though. I hope Arya continues to get her humanity back and goes to get family rather than keep on going through her list. If only to see Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams together, they've both evolved a lot as actresses in the last six years. Liked the tension between Sansa and Jon, Littlefinger has adapted to her new found balls well, he's letting her think she has him much more on the back foot than he actually is, she's spent so long being so passive that just being superficially assertive with him is blinding her to the fact that he's still manipulating her and playing her off against her most solid ally. She tells Brianna "I know exactly what he wants", I doubt she does. It's not as simple as him just wanting to marry the daughter of the woman he's been obsessed with for twenty odd years and whose family he caused to be decimated during him orchestrating a world war for his own gain and amusement, he's more complicated than that :pac:

I'm in the minority I think but I quite like Euron.

Tormund might be toast pretty soon I guess :(

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I'm naïvely hoping to see Arya reunited with Nymeria during her travels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

• I REALLY don't like Euron (The actor or the character). I always disliked the Iron Islands storyline in the books. Thought they were dull, predictable and unnecessary. I can't remember his description in the books but I always read Euron as being a huge ugly bear of a man. Scarred, ugly, middle-aged warrior. Think this is really bad casting.

Book Euron and Show Euron are basically two completely different characters
    Euron in the book's is one of the most terrifying characters I've read about- collecting priest's for some sort of dark magic plan, manipulated his brother into killing his own wife after he had raped her, he sexually abusing his brother when only children, has ship of mutes devoted to him and has kick ass loot like a Dragon horn and Valerian Armour

Show Euron, erm, has a big cock and two hands? (I do like the actor though so I'm holding out hope he can make it his own)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Where's Ghost lads? Is he still at The Wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Does Sam know that Jon is no longer Lord Commander of the Nights Watch? Or that he has been declared the King in the North?
    Cersei knows and has referenced it, so it's fair to assume they sent out Ravens declaring him King... and you would assume the ravens also went to the Citadel. But did Sam acknowledge the shift in roles at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Does Sam know that Jon is no longer Lord Commander of the Nights Watch? Or that he has been declared the King in the North?
    Cersei knows and has referenced it, so it's fair to assume they sent out Ravens declaring him King... and you would assume the ravens also went to the Citadel. But did Sam acknowledge the shift in roles at all?
    Cersei has an army (of sorts) up north... ish, so they may have got the word sooner than the Citadel. But the Winterfell Maester would be on the Citadel mailing list, so perhaps he'd have sent a raven south for them to update their "Who's who in Westeros" with the name of the new King in the North.

Sam was sending a rmail to Jon about the dragonglass in Drogonstone, so if that arrives in Winterfell, we can assume he knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Thought his montage this week was fun but more generally I've been finding his scenes and arc tedious for at least a couple of seasons.

I fast-forwarded the montage on my second viewing. Sam, Gilly and the baby could fall off the edge of the known world for all I care about their story arc.
    Danjamin1 wrote:
    I'm naïvely hoping to see Arya reunited with Nymeria during her travels

I've been CONVINCED that this would happen since I read the first book a lifetime ago.

Mind you, I was also resolutely convinced that Sirius Black would come back into Harry Potter, so my form on these things isn't exactly amazing...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I need to watch it again but when Sam realises the significance of what he finds in the book didn't he say something to the effect of "oh yeah stannis mentioned that actually" :|

Did he?!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I fast-forwarded the montage on my second viewing. Sam, Gilly and the baby could fall off the edge of the known world for all I care about their story arc.

I've been CONVINCED that this would happen since I read the first book a lifetime ago.

Mind you, I was also resolutely convinced that Sirius Black would come back into Harry Potter, so my form on these things isn't exactly amazing...

I'm re-reading at the moment, just finished Storm of Swords and up until she boards the ship for Braavos she's still having her wolf dreams. Could just be a set up or could be a hint that they'll be reunited. On to Feast for Crows now (ugh) so hoping by the time I finish Dance of Dragons GRRM might be close to releasing Winds of Winter. I've been getting my book & tv narrative confused too much so the re-read is necessary to remember wtf is going on!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

:D "rmail"

I thought it was a good solid start but probably a little too much exposition considering there's only 7 episodes this season.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    :D "rmail"

I thought it was a good solid start but probably a little too much exposition considering there's only 7 episodes this season.
    Yeah, they stopped calling it ravenmail an age ago :D

I suppose they have to place everybody at the start of the season or else you'll get imterminable threads about something or other that doesn't make sense to the goldfish brained.

Some useful things came out of it like the Lannister presence in the Riverlands and Cersei's awareness of where her enemies are. Euron joining with Cersei and finding out Jorah is in the Citadel etc.

I think everyone was placed on the map, which was useful in itself.

• Advertisement

I assume KL, since that's where Jaime is.

How exactly does Arya take the face of a person? There's a debate raging in the non-book-reader thread about it. I'm happy to accept it as "magic". Is it properly explained in the books?

How exactly does Arya take the face of a person? There's a debate raging in the non-book-reader thread about it. I'm happy to accept it as "magic". Is it properly explained in the books?
    I hazily recall a scene in season five (I think) where Jaqen H'ghar is removing some dead randomer's face for future use by the faceless men.

It's part of the whole "A man is no-one" training that they can take on the persona of such a removed and stored face. Tha fact that these faces never seem to rot or deteriorate is part of the magic.

In the book, it's a painful transition. But a complete one, not just the face.

Well in the show, they show the faces been cut off the dead person, so presumably they just wear them like a glove. Not very hygenic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Did he?!

Yeah. About 1:25 here...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Book Euron and Show Euron are basically two completely different characters
    Euron in the book's is one of the most terrifying characters I've read about- collecting priest's for some sort of dark magic plan, manipulated his brother into killing his own wife after he had raped her, he sexually abusing his brother when only children, has ship of mutes devoted to him and has kick ass loot like a Dragon horn and Valerian Armour

Show Euron, erm, has a big cock and two hands? (I do like the actor though so I'm holding out hope he can make it his own)

Yeah, that's what I meant. Plus, he was such an unlikable character in the book and his whole story is too predictable: "I'm gonna go there and take her dragons" sh*te when you know Dany's just gonna kill him immediately and take his ships (in the books).

BOTH versions are terrible and pointless.

I disliked the Iron Islands storyline as much as the Sand Snakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Dial Hard wrote: »

They're two of the weakest actors on the show too (I actually quite like the baby :pac:) and purely functional most of the time. Go get Chekov's dragonglass/Valyrian sword, go tell the important character the thing, if there's spare time do some funny fatman things and maybe point out the theme of the episode to each other. Nothing about how or when or why you do this setting up stuff has to make sense. It's like someone drew the short straw and had to write them and just wasn't arsed.

• Advertisement

It's not the people who are blocked, it's the content of their posts if they include detail from the books.

Advertisement