Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat kids

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Sadb wrote: »
    Unfortunately it is, we have one of the lowest breastfeeding rates in the world.

A majority still breastfeed, 55%, I think.

Does it work though? I don't think an few extra cent tax is going to significantly lower the consumption of rubbishy foods.

No idea but I don't understand people being almost offended by the idea.

OU812 wrote: »
    Ummm... No.

While it's been proven to contribute greatly & influence all sorts of body chemistry, there's no outright report to say it's 100% the best thing you can do - if you can provide three totally independent reports to say it is, I'll publicly apologise to you.

I'm reading 'The Life Project' currently about the longtidunal studies done on successive generations of children born in the UK. These are huge, ambitious studies where a huge amount of information are gathered. Among their findings is than breastfed children are much less likely to be overweight. I don't have three independent studies to hand this minute relating to these findings but there is no doubt they exist. The findings have been written up extensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Murrisk wrote: »
    A majority still breastfeed, 55%, I think.

That figure is "who have ever breastfed even once", this figure is hugely inflated imo. Look at the figure of breastfeeding mothers leaving hospital (which is usually at 2/3 days old), it's about 22%.

Ummm... No.

While it's been proven to contribute greatly & influence all sorts of body chemistry, there's no outright report to say it's 100% the best thing you can do - if you can provide three totally independent reports to say it is, I'll publicly apologise to you.

For many babies, bottle feeding is the only option as:
    • Either the mother doesn't produce/produce enough milk.
    • The baby will fail to latch on.
    • After a surgical delivery, the mother is in no condition to breastfeed.

In all three of these scenarios (of which there are probably several more), bottle feeding is proven to be the most nutritional, healthy food for your baby.

Although I will concede that there is a percentage of mothers who prefer not to breastfeed for their own reasons which have nothing to do with the scenarios I've mentioned.

1. A breastfeeding mothers milk does not come in until day 2/3/4, in most cases this is after the mother has left the hospital, by which point already 70-80% are not breastfeeding so how could any of them know if they could produce enough milk.

2. Many babies/mothers do need help with latch, unfortunately there is no help available to these mothers in Irish hospitals and the solution is to shove a bottle in babies mouth. If a baby cannot latch because of other issues a mother can pump her breast milk.

3. Why do you think this? There is no medical reason why a mother can't breastfeed after a Caesarian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

This thread has really gone bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

LordSutch wrote: »
    Nature or nurture?

I think its a combination of the two.
    Genetics play a big part ...

True to a certain extent but kids that have a poor diet and are not overtly fat are what is termed skinny fat. Their organs are those of obese people but don't display it on the outside. No-one can really get away with poor dietary habits

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    This thread has really gone bust.

It's all gone a bit tits up.

It's all gone a bit tits up.

It's difficult to support it at this stage.

It's difficult to support it at this stage.

You're beginning to milk it now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Billy Connolly said it best -
    You're retaining water? You're retaining chips. You're retaining mars bars.
    I have a slow metabolism - you have a fast appetite.
    I'm big boned - yes your ass bone is enormous.

Its the old adage - you are what you eat - if you eat crap, you will look like crap.

Its not education - from 10 year olds to 30 somethings, these are the social media savvy people - if they can text faster with their thumbs on Whats app, Instagram, Twitter, FB, etc than I'm typing this, they can look up healthy eating information.

its pure laziness. If you work full time (long days), plan meals in advance. Buy vegetables and fruit.

And its not the governments fault or big business - they aren't shovelling the food into your gobs.

I never buy crisps, chocolate, cake, biscuits - because if I did, I would eat them all in one setting and they wouldn't be there for the visitors that I bought them for in the first place!

Don't buy crap and your kids and you can't eat crap. Simples!

You're beginning to milk it now....

Just trying to implant a little humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I have no idea how much of an effect the difference in exercise levels between this generation and the ones before it is having on childhood obesity , but it certainly exists.

I'm only in my thirties, but the difference is remarkable....when I was in primary school I estimate I was getting a good two hours of exercise a day (mostly running around kicking a football etc), and believe me when I say I was not a sporty kid.

Every one of my mates had access to computer games but even still would have maintained the above, and that's not including things like PE etc.

Does the average child nowadays get even half that? I doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

LordSutch wrote: »

Nature or nurture?

I think its a combination of the two.
    Genetics play a big part ...

No. 100% its nurture. Nature has not changed in 20 or 30 years so the increase in fat kids is completely due to nurture. Or rising incomes, availability of cheap calorie rich food, and a cultural adaptation to view increasing weight as normal.

Just trying to implant a little humour.

It did need some uplifting.

It did need some uplifting.

Chest a little.

I think there are way fewer fat kids in recent years than during the 2000s. Definitely way fewer fat teenagers anyway. During the 2000s, teens who had been fed junk food as kids during the mid to late 90s had become overweight and were used to a junk food diet. During the 90s however, most teens (who had grown up as kids in the 80s) ate little junk food as kids and it was only the better off and those most predisposed to become fat who ate lots of junk in the 80s and early 90s and became fat teenagers. What is happening during the 2010s is that kids who had lots of access to junk food during the 2000s don't get excited by it the way kids who grew up in earlier times do, so it isn't as difficult to avoid it. Also, pressures to do with self-image which result from social media and smartphones being a thing has made teenagers more conscious of their diets, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think there are way fewer fat kids in recent years than during the 2000s. Definitely way fewer fat teenagers anyway.
    This is untrue I think. It's just that they don't go outside as much because they can live 100% through a screen.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You see loads of kids on my local shop every morning buying sausage rolls and other **** processed junk for their breakfasts. It's just mind boggling to me that there are parents that don't make sure their kids have a decent breakfast at home in the mornings and instead give them money to buy unhealthy crap.

I feel very sorry for fat kids but it is 100% their parents' fault. They are setting them up for a life of discomfort and being mocked as well as medical problems, all due to their own laziness or unwillingness to enforce any discipline. It's very hard for a fat kid to get the weight off, they basically have a lifetime of obesity ahead of them.

It's shockingly unfair on the poor kid.

They won't be mocked as they'll be in the majority. One less reason not to get fat.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

When I was young my parents had me involved in everything. Rugby, soccer, hurling, football, golf, tennis.

I hardly ever had an evening off during the week, there was a training session of some kind to attend.

You'd be looking at about 2 grand a year in fees for that these days.

Still, cheaper than a heart transplant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭OU812

1. A breastfeeding mother's milk does not come in until day 2/3/4, in most cases, this is after the mother has left the hospital, by which point already 70-80% are not breastfeeding so how could any of them know if they could produce enough milk.

So the answer is to starve the baby just in case it kicks in later?
    2. Many babies/mothers do need help with latch, unfortunately, there is no help available to these mothers in Irish hospitals and the solution is to shove a bottle in babies mouth. If a baby cannot latch because of other issues a mother can pump her breast milk.

Maybe the "breast is best" brigade would be suitable for doing thins then, because they didn't in our case, just scoured angrily as I demanded a bottle for a baby that had had trouble feeding for 36 hours.Pumping is not an ideal solution either
    3. Why do you think this? There is no medical reason why a mother can't breastfeed after a Caesarian.

Personal experience. Quite a difficult pregnancy followed by a difficult cesarian. made it impossible to even lift baby for the first four days.

* Still waiting on the three independent reports BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭OU812

Murrisk wrote: »
    I'm reading 'The Life Project' currently about the longtidunal studies done on successive generations of children born in the UK. These are huge, ambitious studies where a huge amount of information are gathered. Among their findings is than breastfed children are much less likely to be overweight. I don't have three independent studies to hand this minute relating to these findings but there is no doubt they exist. The findings have been written up extensively.

That's by no means definitive. I was breastfed & as stated earlier, was a fat kid & adult & only in recent years have managed to get it under control.

They way I did was to change my diet & exercise more.

So the answer is to starve the baby just in case it kicks in later?

Maybe the "breast is best" brigade would be suitable for doing thins then, because they didn't in our case, just scoured angrily as I demanded a bottle for a baby that had had trouble feeding for 36 hours.Pumping is not an ideal solution either

Personal experience. Quite a difficult pregnancy followed by a difficult cesarian. made it impossible to even lift baby for the first four days.

* Still waiting on the three independent reports BTW.

You clearly have no clue about breastfeeding, the first feeds are colostrum always, the milk always kicks in later and no starving there.

So the breast is best brigade were with you in your ward scourning you? Did you even ask for or contact a lactation consultant?

That is in your experience, that is not to say that other mothers can't breastfeed after a Caesarian.

Show me an actual study that proves that artificial milk is best for baby.

Everyone has a right to decide to breastfeed if they wish, don't try to dismiss its benefits just because you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Billy Connolly said it best -
    You're retaining water? You're retaining chips. You're retaining mars bars.
    I have a slow metabolism - you have a fast appetite.
    I'm big boned - yes your ass bone is enormous.

Its the old adage - you are what you eat - if you eat crap, you will look like crap.

Its not education - from 10 year olds to 30 somethings, these are the social media savvy people - if they can text faster with their thumbs on Whats app, Instagram, Twitter, FB, etc than I'm typing this, they can look up healthy eating information.

its pure laziness. If you work full time (long days), plan meals in advance. Buy vegetables and fruit.

And its not the governments fault or big business - they aren't shovelling the food into your gobs.

I never buy crisps, chocolate, cake, biscuits - because if I did, I would eat them all in one setting and they wouldn't be there for the visitors that I bought them for in the first place!

Don't buy crap and your kids and you can't eat crap. Simples!

not simples at all, otherwise we wouldn't have a problem.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

That's by no means definitive. I was breastfed & as stated earlier, was a fat kid & adult & only in recent years have managed to get it under control.

They way I did was to change my diet & exercise more.

It is much less likely- not 100%. That's like saying the studies on fast food being bad for you are all wrong because I eat it and I am slim. It could be that in 40 bottle fed babies 23 are obese. In 40 breastfed babies 10 are obese. (Not actual figures) Thus making it much less likely to be obese if you are breastfed, it doesn't mean that all bottlefed babies will be obese or that no breastfed babies will be obese.

Chest a little.

I think it's breast that we move on from all this

I think it's breast that we move on from all this

We're fine. Don't be afraid of criticism. You'll always have the knockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

When I was young my parents had me involved in everything. Rugby, soccer, hurling, football, golf, tennis.

I hardly ever had an evening off during the week, there was a training session of some kind to attend.

I dare say what a posh kid you were, I got plenty work on the farm no time for getting fat :)

Ummm... No.

For many babies, bottle feeding is the only option as:
    • Either the mother doesn't produce/produce enough milk.
    • The baby will fail to latch on.
    • After a surgical delivery, the mother is in no condition to breastfeed.

In all three of these scenarios (of which there are probably several more), bottle feeding is proven to be the most nutritional, healthy food for your baby.

Although I will concede that there is a percentage of mothers who prefer not to breastfeed for their own reasons which have nothing to do with the scenarios I've mentioned.

It also extremely limits the mother as she has to be with the baby for every feed. Has to get up for the night feeds or early morning feed which husbands tend to do from my experience when bottle feeding is chosen, they can't go away for a night, they can't drink much or at all etc etc. The recent mothers I know have all said they had well enough of feeding the baby while it was inside them and now that's it's born they want to be able to have a night out, weekend away, not have a baby feeding on them etc.

I can only think of one mother who breastfed for a long period of time of the people I know who have had babies in the last few years. The others either did it for a few days or not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It also extremely limits the mother as she has to be with the baby for every feed. Has to get up for the night feeds or early morning feed which husbands tend to do from my experience when bottle feeding is chosen, they can't go away for a night, they can't drink much or at all etc etc. The recent mothers I know have all said they had well enough of feeding the baby while it was inside them and now that's it's born they want to be able to have a night out, weekend away, not have a baby feeding on them etc.

I can only think of one mother who breastfed for a long period of time of the people I know who have had babies in the last few years. The others either did it for a few days or not at all.
    Says a lot about our society when mothers don't want to do what's best for their baby because it would interfere with them going on the piss.

Advertisement