Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat kids

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I think this is probably one of the most reprehensible posts I've seen on boards.ie in my short time here and I've seen some sh1te!

People love other people including their offspring for a variety of reasons and lowest on the list is how attractive they are.

Obesity, like it's binary opposite Anorexia is a medical condition caused by a variety of reasons. Thyroid, Common Steroids for Asthma, Borderline Personality Disorder, Diabetes and so on can contribute.

Another factor is stigmatisation which makes the problem repeat in a vicious circle.

It's such a cheap shot, and a reflection on the commentator rather than their target.

I believe to take such a nasty shot at such a vulnerable group, overweight children, the commentator must be lacking any kind of empathy and education.

The only person 'unloveable' is the person who has no love in their heart that they ridicule children and people struggling with a medical condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

tupenny wrote: »
    Usually they're the kids with the fat parents too

Which they will use to claim it is genetic and out of their control, when it's actually because they're feeding their kids the same diet that made them fat in the first place.
    we've built a society free from personal responsibility. people feed their kids crap and don't make them exercise and then blame the state for their fat kids.

When has anyone blamed the state for their own fat children?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

2: Your Granny and Granddad who were lean as a pole know more about nutrition than most experts.

Lol you've never seen my granny making a cake. 1 slice has like a million calories. Best thing you'll ever have. No regrets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

gizmo81 wrote: »
    I think this is probably one of the most reprehensible posts I've seen on boards.ie in my short time here and I've seen some sh1te!

People love other people including their offspring for a variety of reasons and lowest on the list is how attractive they are.

Obesity, like it's binary opposite Anorexia is a medical condition caused by a variety of reasons. Thyroid, Common Steroids for Asthma, Borderline Personality Disorder, Diabetes and so on can contribute.

Another factor is stigmatisation which makes the problem repeat in a vicious circle.

It's such a cheap shot, and a reflection on the commentator rather than their target.

I believe to take such a nasty shot at such a vulnerable group, overweight children, the commentator must be lacking an kind of empathy and education.

The only person 'unloveable' is the person who has no love in their heart that they ridicule children and people struggling with a medical condition.

LOL, medical conditions, gimme a break, I knew someone like you would come along sooner or later :D

Funny how there were no fat kids with illnesses when I was a kid huh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

LOL, medical conditions, gimme a break, I knew someone like you would come along sooner or later :D

Dude, you said yourself your Mammy had to stuff you with complan to get you up to a 'normal' weight, maybe you should just count yourself lucky you got the 'can't put on weight' deal and not the alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Carbohydrate and sugar consumption leads to fat kids.

There are:

1: More and more of these foods are readily available.

2: Nutritional advice is bolloxed and works off bullcrap assumptions. Your Granny and Granddad who were lean as a pole know more about nutrition than most experts.

3: Feminism, more people working, increased work commutes. Miserable jobs. Poor parental upbringing (seriously, the amount of wans who can't toast toast is staggering like). No **** knows how to cook a good meal anymore.

That's why more and more of them are around.

Feminism. So, the cure is wimmin knowing their place and raising good Catholic families of ten on starvation wages?

A career making excuses for The Knights of Columbanus beckons.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Dude, you said yourself your Mammy had to stuff you with complan to get you up to a 'normal' weight, maybe you should just count yourself lucky you got the 'can't put on weight' deal and not the alternative.

Trust me I can put it on now, I just have to watch my diet and exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 23,305 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf whatever Mammy gave him didnt make him normal anyway.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Tbf whatever Mammy gave him didnt make him normal anyway.

We don't say "Mammy" round these parts

• Advertisement

Trust me I can put it on now, I just have to watch my diet and exercise

And do you get your diet and exercise motivation from sneering at overweight children?

Most people pick something a scrap less odious, but hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭susign

I've just been noticing tonnes of fat kids around lately. Like really fat. I find them rather unsightly. I'm not a bad person but I look at them and think how could anyone love that? When I was in school, in the 90s, I think there was one fat kid in my year. He used to get tonnes of sh*t over it too. I wonder if fat kids get bullied now or if everyone's just used to it? What can we do to stop more fat kids happening? Do you have a fat kid? How did it happen?

Please remove this horrible post, you're an adult

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I think the very serious question we need to ask ourselves is, have we reached peak fat kid?

And do you get your diet and exercise motivation from sneering at overweight children?

Most people pick something a scrap less odious, but hey.

Well I thought after hours is something where you discuss trivial things. I don't really think about fat kids often but I was just in the shop and there was one there buying a can of Monster energy drink and I thought I'd bring it up for discussion here. I wouldn't say I sneered at him, I just wanted to get away from him so I didn't have to look at him. I wonder how hard it is to get kids to diet nowadays?

thunderdog wrote: »
    I think the very serious question we need to ask ourselves is, have we reached peak fat kid?

Hell no. Surely it can only get worse?

It's depressing when people have absolutely no shame in referring to a kid as 'that' and calling kids unlovable if they're overweight.

Just when I thought AH couldn't hate kids and their parents more. So fat unlovable kids, and we get to blame the parents -and don't forget the feminists! - too! It's like a hat trick of nastiness.

No, I'm not a parent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Candie wrote: »
    It's depressing when people have absolutely no shame in referring to a kid as 'that' and calling kids unlovable if they're overweight.

Just when I thought AH couldn't hate kids and their parents more. So fat unlovable kids, and we get to blame the parents -and don't forget the feminists! - too! It's like a hat trick of nastiness.

No, I'm not a parent.
    I agree that it's up to the parents.
    That's about it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

bluewolf wrote:
    I agree that it's up to the parents. That's about it though

Definitely. When you see them caving in at the checkout so easily its not surprising the kid is usually fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

The food pyramid doesn't help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Carbohydrate and sugar consumption leads to fat kids.

There are:

1: More and more of these foods are readily available.

2: Nutritional advice is bolloxed and works off bullcrap assumptions. Your Granny and Granddad who were lean as a pole know more about nutrition than most experts.

3: Feminism, more people working, increased work commutes. Miserable jobs. Poor parental upbringing (seriously, the amount of wans who can't toast toast is staggering like). No **** knows how to cook a good meal anymore.

That's why more and more of them are around.
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,383 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Fat kids have always been around but there are probably more of them now.

I was a fat kid, and I mean proper lardarse fat, but by aged 15 I decided it was a problem and dealt with it.

Diet and exercise solve the problem in most cases.

Candie wrote: »

No, I'm not a parent.
    Don't you get it guys? It's edgy humour, people responding negatively to the OP just make him ROFL

It's like the hilarious fad that was 'happy slapping', but for the even more cowardly and pathetic.

vvv Prime example vvvv

Not stopping shovelling food into your cakehole is a medical condition now? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

I find them rather unsightly. I'm not a bad person but I look at them and think how could anyone love that?

Maybe all the fat kids could be rounded up and put in a concentration camp or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I believe to take such a nasty shot at such a vulnerable group, overweight children, the commentator must be lacking any kind of empathy and education.

A small number of children might have medical reasons for being overweight but the vast majority is down to the parents feeding them crappy food, snacks and fizzy drinks.

When we were kids we had our mother driven demented asking for coke. "There's plenty of coke in the taps" was her reply. We'd want nuggets and chips and get served up the Irish staple of meat, potatoes and veg.

The difference between then and now? My mother was a stay at home mother and was able to prepare proper meals. Plus there was no fast food outlets where we lived and it was cheaper to cook proper meals. These days parents are stressed from working and a lot just find it easier to give the kids what they want, rather than what they need. Plus most overweight kids have overweight parents who already have bad eating habits.

I can understand you taking issue with the tone of the op but the essence of it cannot be overlooked. If kids develop bad eating habits in childhood, it's going to be very hard for them to break them as adults. Parents are not doing their kids any favours by taking the easy option. They are setting them up for a lifetime of bad health. It really is worrying but I don't know how as a society we can address this.

The food pyramid doesn't help
    It certainly does not when you eat the entire pyramid.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    My mother was a stay at home mother and was able to prepare proper meals. Plus there was no fast food outlets where we lived and it was cheaper to cook proper meals. These days parents are stressed from working and a lot just find it easier to give the kids what they want, rather than what they need. Plus most overweight kids have overweight parents who already have bad eating habits.

I don't really get this. It takes about 20 minutes to cook a healthy meal. I do it nearly every day! We also got some crap, like findus crispy pancakes etc. I remember I used to eat 2 of those mini pizzas and a can of alpha-ghetti for lunch nearly every day, and there wasn't a pick on me. If I did that now I'd be massive. How much food must these kids actually eat? It must be a hell of a lot.

I wasn't a skinny kid but ate healthy and was active. What was going on there I wonder? Could it perhaps be something not as black and white as "eat better = not tubby"?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

The reason why so many kids and adults struggle with their weight in modern ireland? I think there are many reasons, but let's get one thing straight, nobody wants to be fat, and definitely not a kid, other kids aren't kind to a fat kid. I think the top two reasons are:
    1. Both parents have to work in most homes in Ireland today just to make ends meet, this means very little time for cooking decent, healthy, home cooked meals from basic ingredients.
    2. I think the second reason is the biggest one though - The food industry has been allowed get away with putting absolute ****e into our food for decades, enormous amounts of sugar and salt, trans fats, corn syrup, genetic modified wheat and other crops, over farming land so the nutritional value of our fruit and veg is a fraction of what it was a generation ago. And on top of this they are allowed to advertise this junk to our kids.

So while we all have to take responsibility for what we eat, I think we have been failed by governments allowing big food corporations to produce and market substandard crap as food.

I know the OP was trying to get a reaction with the original post and probably isn't serious but when I see an overweight kid I feel sad as I'm sure they don't want to be like that, and I'm also sure their parents don't want to see their kid overwight and bullied.

I think the first two steps to try and get a handle on obesity should be, first, reduce or eliminate all tax (or subsidise) on fruit, veg and meat, any reduction in tax intake would be paid for by the reduction in the health service bill. It should be far cheaper to eat healthy food than junk food. And secondly, ban advertising on unhealthy foods, just like with cigarettes and alcohol. I won't hold my breath though as big business are running the show so we can't effect the profits of these companies, now can we!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

In my aim to educate the masses instead of pointing you to the magical keys beneath your fingers, I take pity at your ignorance and beckon you forth into the word of knowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binge_eating_disorder

Not stopping shovelling food into your cakehole is a medical condition now? :confused:

Advertisement