Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat kids

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Theres more to it than that,maybe its all the crap added to foods nowadays is the issue??

AllForIt wrote:
    I agree with this point 100%. It's not lack of exercise that is the problem. It's the huge increase of calories that is the problem such that even if increased exercise was taken it wouldn't make much difference to one's weight. Slightly better but wouldn't solve the problem.

Whist will yea, it's called the 'Free market', since it has the word 'free' in it, it must be good for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nagnata

You might find them unsightly OP, and I guess there is now arguing with that, but you would have to admit nonetheless that more fat people do make the world a more jolly place. Which is to the benefit of all of us. The big, happy, joking kids, with even fat girls often being quite witty an funny too, who are happy in their own skin, does bring a positive vibe around them which rubs off on the rest off us and brings a little bit of sunshine to the world. Credit where its due.
    What a ridiculous post I know more jolly, funny and witty normal and skinny people then fatties. Lets be honest here If your kids are fat you're probably not fit to be a parent. I know lazy parents don't want to hear that but it's true. Of course it's not the parents fault? it's societies fault or health food is more expensive or other lame excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

If our government starts taxing cola and chocolate because the fat ****s in this country are too lazy to work off the calories I will seriously go on a rampage. These fat fcuks are clogging up the health service and costing us non fat fcuks money. Why aren't there fat camps? Boot camps don't work because I only ever see gym bunnies using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Carbs are "bad" because it's easy to eat too much of them.

I'd struggle to eat 2500 calories of steak. I could probably eat a whole loaf of bread though.

It's also what snacks tend to be comprised of, so carb-heavy food tends to lend itself to grazing.

It's purely calories in/calories out but the kind and quality of food will determine the best strategy for doing that.
    If you only eat food you cook yourself, don't eat processed food, sweets or fizzy drinks, there's only so much you'll manage to eat and it's unlikely you'll be more than a little overweight.

There's not really any excuse for not being able to do that. People can learn themselves from Youtube, books or the like and it's certainly cheaper than takeaways.
    A bit of effort from schools could go a long way to giving the base skills required that would demystify cooking and make it seem less daunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

I'm watching one of my own kids put on weight every week. Unfortunately, while they are normally very active in sports, a sports related injury necessitating surgery has made them basically immobile. The difference is incredible, it's like watching one of those sped-up nature films. No doubt the OP would be judging myself and mrs corm very harshly as parents.

Listen its not complex.

Adjust calorie intake accordingly.

In other words give your child less food.

Theres lots of information out there, read up. Boards has a nutrition forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You see loads of kids on my local shop every morning buying sausage rolls and other **** processed junk for their breakfasts. It's just mind boggling to me that there are parents that don't make sure their kids have a decent breakfast at home in the mornings and instead give them money to buy unhealthy crap.

I feel very sorry for fat kids but it is 100% their parents' fault. They are setting them up for a life of discomfort and being mocked as well as medical problems, all due to their own laziness or unwillingness to enforce any discipline. It's very hard for a fat kid to get the weight off, they basically have a lifetime of obesity ahead of them.

It's shockingly unfair on the poor kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Would any parent reading this thread admit they have an over weight child? Be honest with yourself...

I remember this woman I used to babysit for used to drop me home, her absolutely drunk, and we'd sit outside my house while she'd bawl for hours in the car about her obese 8 year old child and how she couldn't stop her eating.

I was like, I'm 15. I've spend the night minding your kids and studying for my Junior Cert, it's 3am on a Thursday and I've school soon. I'm very tired. Can I get out of the car now?

Said child (who I did love to bits) ended up with a severe eating disorder, she's all growed up now and hopefully doing well.

At the time though, she was just normal 8 year old chubby. Not actually at all obese I think her mother's distress over her weight probably had a lot more to do with the eating disorder than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

gizmo81 wrote:
    Obesity, like it's binary opposite Anorexia is a medical condition caused by a variety of reasons. Thyroid, Common Steroids for Asthma, Borderline Personality Disorder, Diabetes and so on can contribute.

Portion size, handing kids money instead of packed lunch for school, bars cakes sweets chocolate, never saying no cos then they might get mad with you or look disappointed and not be your friend.
    Parenting is very difficult, if you do it right. Its not easy to say no and hold fast. Kids are emotionally manipulative head fcuks. Say no and mean it. Don't buy the sweets juice fizzy drinks crisps bars biscuits. Cut the slice of cake small, put their dinner on a side plate cos they are little. Chips and pizza are a treat, take away is for special occasions and get the fook outside and run ya lazy asses.
    Modern parenting is giving in to them to make up for being at work 10 hours of the day.
    And turn off the tv and let them jump on the furniture. Bring back the good sitting room.
    Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

People are breaking up families and bringing the kids to the other side of the country so they can pursue a relationship with another man/woman.

Personally, I think something like that is completely selfish and quite disgusting, especially when it has this type of impact on the children and affects their health that way. What makes it worse is the same person will try justify it and dress it up as ok and workable. Even further selfish and you then end up with quite poor eating habits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

myshirt wrote: »
    People are breaking up families and bringing the kids to the other side of the country so they can pursue a relationship with another man/woman.
    Is that happening a lot? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Modern parenting is hard but you get on with it. Anytime I'm at my sister in laws it wrecks my head. Her kids literally have a sweet Press. She actually judges me and my wife for feeding our child properly. Her kids go through a ridiculous amount of rubbish but because they're not fat kids (yet) she has the "nothing wrong with my boys attitude". At the same time she rolls her eyes if we refuse our child to participate in the feeding fest her kids go through when we visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Combination of far more sedentary lifestyles, far more access to cheap, poor quality, high calorie food and Ireland being richer so people have more money to spend on perceived luxuries such as takeaways, extras in the shopping basket, more money for the kids.
    Also, many homes have both parents working outside the home meaning less oversight of their children's eating, asuaging guilt (misplaced probably) with "treats" , less time/inclination to cook every single day.

The "how can you love them" thing is reprehensible. That's what parents do : love their kids unconditionally- even if they make bad choices for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Fat kids.

I've just been noticing tonnes of fat kids around lately. Like really fat. I find them rather unsightly. I'm not a bad person but I look at them and think how could anyone love that? When I was in school, in the 90s, I think there was one fat kid in my year. He used to get tonnes of sh*t over it too. I wonder if fat kids get bullied now or if everyone's just used to it? What can we do to stop more fat kids happening? Do you have a fat kid? How did it happen?

Nature or nurture?

I think its a combination of the two.
    Genetics play a big part ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Is that happening a lot? :confused:

Yes, I would think so. More families are breaking down. Everyone loosely knows the concept that it affects kids, but not to the extent that we can deal with it as well as is required. More and more mental health and weight issues amongst kids today.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,361 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Education is a huge factor. I'd bet there is a strong link with the education of parents with fat kids and those with non fat kids.

If parents don't understand what certain foods do to their kids (through no fault of their own sometimes btw), then they need to be educated by the government in whatever form neccesary.

The simple fact is you will almost certainly die younger if you're obese.

RoboKlopp wrote: »

If parents don't understand what certain foods do to their kids (through no fault of their own sometimes btw)

That might have been the case in 1983 but there's no excuse for it these days.
    Lazy parenting, turning a blind eye to their children's size with the "he's a hefty lad alright". If anyone, including a doctor told a parent these days that their child is overweight then the parent will be highly insulted and become stupidly defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,361 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    That might have been the case in 1983 but there's no excuse for it these days.
    Lazy parenting, turning a blind eye to their children's size with the "he's a hefty lad alright". If anyone, including a doctor told a parent these days that their child is overweight then the parent will be highly insulted and become stupidly defensive.

Yeah true in a lot of cases alright.

While in other cases parents are just not educated and know what carbs, fats, proteins etc are. Also, does every parent know how much sugar is in the food they buy? I dobt it.

Funningly enough in 1983 there weren't too many obese people knocking about!

While in other cases parents are just not educated and know what carbs, fats, proteins etc are. Also, does every parent know how much sugar is in the food they buy? I dobt it.

Educating these people is what's needed no doubt. But can you see any parent going to a class to be told how to feed their child? They're too pig headed and defensive to admit they're doing it wrong.

As for sugar, I've often pointed out, in a friendly manner, the amount of sugar (in teaspoons) to a parent as they hand their child whatever rubbish, and they just laugh it off. I'm tellin ya, parents don't want to face the realisation of what they're doing to their kids cause it gives them comfort knowing their child is happy stuffing their little face with chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Back then the supermarkets were just starting off most small shops had every thing behind the counter and you had to ask the shopkeeper for what you wanted. Nowadays everything is shoved in your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Nagnata wrote: »
    What a ridiculous post I know more jolly, funny and witty normal and skinny people then fatties.

Of course there are jolly thin people too, but as a rule roly poly people are far more likely to have bubbly personalities, have a happy go lucky vibe to them, and just seem to be generally contented. You just dont really come across uptight, nervous, downbeat heavier people to the same degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eurasian

Disagree with the point that parents who are working long hours get too tired to cook real meals/eat healthier. Working hard and still feeding your family rubbish is a contradictory.

Cooking real meals is simple and cheaper than junky tins, kfcs and macs. I know it on from my own experience of being overweight in the past. I admitted I made bad excuses and decided to educate myself on basics of healthy eating and knowing what's good and what's bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

When I was young my parents had me involved in everything. Rugby, soccer, hurling, football, golf, tennis.

I hardly ever had an evening off during the week, there was a training session of some kind to attend.

Cross Country was another great thing down our way. A great way to achieve and maintain fitness.

I would encourage all parents to get their children involved in their local AC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

If our government starts taxing cola and chocolate because the fat ****s in this country are too lazy to work off the calories I will seriously go on a rampage.

Dunno if this is serious but for me personally, I don't care if my occasional can of coke is a bit more expensive. If these things are the sporadic treat they usually are for someone who isn't overweight, that's overall not going to hurt your wallet very much. And if you are a thin person that can get away with eating loads of crap, well, I'm struggling to find any sympathy there either.

Q: "Why should I have to more for my rubbishy foods?"
    A: "Because if you aren't having much of it, it will barely make much of a difference."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

It's complete denial too. I recently heard a parent of a 9 year old say that they find it difficult to find nice clothes age 13-14 as their "child takes a bigger size clothes" wtaf??!! Age 13-14 in clothes is too big for my 14 year old. No, your child is obese.

I was a fat child, longed to be normal like my brothers and sisters. Now children who are the size I was are seen as normal and children that were my brothers and sisters sizes are seen as scrawny, malnourished etc. Clothes manufacturers have helped to keep these parents in denial by increasing the size of their clothes. If you now have a normal weight child you usually have to go a few years younger to find clothes to fit them. I recently had to buy swimming togs for my 4 year old and ended up having to buy 18mts to 2 years size.

But it all starts just after the birth, breastfeeeding has been proved to be the most nutritional, healthy food for your baby yet the majority choose not to breastfeed. Many bottle fed babies are overweight before they even reach the age of one. If you want to change things we have to start at the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Sadb wrote: »
    But it all starts just after the birth, breastfeeeding has been proved to be the most nutritional, healthy food for your baby yet the majority choose not to breastfeed.

In Ireland, I don't think that's true actually.

Murrisk wrote: »
    Dunno if this is serious but for me personally, I don't care if my occasional can of coke is a bit more expensive. If these things are the sporadic treat they usually are for someone who isn't overweight, that's overall not going to hurt your wallet very much. And if you are a thin person that can get away with eating loads of crap, well, I'm struggling to find any sympathy there either.

Q: "Why should I have to more for my rubbishy foods?"
    A: "Because if you aren't having much of it, it will barely make much of a difference."

Does it work though? I don't think an few extra cent tax is going to significantly lower the consumption of rubbishy foods.

Education and spreading awareness is the key along with promoting an ethos of personal responsibility.

It's not the State's duty to mother us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Murrisk wrote: »
    In Ireland, I don't think that's true actually.

Unfortunately it is, we have one of the lowest breastfeeding rates in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

I was buying some clothes online for my kids during the week from an American site & noticed for the first time a new section under kids - "Plus Size". Obviously, America does have an obesity problem as do we here in Ireland.

Thankfully none of my kids are overweight, although they're fussy eaters, for the most part, they're so active I'm more concerned that they're not eating enough.

I personally was a chubby kid. I was more into computers than sport, felt insecure, as I got older my weight stayed more or less in line with my growth although I was always over. At my heaviest I was 230lb, I'm currently hovering around 182lb, I watch what I eat, don't drink excessively & try not to snack on junk. According to my BMI, I'm just inside obese. According to my doctor, I'm "maybe 7lb overweight & shouldn't be bothered with crap like BMI" (actual quote).

The main problem is a lack of scratch cooking with both parents working & an increase in the amount of processed/fast foods consumed combined with a reduction of time kids spend running around - my lot aren't allowed run in the yard in school for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Sadb wrote: »

But it all starts just after the birth, breastfeeeding has been proved to be the most nutritional, healthy food for your baby yet the majority choose not to breastfeed. Many bottle fed babies are overweight before they even reach the age of one. If you want to change things we have to start at the beginning.

Ummm... No.

While it's been proven to contribute greatly & influence all sorts of body chemistry, there's no outright report to say it's 100% the best thing you can do - if you can provide three totally independent reports to say it is, I'll publicly apologise to you.

For many babies, bottle feeding is the only option as:
    • Either the mother doesn't produce/produce enough milk.
    • The baby will fail to latch on.
    • After a surgical delivery, the mother is in no condition to breastfeed.

In all three of these scenarios (of which there are probably several more), bottle feeding is proven to be the most nutritional, healthy food for your baby.

Although I will concede that there is a percentage of mothers who prefer not to breastfeed for their own reasons which have nothing to do with the scenarios I've mentioned.

Advertisement