Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

14 team Pro 12 from 2017/2018??

• 30-06-2017 11:17am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had heard rumours of two S.A. teams joining the pro 12 but I had assumed we would be looking at 18/19 or 19/20 as a start date.

BBC is claiming it will start this season.

Getting a long haul airline partner to cover the cost of all teams travel must be crucial.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/40448854

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 fbse90

Please no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

Turkish fly to Port Elizabeth in partnership with comair and have already sponsored the ERC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I had heard rumours of two S.A. teams joining the pro 12 but I had assumed we would be looking at 18/19 or 19/20 as a start date.

BBC is claiming it will start this season.

Getting a long haul airline partner to cover the cost of all teams travel must be crucial.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/40448854

Excellent idea. Hopefully will bring some additional revenue into the League.

A couple of trips down to SA will be called for as well :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

already being discussed in the Pro12 thread

sioda wrote: »
    Turkish fly to Port Elizabeth in partnership with comair and have already sponsored the ERC

Port Elizabeth was ok, the bit I looked at anyway....

Never made it as far as Bloemfontein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

great idea - the tournament needs a bit more tough competition

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

thebaz wrote: »
    great idea - the tournament needs a bit more tough competition

Which they won't get from the Cheetahs or the Southern Kings...

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Quin_Dub wrote: »

I don't watch a whole lot of SR. Who are they comparable to - Edinburgh, Cardiff? Zebre!?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

turnikett1 wrote: »
    I don't watch a whole lot of SR. Who are they comparable to - Edinburgh, Cardiff? Zebre!?

The Southern Kings would be comparable to Zebre in the number of games they've won in Super Rugby I guess.

The Cheetas are somewhat better.

Its impossible to say though, the teams could be far stronger or far weaker.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Southern Kings would be comparable to Zebre in the number of games they've won in Super Rugby I guess.

The Cheetas are somewhat better.

Its impossible to say though, the teams could be far stronger or far weaker.

Given that neither side has any Bok internationals of note on their books I think we can make some educated guesses..

Also - Can't imagine they'll love a January fixture in the Sportsgrounds all that much!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Given that neither side has any Bok internationals of note on their books I think we can make some educated guesses..

Also - Can't imagine they'll love a January fixture in the Sportsgrounds all that much!!!

And their better players are getting contracts with the remaining s15 clubs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

They could easily get some of the guys in the NH though. Im excited about the prospect, I would rather a team from Canada/USA though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Pro12 will most likely be a step down for them, relative to the teams they usually play. Though they will also lose some players with this overhaul of the league. So I'd say it's reasonable to assume somewhere in the Dragons territory, with possible upside.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

well, lets just wait and see - SA rugby is in the doldrums , but has good depth , I'd be very surprised if either team is as weak Zebre - The Pro 12 certainly lacks depth, needs more competition or something to give it more value.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

26 games in the Pro14 + 6 European games = a 32 game regular season for 12 of the clubs :eek:

Bernard Jackman will be lacing his boots up come the end of the Dragons season!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,951 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I see the southern kings beat the jaguares in Argentina last night, 30-31.

If this is happening and they kept their players, both teams could turn out to be quite useful in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I see the southern kings beat the jaguares in Argentina last night, 30-31.

If this is happening and they kept their players, both teams could turn out to be quite useful in the league.

Hopefully.

Let's look at it in reverse, if Leinster The Scarlets and Munster were in Super Rugby, where would they finish?

I've been reading comparisons between the Kings and Zebre. I just don't buy that at all.

I asked the question yesterday and I think it was Buer who responded saying the two SA sides would challenge for the Play Offs. That seems about right to me.

bilston wrote: »
    I've been reading comparisons between the Kings and Zebre. I just don't buy that at all.

Because the Kings have only ever won 6 games in Super Rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

But would that be a reflection on the quality of the other teams, i.e. more competitive than many of the Pro 12 teams?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But would that be a reflection on the quality of the other teams, i.e. more competitive than many of the Pro 12 teams?

Probably a bit of both. Not a single Springbok there though as far as I know

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Kings haven't been in SR all that often.

Dont see why people are so down on this? With the addition of SA teams it means more money will be injected into the league.

The Italian have done nothing and bringing nothing to the league. At least the Welsh have started to pull themselves together as well

With the amount of talent in SA they are bound to be able to pull together a decent team, better than anything the Italians have put together so far

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I suppose if any of them are any use they might defect to Limerick, so there is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

7 wins now IBF!

But the obvious point is that Super Rugby is much stronger than the Pro 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

7 wins now IBF!

But the obvious point is that Super Rugby is much stronger than the Pro 12.

The New Zealand sides are much stronger than the Pro 12, the rest of the tournament wouldn't be much stronger if at all. Kings have only got their wins this year due to an easy schedule. There's no way they're as bad as Zebre, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were no better than the likes of Edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭swiwi_

A bit like a Kiwi heading to Oz to live raises the IQ of both countries, this could be a win-win I suppose. Super Rugby is bloated and these 2 teams are cannon fodder more often than not. But they could be better value than the cellar dwellers of the Pro 12.

Would they be eligible for Champions Cup if they finish high enough??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'd guess the two South African teams might finish between 6th and 0th in a 14 team league.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Dont see why people are so down on this? With the addition of SA teams it means more money will be injected into the league.

The Italian have done nothing and bringing nothing to the league. At least the Welsh have started to pull themselves together as well

With the amount of talent in SA they are bound to be able to pull together a decent team, better than anything the Italians have put together so far

They'll be better than the Italians but will probably be just mid table teams.

The league doesn't need anymore mid or lower table teams, we have enough of them as it is.

I'm not sure how much more TV money they'll bring in either.

Then you add in the lengthing of the regular season and it's bad for the quality of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Cheetahs just gone ahead of the Stormers in a very entertaining game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

http://m.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/40464201?platform=hootsuite

Interesting read. 800k pounds per team would be a great boost

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement