Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

14 team Pro 12 from 2017/2018??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

I find this whole discussion unlikely, and the reason for that is the fact it has never been fed to the media, nobody I know at the provinces knows anything about it, which makes the whole thing a bit of enormous speculation in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

From the official account of the now defunct PRO Rugby league in the US...

https://twitter.com/ProRugbyUSA/status/883142729756274689

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The number of teams is unfortunate for a conference system - having different numbers of home and away games is really not good.

The pro everyone league has got you covered
    http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/guinness-pro12/south-african-and-us-franchises-to-join-pro12-1-4491808

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

From the official account of the now defunct PRO Rugby league in the US...

https://twitter.com/ProRugbyUSA/status/883142729756274689

PRO Rugby is/was run by a cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Neil treacy has retweeted a statement about the cheetahs which says they have accepted an agreement regarding their super rugby status and will look at other international competitions options

• Advertisement

Cheetahs and Kings officially out of super rugby.

193hrs of driving to the Free State Rugby Stadium from Ireland.
    That would be some trip

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rocko

Wouldn't the weather n Bloemfontein b crazy hot during d pro 12/14 season as it'll b summer there

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Rocko wrote: »
    Wouldn't the weather n Bloemfontein b crazy hot during d pro 12/14 season as it'll b summer there

I would imagine they'll play the bulk of their away games during the height of their summer to reduce travel costs and avoid games in crazy weather.

There will still surely be some matches in some pretty intense conditions though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Statement on SA union website seems to confirm that both the Kings and Cheetahs are going somewhere anyway:
    http://www.sarugby.co.za/article.aspx?category=sarugby/superrugby&id=4060234

The whole thing is mental.

• Advertisement

Actually, interestingly, one thing that didn't occur to me but the chances of some altitude and warm weather training mid season would be opened up by having to travel to SA anyway. You really want a couple of weeks to get the full benefit of altitude is the only thing.

Some absolutely outstanding training and performance centres near Bloemfontein and Pretoria.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Actually, interestingly, one thing that didn't occur to me but the chances of some altitude and warm weather training mid season would be opened up by having to travel to SA anyway. You really want a couple of weeks to get the full benefit of altitude is the only thing.

Some absolutely outstanding training and performance centres near Bloemfontein and Pretoria.

That is interesting. It'd also make sense if they did back to back away games for sides where possible, which might make those camps a more realistic possibility.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

That is interesting. It'd also make sense if they did back to back away games for sides where possible, which might make those camps a more realistic possibility.

It has to be back-to-back. Even if only to make flights cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think I broke this down earlier, but only 6 teams (in either two conference format) will have away games against both South Africans in a given year. So assume those 6 teams do mini-tours to South Africa. The other 6 teams will only have away games against one of the South African teams. Those 6 fixtures could be done in Allianz Park or alternative.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I think I broke this down earlier, but only 6 teams (in either two conference format) will have away games against both South Africans in a given year. So assume those 6 teams do mini-tours to South Africa. The other 6 teams will only have away games against one of the South African teams. Those 6 fixtures could be done in Allianz Park or alternative.

Well we have no idea what the format will be yet. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

irish times article confirming 2 groups of 7 with 3 rounds of interpro's, also teams to recieve financial compensation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

typhoony wrote: »
    irish times article confirming 2 groups of 7 with 3 rounds of interpro's, also teams to recieve financial compensation

What about season ticket holders?

How will three rounds of inter-pros work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

PRO Rugby is/was run by a cowboy.

Well aware of that, just thought it was interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

What about season ticket holders?

How will three rounds of inter-pros work?

Any extra games now will just have to be sold separate to the season ticket. Season ticket holders might get first dibs, but it gives the provinces the opportunity to come up with some decent offers to attract new fans. Kids for a quid or something like that...undoubtedly wishful thinking on my part.

Obviously if there are fewer games than previously advertised then that's a problem that so be hard to overcome.

I'm not exactly sure why, but this is seeming more and more like its going to be a disaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm not exactly sure why, but this is seeming more and more like its going to be a disaster

We just have to wait and see how it works out. I think they need to have as an uncomplicated format as possible. By the sounds of things that isn't going to happen and that worries me. The Super 12 and subsequently Super 14 worked because it was easy to understand, now it's a complete mish mash and it has suffered as a result. Now for the likes of us who are rugby mad etc we will no doubt get to grips with it but for casual fans it could prove a turn off.

But let's wait and see.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

A 15 game tournament when fans have already paid for a 22 game tournament. Unless there's cross conference games there'll be uproar over that.

molloyjh wrote: »
    A 15 game tournament when fans have already paid for a 22 game tournament. Unless there's cross conference games there'll be uproar over that.

As a Leinster season ticket holder for many a long year I can tell you that it doesn't bother me at all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

As a Leinster season ticket holder for many a long year I can tell you that it doesn't bother me at all

Paying the same amount for less doesn't bother you? Fair enough. It would bother most people I'd imagine.

Paying the same amount for less doesn't bother you? Fair enough. It would bother most people I'd imagine.

Sure half the games are pure muck anyway. If the South Africans are competitive then yeah I'd rather see them than Dragons or the Italians

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Irish Times article
    The league would be split into two conferences of seven with the loss of home match revenue covered by three rounds of inter-provincials – the Irish provinces currently play each other twice, home and away – despite the congestion this would cause in an already well stocked fixture list.

The top three sides in each conference would progress to the play-offs in a similar situation to the French league whereby the top two teams would be waiting in the semi-finals.

Not liking the whole Conference thing at all..not at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

There must be. The IT article refers to more fixture congestion so I guess it will happen.
    - two games against each team in your own conference
    - one against each team in the other
    - three additional interpros
    Is 22 matches.

The obvious problem is that if the extra interpros are basically friendlies, will anyone care?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Irish Times article

Not liking the whole Conference thing at all..not at all

Third round of interpros could be double header in aviva potentially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Third round of interpros could be double header in aviva potentially

Too many interpros will see them lose some significance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement