Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

trellheim wrote: »
    A: Not all do, the corporate booking system I have to use for work definitely does not.

B: Yep it was still an embraer.

So check on the BA website and then book on your corporate website

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Kev11491 wrote: »
    132euro return for a weekend in July with checked bag included. Not bad at all.
    Et have crazy checked luggage allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sandbelter

Buy way of an update on the EI/AA Joint venture application.

DOT have declined Jetblue's request to consolidate Bluesky's (Delta/Virgin/AF-KL) and Oneworld joint venture requests.

This is a positive in the step for JV approval, but appear to have a number of months still to go.

Source: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=DOT-OST-2008-0252-3435

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

After a tip off on a Facebook post, and doing some research myself, it appears the following flights will be operated by a Lufthansa A340-300

LH 978 09:55 Frankfurt - Dublin 11:00
    LH 979 12:10 Dublin - Frankfurt 15:15

Wednesday only.

Does anyone know why Lufthansa are putting a 340 on that day only? That flight is normally an A321. Seems strange. Also how likely is it to actually happen.

First date is 3/7/2019 and runs until 23/10/2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭VG31

How long has it been since Dublin last had a scheduled A340 service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

bikeman1 wrote: »
    After a tip off on a Facebook post, and doing some research myself, it appears the following flights will be operated by a Lufthansa A340-300

LH 978 09:55 Frankfurt - Dublin 11:00
    LH 979 12:10 Dublin - Frankfurt 15:15

Wednesday only.

Does anyone know why Lufthansa are putting a 340 on that day only? That flight is normally an A321. Seems strange. Also how likely is it to actually happen.

First date is 3/7/2019 and runs until 23/10/2019.

Apparently that flight gets lots of group bookings during summer peak so they decided to add extra capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cojamocork

Looks like Hainan are ceasing the Dublin to Beijing route. I was certain we'd see this route stick around, especially considering many capitals in Europe have a direct Beijing connection that don't seem like the usual subjects (Budapest, Warsaw, Kyiv etc). https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status/1125848899892142080

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

VG31 wrote: »
    How long has it been since Dublin last had a scheduled A340 service?

I seem to remember a TAP A340 every Saturday around the early 2000s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

cojamocork wrote: »
    Looks like Hainan are ceasing the Dublin to Beijing route. I was certain we'd see this route stick around, especially considering many capitals in Europe have a direct Beijing connection that don't seem like the usual subjects (Budapest, Warsaw, Kyiv etc). https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status/1125848899892142080

The Chinese economy is really in turmoil at the moment as Trump is turning the screw even tighter on them. They have responded by ramping up Aircraft carrier production, they have the mother of all debt crises and the Communist Party is heavily censoring things there at the mother beyond normal levels of censorship. I am not surprised by this at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

That is sad to hear. I haven't had an excuse to go to Beijing since it launched. I did try booking trips for others elsewhere in China and Hainan is not good for connecting flights. Also, the whole shared service with Edinburgh is messy, so picking direct & non-stop flights is a pain.

A lot of internal flights go from a smaller Beijing airport which is to merge into the new one. Hainan's network is small in comparison to the larger Chinese carriers. And when they do have international connections, I found it very hard to get fares like dub-pek-hnd.

I was hoping things might change with the new Daxing airport opening in September and would like the halt in bookings to be related to that somehow. Fingers crossed but not hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

I seem to remember a TAP A340 every Saturday around the early 2000s

Remember that well too, Gulf Air came after TAP but not sure if the A340 was scheduled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Gulf Air was scheduled, though they generally used A330s. The Air Portugal A340s were package holiday charters to Faro so not scheduled as such. Turkish have very occasionally used an A340 on their scheduled services where extra capacity was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Great demand on the new Norwegian route from Dublin to Hamilton (near Toronto). Over 90% load factor in April. Didn’t realize that Norwegian carried 250K passengers transatlantic from Dublin airport last year. Sounds like an impressive number.

https://www.irishcentral.com/travel/travel-tips/norwegian-air-toronto-to-ireland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Great demand on the new Norwegian route from Dublin to Hamilton (near Toronto). Over 90% load factor in April. Didn’t realize that Norwegian carried 250K passengers transatlantic from Dublin airport last year. Sounds like an impressive number.

https://www.irishcentral.com/travel/travel-tips/norwegian-air-toronto-to-ireland
    Would the load factor be high due to the fact they reduced the frequency of what was originally scheduled?

Locker10a wrote: »
    Would the load factor be high due to the fact they reduced the frequency of what was originally scheduled?

Not sure but it seems to be 4 times per week which is quite frequent and particularly when you consider the route only started about a month ago and April is hardly peak season for travel (Easter excluded). Certainly a very good start with the route

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Not sure but it seems to be 4 times per week which is quite frequent and particularly when you consider the route only started about a month ago and April is hardly peak season for travel (Easter excluded). Certainly a very good start with the route

Original plan was for daily service using the MAX so the 7 services per week have been consolidated into 4 services on a 737-800NG. If it wasn’t a high load factor it would be worrying but with that 90% load factor its hard to determine if the initial daily service was a stretch or actually filled a demand.

Either way good for Norwegian not to be losing too much on this route due to the MAX issues, though Cork and Shannon’s routes regularly had high load factors but were unprofitable so not an indication, all comes down to yield and the price you can charge for tickets, you could have a 100% load factor if you only charged €10 for tickets but would give no indication of profitability.

Norwegian in general certainly seem to start off with loss making fares in order to gain market share and recognition, just have to hope their strategy pays off in the long term to allow them to be around to charge enough to cover the costs of running the flights.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

NH2013 wrote: »
    Original plan was for daily service using the MAX so the 7 services per week have been consolidated into 4 services on a 737-800NG. If it wasn’t a high load factor it would be worrying but with that 90% load factor its hard to determine if the initial daily service was a stretch or actually filled a demand.

Either way good for Norwegian not to be losing too much on this route due to the MAX issues, though Cork and Shannon’s routes regularly had high load factors but were unprofitable so not an indication, all comes down to yield and the price you can charge for tickets, you could have a 100% load factor if you only charged €10 for tickets but would give no indication of profitability.

Norwegian in general certainly seem to start off with loss making fares in order to gain market share and recognition, just have to hope their strategy pays off in the long term to allow them to be around to charge enough to cover the costs of running the flights.

Historically Norwegian aren’t good at yield management on new routes and long haul stuff anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

An undeniably good start for Norwegian, clearly helped by Easter and the frequency reduction but a 90% load is very strong for the first month of operation.

Despite this apparent success, the route will still see a further frequency reduction in peak summer to just three weekly before it’s suspended in mid September. The MAX issues obviously play a role sadly.

I must admit I’ve become a little wary when Norwegian release individual route performance, especially so early...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Booking reopened

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status/1126514209062248449

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Good to see, would be a shame to lose the route so soon, especially after it opened to so much fanfare.

Maybe something to do with their new airport which I think is due to open in September

Good to see, would be a shame to lose the route so soon, especially after it opened to so much fanfare.

Maybe something to do with their new airport which I think is due to open in September

It was never cancelled. That twitter page works off reading data loaded into travel agent websites I believe. It is HIGHLY likely the winter Hainan schedule hadn’t been loaded at the time they read it.

It is not unusual for them to report multiple changes within a day or two. They quite often tweet info and include a health warning with the tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭VG31

It was never cancelled. That twitter page works off reading data loaded into travel agent websites I believe. It is HIGHLY likely the winter Hainan schedule hadn’t been loaded at the time they read it.

I'm fairly sure flights were bookable for the winter a while ago. They must have been temporarily removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Is the Dublin to Providence route is back up and running in a different aircraft?

Wikipedia seems to suggest that the route is still operating from Dublin but the one from Cork is suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

TK Lemon wrote: »
    Is the Dublin to Providence route is back up and running in a different aircraft?

Wikipedia seems to suggest that the route is still operating from Dublin but the one from Cork is suspended.

Operated by Norwegian 738 with reduced capacity. Only suspended for a couple of days at the start of the Max groundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

TK Lemon wrote: »

The DUB-PVD route never stopped, however Cork and Shannon lost their flights, and hence were amalgamated to Dublin. (As much as possible)

April numbers +7% for April at Dublin Airport. Really impressive growth continues. I was at the airport Friday and yesterday and it was packed in terminal 2

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/new-april-record-with-2.8-million-passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

April numbers +7% for April at Dublin Airport. Really impressive growth continues. I was at the airport Friday and yesterday and it was packed in terminal 2

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/new-april-record-with-2.8-million-passengers

344,000 passengers to North America. 171,000 connections. It's a safe bet that most connecting passengers are headed to North America, meaning that almost 50% of TATL traffic is now using Dublin as a connecting hub. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I scanned the fourm and could not find an answer so hopefully i am not going over old ground. The bluebird flight that comes in from iceland every evening is it mainly empty and just here to pick up freight here such as fresh food or would it be bringing in freight as well such as fish ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Nijmegen wrote: »
    344,000 passengers to North America. 171,000 connections. It's a safe bet that most connecting passengers are headed to North America, meaning that almost 50% of TATL traffic is now using Dublin as a connecting hub. Amazing.

Really nice to see that blossoming is it just the precleance that is making this option attractive for people or is Dublin seen as a nicer airport to transfer in by seasoned travelers due to being a lot smaller then a Heathrow or schipol

Advertisement