Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Summer Sale 2017

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Billy86 wrote: »
    First year with a gaming capable PC for this... for something that such a big deal is made of, is the steam summer sale always this much of a let down? Very, very, very little grabbed my attention to be honest.
    Hasn't been any good since 2013/2014

• Registered Users Posts: 9,146 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Once they dropped daily deals (because they introduced refunds), I lost interest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hollow Knight........that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I don't understand the explanation for removing the good sale prices. 'they couldn't keep track of the price you paid if it was heavily reduced'?. Surely their system will be able to tell the exact price you paid when you bought it regardless of the sale..
    Or do they think refunds have hurt their profits?

double post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,146 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

eyerer wrote: »
    I don't understand the explanation for removing the good sale prices. 'they couldn't keep track of the price you paid if it was heavily reduced'?. Surely their system will be able to tell the exact price you paid when you bought it regardless of the sale..
    Or do they think refunds have hurt their profits?
    If someone bought a game on day 1 of the sale and the game then got a bigger discount on day 4, they'd probably look for a refund. It'd be a pain for Steam to have to work around that sort of thing.

The current set up is working well for Steam. They've claimed that more people are buying games now that the prices are fixed for the duration of the sale. This is understandable, no one is waiting to see if a game drops further. It makes sense, it's just boring to me now.

The rise of reseller sites (legit or otherwise) also take the shine off things. You don't have to wait too long for a sale to pop up somewhere, oftentimes cheaper than Steam sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If someone bought a game on day 1 of the sale and the game then got a bigger discount on day 4, they'd probably look for a refund. It'd be a pain for Steam to have to work around that sort of thing.

The current set up is working well for Steam. They've claimed that more people are buying games now that the prices are fixed for the duration of the sale. This is understandable, no one is waiting to see if a game drops further. It makes sense, it's just boring to me now.

The rise of reseller sites (legit or otherwise) also take the shine off things. You don't have to wait too long for a sale to pop up somewhere, oftentimes cheaper than Steam sales.

I compare everything I get on Steam to reseller sites, some games I got were nearly 90% cheaper then the steam sale price.

That makes sense, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

...and it's all over. My final haul was ;
    • Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster
    • Final Fantasy XIII
    • Divinity: Original Sin
    • Divinity: Dragon Commander
    Between the €5 Paypal credit and selling a bunch of cards, total spend was about €30 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Bought nothing.

Eventually, they'll run out of things to sell to all these game hoarders.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

I got the Witcher 3 GOTY edition, 48 GBs....still downloading it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

First time in years that I didn't buy anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The only game I bought during the sale was Battlegrounds and that wasn't even on sale :D

First time in years I haven't bought a game in the Steam summer sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

The only game I bought during the sale was Battlegrounds and that wasn't even on sale :D

First time in years I haven't bought a game in the Steam summer sale.

i still have €50 in my wallet that i bought with the paypal deal and nothing i want to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Bought a few bits and pieces but nothing major. The change in sale format, and the rise of other etailers has certainly taken the gloss off the sale. It didn't help matters that a few of the discounts were actually smaller than in previous Steam sales! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ended up buying nothing myself. I think Humble and the removal of daily specials has killed the Steam sale as we knew them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Bought Horizons for Elite Dangerous,really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I only bought one game - Shadow of Mordor GOTY for less than €4. Almost pulled the trigger on a few others but reminded myself they'll be the same price or lower at Christmas.

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was my first steam sale, was very disappointing. Only picked up Portal 2 and Dishonored, both very cheap.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I got a few that had been sitting on my wishlist for a while.

Shadow Warrior, Dragon's Dogma, Kentucky Route Zero, Shadowrun Returns, Life is Strange and Don't Starve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Jacovs

ionapaul wrote: »
    I only bought one game - Shadow of War GOTY for less than €4. Almost pulled the trigger on a few others but reminded myself they'll be the same price or lower at Christmas.

Shadow of mordor?
    Otherwise I've missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Syphonax wrote: »
    I got the Witcher 3 GOTY edition, 48 GBs....still downloading it :(

Jut finished downloading myself, took all week nearly 24/7 :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Only bought

Shadow of Mordor,
    Sunless Sea,
    Life is Strange,
    Genital Jousting

Steam sales are ****e since they removed the flash sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Jut finished downloading myself, took all week nearly 24/7 :mad::mad::mad:
    The GOG one is 41GB if I recall but downloaded at 10+mbps for me, so only maybe an hour or two. I have never get above 5ish mbps otherwise but some games on Steam do to for some reason which is odd... but I'm not complaining! :confused::D

Either way, you could tackle this game 30 hours a week for the next two months and still have some stuff left, so it'll be worth it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the Sticker Showcase will expire in 2 weeks

AnDWxG7.png

Advertisement