Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Summer Sale 2017

Options
  • 20-06-2017 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

Starts on Thursday at 6pm GMT. I am hoping they mix it up a little this year with a mini-game or something. Logging in to take a look at the deals is a little underwhelming when there isn't much surprise or change within a 24 hour cycle. There are steam cards to collect for the summer badge as these have started to appear already.

Now for the art:

420357.jpg

0b8.jpg

steam-summer-sale-and-not-waiting-for-flash-sales-119381.jpg

Helpful tips:
    • Only buy games you want to play right now. Seriously, there will be more sales in the future.
    • Always be there for the 18:00 changeover as there is a chance you could get a game incredibly cheap due to mistakes in the discounting.
    • Sometimes buying 4 packs can give you the chance to trade spare copies for other games. N.B. Not sure if this still works with the new rule below.
    • If in doubt, but you know its a great deal, buy the game as a 'Gift' and leave it in your inventory until you know you will play it. If you don't play it, then you still have the option to trade it for something you will play.
    • This rule has changed now. You can no longer buy a game to store in your inventory. You either buy it and it goes straight on to your account, or you gift it to someone directly (or at a specific time).

Alternative places to purchase digital games and useful for comparison:

Note: Some of these sites may be less legitimate than others. Not throwing around speculation, but as ever, be careful and read reviews before transgressing GabeN's will.

Personally, I am looking to pick up some DLC and a couple of smaller titles like: Little Nightmares, Ori and the Blind Forest, Night in the Woods, SUPERHOT, Vanquish, and Valley.

What are you looking out for?

Comments

Always, and I mean always shop around, you may get some bargains on the steam sale, but please look around, you can find games cheaper on sites like humble, cdkeys, greenmangaming.

Use IsThereAnyDeal to compare prices, or Allkeyshop.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Make sure you've got Enhanced Steam plugged into your browser, that should sort you right out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

+1 on Enhanced Steam add-on for you browser. Here's a link;
    https://enhancedsteam.com/

As for recommendations, look out for Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen in the sale, probably 60% off but might be 66%.
    I just picked it up in the GOG sale and it's pretty awesome, a great port with unique combat and gameplay.
    Kinda like Skyrim meets Dark Souls meets DMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Most of the games on my wishlist are pretty new, so I don't expect any great discounts for them. If any of the older titles on it get a decent discount, I'll bite, but only because I've a few quid in my Steam wallet from previous birthday gifts, selling cards etc. Once the wallet runs dry, I can't see myself buying much on Steam itself anymore.

Also hoping for some sale-related shenanigans though. Maybe some ARG that inadvertently gets everyone's hopes up that HL3 is coming, only for them to be dashed on the last day of the sale when it's revealed that it was all about getting another badge for your profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'll be keeping my eye on PUBG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I'm hoping for a good discount on Nier Automata. Was gonna get it for PS4 as it's only €35 in Argos but held off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hoping Earth Defence Force gets heavily discounted so I can gift it to friends for Co op play.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

Is it still possible to buy as a gift and send to yourself? Wanted to do this the other day but it only gave a list of friends as possible receivers of the gift. Maybe I'm blind though.

No, they changed the whole gifting system recently. You either buy to add directly to your account, or send immediately to the gift recipient. So no more storing games in your inventory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Zith wrote: »
    Is it still possible to buy as a gift and send to yourself? Wanted to do this the other day but it only gave a list of friends as possible receivers of the gift. Maybe I'm blind though.

No, I just checked. When you select the 'Purchase as a Gift' option you are then brought to a screen and you must select who you want to send it to (your own account is not in that list of people either).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You can also get £5 off a £20 purchase on Steam when you pay with Paypal, you need to activate it so it is on your account, you can do that now and it is good until the 5th of July. It is listed as for Uk only but no harm in trying it.

https://www.paypal.com/gb/webapps/mpp/offers?view=details&offerId=XRXGCRUFQMATS

Tried it yesterday, and couldn't get it to work.

But Monotype posted this over in the More Gaming Bargains thread, and it does work. Basically the same offer in Euros (Spanish PayPal, but it worked for me).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hoping for trails too be discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shaneob86

shaneob86 wrote: »

The French one said I had already used it (although I thought it was the Spanish one I used earlier), but the German and Austrian ones worked! So this will be a cheaper sale than usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shaneob86

The French one said I had already used it (although I thought it was the Spanish one I used earlier), but the German and Austrian ones worked! So this will be a cheaper sale than usual!

Think Spanish and French are the same coupon

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Must try the paypal thing.

Looking for Inside, Firewatch and Resident Evil 0. Firewatch is currently on sale on PS4 so which gets the better price

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

treid a few of the paypal sites and it says im not eligble for the offer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Once 24K of vouchers have been picked up the offer ends, I'm assuming once it hit Reddit they got used up very fast.

I could only manage the £5 one so I will have to see if that works on checkout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Not too much that I'm interested in at the moment.
    Prey looks alright but I doubt that'll drop much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Noxin wrote: »
    Not too much that I'm interested in at the moment.
    Prey looks alright but I doubt that'll drop much.

Considering how it has almost dropped off the radar so quickly, I reckon you will see it at 50% off. A really good game, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Hoping for trails too be discounted.

You can pick it up for under a Euro on allkeyshop.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Damn you im not finished GOT yet.

:pac:

Hurry up 6pm. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Hurry up 6pm. :D

Just bought a new PC. I'll be picking out one or two games. Then....nothing....saving cash.

Haha. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa! :pac:

• Advertisement

Hmmm. Does anyone know when the next Humble Monthly is released? I don't want to buy stuff on the Steam sale only to receive it as part of the HM bundle for July.... I'd have to give the duplicates away and be all charitable n shit.

Advertisement