Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Japan

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Subpopulus wrote: »
    Just looking through the stats there - Earls has now scored 9 tries this year (2016-2017), which is a new Irish record for one season. It was previously held by Dennis Hickie who scored 8 tries in 2003-2004.

Earls has now scored 26 tries for Ireland, still the fourth-highest all-time try-scorer, but it looks like he'll be up to second spot before long, assuming Tommy Bowe's Irish career doesn't miraculously take off again.

Irish all-time try scorers
    BOD: 46
    Bowe: 30
    Hickie: 29
    Earls: 26
    Horgan: 21
    And he's only played 61 Tests, less than half BOD's. So his ratio is better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

His ratio is better is better but if you break it down into tries v Top 6 teams (NZ, SA, Oz, Eng, Fra, Wal) and tries v The Rest than BOD's stats are much much better.

Only 6 of Earl's tries have been against top 6 teams compared to 25 of BOD's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Thought Healy had a great game, looking forward to the battle for the LH jersey next season. Don't think McGrath is at the same level as a year ago.

Conan and Leavy seem to be developing a very good understanding, they link up very well, probably the two best ball handlers in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

CatFromHue wrote: »
    His ratio is better is better but if you break it down into tries v Top 6 teams (NZ, SA, Oz, Eng, Fra, Wal) and tries v The Rest than BOD's stats are much much better.

Only 6 of Earl's tries have been against top 6 teams compared to 25 of BOD's
    Yeah but I'd imagine BOD also played a lot more games against the Big Six than Earls has. Not saying he'd get in the team ahead of BOD mind you :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

back to the Earls to 13 debate again is it

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

.ak wrote: »
    I'm not criticising him taking the carrier, that's right, but as the ball was being shipped left he needed to come into the line and take the last man, otherwise it was always going to be open country for the winger. He just stood in the pocket and watched the ball hit the overlap.[/QUOT

At that part of the pitch (around the 10-metre line) the full back is not going to be up in the line. All he could do in that 3-on-one situation is hit the ball-carrier (the outside man) and just hope that somebody else can get the receiver inside. We were down to 14 men at that stage too which probably exacerbated matters!

Toner with a show and go, 30 metre line break. What a time to be alive.

Anybody know when this was in the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

LividAgreeableChafer-size_restricted.gif

Behold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,569 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Ringrose ****ing it all up there at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Referee should have given a yellow card for a deliberate knock on instead of scrum advantage which he called over once the ball went through a few passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Behold

Glorious :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Behold

Reminds me of the first Guardians of the Galaxy when Groot is running.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    Referee should have given a yellow card for a deliberate knock on instead of scrum advantage which he called over once the ball went through a few passes.

Exactly. Guaranteed try had it not been knocked on. It's not like he was attempting a tackle or anything either.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

I love how the first Japanese tackler can't even get his hand over Toner's shoulder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Subpopulus wrote: »
    I love how the first Japanese tackler can't even get his hand over Toner's shoulder

Anybody else he'd have taken their head off.

It was lovely composure by Toner with the timing of the pass to Ringrose. Nice play by Leavy too, he's excellent at exploiting space around the ruck.

shuffol wrote: »
    Anybody else he'd have taken their head off.

It was lovely composure by Toner with the timing of the pass to Ringrose. Nice play by Leavy too, he's excellent at exploiting space around the ruck.

I started the gif a little late to see it, but that was off a turnover that Leavy and Healy won together by pushing Japan off the ball as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Buer wrote: »

He still ****ed it up. As an international centre he has to have better awareness of his surrounding. The inside pass was covered. The man outside him had a free run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

He still ****ed it up. As an international centre he has to have better awareness of his surrounding. The inside pass was covered. The man outside him had a free run.

very harsh - no matter what the level these are split second decisions - wrong option chosen - granted internationals should make less wrong options than rest - but sometimes anyone can get in wrong - even BOD did in his prime.

• Advertisement

Ringrose must have pissed in your cornflakes at some point in time. Goes back to his breakthrough into the Leinster team, desperate nit picking.

Good to see the young lads getting another run out this weekend. Definitely seems to be a few guys who were along to make up the numbers though.

Will be very interested in seeing Treadwell getting a good run from the start.

Ringrose must have pissed in your cornflakes at some point in time. Goes back to his breakthrough into the Leinster team, desperate nit picking.

He just wants him to be as good as he can be..

obvBZHK.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Ireland: (15-9) A Conway; K Earls, G Ringrose, L Marshall, J Stockdale; P Jackson, K Marmion;
    (1-8) C Healy, J Tracy, J Ryan, K Treadwell, D Toner, R Ruddock (capt), J Conan, J van der Flier.
    Replacements: (16-23) N Scannell, D Kilcoyne, A Porter, J Ryan, S Reidy; J Cooney, R Scannell, T O’Halloran

Zebo, McGrath and Leavy not considered due to injury

You'd have to feel a bit for Killer.

Great stuff, this tour has been fantastic for player development.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,855 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

JJ leaving out a lot of his gaijins and experienced players.

This could be a big win for Ireland if they put their minds into it.

Great stuff, this tour has been fantastic for player development.

Only to a degree. Lot's of those guys won't get any or many more caps and there is usually as much waste as development on these tours.

Not suggesting it's a bad thing and this is the best selection I've ever seen for a tour like this given that some 2nd / 3rd choice options were left behind so that selectors could take a punt on some of the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

So who from the tour is most likely to kick on and gain more caps in the near future? I'd imagine Conan has definitely put his hand up. And Stockdale and Treadwell (depending on this weekend) due to lack of depth in their positions will be in the mix.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I put 4 pounds on James Ryan being capped again at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I put 4 pounds on James Ryan being capped again at some stage

I'm a little embarrassed I forgot to mention him.

Find it a bit strange the Healy and John Ryan get to start all 3 matches, was sure Killer would get a go in at least one game and why not let Porter show what he can, he's out there anyway. Curious to see how the lineout goes with JT at the helm. I say, see, but not a hope am I getting up for the match, highlights will have to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

leakyboots wrote: »
    Find it a bit strange the Healy and John Ryan get to start all 3 matches, was sure Killer would get a go in at least one game and why not let Porter show what he can, he's out there anyway. Curious to see how the lineout goes with JT at the helm. I say, see, but not a hope am I getting up for the match, highlights will have to do :)

Rotating two new hookers and second rows so having same props is logical IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't think Kilcoyne is ever going to be a key player for Ireland. John Ryan is already the established backup TH but needs the starts. There's plenty of time for Porter.

Hooker is an interesting position going forward. 2017-18 is likely to be Rory Best's final season and unless there's a 6N title at play he should be phased out.

That's an incredibly harsh view of it. When he gets the ball, he has two defenders in front of him in almost identical positions; one to his left and one to his right. If he gives the ball right, McGrath has a winger to beat still. If the pass goes inside the man who knocks it on is out of the picture and the winger has a lot of ground to make up.

It's a split second decision and both are equally likely to result in a try but for foul play from a defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The inside pass was not "covered". It was blocked down illegally. Both options were good options.

420493.jpg

• Advertisement

I think it's a case of us having a lot of depth in the forwards already so Joe looking for a platform up front to allow an inexperienced back line play some rugby.

In terms of who kicks on, it really depends on a couple of things. Who will get to play against the best opposition, who will get the best coaching / mentoring, who will have a good injury profile, who will have the right level of competition for jerseys etc etc.

I think Porter has a good shout as he seems to be a bit of a specimen and Furlong will be away a lot of the season. It's an area we've limited depth.

I'm glad Furlong has had Lions exposure as he'll learn a lot with Ross gone.

I think Stockdale could be our new Tommy Bowe in the coming two seasons.

molloyjh wrote: »
    The inside pass was not "covered". It was blocked down illegally. Both options were good options.

420493.jpg

Both passes were equally covered. It's impossible to know that the Japanese player would illegally knock the ball on to block the pass going left and also impossible to know that the Japanese player on the other side wouldn't have done that same.

I think it's a case of us having a lot of depth in the forwards already so Joe looking for a platform up front to allow an inexperienced back line play some rugby.

I think its also a case of both Healy and Ryan being Lions contenders should there be an injury in New Zealand

I guess I meant more in terms of the overall tour, not just this game. Anyway, a moot point

I think its also a case of both Healy and Ryan being Lions contenders should there be an injury in New Zealand

Also true. When you look at Marler's performance against the Chiefs you've to feel a bit sorry for Healy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I guess I meant more in terms of the overall tour, not just this game. Anyway, a moot point

I'm definitely of the opinion that he has picked certain positions for development and certain positions for experience. Prop has been decided as an experience position so he keeps it the same and gives other players a chance to play with a first choice 23 unit.

Also true. When you look at Marler's performance against the Chiefs you've to feel a bit sorry for Healy.

The guys that Joe singled out as being potentially Lions lads on standby have been ever-present (Earls was one as well). I think he's letting those guys keep their momentum.

I think it's a case of giving the lads who are in the test 23 as much game time as possible. Healy, Marmion, Ryan, Jackson, Niall Scannell, Toner, Ringrose, Earls. Then bringing in a few new lads around them. It's going to be much easier to integrate someone like Kieran Treadwell into the set up alongside Devin Toner than next to Quinn Roux. Or Jacob Stockdale outside Ringrose than ROL.

They want the new guys to get an opportunity to blend into the squad properly and not just earn a few redundant caps which will be completely useless if they're called upon to face South Africa in 5 months.

What the selection also suggests to me is that there a number of lads who are out there and aren't really in consideration for Irish selection. They're just being given the benefit of touring and training with the squad whilst providing cover.

JOD, Reidy, Cooney, ROL and Heffernan are the ones that stand out. One appearance from the bench at most for each.

thebaz wrote: »
    very harsh - no matter what the level these are split second decisions - wrong option chosen - granted internationals should make less wrong options than rest - but sometimes anyone can get in wrong - even BOD did in his prime.

That's right, nothing wrong with it, everyone had their off days.

Very defensive there IO. I've heaped on more praise than anything negative for him. I am a big fan, my only issues I had with him when he broke through is I thought he was too small for international rugby when everyone was outraged at the very thought of Schmidt not picking him (including BOD), all I said was he needed another season of regular PRO12 rugby under his belt to get accustomized to that level of impact and contact work and I was right. He's significantly added to his frame and is far more hardier in contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The guys that Joe singled out as being potentially Lions lads on standby have been ever-present (Earls was one as well). I think he's letting those guys keep their momentum.

I missed this, who did he single out?
    Assuming it was Ringrose, Earls and Healy?
    Or possibly Zebo and Toner too? John Ryan at a long-shot?

He just wants him to be as good as he can be..

obvBZHK.jpg

All jokes aside, he's world class, so I do hold him to a high standard. He's not going to be a Luke Marshall fringe player, he's going to be the Irish 13 for the next decade all things hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

It's a pity about those three injuries, they've performed well on the tour, hopefully they will be back fit and ready to do a full pre-season with their clubs.

However unfortunate for the three casualties, it's giving an opportunity to the fringe touring players to put in a performance, which as a supporter I'm happy about:
    Cooney on to the bench, Conway getting a run at fullback, Stockdale getting another start on the wing, van der Flier getting another start at open-side, and Reidy getting an opportunity off the bench covering any position in the backrow.

Great to see Cooney in the 23, (pity McGrath is injured of course) Cooney has a lot of potential, will be interesting to see how he goes.
    Each province having a Irish capped scrum-half is fantastic for the Irish team. And they will all be in their prime coming up to the World Cup.

Great squad overall for this tour in all positions really to be fair.
    Lots to debate about but I think that's a very good and sensible selection overall.

Will definitely set the alarm for 6:20am and hit the coffee bright and early now!

molloyjh wrote: »

420493.jpg

That screen shot is unfair, like with everything in rugby you need to see how things are unfolding in real time.

The inside player held his ground, the outside player bit in. That's bread and butter stuff for a player of his calbre in the midfield. He took the wrong option, it's not the end of the world and I assume the tiredness had a part to play but I have no doubt it'd be highlighted in the video session and so it should be - you can all say I'm being unduly harsh but that's the expectations I have on this group of players if we intend to dine at the top table and be a team to be feared going into 6n/rwc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I've no issue with Ryan getting the time. Healy, i dont really see the point in giving him the three. The two good performances will have done wonders for him, the third just exposes to a higher risk of injury

• Advertisement
Advertisement