Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Japan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Very true. And good defences have consistently struggled to stop him aswell.

G'way outta it, Kearney hasn't been an attacking threat in years :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

leakyboots wrote: »
    G'way outta it, Kearney hasn't been an attacking threat in years :pac:

Nor has he been a poor defender, but that didn't stop you posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Kilcoyne, Bealham, TOH are the big losers in this respect IMO.

Agree with it not being a good tour for Bealhams Irish future
    Kilcoyne and TOH been involved in all the games so don't think it been bad tour for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Agree with it not being a good tour for Bealhams Irish future
    Kilcoyne and TOH been involved in all the games so don't think it been bad tour for them

The tour has completely dispelled any notion that Kilcoyne might be putting pressure on Healy.

TOH will go home with three caps but will be further down the pecking order than when he started.

It has not been a good tour for either of them.

TOH will go home with three caps but will be further down the pecking order than when he started.

Maybe he will maybe he won't
    Conway getting a start on the wing AND at FB does seem to indicate he'd be preferable bench option between the two (going on assumption the Irish back 3 is Payne FB and Zebo/Earls wings)

On a different note; the big winners from this tour are definitely Porter and Stockdale (and Treadwell and Ryan).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

On a different note; the big winners from this tour are definitely Porter and Stockdale (and Treadwell and Ryan).
    I think Treadwell might be the biggest winner. He's still a kid but they've obviously seen something that they want to see more of.

I think he could be in with a strong shot of the Irish 23 come November.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buer wrote: »
    I think Treadwell might be the biggest winner. He's still a kid but they've obviously seen something that they want to see more of.

I think he could be in with a strong shot of the Irish 23 come November.

Think Stockdale and Treadwell could both be in with a shout.

At lock Ireland have no real stand out options, Henderson is probably pick of the bunch now followed by Toner. After that the rest are much of a muchness.

On the wing Ireland have no Lions and it's not as if we've left any first choice players at home (Trimble is IMO done at test level). If Stockdale keeps on his current trajectory and puts in good performances the first few months of next season he'll overtake more than a few of the "incumbents".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    Think Stockdale and Treadwell could both be in with a shout.

At lock Ireland have no real stand out options, Henderson is probably pick of the bunch now followed by Toner. After that the rest are much of a muchness.

On the wing Ireland have no Lions and it's not as if we've left any first choice players at home (Trimble is IMO done at test level). If Stockdale keeps on his current trajectory and puts in good performances the first few months of next season he'll overtake more than a few of the "incumbents".

I think you may be right, but they will need to hit the ground running next season for Ulster. But I still think Henderson and Toner will be starting in November and then there is Dillane as well.

Wing is interesting, I have a sneaky feeling that Stockdale could be pretty special, but he needs to be starting for Ulster before we can even talk about him starting in a full strength Ireland team. Like many Ulster fans I think Kiss utterly f****d up his backline selection towards the end of last season, in particular leaving Stockdale on the bench. He has to be starting next season, alongside Piutau and Payne in the back three. If he does that and plays well then we'll see.

Same applies to Ryan at Leinster, if he breaks into the Leinster side he could well be partnering most probably Henderson before long. That could be an outrageous second row pairing.

Not sure if any of this will happen by November though, but I suppose we have three games we should be winning so maybe there is a bit of room for some more movement in terms of selection.

The tour has completely dispelled any notion that Kilcoyne might be putting pressure on Healy.

Not sure how you figure that, going by the 6N Conway was ahead and still is.

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    Not sure how you figure that, going by the 6N Conway was ahead and still is.

During the Six Nations, we knew that Conway was a preferred option as 23. Now he is being preferred as full-back too, bumping TOH down to fifth in the FB standings.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

molloyjh wrote: »
    I thought he faded out of the USA game a fair bit after a strong start. He played the whole second half last week and didn't really make a huge statement there either.

Didn't do anything wrong either. Thought he was a very significant improvement on Zebo in fairness.

That's a very subjective view. I don't think Joe throws caps around for fun and my assessment, as somebody who has coached at a high level, is that both Killer and TOH have actually enhanced their position.

Just watched second half again..... Just in case I was mistaken! Great break by Killer and clear-out by TOH for Ireland's last try on 70 mins - watch it!

During the Six Nations, we knew that Conway was a preferred option as 23. Now he is being preferred as full-back too, bumping TOH down to fifth in the FB standings.
    I don't think this suggests anything other than Conway being the prefered 23 and getting game experience at full back to cover that evenetuality. As such Conway was ahead of TOH and still is, with Zebo ahead of both. Writing TOH off maybe a bit premature though, Zebo is an example of a player who took a similar path to establishing himself. Though FB is probably a harder route to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

just read the last few pages and i think people are reading too much into who is playing and not playing, the reality is there was always going to be a lot of rotation and then throw in 3 or 4 injuries to players this week and it makes it look like certain players are not on schmidts top list, for example I don't think TOH has dropped down the pecking order but we'll have to wait for some real matches in the autumn

Didn't do anything wrong either. Thought he was a very significant improvement on Zebo in fairness.

Thought you were having an argument with yourself for a fair bit here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Another 50 pointer to wrap up the tour would be nice

No injuries please!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Love that pack weight.

Good man ringrose

Good lad Drico Ringrose.

Is it just me or does Stockdale keep slowing down going into contact?

Serious intensity from Japan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Great offload from Ryan on the floor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Jaysus, i get out of bed and by the time my PC turns on we've scored. I always miss the first try :pac:

Ferocious defence from Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Some pace on this game.

this is hugely entertaining. worth getting up for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I was wondering who the **** the 7 was. Van Der Flier with a changeup in headgear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Referee is Irish.

Bit strange no?

seiphil wrote: »
    Referee is Irish.

Bit strange no?

He is officially registered with the RFU but yeah, it's an odd on to see at times.

Referee is Irish.

Bit strange no?

He's part of the RFU, referees in the premiership.

Is that Rona Nagara at half back?

Referee is Irish.

Bit strange no?

He works for RFU, so English

The Japanese kick chase and linespeed is outrageous. Surely they'll be ****ed by half time.

One more for the BP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Jeez, what is being learnt from this tour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This is entertaining, but I don't think we will learn much.

Rudduck, Conan, Marshall, all class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Who does the referee work for? ;)

Was Ryan's snowplough move legal there?

They have an O'Gura at FH too.

I'm sure it's been said before but if it's so hot in the middle of the day why not have these matches after the lions match and also save me getting up at stupid o'clock on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

This is a very entertaining first half. Ireland being very clinical and not forcing anything. The Japanese line speed and counter rucking has been very impressive too.

Considering we have 3 backrows away with the Lions (plus Heaslip out injured), our strength in depth there is ridiculous!! Rhys Ruddock is such a good player and in other eras would have far more caps at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

errlloyd wrote: »
    This is entertaining, but I don't think we will learn much.
    To be fair. I think IrishRugby and everyone else expected alot more from Japan on this tour. They've peen poor so far and its not really the teams fault for making look easy.

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Jeez, what is being learnt from this tour?

The administrators of Japan rugby are learning who to vote for in RWC 2023.

This is really fun game - the Japanese are bringing some intensity at the breakdown.
    Conan has been brilliant again

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Who does the referee work for? ;)

The Illuminati. Whole RFU is run by the Zionist New World Order.

Just gotta look at the facts man. Why do you think so many English refs are scaly lizard men? Eg. Steward Barnes.

• Advertisement

Conway's toe on the line when he flicked that back in.

Advertisement