Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's clickbait. We all know it's clickbait (same reason other sites have posted it), and there's no actual facts behind it. So what is the point in watching the video? (I typically don't care about rumour-mongering because even if they're accurate they won't make the games arrive any sooner, but maybe that's just me...)

It's not like you shared any of your own thoughts on either the claim's likelihood or whether, if true, it would actually be a problem. What are your thoughts on Switch++ and backwards compatibility, sligeach?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Maybe don't post clickbait, over the top 'a nightmare for Nintendo fans' type rubbish so?

Fair enough, speculate, but posting things like that without any base in reality is just fear mongering for zero reason whatsoever.

Nintendo releasing new hardware is hardly a 'nightmare' now is it?

Even if it wasn't backwards compatible, just hold onto your Switch. Sorted. 'Nightmare' over. You can sleep again at night.

Rumours usually have some sort of nugget of information. Like if there was some unconfirmed report that Nintendo has been talking to someone other than Nvidia then this “rumour” and speculation has some validity. But there isn’t such information.

In fact, to the contrary, there has been unconfirmed evidence that Nvida and Nintendo have been working on a “next gen” chipset and API set which has been reported on a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

WAIT...The Nintendo Switch 2 WON'T Play Switch Games?!

well said RGT. Some people though are way too sensitive.

I believe I've covered this subject before, I know I've talked about it in the last few days, maybe it wasn't on here. I don't know, I read a couple of years ago, that backwards compatibility isn't possible if Nintendo move away from the Tegra X1 chip, which they will, unless they include it as well as the new chip, and then they'll probably need another cartridge slot, similar to what happened with the DS, but that drives up the cost of the next hardware, which MVG covered in the video.

It's not really in Nintendo's interest to allow backwards compatibility, unless they can charge extra for it, and I bet they're thinking of ways that they can justify it, e.g a €10 charge for an individual game patch. They'd charge for the air that you breathe while playing video games if they could. Nintendo want people buying new games, not playing old ones. You can say it would drive sales of existing games, but sales are usually front loaded, though some Nintendo games are evergreen. But still, the majority of a game's sales come upon its initial release.

On the subject of the successor, I think Nintendo will charge €70 for the majority of their games, even though the hardware in all likelihood will be a generation behind, again. They see others doing it and think they can do the same. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros are turned into live service games. Games that are predominantly played online, so Splatoon would be in there as well. Maybe not on the next system, but that's where I think they're heading.

Nvidia specifically design their hardware so that software developed for it can run on future hardware revisions. Again, it’s a complete baseless suggestion that Switch software can’t run on anything other than the exact Tegra X1 used in the current hardware.

Evidence available today is that Switch games are essentially running close-to-native on ARM based Mac using emulators. The term “emulator” here might confuse but a large chunk of the game runtime is running on bare metal so it’s really not being emulated at this point and it’s not running on a Tegra X1, far from it.

It’s all uneducated speculation from people that aren’t savvy in technology whatsoever fishing for those clicks and views.

• Advertisement

LMAO 🤣

"Dimitris Giannakis (born: April 24, 1973 (1973-04-24) [age 49]), better known as Modern Vintage Gamer (or simply MVG), is an Australian-American programmer and YouTuber known for making videos about video game emulation, homebrew, modding, preservation and security."

I was the developer of Shantae for the Nintendo Switch | MVG

He knows more than some people on this site.

I wasn’t referring to MVG. Big WOOOOOSH for Pepe Silvia.

It was where I seen the story. I posted the headline, link and original link. Ya, the headline is a bit clickbaity and it's something I despise myself. But I didn't care or notice it, I was concentrated on the story. That's what a lot of sites do these days and it's only getting worse. But the video itself is interesting and it is something to think about as the Switch comes towards the end of its lifecycle.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You realise that just posting clickbait-titled videos with no comment of your own about why you think they're interesting or worthwhile merely pushes that problem onto the rest of us?

The topic of the video is a non issue and in typical YouTube fashion it's got an OTT title and angle. You seem to be quite interested in Nintendo-related rumour-mongering videos which is fair enough, but that level of interest is not a given across this thread or board. The News thread already gets enough spurious rumour chat, the last thing we need IMO is for that to spill out elsewhere as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

This is as absurd as the 'article' I saw earlier saying Switch 2 games will render Switch 1 unusable... Based solely on the file size for TOTK being 18+gb... Ergo with some logical gymnastics.. With the switch/switch lite only having 32tb storage... users will be unable to have multiple games installed when those multitude of games follow TOTK with the same sizing and pricing....

Post TOTK users will be FORCED to buy ext sd cards... In a manner they don't need to now.... Such baity rubbish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jj880

Maybe we need a Nintendo rumour thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Rumour has it there's one in production.

YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT. ITS AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE FOR BOARDS.IE USERS.

Not backward compatible with last gen Boards.ie. Shambles.

Out tomorrow. Must get myself a spot in 1 of these family memberships for cheapo access. Missing out on these tracks.

I got the Season pass for the MK DLC for £16 on Shopto.

I figured it was worth it to get them all without being tethered to NSO (though I do use NSO to play online with a friend and fellow MK enthusiast - and by this I mean "be routinely and consistently thrashed by them" 😁).

Even better as the tracks are all im after from the expansion pack. Thanks.

Microsoft tells CMA it's "confident" Call of Duty can be optimised to run on Switch

I think in some ways, Microsoft's hands are tied, publicly at least. They probably intend for the COD games to release on the Switch successor, but if Nintendo aren't talking about it, then Microsoft certainly won't be allowed to. If you note, Microsoft have committed to having COD games on Nintendo hardware, but they've never said they're for Switch. Why not just say it and remove any ambiguity? Make things easier on themselves, instead of talking hypothetically about Switch. It's because it's not going to happen, in my opinion. COD on Switch natively may be possible, it doesn't mean it should or will happen. They'd be detrimentally downgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭eggy81

would the likes of cod 4 remastered run on switch. That would be a great starting point.

Another great pack of courses in Wave 4 for Mario Kart 8. The Yoshi’s Island track is fantastic. I was distracted by the level of detail. Went back on time trial to just look around. That, the music, sound effects, make it a great tribute to the SNES classic.

The Amsterdam track is very good too and usually I haven’t been the biggest fan of the Tour tracks.

We’re also getting 5 additional characters between Wave 5 and 6. They have placeholder ? icons ready. If I had to speculate, Funky Kong returning seems like a no brainer at least. I just hope we don’t get anymore reskinned characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

New tracks seem good so far. Definitely a few sharper turns in this batch. Hopefully we get some new items soon as well

• Advertisement

Don't forget, the final trailer for The Super Mario Bros. Movie is tonight at 10pm.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie Direct – 09/03/2023 (Final trailer)

The Mario Kart Rainbow Road clip was cool, especially with the Koopa. It definitely does look above anything Illumination Studios have done before.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Final Trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Too frantic and noisy. It's more Sonic than Mario. 😁 Recent Mario 3D games (Galaxy onwards) have better art, animation, music and inventiveness and sense of wonder. I wonder what Nintendo could have made themselves with Japanese animated movie makers.

But I'm not their target market 😁 It is Minions with a Mario reskin. It'll do really well.

I wonder is there more to this movie than what the trailers are showing.

Happy MAR10 Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Does Nintendo usually do discounted games for Mar10 day? I'm surprised that Steelseries gave me a 15% discount to wish me a happy Mario day but Nintendo did nothing as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's the usual - there's a nominal sale on 1st party Mario games on the eShop, but we're talking between 20% and 26% off. Better than nothing, but when you consider the age of some of these titles it's Very Nintendo.

Still no sign of any new Mario content, which between the misguided Odyssey email back in January and the movie marketing machine kicking into high gear is a very specific sort of stupid... Hell, even paid DLC for 3D Allstars would be something - SMG2 is right there and they already built the emulator for SMG so it couldn't be that hard. But Nintendo gonna Nintendo, I guess 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement

Has anyone seen the Super Mario Bros Movie cinema trailer on RTE TV? It's different from the other trailers, it's very good. I was looking for it on YouTube, but it's not there.

Advertisement