Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

So, 1st March. We're into the end of days. 

As of 27th March 2023, it will no longer be possible to make purchases on Nintendo eShop for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS.

Don't forget to get your affairs in order. ⚰️

Post edited by sligeach on

Call of Duty May Not Run on Switch, Says UK Market Regulator

I think the COD games will be on the Switch successor.

Rumor: Jeff Grubb’s hearing things about a Switch 2 reveal in late 2023

There's new hardware coming, it's just a matter of it launching before Christmas or next March, similar to the Switch launch. Either way, the reveal will be later this year, because I don't think Nintendo will want the backlash of people buying the Switch at Christmas, only for them to announce the new hardware in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭jj880

Switch has been due an upgrade for a while so Id be skeptical how long Nintendo would continue to produce games for it after a new gen release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Given we have seen both modern Doom titles as well as Wolfenstein running on Switch hardware, I think the only thing stopping the porting of the existing COD titles to the Switch is the will to do it.

They may not run in 1080p, or at 60fps, but they would still be fun, playable and lack little or nothing of their Xbox brethren.

For all we know, the engine is there being populated with the relevant assets and the remastered Modern Warfare trilogy is in the process of being ported over, with newer titles to come on the successor consoles.

Equally, the Crysis titles made the jump and play very well indeed.

Let's wait and see what announcements the summer brings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Sure we might get a super switch adapter for the new 8k home console

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

It's very simple. Fully Backwards compatible out of the box and none of this resetting the online shop/retro games with every new console.

March 9th for more Mario Kart goodness.

Brand track with Yoshi’s Island and new Character with Birdo. More characters will be added in future packs.

Nintendo's vanishing classics

Change in the number of Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games available by Nintendo system

• Advertisement

6 years ago today the Switch launched and so too did a little game called The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

What a masterpiece! TOTK has a tough task to try and steal its crown. 👑

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Crazy to think 6 years ago I was still clinging on to my WiiU, played that version of BOTW on release as I didn't have a Switch yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wonder if in the future the Wii U version of the game will be considered a bit of a 'rarity' like the GameCube Twilight Princess. A quick Google seems to suggest it can be gotten quite cheaply still though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

If TOTK genuinely gets 10s across the board like BOTW it would be pretty incredible. It will have none of the novelty that BOTW had, so it's going to have to compete purely on game design and game play. I think that's the most interesting think about TOTK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Just got this from GS

122+ million Switches sold. That's hardly an exclusive. Red controllers and a different box. Edit ... And a download code 😒

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So only Odyssey for here and not a choice like mentioned in the earlier report.

Can't make out the other thing on the side of the box. Something to do with the movie?

Movie sticker sheet.

Poor enough effort that. Could have at least put something on the stand.

It really is a half-assed effort. I seen someone say this is Nintendo trying to shift older stock, and that's what it is. Stickers are worth next to nothing and €20 off Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, a digital copy of a game that isn't far off a decade old. The same goes for Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, last gen games. Pfft!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And not the OLED switch by the look of it.

• Advertisement

Original Switches and dodgy joycons should be heavily discounted, and there should be a Nintendo Selects range for 2017 games at this stage.

And the way Nintendo are using old stock for this Mario bundle, instead of a special edition, only further adds to the speculation that there's new hardware on the way. I was thinking it'll launch around next March, but I now think it could be on the market by next Christmas.

Also, Nintendo saying, "this year’s E3 show didn’t fit into our plans" was maybe because it's a little too early for them to do a reveal. I think it could be announced in August/September and on shelves by mid November or December.

Couple that with all the speculation and rumours, and Nintendo's schedule for the second half of the year being fairly barren, it might just happen. Switch sales don't have to die when a successor releases, it can sell alongside it for another couple of years at least. Plus maybe a price drop, making it a cheaper alternative.

Sales of Switch are slowing down, Nintendo won't want to let the Switch brand die a slow death and become irrelevant, like the Wii brand did(we seen what happened there). You have to strike while the iron is hot and it's alive.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The main thing I'm wondering is what that "go take another look at Odyssey" email was about. I'm still a bit disappointed there's not been some new DLC or something off the back of that.

In terms of whatever follows the Switch, I'd imagine one concern for Nintendo is that they don't have any other hardware line to fall back on if Switch 2 turns out to be a Wii U 2 in terms of market response...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Anyone else just thinking once 3/10 passes and the old stock is cleared there will be a new gen surprise drop for TOTK at a direct in April...

BOTW launched switch, TOTK launches the next... That'd be some nice symmetry

I do think it's a lot closer than we know. This limited edition Mario Day Switch offer is especially rubbish.

If Samsung made Switches we'd have about 30 versions of them in 6 years. 😁

Rumour: Nintendo Switch's successor might not be backwards compatible

A nightmare for Nintendo fans.

Nintendo's backward compatibility Problem... | MVG

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd put the word 'Rumour' in fairly big, red, flashing letters. It's far too early to know yet and that's a huge amount of speculation and click baity stuff.

If the console is cartridge based and has the word 'Switch' in the name then it's going to be backwards compatible. Would be stupid not to be.

Only time will tell though, I wouldn't be giving articles like that the time of day just yet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'd go further and say "baseless load of pish from some twerp who monetises bored speculation" rather than rumour, myself. Doesn't roll off the tongue, exactly, so I probably need to finesse it a bit.

If the next console is wildly different in architecture or core premise, it'd be entirely reasonable to not have backwards compatibility - it's not like the Switch can play Wii U games. Worst case scenario, you keep your Switch and play the games on it.

(It has occurred to me before that with Nintendo having wound up the handheld-only line they don't have a second hardware income to rely on if they fumble the Switch successor, so I can see there being some temptation to have the next console be different e.g. a relatively-more-powerful home system. But, again, that's just me idly speculating, with no input from an uncle working at Nintendo or anything like that...)

• Advertisement

Some people, I swear... It couldn't be made more clear that it's a rumour, it's the first word in the headline. Probably not serious, but you can't put font in red on this new version of this site. The person doesn't doesn't claim to know the answer, he goes through the possibilities and the consequences. Your response here was quicker than the video is long. All the major respectable sites have posted the story.

Advertisement