Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

General question, some games I have (Animal Crossing/Mario Kart) require the joycons to be disconnected to play (this is not via the dock). Is that correct? Because it just means you can't hold the switch to play, which sort of defeats the purpose of it (having to prop the screen up against something to have the joycons in your hand)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Anyone here know if the games are reduced in our online shop for the mario day?

Young lad clicked into the sale but it's in US.

Clicked in Irish eshop on my phone and the games are over 20e more expensive.

Sorry I'm late to the party - have read this thread but don't see a mention

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I checked that myself, the sale appears to be in the US only.

Pity, and nothing new of note on terms of Mario gaming news, seems like the perfect time to release Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Switch, as well as the contents of the All-stars pack individually on the eshop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Something wrong there. Those games work with joycons attached in handheld mode. That's the default mode for Switch to be honest. With the Switch Lite you can't even disconnect the joycons. Google a solution. Maybe the joycons or Switch or games need to be reset or something. Sounds like the joycons are operating in wireless mode and not wired mode.

Thanks for that. I thought it was very weird alright. On Mario Kart it says press L R but won't work if they're both connected. Have to remove the left one and then it works. So the right one is connected but the left one isint and only way it works

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There are some controller diagnostics in the Switch system menu now, I'd say try that and see if it sheds light on what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Damn it anyway. RTE must have played that Super Mario Bros Movie cinema trailer yesterday by mistake. It was on RTE2 during the break of The Simpsons, so around 4:45pm. I wasn't really paying attention, it was the ad that caught my eye. I checked last night, but due to content license agreements, the programme's not available to replay. It had new footage in it and it's not up on YouTube. I went back over all the programmes that were available to replay on RTE1, RTE2 and TG4, but the ad is nowhere to be seen. I should have recorded it at the time, I just presumed it would be everywhere.

If you know anyone who recorded The Simpsons yesterday on RTE2, the ad is in there during the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If its a new trailer it'll be up on YouTube in no time ;)

Yep tried everything. It seems that it's a known issue that ultimately means either a new joycon or I take it apart and see if I can fix it. The left one works totally fine, but have to disconnect because the right one is stuck in wireless mode (basically the console isint recognising it as being connected, but can charge it)

It's been a day. There's no official trailers outside of what we've seen already. Who knows when it'll be allowed air. I'm tempted to ask in the Television forum if anybody recorded The Simpsons yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jj880

Is it in here?

New tv spots being released regular according to channel owner...

There’s a double Nintendo reference in the opening scene of the first episode of the new season of Ted Lasso on Apple TV+ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Maybe common knowledge for years but I'm only finding out about this now, and it genuinely improves the Wii picture quite a bit by turning off the Deflicker filter and altering frame buffer in USB Loader. Apparently works on disc games played through USB Loader GX too (haven't tried it myself though).

Supposedly there's a couple of inaccuracies in the video that are corrected by someone in the comments but I'm still glad YouTube actually recommended something of interest to me.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Nintendo Switch Successor’s New NVIDIA Tegra Chip Rumoured to Use Samsung 5nm 5LPP Process

Hopefully the successor releases sooner rather than later.

Update: The source of this rumor has retracted their statement in a somewhat confusing fashion, now saying the new Switch Tegra chip is canceled.

🤣

RUMOR: The Next Nintendo Switch Has Leaked!

It looks super impressive and is the next logical step for Nintendo and Switch.

I hope they remove that big question mark from the foldable display..it'll make it hard to play games.

@sligeach you gonna be camping outside the cinema tonight???? :)

The Mario movie is getting pretty bad reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Telegraph said its "like being frogmarched round Toys R Us".

• Advertisement

Reviews look mixed. Rotten tomatoes has very hit and miss critic reviews. Audience score very high. Some of the audience reviews and names on there look very suspect though. I did laugh at the Toys R Us quote.

I generally trust Chris Stuckmann reviews and he said it's fun and enjoyable. As he says, you never really play Mario for the story. It's not a Last of Us.

But it's a fun ride, just like the games.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's an odd thing, I should be squarely in the demographic for this in that I have been playing Nintendo games for decades and I have enjoyed a lot of Illumination's animated comedy. And yet... the trailers don't make me in any way enthused about it. The choice of voice cast for some reason feels like a profound lack of confidence in the script (it doesn't help that I find Chris Pratt and Seth Rogen mildly obnoxious).

Will be interesting to see what others make of it over the next few days.

Going to see at 1pm. Will report back later on.

Playing a Mario game is not the same as watching a Mario movie.

Super Mario Galaxy has better art, animation, inventiveness than this movie. And you get to play it for many hours. And that's a Wii game from 2008.

So, it's dumb to compare movies to games, especially Mario games 😁

I'm sure the movie is fine, like McDonalds. 😁 And I'll either go see it or watch it when it streams on Netflix or somewhere.

1pm show not IMAX. Went for earliest we could get to. Its packed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Haven't read reviews but all I would want from it is the Easter eggs and references and to be entertained for the short (compared to other movies these days) runtime. I think that will be its main saving grace - the ~90 min runtime so it shouldn't out stay it's welcome.

Dont listen to the bad reviews. Go see it. Its no Despicable Me but enjoyable I thought. Jack Black is great as Bowser. Wait a few minutes until after the first set of credits. Plenty of references to most of the games. I probably missed a few.

• Advertisement

New Nintendo Switch 2 rumour claims 2023 launch – as powerful as PS4

Yet another rumour. Supposedly launching around Christmas this year. I won't be impressed by its specs if true.

"Supposedly codenamed Hawk, the Switch 2 will allegedly feature an OLED screen and be capable of ray-tracing and supporting 4K visuals at 30 frames per second. Although, just as is the case on PlayStation 4, the source says not to expect much ray-tracing in most games, as it is very processor intensive."

If it's a Switch Pro, it's fine. But as a full next gen upgrade? Meh!

Advertisement