Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, it's got a load of control options, gyro is covered.

So, basically this is the Metroid Prime 4 team getting up to speed I would imagine gameplay and technology wise. This is effectively the engine for MP4.

Playing handheld on OLED and it looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Any sign of the pricing for the physical version of Metroid Prime? Not seeing it on Amazon, Smyths or Gamestop yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

It's $40 in US so same as digital... Will we see the same? Haven't seen it anywhere this side of pond yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Read this headline earlier but didn't have a chance to post it.

Nintendo Says $70 Switch Game Pricing Will Be Evaluated On A "Case-By-Case" Basis

I was thinking about Metroid Prime Remastered selling for €40, and it's a good, fair price, but at the same time, what gives? This isn't like Nintendo, maybe it's to get people who are curious and on the fence about the franchise, before possibly Prime 2 and 3 releases, to grow the fanbase up to Metroid Prime 4, whenever and on whatever platform that is.

Probably sucker in more people to pay €120 for the 3 games (again) that would baulk at a 3*€60 cost... Spread the games out, drip Prime 2 around Aug... Prime 3 for Christmas... Prime 4 shortly after...

Having thought about it, I don’t think we’re getting Prime 2 and 3. I think Retro rebuilt their engine for Switch hardware and remastered Prime 1 as an exercise to get things running well on Switch hardware to overall benefit the development of Prime 4.

The fact it isn’t just a glorified ROM dump like Mario Sunshine and Galaxy makes me think Prime 4 is closer than we think and I think it is far more likely to release on current Switch hardware than ever now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's interesting to compare to the Link's Awakening remaster in terms of launch price. I suspect it's partly that while Metroid has a fanbase, it's never been seen as a top-tier system-selling franchise.

I might pick up the remaster but if so it'll be physical - I still have my copy of the Prime Trilogy for Wii, but a modern twinstick control scheme does appeal more than wiimote controls...

The better comparison would be to Skyward Sword HD. Links Awakening is a full on remake and was priced accordingly imo. Skyward Sword was a low effort remaster that doesn’t justify the price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Link's Awakening is a full-on remake without any new game content - it looks very pretty but £50 for a game of that limited duration is cheeky to say the least, particularly when it's not exactly replete with replayability...

Ultimately they are two new versions of old Zelda titles on the current hardware with the same launch price, but one gives you about 15 hours of gameplay and the other more like 40...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH when you look at The Last of Us Part 1 or Demon's Souls costing €80 for what are pretty much just graphical makeovers - dramatic though they may be - €40 doesn't seem too bad at all for Metroid given the work they've put in. Would it be more palatable again at €30 or as a bundle with the other two games? Of course it would! But when I see Dead Space - another 'remake' that's more or less the same 15-year-old game, albeit with a few small mechanical, story and level layout tweaks - selling for €80... €40 seems fairly reasonable.

I have to admit though, I was sort of blown away by Metroid Prime again when I was playing it last night. I only ever had a lend of it from a friend when it was released so not sure I ever completed it (played a fair bit though). I did play all of MP3, and I tried the opening hour or two of MP1 on Wii U too when it was released digitally there. But playing it last night and getting past the initial hour, I had the joy of discovering the game as if it was new. It's such an absolute joy exploring its world. It's been a while since I've played a game that has aged so well, even putting aside the cosmetic work it has received here. No 3D Metroidvania game has worked anywhere near as well as this one: the sense of isolation and discovery, not to mention the mysteriousness and 'living' nature of the environments you've explored... very few, if any, games have managed to live up it in the many years since (and I'd include subsequent Metroid and Metroid Prime games in that).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I bought it on release, it came out on GC at the same time as Halo on the Xbox.

And, I had both and loved both but I preferred Metroid Prime and it has definitely aged better.

The environments are fantastic, Dark Souls is lauded for making its areas become characters in the game, well Metroid Prime did it first.

Replaying it, the only thing marking it as having vintage origins is that some of the areas feel a little small compared to what we have become used to.

Everything else is still as good as it ever was, and yet to be bettered

Up on gamestop for preorder.

Nothing on Smyths/Amazon yet

Edited to add back up on shopto for €39 delivered which is a bit more palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Don't give them a penny. Absolute robbing feckers they are on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As for the suggestion of using this as practice for Metroid Prime 4, wasn't that the reasoning given for Wind Waker HD? They did that as practice for their first HD Zelda game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭brady12

How hard is metroid prime remastered ? as hard as dread ?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭noplacehere

I get carpel tunnel off the standard joycons. I got a hori split pad pro off a recommendation here during the first lockdown and it’s been perfect until my children killed it this week. Is it still a good alternative? I’m starting Mario Odessey.

I’ve got this in my basket. I don’t care about design, it’s the cheapest with decent delivery times of the hori split pad pro. Before I hit go I wanted to check in here!

https://amzn.eu/d/3gmaBEe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Quite different.

My first playthrough, on release, got me as far as the second stage of the final boss, I quit then!

It's not too hard, lots of environmental puzzles, which is what the franchise is known for

Start the rumour mill.... MP2 & 3 to be released by June! Ninty must also be sitting on them..... Right.....

• Advertisement

If you have demons in your leaky pipes 😳, who you gonna call? Ghostbusters?

Good way to use the old Mario Show theme tune.

I remember when I was younger, getting it mixed up with an ad from the 80s.

So my version would go

"We're the Mario Brothers, oh yes sirree. The 2600 from Atari"

Seen this earlier, it's a cool poster, but was trying to legitimise it before posting it, as I couldn't find it anywhere else.

It's a new secret poster on the official Super Mario Bros. Movie website. If you click on the manhole below the Miace van, it shows up.

It was right there.

And if you click the number at the top right, you get the GameCube startup theme.

Bunch of little Easter eggs dotted around the page. It’s a wonderful purposefully terrible website, complete with “missing image” icon. All it’s missing is a Geocities logo.

I can see this image being used in future memes.

Post edited by sligeach on

New Super Mario Bros. Movie posters.

It's a Deep Plunge. 🤣 🪠

Everyone needs a big hug, especially Kirby! 💗

• Advertisement

Zelda OLED model preorder starts most likely march 10th

You can mark this as rumour for now but the Zelda Switch OLED has to be real, given the photographic evidence that predated the announced Collector's Edition. Anyway, it's supposed to be available for pre order on 10th March(Mario Day). It's possible we'll get a dedicated TOTK around that date.

I could see a TOTK Direct on Mar 8th, let it Mar(in)8th in people's minds for a couple of days, then open pre-orders for the TOTK OLED on the 10th.

Advertisement