Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What happened to E3 that it has become such an irrelevancy now? I remember a time not so long ago that it would be the single most important date in the gaming calendar, where all the companies would showcase their wares. Was nothing like the anticipation, and reveal, of a new console at E3. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's all the Wii U's fault.

At least wasn't that when Nintendo started their Directs instead of a conference? Then Sony had one where they only showcased 3 games which I think was their last.

Think after that they just liked being able to do things at their own pace and everyone saw Directs worked for Nintendo. Then COVID happened and companies realised digital was the way to go.

So in other words, a few factors involved.

If TOTK was releasing after E3, Nintendo might’ve done a whole setup like they did before BOTW but since it’ll be out a few weeks prior and is arguably their biggest and most anticipated game in 6 years, what they have left for Switch is likely not that big enough to warrant an E3 presence.

Their “biggest” game would potentially be Pikmin 4 if that’s still on track for the second half of 2023 and it’s also too early to announce a successor system imo so it’d be a lacklustre E3 showing anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Of course their biggest game will be Metroid 4. Right? RIGHT?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,277 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Metroid Prime 4 isn't releasing on Switch. That's my opinion, it never was after the reboot. Why didn't Nintendo give Retro Studios the reins at the beginning? I believe it's because they're a shell of their former selves. They're there in name only. Retro Studios in the last month alone have been looking around two dozen people, and some of the positions are for a game a long way from completion. It's almost a decade since Retro Studios released a new game and we haven't seen so much as a screenshot or trailer of anything in that time. I think Nintendo are trying to get them back up and running competently. Anyway...

IGN also says Nintendo has no heavy hitters after Zelda Tears of the Kingdom releases on Switch this year

It feels like it's time for new hardware. Nintendo may wait another year, maybe by next March. I can see Nintendo releasing a fancier looking version of TOTK at launch and maybe some other already released games that could do with a hardware performance boost, e.g. Bayonetta 3. Along with some new launch titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any of you gents ever have this issue on the Nintendo Switch eshop?

I'm trying to download Persona 4 Golden and all my cards keep being rejected for some reason. From two different Irish banks too. Have tried two of my debit cards, a credit card and another debit card I have from a different bank.

Paypal also won't work, neither will trying to buy it through the Nintendo store with my laptop.

Region is set to Ireland, so no conflict there, system is also up to date.

All accounts are flush with cash so no issues there either!😁 I've also used them all on the shop before.

Can't figure it out at all!

I use always PayPal on the eShop and never had a problems. Multiple cards, banks, payment methods failing sounds more like it’s the eShop having an issue rather than anything on your end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sounds like a system problem at Nintendo's end rather than you O1s.

I've both Paypal and the Credit card set up on my PAL Nintendo account, and Paypal only on my Jpn Nintendo account, both work just fine.

Master of the Universe

Interpol have clearly flagged me as a money launderer.

Yeah I tried again this morning, same issue! Reckon I'll need to get in touch with Nintendo, I just want to bloody play Persona 4. Didn't finish it fully on the PS2 and have been dying for this Switch release!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Very strange - never had any issues either. Might be some issue with your account if it's affecting all your cards?

Could you pick up an eShop voucher in Tesco or wherever and use that as a stopgap while you contact Nintendo to try to get it sorted? Either that or a Revolut card to see if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Try buy a €50 card from cd keys or another site like it I think Nintendo Life has discounts on euro cards on their home page.

Persona Golden is epic definitely try to get sorted and enjoy the few differences between the PS2 version and Golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Can you use the web-based eShop at all or are you running into the same problem?

Master of the Universe

Exact same problem!

Wont accept any of my cards or PayPal there either.

I have since used my cards and PayPal to order some other bits so it's 100% just Nintendo.

I might try what the lads said and order a voucher to see if that works instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭jj880

Lidl has top up cards at the till if yer bate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's the attempts to by the old crack cocaine on the eshop that probably sealed your fate

Master of the Universe

Still not working, have a call logged with customer support.

In the meantime I thought I'd just buy a 25 euro eshop card from the Gamestop website tonight and download it that way.

Card bought an hour ago and.. still waiting for Gamestop to send the code. I was assuming it would be instant. Apparently it can take up to 48 hours.

Christ on a bike! 😂

Edit - the code finally arrived and - it worked! Downloading now.

Cheers for the heads up on that one, nice to have a workaround.

We have the official poster for The Super Mario Bros. Movie and it looks fantastic.

The Mario Movie Answers An Age-Old Question

It is an interesting aspect of the upcoming movie. This character must be prominent to feature in the poster. And ya, what is the origin of the Blue/Spiny Shell?

Very generic poster, but then again almost all movie posters just pick from the same handful of templates. It does its job. I’ll probably pick one up from my local cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The origin of the blue shell is not an age old question, but is exactly the sort of hacky **** one should expect from an Illumination film.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Why do we even need a film about Mario, I have no interest at all in it, I had no interest in the Sonic movie either. Cash grabs and totally unnecessary.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

my mother got a letter from BOI saying she cant use her card to top up her mobile credit so something is up with online payments.

Was able to get her sorted with funds from BOI card ==> Revolut card ==> mobile top up.

So revolut cards might be the way to go. We all have them anyway. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just because you have no interest doesn't mean that there's not millions of fans who'd like to see a Mario/Sonic film.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh I'm sure there are plenty who want to see it, they wouldn't make them if they didn't think people would pay to see them and make lots and lots of money. Not pretending to be a spokesperson for the world, I, me, personally don't see what they add or any need for them. There's no story that couldn't be told in a game, their natural, more interesting home.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Hopefully this movie has a good story. The plot in the Mario games are pure garbage. I hope Miyamoto hasn't stood in the way of that and upended some tea tables. Whatever his beliefs about games not needing story, surely he realizes movies need them. I think it will be good, what we've seen so far is positive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I just hope that whatever plot it is, they just run with it. Earnestly. None of thks self deprecating, meta commentary where everyone keeps commenting about how craaazy everything is. I'd like them to own the bizarre iconography and not try to dance around it with smug knowing humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

HBO Mario Kart Trailer - SNL

I was skeptical, but this is brilliant and funny. 😂

• Advertisement

Tesco UK are dumping all their Switch stock at half price! Standard at £115 / OLED at £152 😳 Shocked to see that. Maybe a console upgrade is closer than we think.

Post edited by jj880 on

Advertisement