Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

if true that is not just taking the piss, but an insult to toip ten players who never got that type of preferential treatment.

More eyes on her than any Of them, she's a draw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

peteeeed wrote: »
    More eyes on her than any Of them, she's a draw

In what context is she a draw ?
    If you mean publicity, then she was, but that will eventually burn itself out after the initial Hype, and later down the line the media will move on to something else...its the order of things

If you mean she is a draw in terms of people buying tickets, then there is zero proof she would sell extra tickets because here are some facts people seem to conveniently forget

A. Ally Pally was sold out BEFORE sherrock even qualified,
    B. The world series sells out regardless if she is in it or not.
    C. If she really was a draw for selling tickets, why are people not rushing out to buy bdo tickets for their mickey mouse comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

In what context is she a draw ?
    If you mean publicity, then she was, but that will eventually burn itself out after the initial Hype, and later down the line the media will move on to something else...its the order of things

If you mean she is a draw in terms of people buying tickets, then there is zero proof she would sell extra tickets because here are some facts people seem to conveniently forget

A. Ally Pally was sold out BEFORE sherrock even qualified,
    B. The world series sells out regardless if she is in it or not.
    C. If she really was a draw for selling tickets, why are people not rushing out to buy bdo tickets for their mickey mouse comp.

It's all in the name being PC. Heard its Matt porter who makes these kinda calls. StayWoke

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Does the first round of the World Series always sell out? This is the 'local goon' v 'fading star' round, where the winner gets to play the Top 8 players who get a bye.
    Her being 'a draw' is probably relevant to this round as presumably this is where she'll start - I'm sure ITV4 will be delighted anyway as it'll surely pump up the viewing figures of the least watched session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

What'll be interesting is if she qualifies for the World Series finals night, isn't that ranked? Someone who has no tour card could well end up on tv alot more than most tour card holders. Very unfair. More tv = more sponsors ect

• Advertisement

Does the first round of the World Series always sell out? This is the 'local goon' v 'fading star' round, where the winner gets to play the Top 8 players who get a bye.
    Her being 'a draw' is probably relevant to this round as presumably this is where she'll start - I'm sure ITV4 will be delighted anyway as it'll surely pump up the viewing figures of the least watched session.

what evidence have you to back up your theory that she would be a bigger draw against what you call the "local goon" than say the likes of gurney, wade, wright etc.

none....because there is none.
    Again if she was a draw that could sell tickets, why is the womens title in the bdo a bigger disaster than their mens event ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

what evidence have you to back up your theory that she would be a bigger draw against what you call the "local goon" than say the likes of gurney, wade, wright etc.

none....because there is none.
    Again if she was a draw that could sell tickets, why is the womens title in the bdo a bigger disaster than their mens event ?

I can't particularly prove it (I don't have to, we're debating).
    My 'evidence' would be the mere fact that they are doing it implies that they believe sherrock is/will be a draw, for some combination of tickets/viewing/merchandising/sponsorship reasons.
    The World Series stakeholders (PDC/Matchroom/ITV4) are not mugs and neither are they charitable organisations. The idea say that Hearn is doing this for PC reasons is obviously laughable. Barry tries to turn a buck. Sometimes his ideas bomb, more often they work.

As for the BDO etc, - I'm not sure what
    why is the womens title in the bdo a bigger disaster than their mens event?
    has to do with her. The BDO is a disaster, we know.
    I suspect anyway that whichever session she plays in this weekend will have gained a bump in ticket sales.

I am not debating, I am posting FACTS

Ally pally sold out before sherrock qualified...its not up for debate
    World series sells out with or without her

and if Fallon sherrock is such a draw why is the bdo womens world title not selling more tickets then, since she is a woman, in the comp, and the centre of all this publicity ?
    I will tell you why, its not because Fallon won a game or 2 of darts...its WHERE she won it it, and who against she won.

If she had beaten bdo men, no one would have cared,as no one cares really for the bdo.
    And this women beating men thing is not new either as we have had it countless times already this year on the challenge tour and past years on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

Bdo have now said they will have to review prize fund for the world amature champ

Also chris mason slaggin that idiot oche balboa on twitter for being a sad ass

What a time to be alive

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

prize money completely reduced

click for full size

f4fd181329230447.jpg

• Advertisement

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

prize money completely reduced

click for full size

f4fd181329230447.jpg

Remember everyone it is not the fault of Des ever.

Seems its the fault of social Media, and people like ye on forums, I on blogs, people on facebook and twitter.
    Sportotal took them for £200k without ever providing a sponsor.

Oh wait....didn't Des the liar promise that is he was voted in he had sponsors lined up ?
    What happened them ?

The BDO is the comedy gift that keeps on giving, Roll on the January jobber Jamboree, the live comedy festival

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Am I missing something, what the new reduced prize fund?

Are they asking the players to play for an unknown prize, might end up being a selection box :)

Ticket sales at 15%, no sponsors, toxic etc etc...they’re doomed

TbL

Am I missing something, what the new reduced prize fund?

Are they asking the players to play for an unknown prize, might end up being a selection box :)

Ticket sales at 15%, no sponsors, toxic etc etc...they’re doomed

TbL

heard from a source that the 12k for the womens winner was supposed to go up to 20k.

how not only is the womens going from 12 to 20, but is reduced to 9k.

I said years back these clowns in the bdo are utterly hopeless, and when the scumbag des the liar who mocks peoples cancer, threatens people with violence , etc takes over he will put the nail in the coffin.

I am delighted to see i will be proven right what I said about him and his lack of ability.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

So the exact prize fund is not yet known by the players? Crazy stuff.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    So the exact prize fund is not yet known by the players? Crazy stuff.

seems the mens is halved for each round :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

seems the mens is halved for each round :D

Where did you see that, I can’t see where they’re gonna come up with any sort of decent prize money.

This will turn into “you’re playing for the glory” competitions where players won’t even cover their costs.

That’s the grim reaper standing beside you Des :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Ouch!
    BDO Chairman Des Jacklin has just announced bad news for the BDO World Championship 2020 players. The price money will be cut in half because they are not able to pay out the full amount.

This means the winner no longer receives 100.000 pounds but only 50.000 pounds and the raised price money for the ladies title is no longer 20.000 pounds but now 10.000 pounds.

One of the reasons is they only managed to sell 15 procent of all available tickets. Full press release below.

Update: BDO just confirmed the BDO ladies winner will only get 8.000 pounds instead of 20.000 pounds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Sure the First Round prize money is not enough to cover costs for some of the International qualifiers. This will not go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not being a BDO follower myself, reading the above I can't see why certainly the better/bigger players would participate given the apparent uncertainty.

Locked in contractual obligations, or a case of something is better than nothing... Or both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

No sympathy , players are worse to be playing in the bdo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Not being a BDO follower myself, reading the above I can't see why certainly the better/bigger players would participate given the apparent uncertainty.

Locked in contractual obligations, or a case of something is better than nothing... Or both?

They aren't good enough to get anywhere in the PDC, pretty much, so its a big chance for substandard darts players to walk away with 100k, or now 50k.

check out this mental illness

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/26/des-jacklin-people-say-bdo-cant-compete-pdc-biggest-load-crap-world-8395428/

how did the bdo beggars do in the Grand slam ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

I said years back these clowns in the bdo are utterly hopeless, and when the scumbag des the liar who mocks peoples cancer,

But sure it's grand to mock Dave Clark's Parkinsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

fallon is not a draw ? it may be short term but ....

https://twitter.com/BarryHearn/status/1211960793333411840?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Didn't Bob Potter and Lakeside put up a good chunk of the prize money in years past.

I can't get my head the move away from Frimley Green. It may be a run down relic of a bygone era but it was still a special place for fans and players alike, steeped in darts history. It was also venue that they always managed to sell tickets for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

She just officially pulled out of the BDO Worlds due to the prize money been slashed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

She just officially pulled out of the BDO Worlds due to the prize money been slashed

By "she" you mean Sherrock?

Is that getting slightly above her station? I mean there must still be 3 or 4 grand for the winner?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Degag wrote:
    Is that getting slightly above her station? I mean there must still be 3 or 4 grand for the winner?

Prize money was cut from 12k to 9k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Degag wrote: »
    By "she" you mean Sherrock?

Lets be honest its absolutely sh@g all to do with the prize money aspect

As stated in the BDO thread a loss in that event would be a serious damage to her "brand". 99% of people now automatically assume she's the greatest female player in the world due to her recent exploits. Its in her best interests to keep it that way

Advertisement