Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Had to laugh at the RTE commentator putting it to Rochford that 'they could have won it'.' Eatiing funny mushrooms comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭corny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

"Not in that bad a spot."!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Good to see Pat calling out the shambles that was the Limerick game.

If we can build on yesterday's performance then we might just be on the right path.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,277 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

In case you missed it, there was a great article about Cluxton by Tomas O'Se at the weekend:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/toms-s-stephen-cluxtons-greatness-is-all-we-need-to-know-about-him-36638260.html

".....in my lifetime, nobody has influenced the game more than Cluxton"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Question for ST holders.

Heading up from Kerry for the match next Saturday, weather permitting.

Will probably need an extra ticket - if I go for the Bring a Friend option will I be moved from the centre of the Cusack? I know they do for championship but not sure what the story for league games is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

JRant wrote: »
    Good to see Pat calling out the shambles that was the Limerick game.

If we can build on yesterday's performance then we might just be on the right path.

I wouldn't be so sure.

The one major difference between a half decent performance and the brutal ones against Antrim, Offally and Limerick -

Is that the Galway game was played in Parnell park Dublin's real home ground tight pitch easier for fellas with lesser qualty stick work to out muscle better players.

They did a lot better then I thought.

But I wouldn't be calling it a light at the end of the tunnel yet.
    At least they beat the bookies spread.
    And were Galway really trying?

It only annoys me that they persist in playing any Dublin home league hurling games in Croke park when any gob****e knows it should be played in Parnell.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is that the Galway game was played in Parnell park Dublin's real home ground tight pitch easier for fellas with lesser qualty stick work to out muscle better players.

Don't think theres anyone on that galway team who'd be easily out muscled.

Games should be played in Parnell though, but the county board will never listen

STB. wrote: »

Population isnt the issue. Dublin always had the population but there are a lot of competing sports and there arent 1.5million people playing GAA in Dublin.

Try Harder .

Seriously, are you having a laugh...

18 of our squad live in Dublin, a lot of decent sized towns that had big squads only 20 years ago are struggling now to make a team and asking lads in there 40's to start playing again. I can't blame alot of fringe county players for giving up, who would want to travel 6 hours for training.

Do you also think there is no competing sports in any other county besides Dublin.

There is simply no youth left in alot of these counties they have been drained towards Dublin. Its were all the work is. The GAA has really been hollowed out in alot of counties in the past 10 years. Mayo are only competing due to a unique crop that came through.

Dublin has 1.5 million of a population, but crucially the youngest population. There is very few people in there 20's left in this county, like a lot of others in the west.

Population is an enormous issue and becoming a bigger issue every year.

Bambi wrote: »

Games should be played in Parnell though, but the county board will never listen

They need to play all their home games in championship group there. Anyway, they have been displaced on the under bill by the women now! Can't see too many going for a Dublin/Tyrone - Dublin/London double header next year :)

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be so sure.

The one major difference between a half decent performance and the brutal ones against Antrim, Offally and Limerick -

But I wouldn't be calling it a light at the end of the tunnel yet.
    At least they beat the bookies spread.
    And were Galway really trying?

It only annoys me that they persist in playing any Dublin home league hurling games in Croke park when any gob****e knows it should be played in Parnell.

You're preaching to the choir about using Parnell. It gives up a huge advantage we get by not playing there.

Look, one swallow doesn't make a summer and we still have some big issues to address. We have a major problem moving the ball from backs to forwards. The passing is poor and the ball just isn't sticking. I'd like to see our lads out in front way more than we are currently seeing but that requires massive workrate.

This brings me on to the biggest plus from yesterday, the workrate was much better than any of the other games. I'll take that for now to be honest, especially after the ****e we've been served up to now.

Agreed, I got down to pitchside after the game and to a man that Galway panel are beasts. Plenty of spud munching with extra portions of cabbage and bacon by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Agreed, I got down to pitchside after the game and to a man that Galway panel are beasts. Plenty of spud munching with extra portions of cabbage and bacon by the looks of it.

They're ****ing monsters, I'd say not one of them is under 6 foot or over 30 bar the keeper and all of them are built like tanks.

Actually how did McGibb and Conolly do in midfield? I thought they'd have their work cut out winning ball.

They're ****ing monsters, I'd say not one of them is under 6 foot or over 30 bar the keeper and all of them are built like tanks.

Actually how did McGibb and Conolly do in midfield? I thought they'd have their work cut out winning ball.

The game sort of passed them by for the first 25 minutes but they gradually got more into it. Thought Connolly had a good showing in the second half particularly and got stuck in. Would still like to see more link up play from them as there were some aimless passes into the forwards which just kept coming back and never gave the defense a chance to settle at important times.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

BPKS wrote:
    Will probably need an extra ticket - if I go for the Bring a Friend option will I be moved from the centre of the Cusack? I know they do for championship but not sure what the story for league games is.

BPKS

Most likely, that's what happened to me more than once anyway

Dublin are 2/7 to beat Laois. Time to re-mortgage the house!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Dublin are 2/7 to beat Laois. Time to re-mortgage the house!

I wouldn't touch that with a large pole to be honest.

I've a problem with that because Galway are and always have been a more physical side than us. A tight pitch and a physical game plays to their strengths.

Actually its their physical qualities that stop Dublin playing. They're fast and strong and you never get away from the pressure. Your 'stick work' will inevitably suffer when a strong bastard in maroon won't leave you alone. Compare that to Dublin? Well i'm not sure what Galway player Darren Kelly was marking but there was a point in the first half where he got the ball, turned and just burned away from Kelly. Slotted it over the bar too. Their backs will mix it with you if you want to play that way and then you beat you in a foot race for good measure.

I wouldn't touch that with a large pole to be honest.

I have no intentions of, I can assure you! Nor the 3/1laois which is good value. The PP odds makers must not be watching too many games.

It is a game they should win, but for the life of me I am not certain how much they can turn things around in a week. First half yesterday was dreadful, and with the wind. Galway were like the footballers in Castlebar the night before, just doing enough to stay comfortably ahead.

I don't think he has too much options regarding changes to personnel and there's no-one I've seen yet that I would be starting instead other than Rushie and Trollier if they are fit.

Very strange interview with him outside the dressing room. Someone said to me that he seemed almost content to let it go to a play off with Antrim on assumption they'll beat them, rather than face Clare or Tipp in quarter final and lose by 40 points. I just hope he does have the cunning plan some suggest.

BPKS wrote: »
    Question for ST holders.

Heading up from Kerry for the match next Saturday, weather permitting.

Yes, you could get 302 or 308/9.

• Advertisement

Seriously, are you having a laugh...

18 of our squad live in Dublin, a lot of decent sized towns that had big squads only 20 years ago are struggling now to make a team and asking lads in there 40's to start playing again. I can't blame alot of fringe county players for giving up, who would want to travel 6 hours for training.

Do you also think there is no competing sports in any other county besides Dublin.

There is simply no youth left in alot of these counties they have been drained towards Dublin. Its were all the work is. The GAA has really been hollowed out in alot of counties in the past 10 years. Mayo are only competing due to a unique crop that came through.

Dublin has 1.5 million of a population, but crucially the youngest population. There is very few people in there 20's left in this county, like a lot of others in the west.

Population is an enormous issue and becoming a bigger issue every year.

Galway seem to have no problem finding young players at the moment. To a lesser extent neither do Roscommon. Tipperary have some good young players too.

It is just an easy excuse to say Dublin have all the resources. Mentally it says a lot about Mayo that this is contantly trotted out. To me the big difference is the mentality one. David Clarke will mess up a kick-out, Cillian O'Connor will miss a crucial free, Lee Keegan will run after the ref whinging about some free that was or wasn't given and one of the others will lose the head and concentrate on fouling rather than playing. Happens every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

corny wrote: »
    They're playing every minute in the league too. The likes of Reddin and Paddy Small are making cameos off the bench but by and large our first teamers are playing the minutes. Its like that every year yet the chap above thinks population, money, all that ****e is winning the league. Its not. Its the same Dublin players keeping their discipline and fitness levels at a high level year round.

I've always felt Mayo miss a trick in the league. Its important on a psychological level they beat Dublin yet they choose to pass on the chance. Also, Dublin bed in one, maybe two, players each year by playing them surrounded by first teamers. Brian Howard this year. Niall Scully the last. David Byrne before him etc. I've never seen Mayo afford young players the same opportunity to grow in the league. Maybe thats a reason why Dublin have a big squad. We don't genetically modify them afterall.

BTW Gavin obviously didn't like losing the league last year....He's ****ing ruthless when it comes to winning

Just flicking through this thread, think it's my first read of it this year. Haven't been following the Mayo one as much lately either tbh. Haven't given up the ghost, just busy becoming a Jim Gavin in another code! :)

This post jumped out at me though, especially the part about us not giving new players a chance in full strength teams.

I completely agree, in principal. You will only really see how good a player is until they're surrounded by a team of good players. Some players play great when they're the big fish, conversely some won't shine when they don't have the quality around them. You really want to see if someone can fit into / improve an already strong team. That's the ideal and that's what Gavin has / has created.

Gavin has created that environment and done a great job but it would be a very difficult job if there wasn't the quantity of quality there putting pressure on current players. Dublin players have no option to take their foot of the gas, they'll be overtaken and quickly forgotten about if they do.

He doesn't genetically modify them but you also can't just magic up that serious competition for places within a squad. There just isn't that competition in Mayo and that's no real shame, what Dublin have is unique.

The reality is that the Mayo squad is made up of a large group of 30 somethings. They can't sustain a year round machine like Dublin. The travel is an excuse and a valid one at that. They aren't being pushed to the same extent.

Dublin aren't in that position (of having an aging squad) because they had the quality filtering through steadily over the years. Could we have done that more? Maybe, maybe we could have developed more players outside of the 06 and 16 winning U21 teams... but I don't think many have slipped through the net.

I actually think our squad last year was by far our strongest yet. I remember a time, not so long ago, when you would look at the starting 15 and think, christ 2 or 3 of them aren't up to standard at all... Last year we had 20 odd options that could do a job at the highest level, not in the areas we needed, but still, a good squad.

Rochford / Mayo have brought through a serious amount of the 2016 U21 team in fairness. He is being measured against a bit of a freak team / management at this moment in time. And please god, hopefully it is just a moment in time.

But I do think there's something there to focusing in one bedding in a small group each year. Surely we can do a better job on that. Waiting around for a successful U21 team to come around is a risky strategy.

PARlance wrote: »
    Just flicking through this thread, think it's my first read of it this year. Haven't been following the Mayo one as much lately either tbh. Haven't given up the ghost, just busy becoming a Jim Gavin in another code! :)

This post jumped out at me though, especially the part about us not giving new players a chance in full strength teams.

I completely agree, in principal. You will only really see how good a player is until they're surrounded by a team of good players. Some players play great when they're the big fish, conversely some won't shine when they don't have the quality around them. You really want to see if someone can fit into / improve an already strong team. That's the ideal and that's what Gavin has / has created.

Gavin has created that environment and done a great job but it would be a very difficult job if there wasn't the quantity of quality there putting pressure on current players. Dublin players have no option to take their foot of the gas, they'll be overtaken and quickly forgotten about if they do.

He doesn't genetically modify them but you also can't just magic up that serious competition for places within a squad. There just isn't that competition in Mayo and that's no real shame, what Dublin have is unique.

The reality is that the Mayo squad is made up of a large group of 30 somethings. They can't sustain a year round machine like Dublin. The travel is an excuse and a valid one at that. They aren't being pushed to the same extent.

Dublin aren't in that position (of having an aging squad) because they had the quality filtering through steadily over the years. Could we have done that more? Maybe, maybe we could have developed more players outside of the 06 and 16 winning U21 teams... but I don't think many have slipped through the net.

I actually think our squad last year was by far our strongest yet. I remember a time, not so long ago, when you would look at the starting 15 and think, christ 2 or 3 of them aren't up to standard at all... Last year we had 20 odd options that could do a job at the highest level, not in the areas we needed, but still, a good squad.

Rochford / Mayo have brought through a serious amount of the 2016 U21 team in fairness. He is being measured against a bit of a freak team / management at this moment in time. And please god, hopefully it is just a moment in time.

But I do think there's something there to focusing in one bedding in a small group each year. Surely we can do a better job on that. Waiting around for a successful U21 team to come around is a risky strategy.

Good post.

Its the way i think about sport. I remember reading something from Ronan O' Gara and he's adamant NZ win in the rugby not because their players are born better or coached better but because they don't have to deal with self doubt. They enter a winning team, with proven practices and they grow to be better players than they otherwise would be. Dublin drip feed lads with potential sure. Have they more potential than young Mayo or Kerry lads? I don't know if i'm honest but a part of me suspects no they're not. They just enter a culture that allows them, indeed expects them, to flourish. Mayo testing their younger players in games they lose and sometimes lose heavily might be completely counter productive. Rochford more than his predecessors seems to think everything before August is not worth fighting for and its completely opposed to Gavins approach.

Obviously its not straight like for like and no one can deny Mayo might face hurdles that Dublin don't have to face. Still, like i said i've always felt Mayo miss a trick in the league. You have create a bit of doubt for Dublin and self belief for yourself. Just doesn't seem important to Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yes, you could get 302 or 308/9.

Cheers - yeah I see now they are offering me 302:(

Tough choice.

Watch us get a hiding from the 14 metre line in the freezing cold and a 700km round trip on dangerous roads or watch us get a hiding from the couch in front of a fire.

At least if I was in 305/6 I'd have a great view of all the Dublin goals;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Good post.

Its the way i think about sport. I remember reading something from Ronan O' Gara and he's adamant NZ win in the rugby not because their players are born better or coached better but because they don't have to deal with self doubt. They enter a winning team, with proven practices and they grow to be better players than they otherwise would be. Dublin drip feed lads with potential sure. Have they more potential than young Mayo or Kerry lads? I don't know if i'm honest but a part of me suspects no they're not. They just enter a culture that allows them, indeed expects them, to flourish. Mayo testing their younger players in games they lose and sometimes lose heavily might be completely counter productive. Rochford more than his predecessors seems to think everything before August is not worth fighting for and its completely opposed to Gavins approach.

Obviously its not straight like for like and no one can deny Mayo might face hurdles that Dublin don't have to face. Still, like i said i've always felt Mayo miss a trick in the league. You have create a bit of doubt for Dublin and self belief for yourself. Just doesn't seem important to Mayo.

I agree and disagree. Definitely agree about the culture, teams get used to winning and great teams don't slack off they just develop a hatred of losing. Of losing games as a team, of losing their place as individuals. That culture is almost unstoppable when it's in full flow. Gavin deserves hugh credit for keeping it going / growing.

I don't think I'm being soft on Rochford / Mayo by saying the same year-round intensity can't be found. It's a different animal. Different squad profiles, depths of talent etc.

Rather than being negative and saying that he doesn't care until August, I think he works very well with what he has and has timed the peak extremely well over the last couple of years. Maybe a bit too close for comfort last year, but he got there. While an All Ireland is the holy grail, I would much prefer to be a Mayo supporter on our annual journey than following a team that peaks too soon. There are more than a handful of those over the past 2 years that have started strong only to fall off fairly spectacularly in the end.

Before this current Dublin set-up, the way to win an All Ireland was to set everything up for peaking in Aug / Sept. Unless you're Dublin, I still think that's the way.

The main worry I have is that we've the means to do that now but there's a cliff edge approaching and we'll lose a fair chunk of the squad in the coming year or two.

Good post.

The culture of winning and that All-Black mentality is very important.

Remember that All-Black try against Ireland when they went the whole length of the pitch to score it and pull a win out of the bag. Dublin can do that. Look at the way Dublin first made the winning score and then kept the ball for three minutes at the end of the All-Ireland final. Look at Cluxton and Rock scoring points to win All-Irelands and O'Connor missing points to win All-Irelands.

Then go further back and look at Dublin teams of the past. Penalty misses in finals and semi-finals. Giving Maurice Fitzgerald the chance to kick a lineball. Back then, Dublin didn't have the mentality they have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

All juvenile games in Dublin have been called off for the weekend. I presume we'll see adult and inter-county games follow shortly.

Update: All adult and juvenile games called off for the weekend in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭muddle84

blanch152 wrote: »
    Good post.  

The culture of winning and that All-Black mentality is very important.

Remember that All-Black try against Ireland when they went the whole length of the pitch to score it and pull a win out of the bag. Dublin can do that. Look at the way Dublin first made the winning score and then kept the ball for three minutes at the end of the All-Ireland final. Look at Cluxton and Rock scoring points to win All-Irelands and O'Connor missing points to win All-Irelands.

Then go further back and look at Dublin teams of the past. Penalty misses in finals and semi-finals. Giving Maurice Fitzgerald the chance to kick a lineball. Back then, Dublin didn't have the mentality they have now.
    Good post. I see this building every year in this current Dublin team. You can even go as recent as 2016 final and see potentially fatal mistakes, when Connolly didn't let Kilkenny take the lineball, missed and gave us the chance to equalise and get a replay. The very same thing happened in 2017 and I think it was Connolly( not 100% sure who it was) that actually toke it again but played the safe ball instead of risk losing posession and ended up with another all ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Games at the weekend officially called off.

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/969206003001683968

Right, I'm back to me Star Wars marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

They're playing every minute in the league too. The likes of Reddin and Paddy Small are making cameos off the bench but by and large our first teamers are playing the minutes. Its like that every year yet the chap above thinks population, money, all that ****e is winning the league. Its not. Its the same Dublin players keeping their discipline and fitness levels at a high level year round.

I've always felt Mayo miss a trick in the league. Its important on a psychological level they beat Dublin yet they choose to pass on the chance. Also, Dublin bed in one, maybe two, players each year by playing them surrounded by first teamers. Brian Howard this year. Niall Scully the last. David Byrne before him etc. I've never seen Mayo afford young players the same opportunity to grow in the league. Maybe thats a reason why Dublin have a big squad. We don't genetically modify them afterall.

BTW Gavin obviously didn't like losing the league last year. After a late trip to South Africa i was expecting a muddling campaign again this year. No chance. I don't think we've ever been fitter outside of the championship. Thats what i like about Gavin. He's ****ing ruthless when it comes to winning.:)
    PARlance wrote: »

As an aside, I actually thought that Mayo would try and push for the League this year (and if they're the reason I don't win the pools * shakes fist *) to build on last year's championship as has been said above, winning begets winning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement