Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

Thought most of what you said was rubbish .
    Mannion is showing his age now and has a short shelf life . AOS was very good as well as Coen . It’s february and if you can’t see why mayo weren’t starting 9-10 of last years final then there no point having a conversation .
    In short Dublin were better tonight but no great shakes either . Despite mayos inept performance they could have had 4 more points easily on the board and coens blazing wide could have made a game of IT.

This is comedy gold. Mannion showing his age. You sure you have the right man?

Also, i don't see why Dublin are able to rock up every year in the league with their first teamers fit to go yet Mayo seemingly can't. 'Yeah but they're on the go a long time'....so what. Dublin are on the same road. Bar Basquel and Howard all of our lads were killing themselves back end of last year too. They manage the work load for league and championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Correction . I meant Mcmenniman . Apart from that . No errors .
    To answer your questions . Mayo don’t have depth. It comes with a population of 130k versus 1.5 M. So February Is for experimentation and survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭JRant

corny wrote: »
    This is comedy gold. Mannion showing his age. You sure you have the right man?

Also, i don't see why Dublin are able to rock up every year in the league with their first teamers fit to go yet Mayo seemingly can't. 'Yeah but they're on the go a long time'....so what. Dublin are on the same road. Bar Basquel and Howard all of our lads were killing themselves back end of last year too. They manage the work load for league and championship.

If anything, we seem to use the league to get some meaningful games in before the long wait till late July for a decent game in the championship. That might change with the super 8 format but it's still a good run out early in the year for a lot of players.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

So apart from the one glaring error, there were no errors...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Thought most of what you said was rubbish .
    Mannion is showing his age now and has a short shelf life . AOS was very good as well as Coen . It’s february and if you can’t see why mayo weren’t starting 9-10 of last years final then there no point having a conversation .
    In short Dublin were better tonight but no great shakes either . Despite mayos inept performance they could have had 4 more points easily on the board and coens blazing wide could have made a game of IT.

Dublin were playing with Mayo tonight. They spent the majority of the second half passing the ball from one side of the pitch to the other. When they got bored with that they made the occasional runs when they werent been constantly pulled back by their markers.

AOS was fairly anonymous. The only Mayo player that didnt warrant a must try harder tag was Colm Boyle. The Dubs ran rings around Mayo this evening.

Paul Mannion showed just how lethal he is scoring a screamer of goal within 2 minutes. He may have 3 All Ireland medals, but he is only 24.

Mayo havent beaten the Dubs in the last 13 meetings. I dont know whats going to change that.
    To answer your questions . Mayo don’t have depth. It comes with a population of 130k versus 1.5 M. So February Is for experimentation and survival.

McManamon. Kevin McManamon is his name. If you are going to belittle players pick one and then at least spell his name correctly. Kevin stills scare the **** out of many full back lines especially when he come barrelling towards your goal.

Your posts have no depth.

Population isnt the issue. Dublin always had the population but there are a lot of competing sports and there arent 1.5million people playing GAA in Dublin.

Try Harder .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thought most of what you said was rubbish . Mannion is showing his age now and has a short shelf life . AOS was very good as well as Coen . It’s february and if you can’t see why mayo weren’t starting 9-10 of last years final then there no point having a conversation . In short Dublin were better tonight but no great shakes either . Despite mayos inept performance they could have had 4 more points easily on the board and coens blazing wide could have made a game of IT.

I said Mayo's free taking was rubbish, it was read the Mayo thread.

I said most of Mayo's issues apart from number 3 would be addressed for the championship, I assume with your talk about everyone that is due back that's correct.

The second goal was a typical high ball into a keeper and fullback that regularly cough up such goals, if you can't see that, then maybe you are a selector or have blanked out the past.

I paid Coen a complement.

AOS did very little and the Mayo midfield only got going when Fenton, MDMA and Howard went off and SOS came on, that's the truth. He was far from very good

Mannion is 25 and brushed past his man more than once, he played one half of football and scored more from play than the entire mayo forward line that includes Andy Moran. If 25 is finished then forget about most of the 8 or 9 players that Mayo have coming back.

Are you aware of the stats around COCs contribution to Mayo's total scorelines? Do you read the Mayo thread at all? Without him Mayo's attack looks lost, as I said.

I don't know what game you were watching or what way you read my post, I clearly said that I wouldn't read into the win too much as mayo will fix most things bar no 3 come championship.

TBH I don't think I've been too far off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Stoner wrote: »
    I said Mayo's free taking was rubbish it, was read the Mayo thread

I said most of Mayo's issues apart from number 3 would be addressed for the championship, I assume with your talk about everyone that is due back that's correct.

The second goal was a typical high ball into a keeper and fullback that regularly cough up such goals, if you can't see that than maybe you are a selector or have blanked out the past.

I paid Coen a complement.

AOS did very little and the Mayo midfield only for going when Fenton, MDMA and Howard went off and SOS came on, that's the truth. He was far from very good

Mannion is 25 and brushed past his man more than once, he played one half of football and scored more from play than the entire mayo forward line that includes Andy Moran. If 25 is finished then forget about most of the 8 or 9 players that Mayo have coming back.

Are you aware of of the stats around COCs contribution to Mayo's total scorelines? Do you read the Mayo thread at all? Without him Mayo's attack looks lost, as I said

I don't know what game you were watching or what way you read my post, I clearly said that I wouldn't read into the win too much as mayo will fix most things bar no 3 come championship.

TBH I don't think I've been too far off the mark.

Agree with coc contribution. But AOS workmate tonight was high . For February it is well above where he is normally. If you were watching it on tv then I understand but his work rate was good and for once he didn’t take all the crap he normally gets .
    Also Mayo had a by and large rooky back 6 .
    And yes Cafferkey is worth 4 points per game ,fortunately not for mayo.

Depth? Cluxton, Cooper, Fitzsimons, McCarthy, Small, Fenton, MDMA, Scully, Rock, Kev Mc, played today and there's a good chance they'll be starting in September should we get there. Why can Dublin get these lads to work their bolloxes off league and championship yet Mayo seemingly can't? Fenton is the prime example btw. Not carrying any weight, not taking it easy in any game. He's worked in every game so far like it was still September.

Its what makes Dublin better than Mayo imo. No half measures and no excuses.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Agree with coc contribution. But AOS workmate tonight was high . For February it is well above where he is normally. If you were watching it on tv then I understand but his work rate was good and for once he didn’t take all the crap he normally gets . Also Mayo had a by and large rooky back 6 . And yes Cafferkey is worth 4 points per game ,fortunately not for mayo.

I'm on the way home now!

corny wrote:
    Depth? Cluxton, Cooper, Fitzsimons, McCarthy, Small, Fenton, MDMA, Scully, Rock, Kev Mc, played today and there's a good chance they'll be starting in September should we get there. Why can Dublin get these lads to work their bolloxes off league and championship yet Mayo seemingly can't? Fenton is the prime example btw. Not carrying any weight, not taking it easy in any game. He's worked in every game so far like it was still September.

I counted 12 starters for Dublin tonight.

We don't have much more.
    Bastic gone, Brogan injured

McCaffery injured. Flynn ????

So there would be Con, Lowndes,
    Possibly Costello
    Philly, Andrews

I agree Corny that was close to the best available tonight.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    I counted 12 starters for Dublin tonight.

We don't have much more.
    Bastic gone, Brogan injured

McCaffery injured. Flynn ????

So there would be Con, Lowndes,
    Possibly Costello
    Philly, Andrews

I agree Corny that was close to the best available tonight.

They're playing every minute in the league too. The likes of Reddin and Paddy Small are making cameos off the bench but by and large our first teamers are playing the minutes. Its like that every year yet the chap above thinks population, money, all that ****e is winning the league. Its not. Its the same Dublin players keeping their discipline and fitness levels at a high level year round.

I've always felt Mayo miss a trick in the league. Its important on a psychological level they beat Dublin yet they choose to pass on the chance. Also, Dublin bed in one, maybe two, players each year by playing them surrounded by first teamers. Brian Howard this year. Niall Scully the last. David Byrne before him etc. I've never seen Mayo afford young players the same opportunity to grow in the league. Maybe thats a reason why Dublin have a big squad. We don't genetically modify them afterall.

BTW Gavin obviously didn't like losing the league last year. After a late trip to South Africa i was expecting a muddling campaign again this year. No chance. I don't think we've ever been fitter outside of the championship. Thats what i like about Gavin. He's ****ing ruthless when it comes to winning.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Very impressed with what I have seen so far from Dublin .....but is the heavy training going to.burn the players out before the end of the year , no team should be that fit in February

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Barlett

STB. wrote: »
    The Mayo lads are gas.

Everytime there is 2 balls on the pitch to slow down Cluxton's kick outs.

A lot of soft frees but doesnt matter as Doherty cannot kick the ball in a straight line..

You do know that the netting was knocking the ball back onto the pitch? The same thing was happening to Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Very impressed with what I have seen so far from Dublin .....but is the heavy training going to.burn the players out before the end of the year , no team should be that fit in February

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

They're that fit - or fitter - every February and it hasn't hurt them yet. This is nothing new. You should have seen them when they went on their holibobs in late November & subsequently had all of January to train and, they also had O'Byrne Cup games to get primed for the league.

That's changed now, with the team holiday taking place in January, yet they still look like a bunch of rabid greyhounds, mad for the road. With four Sam's in five years, I can't see burn out being a problem in 2018, when it hasn't been in previous years.

Even if a few of the older lads do feel the effects of all the milage on the legs in late summer, will we ever know? There are plenty of young lads, who are getting valuable game time now, who are able to step in and take over from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

STB. wrote:
    Paddy Neilan. Kildare manager gave out stink about him a few weeks back. He was way off the pace this evening and made a lot of poor decisions.

Same one who gave some very soft decisions against us in league final against kerry, plus not giving the rock pen when he went to pick it up. Also robbed vins last year in all ireland semi

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Same one who gave some very soft decisions against us in league final against kerry, plus not giving the rock pen when he went to pick it up. Also robbed vins last year in all ireland semi

He was in charge of that Vinnies game! ****ing hell I knew I was narky about him previously, but couldn't remember for what.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Enjoyed the trip to Castlebar as in most recent years.

Thought Dublin played in second gear after the first twenty minutes and spent large parts of the second half just playing keep ball.

Mannion was impressive once more, Fenton's long kick-passing a delight again. Thought the defence did well to shackle Mayo.

But to be honest, there was very little learned from last night. The challenge from Mayo was pathetic. A number of their players including senior ones like Keegan and AOS were more interested in stopping their opposite number or getting in digs than actually contributing positively to the game. Keegan spent more time looking at Kilkenny than looking at the ball and AOS led with the elbow a number of times in nasty tackles.

Cluxton's variation on his kick-outs was good. Supporters of all teams are going to have the learn that the new rules mean the kick-out is much more of a lottery. I think though that the rule-makers are going to be disappointed. Cluxton will find his man more often than his opposite numbers and Dublin's forwards pressing will win more of the opposition kick-outs. All in all, the changes could help rather than hinder Dublin.

The only hope for Mayo is that they deliberately pulled their punches last night, as that team will struggle come Championship. Yes, they were missing regulars but the Super 8s introduce a league-style component whereby suspensions, minor niggles, bigger injuries etc. will increase the dependance on the squad. The match against Galway will be far more interesting for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It was good opportunity to further finesse both the pressing up on opposition kick outs, and the corralling back of the opposition when in possession. Dareisayit, but as Blanch above implies, the way Dublin play and the anti Cluxton kick out rule will make it far more difficult for anyone to beat them. Only possible on that front remains Mayo at full strength in August.

Next week will be interesting as there is big expectations in Kerry over the current team so a win is important to keep manners on them. From what I've seen of them on TV, they have become more cynical and "physical" rather than the PR of them returning to the "sublime football" of their glory years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

More observation than criticism, but twice now consecutively, Donegal and Mayo, with commanding leads we appear to ease back on the throttle a bit in the second half.

I thought at halftime last night we were going to see a repeat of last year's drubbing which we handed out to them. However after Scully's goal it seemed to turn into a training session.

On another note, the cold wind and rush for the stand ensured there was a great crowd for the women's match. It was nice to take all the points out of Castlebar

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »

after Scully's goal it seemed to turn into a training session.

I reckon that is huge part of thinking behind their approach to league. Would love to see the possession stats from last night as Mayo have generally at least broken even on that level in many of the games over the past several years. Now. Dublin can hold the ball for 2/3 minutes when comfortably ahead, which leads to frustration/frees/lapses of concentration/gaps for scores.

It is formidable set up and one that is very difficult to counter. Emphasis is Lester Piggott like attitude of being a head in front on the line rather than handing out thrashings!

So it will be interesting to see what Kerry come up with next Saturday. I would rate their defence as being behind Mayo, Donegal, Tyrone and Monaghan - as proven last Sunday - so they will have to either have a cut, or alternatively try to drag Dublin into the gutter like last year in Tralee.

Fann Linn wrote:
    On another note, the cold wind and rush for the stand ensured there was a great crowd for the women's match. It was nice to take all the points out of Castlebar

Yeah there was good support for that too.

It was interesting to see Connelly coming back.

From what I can remember he hit one lovely crossfield pass and two howlers.
    It shows the importance of the league and how guys need to shake off the cobwebs.

Laois getting a bit of a trimming from Offaly so we will need to beat Laois down there to avoid play-off.

Good performance from the hurlers. Penalty miss was crucial but tbf Galway came by their scores a bit easier than us. No shame in that.

Some lads still carrying heavy legs i think. Sutcliffe looked knackered midway through the second half and went out of the game completely. As good a performance as i've seen from Chris Crummey btw. He was brilliant. Winters was tireless in showing for it. Had a good battle with his marker.

I think i must have been sitting beside JRant....awful negative people beside me.:)

Well they better not have "heavy legs" next Sunday. It is absolutely vital that they beat Laois, even if the reward is another hammering in quarter final!

Kerry beaten. Dublin probably only need to win one more game to reach final. hopefully that will be next Saturday by hammering the bejaysus out of Kerry.

Good performance from the hurlers. Penalty miss was crucial but tbf Galway came by their scores a bit easier than us. No shame in that.

Some lads still carrying heavy legs i think. Sutcliffe looked knackered midway through the second half and went out of the game completely. As good a performance as i've seen from Chris Crummey btw. He was brilliant. Winters was tireless in showing for it. Had a good battle with his marker.

I think i must have been sitting beside JRant....awful negative people beside me.:)

Now now, I wasn't that bad today ;)

Agreed though, better performance today in fairness. Still can't understand why Rushe didn't start, thought he was good when he came on.

O'Carroll really struggles with anyone running g directly at him. He's leaked a few soft goals so far with people just running past him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Heard Gavin rabbitting away on rte there, must have kissed and made up.

JRant wrote: »
    Now now, I wasn't that bad today ;)

Agreed though, better performance today in fairness. Still can't understand why Rushe didn't start, thought he was good when he came on.

O'Carroll really struggles with anyone running g directly at him. He's leaked a few soft goals so far with people just running past him.

Rushe came off in the dying minutes if i'm not mistaken. Didn't look in distress but he could be trying to manage an injury.

Rushe came off in the dying minutes if i'm not mistaken. Didn't look in distress but he could be trying to manage an injury.

Missed that, makes sense why we haven't seen much of him so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Slattsy wrote: »
    He was in charge of that Vinnies game! ****ing hell I knew I was narky about him previously, but couldn't remember for what.

He also did the league final last year against Kerry and had a nightmare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement