Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Did they start with the football?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Sunday Game just getting worse. Showing us a game they already showed todsy followed by an interspersed show of two matches. One of which was also shown live yesterday.

Brutal coverage from state brosdcaster.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Sunday Game just getting worse. Showing us a game they already showed todsy followed by an interspersed show of two matches. One of which was also shown live yesterday.

Brutal coverage from state brosdcaster.

In fairness, the match today was the Connacht final, it should get top billing.

Didn't like the two games being played at once, it's trying to capture lightening in a bottle a little.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Some point by Nolan, when I read about it, I just assumed that he was further up the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

CatInABox wrote: »
    In fairness, the match today was the Connacht final, it should get top billing.

Didn't like the two games being played at once, it's trying to capture lightening in a bottle a little.

Exactly. Thats my gripe. Id rather watch the ten minutes for each matche on their own. Anyone who had an interest in hurling knew Galway were already gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I didn't mind it at all. Think it did a good job of capturing the excitement and uncertainty and most of all the tension, as the clock wound down in the two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

15 minutes of Leinster Hurling followed by 20 minutes of absolute BS to keep RTE staff in jobs. Compare that to Munster

There's a reason I don't pay me license. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Bambi wrote: »
    15 minutes of Leinster Hurling followed by 20 minutes of absolute BS to keep RTE staff in jobs. Compare that to Munster

There's a reason I don't pay me license. :D

They know who you are. There is nowhere to hide.

tvlicence.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭corny

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Brace yourself for lots of praise for how big, strong & athletic we are....blah blah blah...

Don't hold your breath for any acknowledgement that we have any skilled, whristy hurlers on board.

Generally people from the south of the country just aren't familiar with our team. You listen to Donal Og, Farrell, Loughnane, Mulcahy and all they can talk about is fortress Parnell etc. Either that or they'll trot general statements about the players. The one thats doing the rounds now is 'Eoghan O'Donnell best fullback in the country'. Not that they're wrong its just it hints that they haven't actually watched the game. I can't really blame them. Are Dublin the only side (bar Carlow) that weren't shown on RTE this year? Even in the highlights programme you're lucky if you get 30 seconds on a Dublin game. RTE think we're also rans. The Munster hurling fraternity do too tbh.

Have to wait for the Hurling Show with Shane Stapleton to get any reasonable insight. Eddie Brennan wasn't too bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Not familiar with our team me ballcocks. (Pardon my French.) You could lock that shower into a room, put all of our games on a non stop video loop & they'd still look down their noses at us. Which is perfectly understandable to a degree. Respect has to be earned. With medals. In Croke Park. In September. But let's not sugar coat their attitude as being a by-product of something it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

ProudDUB wrote:
    Brace yourself for lots of praise for how big, strong & athletic we are....blah blah blah...

The piece on Conal was exactly that. He was always a far better hurler than footballer, same as Shane Ryan back in the day. They look down their noses at the lads who once played county football and then go back to the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The piece on Conal was exactly that. He was always a far better hurler than footballer, same as Shane Ryan back in the day. They look down their noses at the lads who once played county football and then go back to the hurling.

Reckon they'd look down their noses at Brian Corcoran?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Not familiar with our team me ballcocks. (Pardon my French.) You could lock that shower into a room, put all of our games on a non stop video loop & they'd still look down their noses at us. Which is perfectly understandable to a degree. Respect has to be earned. With medals. In Croke Park. In September. But let's not sugar coat their attitude as being something it's not.

Ah the angry chip on the shoulder motif.

In essence i was agreeing with you though. I think i said they think we're also rans but that doesn't change the fact they're ill prepared to talk about the players. They are unfamiliar with our players btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Reckon they'd look down their noses at Brian Corcoran?

Quite possibly. Say that he was a manufactured hurler when he made the comeback as a forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

corny wrote: »
    Ah the angry chip on the shoulder motif.

In essence i was agreeing with you though. I think i said they think we're also rans but that doesn't change the fact they're ill prepared to talk about the players. They are unfamiliar with our players btw.

I noticed that myself it does not help that they rarely send a panelist to a Dublin hurling game.
    It is normally Eddie Brennan or the like who say well "I was not at the game, but judging by the result."
    Then he talks in generalities before he moves on to the next subject,

There definitely is a real snobbery. There was a lot of naval gazing about the demise of Offaly. And without a hint of irony Donal Og says "If there still only 8/9 competitive hurling counties in 10 years time' we have failed hurling" :D

I think the truth is most so called 'hurling people' are more than happy with the status quo, keep the big guns exempt from relegation in Munster etc.
    Give the other teams a few crumbs as long as they are no threat.
    Unless the 'traditonal counties' get in trouble they only worry then.
    Because as far as most of them are concerned hurling is the best sport ever, and there is no such thing as a bad game of hurling etc etc :rolleyes:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

corny wrote:
    . I think i said they think we're also rans but that doesn't change the fact they're ill prepared to talk about the players. They are unfamiliar with our players btw.

They are right though, we've passed up some great opportunities to beat cork in recent years too, but lost them in the last 5 minutes.

Ultimately you'd need a few wins to come up in their estimation and rightly so. This will still be seen as a blip anyway, JC at 50 percent, Galway being Galway etc, and rightly so. It was a win under these conditions. Galway are out due to their collective performances over the last few games.

It's still great, but we have to be realistic at the same time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It is !!!

We know there certainly is. I think they speak about is great games in the LHC but without the quality of hurling in the MHC. It is partly true imo, doesn't mean it's a huge gap. You've people saying the same thing about the LFC if you took Dublin out of it. Look at Waterford they are in Munster and have had some fantastic hurlers, eventually they had some provincial success, but were never taken as seriously as say limerick now, a county that was banging at the door for a shorter period of time than Waterford but the win in a time with a mediocre Kilkenny side delivered that respect. In many ways it's very fair, anything short of a win is a failure, that is imo how the elite of the hurling world view silver and bronze medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I don't give a sh** about whether pundits rate us a hurling county, I'm just sick of turning on the sunday game and seeing a two hour show with about 40 minutes of actual games on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I don't give a sh** about whether pundits rate us a hurling county, I'm just sick of turning on the sunday game and seeing a two hour show with about 40 minutes of actual games on it.

RTE don’t have the ability to produce the relevant clips into anything longer. They need to pad time out by letting the pundits talk about whatever they want. They could show it in an hour but then would need to buy something else to fill air time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

CatInABox wrote: »
    Some point by Nolan, when I read about it, I just assumed that he was further up the pitch.

Was behind the far goal, and was weird just looking at it sailing over. More amazing when you see the video. 110 yards? Wind was there, but jaysus not that much!

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    RTE don’t have the ability to produce the relevant clips into anything longer. They need to pad time out by letting the pundits talk about whatever they want. They could show it in an hour but then would need to buy something else to fill air time.

RTE are missing a real trick with the amount of coverage and games, there could be two separate channels dedicated to the GAA both hurling and football during the championship months in particular.

TG4 make a right show of the coverage that RTE do. When you see what TG4 do with a limited budget for the club game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I couldn't get to Parnell Park on Saturday for personal reasons, I had to give my tickets away.

It found the paucity of coverage via highlights or the Sunday Game very disappointing. And I say that for lots of other games that aren't televised.

There must be a real market for a highlights package without the talking heads. Football and hurling.

D9Male wrote: »
    I couldn't get to Parnell Park on Saturday for personal reasons, I had to give my tickets away.

It found the paucity of coverage via highlights or the Sunday Game very disappointing. And I say that for lots of other games that aren't televised.

There must be a real market for a highlights package without the talking heads. Football and hurling.

Plus the added insult was that TSG put a spin on thier collage highlights of Wexford/KK Dublin/Galway. Des Cahill said it was because they wanted to re-create the drama :rolleyes:

Who are they codding?

Stoner wrote: »
    They are right though, we've passed up some great opportunities to beat cork in recent years too, but lost them in the last 5 minutes.

Ultimately you'd need a few wins to come up in their estimation and rightly so. This will still be seen as a blip anyway, JC at 50 percent, Galway being Galway etc, and rightly so. It was a win under these conditions. Galway are out due to their collective performances over the last few games.

It's still great, but we have to be realistic at the same time.

I think its hard to ignore the form lines though. Galway beat Dublin by 1 point last year and lost to them this year. Anyone claiming supremacy in Leinster isn't really grounding it in fact. There's nothing between the teams as evidenced by closeness of the results. Even though they claim superiority i wouldn't be conceding that the standard is far higher in Munster either. Tipp and Limerick might have an edge but its nothing that can't be overcome in a one off game. As you say though up to us to prove ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

I think the truth is most so called 'hurling people' are more than happy with the status quo, keep the big guns exempt from relegation in Munster etc.
    Give the other teams a few crumbs as long as they are no threat.
    Unless the 'traditonal counties' get in trouble they only worry then.
    Because as far as most of them are concerned hurling is the best sport ever, and there is no such thing as a bad game of hurling etc etc :rolleyes:

Offaly are one of the traditional hurling counties and are in serious trouble and it doesn't seem like anything is being done about it.

Any true 'hurling people' I know are not happy with the status quo and actually want to see more counties progressing in hurling.

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Offaly are one of the traditional hurling counties and are in serious trouble and it doesn't seem like anything is being done about it.

Any true 'hurling people' I know are not happy with the status quo and actually want to see more counties progressing in hurling.

Offaly are hard case, but you can't keep maintaining counties in perpetual "tradition."

Where does that leave likes of Carlow, Westmeath, Laois, Kerry breaking their bollix to make a mark?

When we won II in 2005 they tried to keep us down. did same to Carlow and the Westies - who beat us in the pissings of rain in Portlaosie. Tradition my arse. you earn it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Offaly are right where they deserve to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

IrishAlice wrote: »

I dont know where these"true" hurling people are but when Offaly dominated Leinster I never heard a Kilkenny supporter say a good word about them.

Edgware wrote: »
    I dont know where these"true" hurling people are but when Offaly dominated Leinster I never heard a Kilkenny supporter say a good word about them.

:)

Babs said they learned hurling by looking over the ditch from Tipp!

that's what you are up against. Babs was great hurler, but as a person, bitter oul count. Even hates his own people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

RTE are missing a real trick with the amount of coverage and games, there could be two separate channels dedicated to the GAA both hurling and football during the championship months in particular.

TG4 make a right show of the coverage that RTE do. When you see what TG4 do with a limited budget for the club game.

RTE and TG4 between them are able to show simultaneous games in the FIFA womens world cup. No reason why they couldn't do the same with GAA. Or at least provide deferred coverage of crucial games yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement