Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Incorrect "pal".

You still haven't told the story about what happened at the final whistle. How were you on the pitch anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Yeah and he locked his arm around the neck of the Kerry lad first.

There's a better angle than this one here too.

It was handbags at best, but it was of his own making and he definitely instigated it

One frame proves nothing. I saw it. Kerry player wouldn't let him go. Fitzy had his hands up in the air and couldn't release the lock.

Meanwhile a Dublin player was clear in the opposing half and THAT is why Deegan called it back.

RTE commentator said as much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

STB. wrote: »
    One frame proves nothing. I saw it. Kerry player wouldn't let him go. Fitzy had his hands up in the air and couldn't release the lock.

Meanwhile a Dublin player was clear in the opposing half and THAT is why Deegan called it back.

I saw it too. You and the commentator are wrong. There's a better few frames. He clearly and definitely instigated it. He threw his arm around his neck first, there was retaliation. They both got yellow cards which was correct.

Dublin played better with 14 anyway

And the bolded part is delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,305 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

:D:D oh come on. Don't embarass yourself. He head locked the player both got booked and he already had a yellow. His own fault all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

What a game. Taught Fitz was unlucky. Ref was good but gave them a lot in the second half. No complaints because Kerry also missed a few in the second.
    Speed that game was played at was great. I love the league. I was in Tralee for that violent game nearly two years ago. And although we broke a record that night I would still rather have been there tonight.
    Wonder what the afters was all about???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

STB. wrote:

Yawn. Deflecting with the free which as you say should not of been called back doesn't change the incident. Kerry lad had the ball. Hand passed it away. Dublin guy engages. Does not release. Ends up putting a Kerry player in a head lock. Kerry player reacts and pushes him over the sideline. How you can think the Dublin player wasn't getting a another yellow is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭PingTing comes for Fire

Kerry very good and Dublin didn't play well at all. Kerry should have won by more. . A beneficial kick up the hole to the Dublin squad, hopefully bring up the focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Roll on Summer. Don't think they'll get past the 8s again, but be nice to beat them soundly if in same group.

Ah the culchies in for the cheap shots on the Dubs thread. We can smell yis before yis even post.

We'll see how many are here come next September. Night girls.

STB. wrote:
    Ah the culchies in for the cheap shots on the Dubs thread. We can smell yis before yis even post.

Dubs aren't agreeing with you either. Maybe your night is done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Really enjoyed that game, was impressed that the lads got back level despite being a man down. Some level that both teams were at today.

Have to admit, I really prefer the league at this stage, despite the championship being a knockout formula, I find that there's more important games in the League.

Welcome to all the new posters in here today! It's unusual that we don't see this many new faces when Dublin are winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The Dublin thread is the place to be after we lose. For all they hate us, they sure are obsessed with us. Glorious.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that game, was impressed that the lads got back level despite being a man down. Some level that both teams were at today.

Have to admit, I really prefer the league at this stage, despite the championship being a knockout formula, I find that there's more important games in the League.

Welcome to all the new posters in here today! It's unusual that we don't see this many new faces when Dublin are winning.

Obsessed :cool:

Slattsy wrote:
    Obsessed

Dublin play a game on national broadcaster and posters post! Someone call Joe Duffy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭corny

Kerry very good and Dublin didn't play well at all. Kerry should have won by more. Typical of Kerry after game triumphalism though similar to how they stuck it in Tyrone's face in Killarney a few years ago. A beneficial kick up the hole to the Dublin squad, hopefully bring up the focus.

They got the beneficial kick up the hole in Clones.

Our defenders are losing too many personal battles. Thats the highest score we've given up in the league under Gavin and it comes on the back of a similarly shaky display against Monaghan. We can be got at and i wouldn't pass it off as a lack of fitness either.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,305 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jaysus lads, it was an important game and an enjoyable one. No need to start the 'we are poor victims' stuff :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We'll see how many are here come next September. Night girls.

I'm a Dub thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Not winning the league could well be a blessing in disguise

Kerry with loads of players to come back. No way we can compete with them, might as well give them Sam now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Jaysus lads, it was an important game and an enjoyable one. No need to start the 'we are poor victims' stuff :rolleyes:

In all fairness, apart from a very quick boost the league means nothing to the big 4 or 5. It's an awful pity it isn't the main competition though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭C__MC

corny wrote: »

Our defenders are losing too many personal battles. Thats the highest score we've given up in the league under Gavin and it comes on the back of a similarly shaky display against Monaghan. We can be got at and i wouldn't pass it off as a lack of fitness either.

Dublin defense has always been vurerable at times during the Gavin era. From I’d say 5-15, it’s been to another level to say the least and has sort masked over any vulnerability in the full back line.

It’s early days but Kerry and Mayo I firmly believe pose a threat to this 5 in a row but it’s still Dublin’s to lose!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

On the whole "controversy" with Fitzsimmons, looking at it in real time (I haven't seen any replays), I thought the Kerry guy grabbed a hold of Fitzsimmons around waist and shoulder, who tried to appeal for a free..... for all of about a second. Then he stupidly got the Kerry guy in a headlock, and there was a bit of handbags with him.

All in all, he deserved a yellow for being so stupid.

Slattsy wrote: »
    The Dublin thread is the place to be after we lose. For all they hate us, they sure are obsessed with us. Glorious.

We get them on the Mayo thread too, best ignored.

Entertaining game, nothing like seeing long reigning champions taking a couple of light beatings to wet the country's appetite. But I wouldn't worry too much if I was a dub, Dublin have played 27 players over the past two games! Which is the right thing to do, I just suprised so much reliance is still being placed on Cluxton as he won't be around forever.

Will be interesting to see who they put out for Mayo next, won't want to lose that one.

We'll keep it civil this year ;-)

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'm a Dub thank you very much.

Must be terrible to have to keep explaining that in the GAA fora.

Weepsie wrote:
    Dublin are absolute filth. That's why I don't like them despite being from Dublin.

They are the most cynical, professional team going. Don't deserve it. Gifted it by tactical fouls, general scumbaggery and awul officials

Hard to win against them at the best of times but the ref was a disgrace

They're lauded for being some sort of free flowing behemoth that play correctly but they're as wretched to watch as Donegal and Armagh were

But it's hardly surprising with type shítetalk. Careful you don't scuff the sides of the forum with your bike shoes on the way out Lance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

C__MC wrote: »
    Dublin defense has always been vurerable at times during the Gavin era. From I’d say 5-15, it’s been to another level to say the least and has sort masked over any vulnerability in the full back line.

It’s early days but Kerry and Mayo I firmly believe pose a threat to this 5 in a row but it’s still Dublin’s to lose!

Yeah that Kerry goal immediately made me think of that Comer goal for Galway in the championship.
    Such a simple tactic under used by Dublin's opponents.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

We get them on the Mayo thread too, best ignored.

Entertaining game, nothing like seeing long reigning champions taking a couple of light beatings to wet the country's appetite. But I wouldn't worry too much if I was a dub, Dublin have played 27 players over the past two games! Which is the right thing to do, I just suprised so much reliance is still being placed on Cluxton as he won't be around forever.

Will be interesting to see who they put out for Mayo next, won't want to lose that one.

We'll keep it civil this year ;-)

And where's Mr Gilhooley tonight? ;)

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Not winning the league could well be a blessing in disguise

Kerry with loads of players to come back. No way we can compete with them, might as well give them Sam now

Well that is the situation now. You shouldn't be able to do both every year anyway.

I see tweets that tonight's result is some form of saviour of football. I don't agree it just means that the Dubs have one goal to concentrate on now. It also makes it easier to see out the rest of the league as a training ground for new blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It was a great game you would not have known there was bad weather conditions the way both teams played.
    Didn't like losing that game hate losing to Kerry.
    But Kerry deserved it the two indvidual Dublin goals put a gloss on the scoreline.
    Kerry were extremely accurate in fairness. Some great scores from play and O'Shea looks like 'Byran Sheehan 2.0 ' for the frees.
    The question for Kerry is can they replicate it when both sides play thier full strength and the pressure is on?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭PingTing comes for Fire

corny wrote: »

I wouldn't isolate it just to a bad defensive display.
    We had less possession and where turn overs happened was all over the pitch. In possession some times the build up was overly slow and ponderous and then on numerous occasions a sudden decision was made to deliver a really bad direct ball in. Which Kerry won. Unfamiliar lack of fluidity to the attack. Maybe bad conditions and Kerry's good work rate and defending contributed. Dublin can and will do a lot better in their attacking play.

I would have liked to have seen Flatman play again.

On the plus side - Gavin is going to be a tremendous player.

I thought we actually played pretty well tonight. Lots to improve on obviously (as Kerry will) but i've seen us play worse and win, and sometimes that glosses things. No complaints really.

I've no idea where Howard was playing tonight, he seemed to be all over the pitch, some man for one man!

• Advertisement

It's one of the things that I've been disappointed with the Gavin era. Cluxton, great as he is, isn't getting any younger. Did we really need to play Cluxton in every game? I'm sure the Dublin training set up is amazing, but it's no substitute for proper game time, and Comerford hasn't gotten enough at all for my liking.

There's more than a few Leinster games that Comerford could have started which we were never going to lose, even a few of those games would shake some of the nervousness out of him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement