Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 212 Holloway v Aldo Sat 3rd June

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Not draining enough too make him stop throwing them altogether its his bread and butter through his career, I think the writing was on the wall when Mendes re arranged his face and dropped him twice, that fight took lumps out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Yeah maybe. The accumulation of Mendes and Conor fights maybe. Still doesn't explain why he's given up on the kicks. Or how he did so well against Frankie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Great, now get Frankie in there asap

Not overly excited by this. Different style of fighter but he fell well short against Aldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

qwabercd wrote:
    Not overly excited by this. Different style of fighter but he fell well short against Aldo.

Would love to see that fight. It's really the only fight to make at FW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Absolutely delighted for max. Didn't Conor say jose will never be the same again after their fight. Guess he had a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭xtal191

Will never happen but if I was Aldo I'd be following Gadelha and Barao out of Nova Uniao.

As mentioned earlier the Brazilians are falling behind, he's still only 30 and the only way I see Aldo improving is by moving camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Edgar clearly the only contender at FW. They've never fought, no reason to not make the fight. Everything Holloway has said or done suggests he'll take on anyone so can't see him having any problem with it. There's not much left for Holloway at FW - defence or two and he'll move up I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Was rooting for Max so happy he got the win.

Aldo was winning the fight up till the stoppage. Whether that was Max purposely starting slow because Aldo usually slows a bit in the latter rounds in a possibility. The shot that dropped him was accurate but didn't seem powerful. Maybe his chin isn't what it used to be.

He had plenty of chances to get back to his feet and once he didn't pop up the way he usually does I knew he was done. Can't just lie there getting tagged giving the odd thumbs up for 3 minutes and expect to see out the clock. Stoppage was fully justified imo.

Edgar will be an interesting opponent for Max. His tireless work rate and takedowns will pose a different challenge. Aldo just had Frankies number but vs anyone else at 145 he's been dominant.

I agree Conor would smoke Max based on last night though. Once he connects it's lights out. We need the Notorious one back in the octagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Would love to see that fight. It's really the only fight to make at FW.

Agreed it's the fight to make, just don't think the division is hugely interesting any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Aldo threw 11 leg kicks in his last 5 fights, Don't know why people are Suprised he didn't throw any last night. He either hurt it before or got scared after seeing Anderson Silvas leg break.

Delighted for Max, he will become the greatest FW of all time if he beats Frankie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

There's not much left for Holloway at FW - defence or two and he'll move up I think.

I'd love to see him fight Tony Ferguson although I wouldn't fancy his chances in that matchup.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

qwabercd wrote: »

And he's destroyed everyone else, quite a few people wrote him off for his last fight against Yair and he smoked him. Aldo is the only guy who has ever made Frankie look ordinary

And he's destroyed everyone else, quite a few people wrote him off for his last fight against Yair and he smoked him. Aldo is the only guy who has ever made Frankie look ordinary

Pmsl many times did Maynard have him on queer st? even Stephens nearly kicked his head into oblivion not long ago, Max will destroy him with ease.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Pmsl many times did Maynard have him on queer st? even Stephens nearly kicked his head into oblivion not long ago, Max will destroy him with ease.

And every time he was hit he came back and he eventually knocked him, hardly an ordinary fighter :rolleyes: You honestly think Holloway will destroy him with ease, something no one has ever done? I'm pretty sure you were one of the ones who thought Yair would KO Frankie, how did that work out for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Delighted for Max, he will become the greatest FW of all time if he beats Frankie.

When you say greatest of all time, do you mean based on his excellent win streak? Or do you mean on the balance of everything, he is the greatest featherweight?

Because if it is the latter, surely you can't claim Max is a better FW than McGregor?

And I wouldn't even use the defeat to McG against him, long time ago and all that. Both have evolved. Still think Max doesn't have the attributes to beat McGregor.

And every time he was hit he came back and he eventually knocked him, hardly an ordinary fighter :rolleyes: You honestly think Holloway will destroy him with ease, something no one has ever done? I'm pretty sure you were one of the ones who thought Yair would KO Frankie, how did that work out for you ;)

Nope I hoped he would ko edgar theres a difference, there is every chance Holloway will murder Edgar considering he gave Aldo the worst hiding of his life last night, Edgar is an o.g of the game but he will have nothing but a few failed takedown attempts for Max before hes finished eventually, will have a bet for charity on the fight with you when its made should you fancy one.

Frankie to be slept by a capoeira kick here
    That's hoping huh?
    Nope I hoped he would ko edgar theres a difference, there is every chance Holloway will murder Edgar considering he gave Aldo the worst hiding of his life last night, Edgar is an o.g of the game but he will have nothing but a few failed takedown attempts for Max before hes finished eventually, will have a bet for charity on the fight with you when its made should you fancy one.

What are you betting on, that Frankie loses or gets destroyed with ease, or even finished? But yeah go on, 50 quid, charity of choice.

That's hoping huh?

What are you betting on, that Frankie loses or gets destroyed with ease, or even finished? But yeah go on, 50 quid, charity of choice.

Ah come on you're reaching now going back searching for quotes and that was the best you could find a comment with capoeira ko ffs :pac:

No just winner of the fight 50e goes to charity of winners choice, hope its in New York on GSP Bisping undercard Nov time.

Ah come on you're reaching now going back searching for quotes and that was the best you could find a comment with capoeira ko ffs :pac:

No just winner of the fight 50e goes to charity of winners choice, hope its in New York on GSP Bisping undercard Nov time.

Hardly, I remember being surprised at the time by people writing off Frankie so easily, but considering you're backing down now on your destroyed with ease stuff maybe your weren't being serious there alright.

Winner is grand, PM whenever it happensdesismileys_4387.gif

• Advertisement

Aldo Cub 2 is the fight to make next for Jose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Aldo Cub 2 is the fight to make next for Jose.

I'm not sure Jose will be back but a 155 fight against Khabib would be unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

I think Aldo could retire tbh, don't think he has the mentality to build himself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I think Aldo could retire tbh, don't think he has the mentality to build himself up.

I think so too....there's a touch of the Ronda Rousey wobbles about him

He came back from the most embarrassing loss probably in mma history, he will be back from this wreck someone and then could retire on a win I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

He came back from the most embarrassing loss probably in mma history, he will be back from this wreck someone and then could retire on a win I think.

Reckon he may face cub swanson next. Im sure cub would want to erase his quick loss to aldo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I'd love to see him fight Tony Ferguson although I wouldn't fancy his chances in that matchup.

God no, I think Max would be murdered tbh, and there are so many delicious fights for Tony before that, don't you think? At least I hope so, can't wait to see him again :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Ronda and Jose share something in common:

They were dominant against certain types of opponents but the game evolved past them.

Jose looked exceptional against Frankie at UFC 200 but Frankie is a short wrestler. He looked great against Chad in the rematch. Another wrestler. Great against Faber. Short wrestler.

MMA striking evolved past the likes of Hominick and Florian. Guys like Conor and Max (and Holly and Amanda) use better footwork, better movement, better timing, better use of angles and distance.

Aldo is still a phenomenal fighter and if you throw him any typical featherweight or lightweight wrestler with an overhand I'd be backing him to win. I.e. throw him an Edgar or an Alvarez and he'll take them apart over 5 rounds.

He was once the elite striker at the lower weight classes but the striking game has gone by him.

The best thing the UFC can do now for Aldo is to give him Cub Swanson again and rebuild his confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Ronda and Jose share something in common:

They were dominant against certain types of opponents but the game evolved past them.

Jose looked exceptional against Frankie at UFC 200 but Frankie is a short wrestler. He looked great against Chad in the rematch. Another wrestler. Great against Faber. Short wrestler.

MMA striking evolved past the likes of Hominick and Florian. Guys like Conor and Max (and Holly and Amanda) use better footwork, better movement, better timing, better use of angles and distance.

Aldo is still a phenomenal fighter and if you throw him any typical featherweight or lightweight wrestler with an overhand I'd be backing him to win. I.e. throw him an Edgar or an Alvarez and he'll take them apart over 5 rounds.

He was once the elite striker at the lower weight classes but the striking game has gone by him.

The best thing the UFC can do now for Aldo is to give him Cub Swanson again and rebuild his confidence.

Aldo is infinitely more rounded and skilled than ronda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement