Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭JPup

I agree with this. Move to one standard fare. When you enter the bus, you should be able to pay with a leap card or debit/credit card by tapping the validator. Remove coin machine. Cut out 99% of driver interactions that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 n1ey

You are asking for BRT. It's a real concept. It features full dedicated right of ways. You could also have dedicated bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Was reading earlier that there will be 24 hour services coming as part of the next round of busconnects in November .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Excuse my ignorance on the topic but has there been an date announced for the official role out of bus connects with the updated bus numbers and the likes? I very rarely take the bus as I bike most places but if I was to get the bus into town id normally nope on the 15 from Knocklyon but that looks likes now going to be called the A1 route. Well that is unless I'm completely reading the online map wrong!ha 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's being rolled out in phases between now and the distant future. The Howth routes have been done already, next phase is in November.

• Advertisement

Ah right fair enough. Is there still talk of widening/freeing up some of the bus corridors so they can move through morning and evening traffic at a better pace or is that stage years away. Id imagine space is limited or non existent for such works on some of the routes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's still in the consultation/planning phase, I think they're hoping to apply for permission early next year. Expect completion around the same time as the Metro, i.e. when we're all long dead in the ground...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

As well as the three Dublin Bus services (15, 39a and 41) that operate on a 24-hour basis, the NTA has said that the BusConnects C-spine serving the Lucan from Ringsend and Sandymount will also begin a 24-hour schedule before the end of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,559 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Pretty much the plan for the network rollout is:

2021 - H Spine and C Spine

2022 - N Orbitals; W Orbitals; S Orbitals; O Orbital; G Spine

2023 - F Spine; E Spine; D Spine

2024 - A Spine; B Spine; South Dublin radials (through Ranelagh)

Along with each spine, the associated radial and local routes will be implemented too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So is C spine going to be 24 hour just to lucan or as far as Maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

It was reported in thejournal.ie article about next Friday's return of the Nitlelink yesterday that the C-Spine will operate a 24 hour schedule from the 28th of November. Have we got any official word yet as to which C route is going to run that schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

Someone posted on another forum yesterday that the new route 52 is set to be the 24 hour route (link https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/irishtransport/garage-changes-t17763.html). Seems a bit odd to me as that route will effectively mimic the current route 66x alignment to Glen Easton in Leixlip (where it will terminate), meaning that it would be of limited use to people in Lucan as there are very few bus stops along the Lucan bypass and Celbridge and Maynooth would have no 24 hour service.

I was hoping that they would go for an hourly service during the night on each individual C spine route. If that is too ambitious I think they should set up a special night bus route instead of designating one daytime route as 24 hour. A bus route that follows the route of the current route 66b to Leixlip, extended to Maynooth via Celbridge would be the ideal solution IMO as this would provide all C spine areas with an overnight service in one route. While the route would be a bit circuitous for those in Maynooth and Celbridge the lack of traffic during the night should compensate for that in terms of journey time. Designating the new route 52 as a 24 hour route (effectively an express bus to Leixlip) would be a missed opportunity in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That's the CBC (Core Bus Corridor) project, a part of the bus connects project. I'd say you may just forget about that tbh. The political situation at present just wouldn't see it happen. The Táiniste threw out the democratic process a few weeks ago in relation to DART+ West so that a wealthy constituent would get to keep his horse stables, this was done in full view of the media and not an eyelid was batted (we accept open corruption in this country I suppose). There's enough well connected and monied folk on the strand road to prevent a cycle lane being built. All they have to do is fork out a few grand for judicial review and they probably know the judge who will decide their case, this is also why DART+ Coastal will be unable to close the merrion gates level crossing. That's how the system works at the moment.

There's enough wealthy people along most of the core bus corridors to pay an influential TD or get some judge to intervene in the process because they will loose some of their gardens to CPO or will have to drive slightly further in their SUVs. Until we have a reformed political system with politics removed from infrastructure advancement and lengthy prison sentences for corruption that won't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

FG.

For the few, not the many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I don't think so. AFAIK, 24/7 will be the route 52 which is Collinstown Industrial Park (Leixlip) - Ringsend. Would be great to have it split to 52A, 52B and maybe 52C to reach Maynooth, Celbridge and Adamstown during the night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

So the W6 connection between Celbridge and Maynooth is not being brought in together with the C spine and the 67 is going. What happens to areas next to introduced spines? Is the 239 still going through Lucan/Blanchardstown or will it be the L52? The L13 from Kilternan is running along the C1/C2 starting point but also crosses the B spine and E spine, which spine is it going to be associated with?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

Ok. The route training I received was wrong then. C3/C4 will be the night routes. Slightly modified to serve Chapelizod.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I must say, I really like the C3 and C4 every hour approach. So every half an hour to Lucan and every hour to Leixlip, Celbridge and Maynooth.

52 makes no sense to me. It only serves Leixlip and it barely serves Lucan.

• Advertisement

As I understand it, the C4 will continue to operate the link between Celbridge and Maynooth for now as per route 67, at least until the W6 is launched next year.

The 239 will be replaced by the L51, L52, and the L53.

The L13 (replacing the 47) is seen as being associated with the Ranelagh radials, so won’t happen until 2024. The 47 will remain in situ as now.

I hope you're right. It's pity that Adamstown and all the other areas as per existing 25A & 25B, would seem, won't have a 24/7 service.

I think more sense would be to cover Leixlip, Celbridge and Maynooth with one route at night and Adamstown direction with another route.

I would tend to view anything posted by that particular poster on that forum with a significant health warning, as they've had form for posting stuff in the past that has been anything but the complete picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Are you suggesting that FG should directly intervene in the planning process? A la the corruption of the 80s and 90s?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I did think that having the 52 as a 24 hour route was strange. The C3/C4 routes make much more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

I would regard the 52 being a 24-hour service no more than "terminus gossip between drivers", so to speak, until we get schedules confirmed (either publically or internally).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭rx8

The Night services will be C5 and C6. Running from Ringsend to Maynooth. C5 via Celbridge, C6 via Leixlip.

Both will serve Chapelizod and Captains Hill.

No firm start date as of yet.

I wonder, why the NTA is missing an opportunity to do a C5 or whatever to Maynooth via Lucan Village, Leixlip and Celbridge or similar, leaving Chapelizod alone, while the C6 to Adamstown via Chapelizod, Castle Rd and Esker Manor?

• Advertisement

That seems like a good idea. There is some value in having Celbridge and Leixlip linked in that manner as well. One slight caveat though is that the residents of Captain’s Hill probably wouldn’t be happy to lose the direct service they currently enjoy with the 66n. The circuitous route to Maynooth via Lucan, Leixlip and Celbridge villages could also be a hard sell.

In time I think the NTA will have to consider also running a night bus to Adamstown similar to the route of the 25n.

Advertisement