Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

Official announcement today that the C-spine is put back to Sunday 28th November.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Where does the official announcement come from? I can't find it at the moment. Are you able to give a link so we can look at it? TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Has there been any talk of cancellation of the core bus corridors project yet? Seems the other transport projects are cancelled, even though DART and Metro had very few nimby 'concerns'. Don't see how taking the front gardens of nimbys and reducing capacity for cars can be delivered in the present political situation. The smaller projects: liffey cycle route, clontarf cycle route etc seem to be quietly dropped (just never mentioned again)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Doesn't look like that MOS story re DART and Metrolink was true, thankfully!

https://youtu.be/Z4vVz4ucDUk

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

Do you know what is replacing the 1 so? For example how is someone meant to get from Oconnell street to ringsend for example?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The NTA have confirmed that Dublin Bus will operate the Orbital Route O and Go Ahead Ireland will operate the orbital route N2 when they go live.

What depot will Route O run from when it goes live?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There won’t be a direct route from O’Connell Street per se to/from Ringsend anymore.

The C Spine (Lucan Road) buses are being re-routed to Ringsend and Sandymount, following the current southern half of route 1 from Townsend Street onwards.

They will serve Bachelors Walk/Aston Quay instead.

Details of the new network are here:

https://busconnects.ie/initiatives/new-dublin-area-bus-network/

The revised final planned network map is here :

https://busconnects.ie/media/1996/big-picture-map-170920-oe-web.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Does anyone have a link to the current programme for the roll out of each route?

At present the plan is (subject to funding, as they do all involve expanding the fleet):

Nov 2021 - C Spine and associated local routes

2022 - N Orbitals; W Orbitals; S Orbitals; O Orbital; G Spine

2023 - F Spine; E Spine; D Spine

2024 - A Spine; B Spine; South Dublin radials (through Ranelagh)

• Advertisement

It's an internal company announcement from one of the executives in charge. I'm sure something official will be announced shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Do we.know which local routes will launch with the C spine?

All of the local “L” routes along the spine.

Reference the map that I linked to already above.

Planned frequencies are all on the BusConnects Network page and at the link below

https://busconnects.ie/media/1988/a3-frequency-tables-061020-fa.pdf

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

L51 and L52, which will replace the 239, and to be operated by Go-Ahead. Twenty-something new stop locations are coming in with just those two routes.

L53, L54, L58, and L59, which will supplement other areas left behind by the 239, and local connections for the areas unique to 66A and 66B, and to be operated by Dublin Bus. Logically I would assume they'd be worked out of Conyngham Road, but they could just as well be Phibsboro at this rate.

The 25D, 25X, 66X and 67X will be replaced by a plethora of individually numbered X and P routes, all of them remaining with Dublin Bus.

@rx8, is there any word on proposed schedules for any of the routes, or is it still too early for any of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Number 1 was a great service for the northside, useful for reaching its southside destinations, drivers were'nt tools, was reliable and rarely over capacity

Obviously something needed to be done urgently to bring in line with the NTAs vision of public transport.

The 1 will remain on the north side for now until a later phase when the A Spine happens. If you’re going to Ringsend and Sandymount you’ll have to change at what is likely to be the last stop on Townsend Street heading south to one of the C Spine routes (C1, C2, C3 or C4), or on Pearse Street in the other direction.

The network is going to change significantly, and there was massive consultation on this.

Obviously it won’t suit everyone but people will need in certain cases to change where they have a direct cross-city route now.

The new 90 minute travel ticket will mean no fare penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Even though I found the 1 to be really useful when I catch it for work before the pandemic, the reality is that it's a totally under-utilised route and those resources probably could have been better deployed elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Very handy for getting to Grand Canal Dock area from the Northside. A change on Townsend St is grand. Re being underutilised, have no idea why the frequency was increased a few years ago at the same time the 33 frequency was reduced.

Even so. On Saturday Leo himself went behind Irish Rail's back, promised a local stable owner an alternative will be found. So the whole process is worthless if a corrupt politician can just change the course of the design process on a whim. The same will obviously be done to bus connects until it is no longer a useful piece of infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I saw the public consultation, a PR excercise as usual. I won't be changing buses, I'll be driving in the instances where I used to hop on the 1.

Sure does needs to be brought in line with making public transport as miserable as possible. Our job had a town hall about WFH/back to work and the biggest issue was that people do not want use buses again, demanding that car parking and hybrid be tiered in a way that people can drive in.

• Advertisement

Actually that consultation was anything but a PR exercise.

The plan changed dramatically between the first and and second draft and there were significant changes between that second draft and the final version, all based on passenger input.

At the end of the day, it may not suit your particular needs, but I’ve never come across a network change that pleases everyone.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If my personal opinion didn't make the final version, it was a PR exercise.

The O route will need new vehicles as it’s incremental to the existing fleet - presumably some of the electrically powered single deck buses that the NTA have on order for delivery next year.

FYI The bus companies don’t own the buses anymore, the NTA do - they can be swapped between operators if needs be.

The ADL Enviro200EV will start trickling in from January. Initially to Bus Éireann in Athlone but Dublin Bus should get enough to operate the O by June 2022.

The N2 and O will require 32 additional vehicles.

19 additional vehicles for W4 and W6.

25 for N4 and N6 in addition to the 16 vehicles used on the 17a and the DCU routes.

How many ADL 200EV's will be needed for BÉ in Athlone along with the allocation for Dublin Bus?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Do Dublin Bus own enough single decker buses?"

They have two :D WS class, and they are short models and only single door, completely unsuited to this type of service.

As others have said the new electric BYD-ADL200EV will operate this route.

Some initial drafts of schedules have been given to union reps, but nothing distributed yet to drivers. They are still working out who is moving where and how much compensation they will get for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

When is the 90 minute fare coming in? I’m just sick of the fares in this city making no sense, more expensive for a 3km bus trip than it is for my 15km Luas journey home. I got kicked off a bus for underpaying, driver came upstairs and said “this is your stop”. Fair enough I was being a cheeky git but I was just chancing my arm. Can’t wait to see the back of it all.

Advertisement