Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake 50 and 20 euros notes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Can you get on to Apple with the serial and model number, perhaps they can blacklist the machine similar to how they can with iPhone? He may get back in touch with you to complain about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

frag420 wrote: »
    Can you get on to Apple with the serial and model number, perhaps they can blacklist the machine similar to how they can with iPhone? He may get back in touch with you to complain about it?

Thats not happenning .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Did you try locating it through iCloud account?

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT204756

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Check for it on sale elsehwere would be another route if you still have the number do some checking anyway because it could be off now and back on later down the road

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

beaner92 wrote: »
    So am I just down 1300. That's it ? Is there any hope at all ?... should I just forget and move on?

Can you contact Apple and explain the situation? They may be able to remotely lock the laptop in case of theft, but this is a bit of a grey area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Masala wrote:
    How did u not spot them.... fakes are usually bad!! Bad paper and no watermark

It is very difficult to get the texture and raised ink. If you looked at them properly, you would have noticed it

I work in a shop, some fake notes are very good. We had one in and the only way to know it was fake was the serial numbers didn't match up. It had the raised ink (which doesn't apply to new notes), it even had the splatters that show up under UV light. Another had raised ink but tiny, barely noticable indents on the other side. It's a lot harder to tell with the new notes. Another the only way to tell it was fake was there were no splatters on the white part. Sometimes, the only way to tell a fake is by sitting down and thoroughly examining it, and if someone hands you over 1300 worth of 50s, you're not going to examine each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭beaner92

I'm signed out of iCloud, ironically my house mate works for Apple. There's nothing they can do. You can blacklist devices with Apple. Only put them in lost mode.

Furthermore blacklisting can only be done with imei on iPhones or smart phones by the network not Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Did you let the guys know in adverts.ie? hopefully they can block his account and stop someone else getting caught.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Chances are he has a few adverts.is accounts and may sell the computer on,check for it for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Keep checking adverts.ie for him, whether its the account he used for dealing with you or another account that is interested in buying a similar expensive laptop and using the same sort of online patter.

To be fair, for big ticket items on Adverts/Donedeal, I'd rather they came to the house to buy or vice versa if they're selling something. The fact he was willing to meet in a park would have set the alarm bells ringing for me. I think its OK to meet someone at lunchtime or in a carpark to buy/sell a cheaper item, not for something expensive. And Obviously, only meeting after doing all due diligence by checking their feedback and speaking on the phone etc.

I hope you get your money back OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,618 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are those markers shops use to check notes reliable at spotting fakes?

I've heard of people putting sun cream on the notes to mess with the UV detection.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,618 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Were they new style 20's and 50's or old or a mix of both?

Are you 100% sure they are fakes? Perhaps on the new notes the person checking them wrote on the hollograms with the pen test?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It's a case of buyer beware I'm afraid, with a lesson on personal responsibility added in for good measure. Let the Garda deal with it now, although you're unlikely to hear anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Toots wrote: »
    Can you contact Apple and explain the situation? They may be able to remotely lock the laptop in case of theft, but this is a bit of a grey area.

The macbook should be registered to your Apple account - check it and see if you have options to report stolen etc

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

Are you certain they are fakes and not the new/old notes? What feature makes you think they are fake?

Your man in lidl may have been wrong. Though unlikely. But I would double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Are you certain they are fakes and not the new/old notes? What feature makes you think they are fake?

Your man in lidl may have been wrong. Though unlikely. But I would double check.

I'm sure the Garda certified that they were fake and they now have them in their possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I got 200 euro out of atm in Liffey street and went to pay for meal 30 euro (all fake). Was first date with guy. Embarrassing! But made it through bank. They did refund. Guy gave me real money for fakes

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

Was the guy young or old? I had a similar enough experience recently with an iPhone stolen from me and I was paid with fake notes. If you want to drop me a pm we could chat about it and if it's the same person we might be able to get the Gards to link the cases. Guards have CCTV of my guy but haven't identified him yet.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057713224

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would bring the notes to the Bank and get them to check them. I handed notes into a shop and was told that they were fake (notes given to me as a birthday gift). Brought them to the Bank, they carried out a few checks and told me that they were real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Check Done Deal as well, and follow up on this other user that gave him feedback. Look at the comments, look at what the other seller sold and if the location matches the person who ripped you off. It could be a second account of his

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

I recently sold a PS4, used one of those pens to check the money. Felt guilty at the time because he was so obviously a nice person but now not so much

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

amtc wrote:
    I got 200 euro out of atm in Liffey street and went to pay for meal 30 euro (all fake). Was first date with guy. Embarrassing! But made it through bank. They did refund. Guy gave me real money for fakes

What?? Are you saying an ATM dispensed counterfeit notes?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

tedpan wrote: »

Plenty of ATMs are loaded by retailers etc with notes from their takings; also you do get ATMs with used notes in them at other times too. Its not unheard of for fakes to end up that way.

tedpan wrote: »
    amtc wrote:

Yep. Was boi atm in Liffey street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

L1011 wrote: »
    Plenty of ATMs are loaded by retailers etc with notes from their takings; also you do get ATMs with used notes in them at other times too. Its not unheard of for fakes to end up that way.

ATM's in shops can have fake notes from time to time because retailers fill them like you say, but it's next to impossible for a bank to give out fake notes, they check them coming in and should be caught.
    One could get through on very rare occasions but the odds of multiple fake notes in one transaction is astronomical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Really? I personally witnessed a bank handing out fakes. A sealed pack of 50's was handed to a customer who insisted they be opened and counted. Out of the bundle there was 2 fakes and they were pretty terrible fakes. Naturally the embarrassed bank official replaced them for 2 genuine ones. But the bank was full of people who all witnessed this unfold.

It pays to check your notes, even those obtained from banks.

Why did you selectively quote my post when it goes on to say that on rare occasions it can happen?
    You agreed with what I said.

L1011 wrote: »

ATM's in shops can have fake notes from time to time because retailers fill them like you say, but it's next to impossible for a bank to give out fake notes, they check them coming in and should be caught.
    One could get through on very rare occasions but the odds of multiple fake notes in one transaction is astronomical.

Well I got 4 from the BOI atm! It was 2012 so maybe things have changed.

• Advertisement

amtc wrote: »
    Well I got 4 from the BOI atm! It was 2012 so maybe things have changed.

That was a day you should have done the lottery :D

Advertisement